We all know that fasting has amazing benefits: reduced inflammation, increased cognitive function, fat loss, decreased risk of metabolic dysfunction, and the list goes on and on.
But is there a correct way to fast? Is fasting for everyone? Should we exercise while we fast? How do we make the most of our fasts and how do we optimize our diets when we aren’t fasting?
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dr. Valter Longo answers all of these questions and more. Dhru and Dr. Longo discuss the key pillars of the Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD), created by Dr. Longo to provide the body with the benefits of fasting without completely starving it. They also dive into the foundation of a longevity diet—how can we increase our lifespan and our healthspan using targeted nutrients and dietary protocols.
Dr. Valter Longo is internationally recognized as a leader in the field of aging studies and related diseases. Known as the “Guru of Longevity,” Dr. Longo is currently Professor of Biogerontology and Biological Sciences and Director of the Institute of Longevity of the School of Gerontology at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, as well as Director of the Oncology and Longevity Program at IFOM in Milan. He is also the Scientific Director of the Create Cures Foundation and the Valter Longo Foundation.
Valter is the author of The Longevity Diet, a culmination of his 25 years of research on aging, nutrition, and disease across the globe. It provides an easy-to-understand, accessible, and implementable road map to living well longer through improved nutrition.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why you shouldn’t skip breakfast (2:23)
- What happens if you fast incorrectly (13:59)
- The key pillars of the Fasting Mimicking Diet (21:43)
- Exercise and fasting (24:10)
- The impact of the Fasting Mimicking Diet on chronic disease (31:05)
- How the Fasting Mimicking Diet impacts the brain (35:18)
- The foundation of the longevity diet (38:52)
- Optimal protein consumption and longevity (51:02)
- Why walking one hour a day is so central to longevity (1:04:14)
- Stem-cell therapy and longevity (1:09:03)
- Longevity supplement recommendations (1:15:57)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Remembering the World’s Oldest Person, in the Objects She Left Behind
- Create Cures Foundation
- Fast Bar Intermittent Fasting Bar
- The ProLon Fasting Mimicking Diet
For more on Dr. Valter Longo, follow him on Instagram @prof_valterlongo, Facebook @provalterlongo, and through his website, valterlongo.com. Get his book, The Longevity Diet, here.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, YouTube @dhrupurohit, and TikTok @dhru.purohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and InsideTracker.
Right now, ButcherBox is offering new members a great deal. You’ll receive two pounds of FREE salmon in your first box. Sign up at ButcherBox.com/dhru.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.