Working veggies into a dessert is one of my superpowers. I’m all about getting as many nutrients as I can in every meal, and a sweet treat is no exception.
This Maple Zucchini Crisp is a great way to use up all that summer squash in an interesting way while some cinnamon and a little maple syrup add flavors that will help you embrace the change in seasons.
The simple granola topping of almonds, pecans, walnuts, coconut oil, and a dash of sea salt adds a satisfying crunch with lots of healthy fats, antioxidants, fiber, and minerals. And fun fact, pecans are actually among the nuts with the highest content of flavonoids, including neuro-protective anthocyanins, which we often only think of coming from blue and purple foods.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 5 medium zucchini (6 cups), peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
- 1 lemon zested (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 lemons, juiced (about ⅓ cup juice)
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- ½ cup raw sliced almonds
- 1 cup raw pecans, chopped
- ½ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup canned coconut cream, chilled (solids only)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium saucepan, add the diced zucchini, lemon juice, zest, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring every 5 minutes until the zucchini has softened.
3. While the zucchini is cooking, make the crisp topping. Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. When the zucchini is ready, remove from heat and mix in the almond flour and flaxseed.
5. Transfer the zucchini to a baking dish and bake for 40 minutes until golden and most of the liquids have evaporated.
6. Serve warm in individual bowls, topped with the nut crisp and some coconut cream (if using).
Nutritional analysis per serving (with coconut cream) Calories: 459, Total Fat: 38g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 125mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 15g, Protein: 9g, Net Carbs: 19g