Intermittent fasting has become all the rage for weight loss and better health. It is a free tool that activates all the systems in your body to protect and heal itself and help you live longer. Fasting can help reduce inflammation, brain fog, and insulin resistance. It can also increase energy and bone density and activate autophagy, which is the process of cleaning out damaged cells. But intermittent fasting affects men and women differently.
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Cynthia Thurlow to discuss the unique challenges women face with intermittent fasting and how to customize an approach to intermittent fasting that recognizes menstrual cycles and life circumstances.
Cynthia Thurlow is a nurse practitioner, CEO and founder of the Everyday Wellness Project, and international speaker, with over 13 million views for her second TEDx talk (“Intermittent Fasting: Transformational Technique”). With over 20 years of experience in health and wellness, Cynthia is a globally recognized expert in intermittent fasting and nutritional health and has been featured on ABC, FOX5, KTLA, CW, Medium, Entrepreneur, and The Megyn Kelly Show.
In this episode, we dive into:
- How eating less contributes to having more energy (9:57)
- Indications that you are not metabolically flexible (12:42)
- Optimal fasting insulin level (18:23)
- How a high fasting insulin level makes it difficult to lose weight (21:16)
- The connection between fasting and optimal metabolic health (25:08)
- The importance of being flexible when it comes to fasting (32:48)
- The benefits of ending your feeding window earlier (43:22)
- How fasting improves gut health (53:02)
- How to know if fasting is causing harm (55:44)
- Adequate protein consumption and why maintaining muscle mass is so important as we age (1:16:46)
- The impact of alcohol consumption on women’s health (1:35:06)
- The benefits of infrared sauna and cryotherapy (1:38:45)
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Intermittent Fasting: Transformational Technique TEDx Talk
- IF45 Program
- Everyday Wellness Podcast
- The Intermittent Fasting Podcast
For more on Cynthia Thurlow, follow her on Instagram @cynthia_thurlow_, on Facebook @chtwellness, on Twitter @_cynthiathurlow, on YouTube @cynthiathurlow, and through her website, cynthiathurlow.com. Get her book, Intermittent Fasting Transformation: The 45-Day Program for Women to Lose Stubborn Weight, Improve Hormonal Health, and Slow Aging, here.
For more on Dhru Purohit, follow him on Instagram @dhrupurohit, Facebook @dhruxpurohit, Twitter @dhrupurohit, YouTube @dhrupurohit, and TikTok @dhru.purohit. Text Dhru at 302-200-5643 or click here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers and WHOOP.
Magnesium Breakthrough really stands out from the other magnesium supplements out there. BiOptimizers is offering my community 10% off, so just head over to magbreakthrough.com/dhru with code DHRU10.
WHOOP is a personalized digital fitness tracker and health coaching platform that monitors your physiology 24/7 and provides personalized recommendations based on what your body needs. To get yours, go to join.whoop.com and get 15% off your membership with code DHRU15.