Most of us go throughout the day without giving the act of breathing a single thought. Considering how impactful the way we breathe is on our physical and mental health though, I think it’s time we change that.
Breathing is such an underrecognized topic in the health space that today we’re resharing an in-depth episode all about it, with author James Nestor.
How well our body takes in oxygen impacts our health on every level. From how well we sleep to our stress response and even our metabolism, breath is an incredible tool for optimizing health. On this episode of The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to James Nestor about the forgotten power of breathing and how we can tap into it to dramatically improve how we feel.
James Nestor is an author and journalist who has written for Scientific American, Outside, The New York Times, and more. His latest book, Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art, was released in May of this year and was an instant New York Times bestseller. Breath explores how the human species has lost the ability to breathe properly–and how to get it back.
James has appeared on dozens of national television shows, including ABC’s Nightline and CBS’s Morning News, and on NPR. He lives and breathes in San Francisco.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How important our breathing process is to human health (2:59)
- The connection between human evolution and the way we breathe (5:56)
- How our breath influences so much of our health (10:43)
- Stanford University breathing experiment (12:40)
- How our modern industrial diet has impacted the way we breathe (16:08)
- How lung capacity is synonymous with longevity (25:54)
- How breathing less increases oxygen and CO2 (31:01)
- How to establish better nasal breathing (47:39)
- Mouth breathing and dehydration (54:45)
- The importance of eliciting a parasympathetic response before you eat (59:39)
- How to breathe in order to reduce inflammation in the body (1:00:56)
- Are we getting enough oxygen when we wear a mask? (1:04:07)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- Mute Snoring Inserts
- SomniFix Strips
- SnoreLab App
- ‘Rapid evolution’ means humans now being born without wisdom teeth
For more on James Nestor, you can follow him on Instagram @MrJamesNestor, on Facebook @MrJamesNestor, on Twitter @MrJamesNestor, and through his website mrjamesnestor.com. Get his book, Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art at mrjamesnestor.com/breath.
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Sign up for Dhru’s Try This Newsletter.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and Cozy Earth.
If I had to pick one supplement that has made the biggest difference in my overall health, it would be magnesium. I personally started taking magnesium to help with my sleep, especially when I travel, and it’s been super helpful. But I don’t take just any old magnesium, I take BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. I haven’t found anything else like it on the market. Right now, BiOptimizers is offering my community a few special bundles and for a limited time BiOptimizers is also giving away free bottles of their bestselling products P3OM and Masszymes with select purchases, just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
If you’re looking for super comfortable and stylish men’s and women’s pajamas, joggers, robes, pullovers and hoodies, basically all the stuff we’re all wearing working from home these days, Cozy Earth has got you covered! So what’s Cozy Earth’s not-so-secret fabric that powers their superior comfort? It’s the miracle plant bamboo! Right now, Cozy Earth is offering my audience 40% off. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use the discount code DHRUPODCAST.