A lot of people have fear around meditation. They don’t want to sit alone with their thoughts, and many times people give up because they feel like they can’t turn off their minds.
But meditation isn’t actually about what happens while you sit with your eyes closed, and it’s not about turning off your mind. It’s about mind-full-ness—the noticing of the ebb and flow of your thoughts—and the benefits you get throughout the rest of your day.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with our friend Light Watkins to talk about overcoming fear around meditation, creating space from our critical thought patterns, and getting intentional about our values, time, and relationships.
Light has been operating in the meditation space since 1998, first as a practitioner, then as an apprentice to his Vedic Meditation teacher, and finally as a teacher himself. Prior to the pandemic, he was traveling the world from a single backpack and giving talks on happiness, mindfulness, inspiration, and meditation, as well as leading popular meditation trainings and retreats.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Breaking through hypercritical self-talk (1:11)
- Why our mind is so active at night (12:32)
- Light’s minimalist approach to social media (20:06)
- Why self-discipline is about honesty (35:17)
- How to tap into your inner guidance (37:18)
- The importance of inner work when it comes to relationships (45:31)
- How to cultivate happiness (1:07:15)
- Light’s approach to meditation (1:11:51)
- Spiritual minimalism (1:25:45)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Inner Gym: A 30-Day Workout for Strengthening Happiness
- Knowing Where to Look: 108 Daily Doses of Inspiration
- The Happiness Insiders
- The Four Horsemen: Criticism, Contempt, Defensiveness, and Stonewalling
For more on Light Watkins, follow him on Instagram @lightwatkins, Twitter @lightwatkins, and through his website, lightwatkins.com. Listen to his podcast, The Light Watkins Show at lightwatkins.com/podcast.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by Cozy Earth and Pendulum.
Cozy Earth are the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.
Pendulum is the first company to figure out how to harness the amazing benefits of Akkermansia in a probiotic capsule. To receive 20% off your first purchase of Pendulum’s Akkermansia probiotic supplement, go to Pendulumlife.com and use code DHRU20.