Uric acid is a central player in metabolic mayhem. Despite its long association with gout and kidney stones, it’s involved in so much more—especially our metabolic disease epidemic.
There are three things that raise our levels of uric acid: purines, alcohol, and fructose. The latter is the biggest challenge, due to its overwhelming presence in our Standard American Diet. That doesn’t mean all fruit is bad or even that all alcohol and purine-rich foods have the same effect. Like all parts of health and nutrition, there are nuances we need to consider to create optimal health.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks about uric acid, the role it plays in turning on, or off, our body’s fat-storage switch, and how getting it under control can significantly reduce our risk of chronic disease.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The link between uric acid and metabolic dysfunction
- Why our metabolic switch is always turned on
- Hidden sources of fructose in our diets
- How uric acid levels can tell us a lot about our cardiometabolic health
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Try This: How To Turn Off Your Fat-Storage Switch
- The Latest Science on How to Turn Your Body’s Fat-Storage Switch Off with Dr. Richard Johnson
- Nature Wants Us to Be Fat: The Surprising Science Behind Why We Gain Weight and How We Can Prevent—and Reverse—It
- Try This: Smoothie Recipes That Won’t Spike Your Blood Sugar
- Dietary fructose consumption among US children and adults: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
- Calculate Your Fructose Intake
- Drop Acid: The Surprising New Science of Uric Acid―The Key to Losing Weight, Controlling Blood Sugar, and Achieving Extraordinary Health
- UASure Uric Acid Meter
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, YouTube @dhrupurohit, and TikTok @dhru.purohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and Vivobarefoot.
Right now, ButcherBox is offering new members a great deal. You’ll receive two pounds of FREE salmon in your first box. Sign up at ButcherBox.com/dhru.
Vivobarefoot footwear is designed to be wide, thin, and flexible—as close to barefoot as possible. They promote your foot’s natural strength and movement, allowing you to feel the ground beneath your feet. Vivobarefoot is offering 20% off your first order at vivobarefoot.com/DHRU.