In health and medicine, we must always be willing to look deeper. We can’t give up on looking for healing solutions just because we’ve always been told a disease is progressive and incurable.
That’s one of the many reasons I’m so inspired by today’s guest on The Dhru Purohit Podcast. Dr. Terry Wahls received a diagnosis of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis and, instead of accepting a rapid decline in her function and quality of life, dove headfirst into looking for answers with long-lasting results. Dr. Wahls didn’t buy into the limits defined by her diagnosis and has completely changed the future of MS research and treatment options in the process.
Dr. Terry Wahls is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner and a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa where she conducts clinical trials. In 2018, she was awarded the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Linus Pauling Award for her contributions in research, clinical care, and patient advocacy.
Dr. Wahls was confined to a tilt-recline wheelchair for four years. She restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day. She is the author of The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles, and the cookbook The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Dr. Wahls’ story of being diagnosed with MS and how her transformation happened (7:42)
- How conventional medicine looks at health and disease vs. Functional Medicine (16:13)
- How to uncover the root cause of an autoimmune condition (23:01)
- The role toxin exposure plays when it comes to autoimmune conditions (34:30)
- Signs that an autoimmune condition is brewing (39:06)
- The first thing to think about when addressing an autoimmune condition (41:13)
- How eating 9+ cups of vegetables a day had a huge role in turning around Dr. Wahls’ health (51:38)
- The healing benefits of organ meats (59:51)
- Practical ways to increase vegetable consumption (1:09:45)
- What role anti-nutrients might play when it comes to autoimmune conditions (1:12:09)
- What Dr. Wahls’ diet looks like on a daily basis (1:16:27)
- The power of movement when it comes to healing an autoimmune condition (1:23:27)
- Figuring out your why as you begin your healing journey (1:33:10)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Autoimmune Intervention Mastery Course
- Radical Health Upgrade Program
- Conquer Your Autoimmune Condition – Free Five Day Challenge
- Health professional certification (online course for health professionals)
- Defying All Odds Documentary
- Episode #98 – A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions with Dr. Terry Wahls
- US Wellness Meats – Organs and Organ Sausages
- MS Clinical Trials
- Impact of the Swank and Wahls elimination dietary interventions on fatigue and quality of life in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: The WAVES randomized parallel-arm clinical trial
- NMSS Announcement of Trail
For more on Dr. Wahls you can follow her on Instagram @drterrywahls, on Facebook @terrywahls, on Twitter @terrywahls, on YouTube @terrywahls, and through her website terrywahls.com. Get her book The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles, at terrywahls.com/the-wahls-protocol/. Sign-up for her newsletter at terrywahls.com/email/.
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BLUblox and Paleovalley.
As someone who is on the computer a lot, I realized all that screen time was negatively affecting how well I slept. I started learning about blue light and how it disrupts the body’s natural melatonin production, so I decided to try blue-light blocking glasses throughout the day to see if they helped—and they totally did. I love the blue-light blocking glasses made by BLUblox. BLUblox glasses reduced my digital eye strain and dramatically improved my sleep, and I have more energy throughout the day. Right now BLUblox is offering my listeners 20% off, just go to blublox.com/dhru and use code DHRU at checkout.
If you’re on the hunt for better snacks for you and your family, you should definitely check out Paleovalley. Right now they’re offering my listeners 15% off their entire first order. Just go to paleovalley.com/dhru to check out all their clean Paleo products and take advantage of this deal.