Researchers around the globe over the past decade have revealed that uric acid, previously thought of only in terms of gout, actually plays a central role in metabolic disorders. So, how is uric acid orchestrating this metabolic mayhem?
This week on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sat down with Dr. David Perlmutter to talk about how uric acid plays a major role in fat storage, insulin resistance, and other metabolic and chronic degenerative diseases that are driving illness and death in our country.
Dr. David Perlmutter is a board-certified neurologist and five-time New York Times bestselling author. He serves on the board of directors and is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is the author of Grain Brain, among other works, and his upcoming book, Drop Acid, comes out February 15, 2022.
Dr. Perlmutter received an MD from the University of Miami School of Medicine, where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. He serves as a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and has published extensively in peer-reviewed scientific journals including Archives of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and The Journal of Applied Nutrition.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Surprising foods that drive uric acid levels (7:23)
- How elevated uric acid levels directly lead to increased fat storage (9:16)
- The consequences of elevated uric acid (15:38)
- The main culprits that lead to elevated uric acid levels (17:42)
- How to test uric acid levels and what the optimal range is (29:49)
- The relationship between elevated uric acid and the risk of heart disease and Alzheimer’s (35:38)
- The biggest drivers of fructose in our diet (46:43)
- The connection between foods rich in purines and uric acid (1:09:15)
- Why you should avoid agave at all costs (1:25:34)
- Quercetin and how it helps lower uric acid levels (1:31:11)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Uric acid in metabolic syndrome: From an innocent bystander to a central player
- UASure Uric Acid Meter
- Metabolic Effects of Fructose with Dr. Richard Johnson | Part I
- How Fructose Drives Metabolic Disease with Dr. Richard Johnson | Part II
- The Latest Science on How to Turn Your Body’s Fat Storage Switch Off with Dr. Richard Johnson
For more on Dr. David Perlmutter, follow him on Instagram @davidperlmutter, Facebook @davidperlmuttermd, Twitter @davidperlmutter, YouTube @davidperlmuttermd, and through his website. Get his book Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid—The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar, and Achieving Extraordinary Health.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and InsideTracker.
For a limited time, new subscribers to ButcherBox will receive ground beef FOR LIFE. When you sign up today, ButcherBox will send you 2 lbs of 100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef free in every box for the life of your subscription. To receive this offer, go to ButcherBox.com/dhru.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering our podcast community 25% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.