Autoimmune diseases are a huge issue, affecting over 80 million Americans. They include type 1 diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, colitis, Crohn’s disease, and dozens of others, but they all have one thing in common—the body attacks itself. Conventional medicine uses pharmaceutical drugs to treat autoimmune disease but fails to answer one simple question: Why is the body out of balance to begin with, and how do we help it regain the proper balance? Functional Medicine, on the other hand, applies a personalized approach to treating autoimmune disease providing a map to find the root cause underlying autoimmune disease.
On today’s episode of The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Elroy Vojdani, the founder of Regenera Medical, a boutique Functional Medicine practice in Los Angeles, California. Upon graduating medical school from the University of Southern California and completing his residency at USC Keck School of Medicine, Dr. V began his career as an Interventional Radiologist, diagnosing and treating complex, late-stage cancers and other extremely debilitating diseases. While this experience gave him unique insights into hospital-based medicine, his desire to stop disease before it reached the point of becoming a chronic illness remained at the core of his desire to practice medicine. Today, he continues in his father’s footsteps–pioneering to find answers to medical conditions that go undiagnosed and untreated.
Dr. Vojdani has co-authored over 20 articles in the scientific literature and continues an integral role in research related to autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and autoinflammatory conditions. He is also the co-author of a medical textbook entitled Food Associated Autoimmunity.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why there is an explosion of autoimmune diseases (7:41)
- The connection between food and autoimmune diseases (15:06)
- What is leaky gut (18:43)
- Foods that damage the gut lining (23:35)
- Modern wheat vs. native wheat (27:35)
- The three stages of autoimmunity (50:57)
- Immunotyping and why it’s the next step in personalized medicine (55:10)
- How to prevent and treat autoimmune conditions (1:11:06)
- How lectins can be connected to certain autoimmune conditions (1:17:25)
- Foods that can be healing for autoimmune conditions (1:23:51)
- How chronic viral infections can be a gateway for autoimmune conditions (1:33:27)
Also mentioned in this episode
- The Impact of Functional Medicine on Patient-Reported Outcomes in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Cyrex Labs – Lymphocyte MAP Comprehensive Immunotyping of Lymphocytes
- Vojdani University
For more on Dr. Elroy Vojdani you can follow him on Instagram @regeneramedical, on Facebook @regeneramedical, on Twitter @regeneramedical, and through his website www.regeneramedical.com. Get his book, When Food Bites Back at shop.regeneramedical.com/pages/reserve.
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimzers.
If I had to pick one supplement that has made the biggest difference in my overall health, it would be magnesium. I personally started taking magnesium to help with my sleep, especially when I travel, and it’s been super helpful. But I don’t take just any old magnesium, I take BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. I haven’t found anything else like it on the market. Right now, BiOptimizers is offering my community a few special bundles, just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.