Sleep is one of our most basic human needs, and we’re constantly learning more about how it impacts human health. We’re also learning more about ways to improve it.
Light exposure is a big one. From how often and when we experience natural sunlight to the screens and other forms of artificial light we’re exposed to now more than ever, our interaction with light has a dramatic effect on our sleep quality.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to our friend Shawn Stevenson about the intersections of light exposure, temperature regulation, caffeine consumption, nutrition, and sleep.
Shawn Stevenson is the author of the international bestselling book Sleep Smarter and his latest book, Eat Smarter, and the creator of The Model Health Show, one of the top health podcasts in the world!
Shawn is a graduate of the University of Missouri–St. Louis, where he studied business, biology, and nutritional science. He is the founder of Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a company that provides wellness services for individuals and organizations worldwide.
Shawn has been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, The New York Times, Muscle & Fitness, ESPN, and many other major media outlets. He is also an in-demand keynote speaker for numerous organizations, universities, and conferences.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The most common misconceptions people have about sleep quality (2:25)
- Night mode on electronics and blue-light-blocking glasses for negating light exposure (12:00)
- How sleep quality influences sexual function (19:07)
- The importance of blocking out ambient light to enhance sleep quality (20:18)
- How to tackle differences in sleep routines between partners sharing a bed (31:48)
- Things that are messing up our sleep quality (36:35)
- Hacks for improving temperature regulation at night (42:07)
- The importance of light exposure first thing in the morning (50:45)
- How caffeine and alcohol impact sleep quality (1:24:10)
- Supplements that can support deep, restful sleep (1:54:32)
Also mentioned in this episode:
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and Cozy Earth.
Magnesium Breakthrough from BiOptimizers really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. There isn’t anything else like it on the market. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off, so just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
Cozy Earth are the most comfortable, temperature-regulating, and nontoxic sheets on the market. Right now, get 40% off your Cozy Earth sheets. Just head over to cozyearth.com and use code DHRU.