Seventy-four percent of products in the grocery store are spiked with some kind of sugar. The food industry has done this on purpose to keep you coming back for more.
Here’s the thing: The liver can innately process a small amount of sugar packaged in a real food, like a piece of whole fruit. But when it comes to large amounts in our food supply—and regularly eating lots of concentrated fructose in particular—we are poisoning our liver and mitochondria, and severely disrupting our microbiome.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Dr. Robert Lustig about the real dangers of eating too much sugar and how to take better care of our metabolic health.
Dr. Lustig is a neuroendocrinologist with expertise in metabolism, obesity, and nutrition. He’s the Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology and a member of the Institute for Health Policy Studies at UCSF. He is also one of the leaders of the current “anti-sugar” movement that is changing the food industry, in part through his game-changing books. His latest work is Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Understanding the difference between cells growing and burning, and what this has to do with disease (7:51)
- The eight chronic metabolic diseases (16:04)
- The eight subcellular pathologies that underlie metabolic diseases (19:24)
- How to fix the eight subcellular pathologies (22:47)
- The calorie myth (31:10)
- The biggest sources of fructose in our diet (45:40)
- The four substrates in our food supply that damage mitochondria (53:11)
- How fructose can cause leaky gut (58:24)
- Alcohol, sugar addiction, and how to safely enjoy dessert (1:19:24)
- What you can do to create change in our food system (1:33:49)
Also mentioned in this episode:
For more on Dr. Robert Lustig, follow him on Facebook @drrobertlustig, Twitter @robertlustigmd, YouTube @robertlustig, and through his website robertlustig.com. Get his book, Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and InsideTracker.
Magnesium Breakthrough from BiOptimizers really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. It contains seven different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. There isn’t anything else like it on the market. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off. Just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru and use code DHRU10.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 25% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.