We’re living in an extremely divisive time, where many people want to put a clear label on other people and topics. This makes it easier to file them under something we either agree or disagree with and takes the effort of thoughtfulness out of the process.
But this approach isn’t serving us well. It limits us from discovering common ground and changing our minds. It only leads to more close-mindedness and more division.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Africa Brooke about breaking free from tribalism and learning how to exist, and even celebrate, being in the gray area.
Africa Brooke is a globally recognized consultant, coach, speaker, and writer who specializes in helping people move through self-censorship and other forms of self-sabotage. Her work takes a close look at the complexity, mess, and glory that is the human experience, and she makes a strong case for why we need to accept discomfort as an essential part of the growth process.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Celebrating and living in the gray (9:17)
- Why we can’t project our opinions and viewpoints of the world on other people (13:52)
- Understanding how people arrive at their thinking (22:57)
- Africa’s sobriety journey (32:54)
- Examples of how self-censorship shows up in our lives (1:08:52)
- Cancel culture and collective sabotage (1:15:07)
- How outrage can be a very useful tool (1:21:08)
- The power of discernment and why it’s a valuable tool we can all benefit from (1:32:21)
- How polarization is dividing us (1:34:26)
- Acceptance and holding multiple truths (1:40:42)
Also mentioned in this episode:
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth and InsideTracker.
Cozy Earth are the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.