There was a time when we were told all fat was bad, and we should limit it as much as possible to protect and improve our health. Now, not only do we know that’s not true, we know that we need to actually get more of certain fats in order to optimize our health.
That’s where omega-3s come in. They are integral to the structure, function, and fluidity of virtually every cell in the human body, but most of the world is deficient in them. EPA and DHA are the key players, with major organs like our brains, hearts, eyes, and skin all depending on them to do their jobs properly.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru walks us through the importance of omega-3s for our health, inside and out.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why we are so deficient in omega-3 fats (8:47)
- The challenge with plant-based omega-3s (10:12)
- Why a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio is important (12:12)
- How to test omega-3 levels (13:56)
- Who would benefit most from testing their omega-3 index (15:38)
- Signs and symptoms of omega-3 deficiency (24:30)
- Concerns about mercury in seafood (29:26)
- Pregnancy and fish consumption (32:02)
- How to lower your omega-6 intake (34:37)
- Why you should consider supplementing with omega-3s (37:42)
- Omega-3 supplement brand recommendations (40:01)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Try This: Raise Your Omega-3s
- Sign up for Dhru’s Try This Newsletter
- Omegaquant Test
- Dental Dangers of Mercury, Root Canals, and Fluoride with Dr. Rouzita Rashtian
- Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega
- Big Bold Health Dutch Harbor Omega
- Bulletproof Omega Krill Complex
- Performance Lab Omega-3
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Vivobarefoot and Cozy Earth.
Vivobarefoot footwear is designed to be wide, thin, and flexible, so you feel as close to barefoot as possible. They promote your foot’s natural strength and movement and studies show that foot strength increases by 60% in a matter of months just by walking around in them. Right now they’re offering my community 20% off their first order at vivobarefoot.com/DHRU.
If you’re looking for super comfortable and stylish men’s and women’s pajamas, joggers, robes, pullovers and hoodies, basically all the stuff we’re all wearing working from home these days, Cozy Earth has got you covered! So what’s Cozy Earth’s not so secret fabric that powers their superior comfort? It’s the miracle plant bamboo! Right now, Cozy Earth is offering my audience 40% off. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use the discount code DHRUPODCAST.