What if we thought about social media the same way we think about sugar?
With this ancestral perspective, it might be easier to see the benefits we can gain from more time away from something that’s become so ingrained in our daily lives.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Cal Newport about this and so much more.
Cal Newport is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University. His scholarship focuses on the theory of distributed systems, while his general-audience writing explores the intersections of culture and technology. He is the author of seven books, including, most recently, A World Without Email, Digital Minimalism, and Deep Work. These titles include multiple New York Times bestsellers and have been translated into over 40 languages. Cal is also a contributing writer for the New Yorker and the host of the Deep Questions podcast.
If you’ve ever wondered how social media might be affecting you, your productivity, and even your reality, this is the podcast for you.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why you should be as concerned about your iPhone and Instagram usage as you are about grains and sugar (0:07)
- How technology is designed to feed into implicit expectations (7:31)
- Falling off the bandwagon when it comes to technology use (12:58)
- How to become a digital minimalist (15:30)
- How to create healthy boundaries around social media and technology use (28:25)
- Why the advice of “follow your passion” is completely missing the mark when it comes to fulfillment (31:40)
- Cultivating a deep life and creating keystone habits (48:45)
- How to plan your time for optimal productivity (52:56)
- How social media use and gaming impacts kids and their brain development (55:38)
- Minimizing technology that isn’t useful (1:16:31)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- A World Without Email
- Digital Minimalism
- Deep Work
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You
- The Time-Block Planner
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers, InsideTracker, and Eight Sleep.
Magnesium Breakthrough from BiOptimizers really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. It contains seven different forms of magnesium, all of which have different functions in the body. There isn’t anything else like it on the market. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off—just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code DHRU10.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 25% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.
Eight Sleep’s Pod Pro Mattress is so smart that it adjusts your temperature and can even give you individualized recommendations on how to sleep better the next night. To get yours, go to eightsleep.com/dhru to check out the Pod Pro Mattress or mattress cover and save $150 at checkout.