Blood sugar is starting to get more of the attention it deserves in terms of optimizing metabolic health, but there’s one issue that often gets left out of the equation—anxiety.
The way our blood sugar, insulin, and other hormones respond to sugar and starch wreaks havoc on our mental and emotional wellness. Yet most people struggling with anxiety and depression are given medications without any consideration of their diet and lifestyle choices.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Ellen Vora to talk about the hidden root causes of anxiety.
Dr. Vora is a board-certified psychiatrist, acupuncturist, yoga teacher, and author of The Anatomy of Anxiety. She takes a Functional Medicine approach to mental health—considering the whole person and addressing imbalance at the root. Dr. Vora received her BA from Yale University and her MD from Columbia University.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The hidden root causes of anxiety (2:11)
- The connection between blood sugar dysregulation and anxiety (4:15)
- Women, intermittent fasting, and anxiety (15:39)
- Caffeine consumption and anxiety (25:07)
- Social isolation and the importance of creating community (30:02)
- Understanding psychiatric medication in treating anxiety (41:52)
- Using breath work to treat anxiety (1:05:09)
- Tools to help mitigate anxiety (1:13:48)
- False anxiety vs. true anxiety (1:23:45)
- The role psychedelics play in treating anxiety (1:28:22)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
- Amma (Extended Mix) by James Asher
- Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
- The Body Keeps Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
For more on Dr. Ellen Vora, follow her on Instagram @ellenvoramd, Facebook @ellenvoramd, TikTok @ellenvoramd, YouTube @ellenvoramd, and through her website, ellenvora.com. Get her book, The Anatomy of Anxiety: Understanding and Overcoming the Body’s Fear Response, here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market and InsideTracker.
Thrive Market is an online membership-based grocery store that makes eating well convenient and more affordable. Join today at thrivemarket.com/dhru to receive an extra $80 of free groceries off with your first order.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.