In an ideal world where soils are rich and air and water are pure, we would be able to get the vitamins and nutrients we need to optimally support and sustain a disease-free life through diet alone. However, I’ve learned for most, that’s just not practical in our toxic, modern world.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Chris Kresser to talk about the increasing issue of nutritional deficiencies, how we got here, and how to add back in what the modern world squeezed out.
Chris Kresser M.S., L.Ac., is the cofounder of the California Center for Functional Medicine, the founder of Kresser Institute, the host of the top-ranked health podcast Revolution Health Radio, the creator of ChrisKresser.com, and the New York Times bestselling author of The Paleo Cure and Unconventional Medicine.
He is one of the most respected clinicians and educators in the fields of Functional Medicine and ancestral health and has trained over 2,000 clinicians and health coaches from over 50 countries in his unique approach. Chris was named one of the 100 most influential people in health and fitness by Greatist.com and has appeared as a featured guest on the Dr. Oz Show, Time, The Atlantic, NPR, Fox & Friends, and other national media outlets. He has recently launched Adapt Naturals, a supplement line designed to add back into your diet what the modern world has crowded out and help people perform and feel their best.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The top three reasons why people end up having a nutrient deficiency (2:01)
- The top three nutrient deficiencies (9:04)
- Why the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) is inadequate as a standard for nutrient intake (13:34)
- Signs of nutrient deficiencies (18:49)
- Nutrients that people can get too much of (35:19)
- Optimal vitamin D levels (38:11)
- Nutrients people should people be careful supplementing with (41:53)
- How to get more organ meats into your diet (43:40)
- The importance of vitamin K2 and choline (53:20)
- Understanding calcium and vitamin A deficiencies (56:52)
- Why some people can thrive on a vegan or vegetarian diet and others can’t (1:05:19)
- Why phytonutrients are so important (1:12:40)
- Chris’ new supplement line, Adapt Naturals (1:34:05)
Also mentioned in this episode:
For more on Chris Kresser, follow him on Instagram @chriskresser, Facebook @chriskresslac, Twitter @chriskresser, YouTube @chriskresser, and through his website, chriskresser.com.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, YouTube @dhrupurohit, and TikTok @dhru.purohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and Pendulum.
Magnesium Breakthrough from BiOptimizers really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. It contains 7 different forms of magnesium, which all have different functions in the body. There isn’t anything else like it on the market. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off, just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru, with code DHRU10.
Pendulum is the first company to figure out how to harness the amazing benefits of Akkermansia in a probiotic capsule. To receive 20% off your first purchase of Pendulum’s Akkermansia probiotic supplement, go to Pendulumlife.com and use code DHRU20.