Mainstream medicine often fails us when it comes to hormonal imbalances. Hormones aren’t commonly tested, even when there is a high likelihood of an issue (like cortisol in our overly stressed culture). Since there are so many hormones that can become dysregulated, presenting with a wide variety of symptoms, many of the symptoms are written off to aging and never addressed.
On today’s episode of The Dhru Purohit Podcast, we are re-sharing Dhru’s interview with Dr. Sara Gottfried. Dhru and Dr. Gottfried take a deep dive into the topic of hormonal imbalances, along with what you can do to get them back on track.
Dr. Sara Gottfried is a board-certified physician who graduated from Harvard and MIT. She practices evidence-based integrative, precision, and Functional Medicine. She is a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Integrative Medicine and Nutritional Sciences at Thomas Jefferson University, and Director of Precision Medicine at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health. Her three New York Times bestselling books are The Hormone Cure, The Hormone Reset Diet, and Younger. Her latest book is Women, Food, and Hormones.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Common hormone imbalances that have become normalized in society (7:30)
- Signs and symptoms of hormone imbalances (11:06)
- Dr. Gottfried’s personal journey of learning how to balance her hormones (19:56)
- The top three things to prioritize when addressing hormone imbalances (34:31)
- Understanding the unique biology of women when it comes to balancing hormones (46:08)
- How to uncover the root cause of hormone imbalances (52:07)
- How chronic cardio negatively impacts cortisol levels (1:00:58)
- The top three mistakes when it comes to diet and how it impacts our hormones (1:08:02)
- How to improve metabolic flexibility (1:12:07)
- The key pillars of The Gottfried Protocol (1:25:17)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Breathing Zone App
- Perceived Stress Scale Test
- Continuous Glucose Monitors
For more on Dr. Gottfried, follow her on Instagram @saragottfriedmd, Facebook @drgottfried, Twitter @gottfriedsara, YouTube @drgottfried, and through her website saragottfriedmd.com. Get her book Women, Food, and Hormones: A 4-Week Plan to Achieve Hormonal Balance, Lose Weight, and Feel Like Yourself Again here. To learn more about becoming a patient in Dr. Gottfried’s Precision Medicine practice, go to marcusinstitute.jeffersonhealth.org.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, and YouTube @dhrupurohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, InsideTracker, and WHOOP.
For a limited time, new subscribers to ButcherBox will receive free ground beef FOR LIFE. When you sign up today, ButcherBox will send you 2lbs of 100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef free in every box for the life of your subscription. To receive this offer, go to ButcherBox.com/dhru.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.
WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker and health-coaching platform that monitors your physiology 24/7 and provides personalized recommendations based on what your body needs. For me, it’s been a game changer to optimize my sleep and improve my fitness, performance, and overall health. To get yours, go to join.whoop.com and get 15% off your membership with code DHRU15.