Sometimes the most powerful thing we can do is nothing at all. That’s how I like to look at intermittent fasting.
Embracing planned periods without eating has numerous well-researched benefits for our health and longevity. And it’s not just about weight (though that is one benefit); it’s also about cellular clean-up, which reduces the risk of chronic disease and increases our healthspan in the process.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Dr. Jason Fung about using intermittent fasting as a tool for optimal health and why dietary advice based on the energy-balance model has only made the obesity epidemic worse.
Dr. Jason Fung is a physician, author, and researcher. His groundbreaking science-based books about diabetes and obesity, The Diabetes Code, The Obesity Code, and The Complete Guide to Fasting have sold over one million copies and challenged the conventional wisdom that diabetics should be treated with insulin. Dr. Fung is also the co-founder of The Fasting Method, a program to help people lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes naturally with fasting. His work on fasting has been cited by CNN, Time, The Atlantic, Forbes, The Toronto Star, and many other media outlets. His latest book is The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery.
In this episode, we dive into:
- What role fasting plays when it comes to optimal health and longevity (6:34)
- Why autophagy is so important for health and longevity (7:46)
- The most important thing for turning on and off autophagy (11:28)
- Why we age and common things that contribute to it (14:52)
- How calorie restriction increases longevity (24:34)
- Calorie restriction vs. fasting (28:11)
- The calorie debate (32:07)
- Understanding calorie deficit, weight loss, and the energy-balance model (40:12)
- The problem with the “calories in, calories out” model of weight management (48:04)
- How Dr. Fung incorporates fasting into his life (53:50)
- Three key things to focus on for successful behavior change (57:10)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Fasting Method Programs
- The Carbohydrate-Insulin Model: A Physiological Perspective on the Obesity Pandemic
- The New Science of Why We Get Cancer
- The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery
- The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
- The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
- The Obesity Code Cookbook: Recipes to Help You Manage Insulin, Lose Weight, and Improve Your Health
- The PCOS Plan: Prevent and Reverse Polycystic Ovary Syndrome through Diet and Fasting Paperback
- The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
- Life in the Fasting Lane: How to Make Intermittent Fasting a Lifestyle―and Reap the Benefits of Weight Loss and Better Health
- The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining The Dhru Purohit Podcast Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and InsideTracker.
If I had to pick one supplement that has made the biggest difference in my overall health, it would be magnesium. I personally started taking magnesium to help with my sleep, especially when I travel, and it’s been super helpful. But I don’t take just any old magnesium, I take BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. I haven’t found anything else like it on the market. Right now, BiOptimizers is offering my community a few special bundles and for a limited time BiOptimizers is also giving away free bottles of their bestselling products P3OM and Masszymes with select purchases, just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
InsideTracker looks at everything from metabolic and inflammatory markers to nutrients and hormones. It even tests your cortisol levels to help you better manage stress and you have the option to see how your inner age compares to your chronological age. Traditional lab tests can be hard to read on your own, but InsideTracker makes their results easy to understand and even provides tips on how to use food first for optimal nutrition. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 25% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU.