This Rhubarb-Berry Spoon Cake features some of my favorite seasonal flavors, like strawberries, blueberries, and rhubarb which are all great sources of polyphenols for longevity and gut support. It’s grain-free and pretty high in protein thanks to a good amount of eggs along with goat yogurt and almond flour.
You can make this recipe in individual ramekins or as one large cake. Either way, add a dollop of coconut cream and you’ve got summer on a spoon.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- ¾ cup monk fruit sweetener, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup fine almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 large pasture-raised eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup plain unsweetened goat or sheep yogurt (or substitute with dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (plus a bit extra for greasing)
- Coconut whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush 8 individual 6-inch oven-safe ramekins with coconut oil. (Alternatively, you can bake one large cake in an 8x8 baking dish. Begin checking the cake for readiness around 40 minutes of baking time. It’s done when golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.)
2. In a small mixing bowl, add the rhubarb, strawberries, 2 tablespoons of monk fruit (reserve the rest for the next step), lemon zest, and arrowroot flour. Stir to combine and set aside.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, baking powder, and the remaining ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of monk fruit.
4. In a third mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. Once smooth, begin adding the dry ingredients in intervals until fully incorporated and no lumps remain. The batter should have the consistency of pancake batter.
5. Gently fold the strawberry-rhubarb mix into the cake batter.
6. Pour the cake batter into the greased ramekins and bake for 35 minutes on a middle rack in the oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
7. Serve with optional blueberries and/or coconut whipped cream.
Nutritional analysis per serving Calories: 229, Total Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 188mg, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 11g, Carbohydrates: 29g, Net Carbs: 7g, Sodium: 407mg, Sugars: 4g, Sugar Alcohols: 18g