Multiple studies have now confirmed a dramatic link between the health of our microbiome and the strength of our immune system. Low-fiber diets, limited exposure to nature, and overzealous use of pharmaceuticals have messed up our microbiome, making many of us more susceptible to viruses than we naturally should be. But the good news is that, unlike our genes, our microbiome is constantly evolving, offering a pathway back to health for those who are suffering and proven protection for those who want to stay well.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru talks to Dr. Robynne Chutkan about why some people get sicker from viruses than others, the connection between the health of our microbiome and our likelihood of catching viral illnesses, and daily habits to boost your immune system and maximize your gut health.
Dr. Chutkan is one of the most recognizable gastroenterologists working in America today. She has a BS from Yale and an MD from Columbia, is a faculty member at Georgetown University Hospital, and is the founder of the Digestive Center for Wellness. She is an avid runner, yogi, and squash player, and she’s passionate about introducing more dirt, sweat, and vegetables into people’s lives.
In this episode, we dive into:
- Why some people get sicker from viruses than others (3:17)
- Why taking acid-blocking drugs increases your risk of catching viruses (7:48)
- The role viruses play in our body (9:46)
- The protective effects of some viruses (15:26)
- Microbial predictability (23:50)
- The importance of eating a diverse diet to improve gut bacteria (26:46)
- The specific carbohydrate diet study for improving inflammatory bowel disease (31:43)
- The role short-chain fatty acids play when it comes to the strength of our gut microbiome (39:43)
- How to improve bloating symptoms (44:55)
- The role mucus plays when it comes to fighting viruses (50:01)
- How fevers halt viral replication (54:35)
- Understanding long Covid and post-viral syndrome (1:17:08)
Also mentioned in this episode:
For more on Dr. Robynne Chutkan, follow her on Instagram @gutbliss, Facebook @drrobynnechutkan, Twitter @drchutkan, and through her website, robynnechutkan.com. Get her book, The Anti-Viral Gut, here.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, YouTube @dhrupurohit, and TikTok @dhru.purohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and InsideTracker.
Magnesium Breakthrough really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off, so just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.