Since our brain controls our experience of life, it would not be a stretch to say that creating a better life would start with creating a better brain. You can play brain games, read books, and learn techniques to make your brain work better. But what’s most overlooked is that all of the changes you’re able to make in your brain are dependent upon the food you eat.
On today’s episode of The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Shawn Stevenson, the author of the international bestselling book Sleep Smarter and creator of The Model Health Show, one of the top health podcasts in the world. A graduate of the University of Missouri–St. Louis, Shawn studied business, biology, and nutritional science, and went on to found Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a company that provides wellness services for individuals and organizations worldwide. Shawn has been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, The New York Times, Muscle & Fitness, ESPN, and many other major media outlets. He is also an in-demand keynote speaker for numerous organizations, universities, and conferences.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How improving magnesium levels can potentially reverse brain aging (0:43)
- Dehydration and cognitive decline (11:41)
- The direct impact of DHA and EPA on brain health (24:14)
- The best sources of DHA and EPA (30:30)
- The best foods to support cognition and brain function (44:20)
- How MCTs can help to improve the condition of Alzheimer’s disease (1:05:30)
- The biggest drivers of neuroinflammation (1:10:32)
- How oleocanthal-rich EVOO is able to restore the function of the blood-brain barrier (1:13:16)
- How industrial seed oils are making us sick (1:23:59)
- The top three things that are damaging our brain health (1:31:12)
For more on Shawn Stevenson you can follow him on Instagram @ShawnModel, on Facebook @TheModelHealthShow, on Twitter @ShawnModel, on YouTube @TheShawnModel, and through his website https://themodelhealthshow.com/. Get his book, Eat Smarter: Use the Power of Food to Reboot Your Metabolism, Upgrade Your Brain, and Transform Your Life here.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Enhancement of Learning and Memory by Elevating Brain Magnesium
- Effect of Theobromine in Antimicrobial Activity: An in Vitro Study
- Oleocanthal-Rich Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Restores The Blood-Brain Barrier
- OmegaQuant Test
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Sign up for Dhru’s Try This Newsletter – https://dhrupurohit.com/newsletter.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers.
If I had to pick one supplement that has made the biggest difference in my overall health, it would be magnesium. I personally started taking magnesium to help with my sleep, especially when I travel, and it’s been super helpful. But I don’t take just any old magnesium, I take BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. I haven’t found anything else like it on the market. Right now, BiOptimizers is offering my community a few special bundles, just head over to https://magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.