Connection is at the root of being human. We all want to feel connected to our tribe, we want to feel seen and heard, and we need to help others feel the same in order to have healthy relationships.
I think most people would agree, this is an important thing to work on. What most people don’t want to hear, is that the work begins with getting to a good place with ourselves, and even becoming our own best friend in order to create deeper connections with others.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Jennifer Kolari, about all this and more.
Jennifer Kolari is a Child and Family Therapist and one of the nation’s leading parenting experts and the founder of Connected Parenting. She is the author of Connected Parenting: How To Raise A Great Kid and You’re Ruining My Life! (But Not Really) Surviving the Teenage Years with Connected Parenting.
Jennifer is a frequent guest on Canada AM, CBC, Breakfast Television, CTV News Channel, and Global’s The Morning Show. Her advice can be found in many Canadian and US magazines, such as Today’s Parent, Redbook, Parent Magazine and Canadian Family. She is also on the health advisory board for Chatelaine Magazine. Her entertaining workshops and insightful strategies, shared with warmth and humor, make her a highly sought-after speaker with schools, corporations, and agencies throughout North America.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why so many people have a hard time truly connecting with the people in their life (7:25)
- Where the feeling and need to prove ourselves comes from (9:45)
- What we lose when we cannot connect with people (15:24)
- People-pleasing and having a difficult time saying “no” (24:02)
- Understanding the difference between being kind and nice (28:08)
- Overfunctioning for your child (32:25)
- Storytelling and playing the victim (41:38)
- The importance of having empathy and compassion for others (45:09)
- The CALM technique for connecting with others (52:13)
- Navigating couple dynamics when there is a breakdown in communication (1:07:20)
- How to use the CALM technique on yourself (1:34:59)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Connected Parenting: How to Raise a Great Kid by Jennifer Kolari
- You’re Ruining My Life!: Surviving The Teenage Years with Connected Parenting by Jennifer Kolari
- Connected Parenting Podcast
- Connected Parenting MasterClass
- Connected Parenting RolePlaying Playground
- Individual Therapy for Children and Teens
- Parent Coaching – Family Therapy
- The Mental Health Comedy Podcast
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth and BiOptimizers.
I recently started using bamboo sheets from Cozy Earth, and they’re a game changer. For one, these sheets help regulate temperature. One of the biggest tips all of the top sleep experts will give you is to make sure your sleep environment is cool. Studies actually show that sleeping in cooler temperatures leads to deeper and more restorative sleep. They are also the most comfortable sheets I’ve ever used. Right now, Cozy Earth is offering my audience 40% off. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use the discount code DHRUPODCAST.
If I had to pick one supplement that has made the biggest difference in my overall health, it would be magnesium. I personally started taking magnesium to help with my sleep, especially when I travel, and it’s been super helpful. But I don’t take just any old magnesium, I take BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. I haven’t found anything else like it on the market. Right now, BiOptimizers is offering my community a few special bundles and for a limited time BiOptimizers is also giving away free bottles of their bestselling products P3OM and Masszymes with select purchases, just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.