We’ve all heard about the concept of heart rate, especially in terms of working out or how it can become elevated with stress. But did you know that heart rate variability is an important metric for understanding your level of health?
Heart rate variability is actually a window into the dynamic shifts within the nervous system and how different things we do are interpreted in the body.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru and Dr. Jay Wiles take a deep dive into the concept of heart rate variability, also known as HRV, and how we can use it to dial in our health routine on an extremely personalized level.
Dr. Wiles is a scientist, clinician, and expert on all matters related to the human stress response, holistic mental health, heart rate variability, and peak performances. He’s a clinical health and performance psychologist with board certification in heart rate variability biofeedback and peripheral biofeedback, and he works as a leading consultant in psychophysiology to professional athletes, executives, and high performers.
Dr. Wiles is also the cofounder and Chief Scientific Officer of Hanu Health, a company that’s pioneering a new and innovative means of using heart rate variability and respiratory training as diagnostic indicators of the dynamic nature of the human stress response and for providing therapeutic tools for regulating and conditioning this response for peak human performance.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The top hidden sources of stress and anxiety that significantly impact our health (1:56)
- How HRV ties into our stress response (16:07)
- What is biofeedback and how does it work? (18:08)
- What is HRV and why is it important? (20:43)
- How to measure HRV (25:24)
- How anxiety impacts HRV (32:40)
- What happens to our nervous system when we hold our breath (48:57)
- How to use your breath to calm your nervous system (1:03:19)
- Why hot and cold exposure are so pivotal in reprogramming our nervous system (1:28:47)
- How male and female bodies react differently to hormetic stress and what women should keep in mind (1:56:12)
To receive 40% off Hanu Health, go to hanuhealth.com/dhru and use code DHRU.
For more on Dr. Wiles, follow him on Instagram @drjaywiles and @hanuhealth, Facebook @drjaywiles and @hanuhealth, Twitter @drjaywiles and @hanuhealth, YouTube @hanuhealth, and through his websites, drjaywiles.com and hanuhealth.com.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by InsideTracker and Pendulum.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.
Pendulum is the first company to figure out how to harness the amazing benefits of Akkermansia in a probiotic capsule. To receive 20% off your first purchase of Pendulum’s Akkermansia probiotic supplement, go to Pendulumlife.com and use code DHRU20.