Feeling like crap has become pervasive. In fact, in 2018, the World Health Organization added “burnout” as a diagnosable medical condition. Today, more than 90 percent of US workers say they feel it’s difficult to wake up and they don’t have the will or a way to try.
On top of that, one in five Americans has clinical anxiety. One in twelve has major depression. Ten percent of all kids are diagnosed with ADHD, a condition that doesn’t magically disappear on someone’s 18th birthday.
This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sat down with Dr. Robin Berzin to talk about why we are all anxious, tired, burned out, and depressed, and what we can do about it.
Dr. Berzin is the Founder and CEO of Parsley Health, America’s leading holistic medical practice designed to help women overcome chronic conditions. She founded Parsley to address the rising tide of chronic disease in America through personalized holistic medicine that puts food, lifestyle, and proactive diagnostic testing on the prescription pad next to medications. Since founding Parsley in 2016, Dr. Berzin has seen 80% of patients improve or resolve their chronic conditions within their first year of care, demonstrating the life-changing value of making modern holistic medicine accessible to everyone, anywhere. Parsley is available online nationwide.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The top three things that are zapping our energy (0:29)
- What is a “state change” and how can someone establish a new normal, or a new set point for how they feel on a daily basis (5:40)
- Dr. Berzin’s first state change, and how it led to a major shift that ultimately changed her life (10:38)
- The most common drivers of anxiety (21:57)
- The core actions that have the biggest effect on our mood (25:54)
- Common beliefs about sleep that are not true (33:37)
- How Dr. Berzin supports her physical, emotional, and mental health (38:57)
- How to reboot our relationship with technology (43:37)
- How to personalize intermittent fasting (51:17)
- Promising research around psychedelics and how they are capable of reversing mood disorders (55:31)
Also mentioned in this episode:
For more on Dr. Robin Berzin, be sure to follow her on Instagram @robinberzinmd, on Facebook @robinberzinmd, on Twitter @robinberzinmd, and through her websites robinberzinmd.com and parsleyhealth.com. Get her book State Change: End Anxiety, Beat Burnout, And Ignite A New Baseline Of Energy And Flow here.
For more on Dhru Purohit, be sure to follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, on Facebook @dhruxpurohit, on Twitter @dhrupurohit, and on YouTube @dhrupurohit. You can also text Dhru at (302) 200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook Community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and InsideTracker.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. You can check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account at RupaHealth.com.
InsideTracker looks at everything from metabolic and inflammatory markers to nutrients and hormones. Traditional lab tests can be hard to read on your own, but InsideTracker makes their results easy to understand and provides tips on how to use food first for optimal nutrition. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 25% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU.