We are in the midst of a global mental health crisis, and mental illnesses are on the rise. But what causes mental illness? And why are mental health problems so hard to treat?
Today on The Dhru Purohit Podcast, Dhru sits down with Dr. Chris Palmer to discuss a revolutionary new way of understanding and treating mental illness, specifically with a ketogenic diet and mitochondrial repair. Dr. Palmer shares some truly amazing stories about patients struggling with severe psychiatric illnesses who have been able to regain their health and independence along with a greater quality of life.
Dr. Palmer is a psychiatrist and researcher working at the interface of metabolism and mental health. He is the Director of the Department of Postgraduate and Continuing Education at McLean Hospital and an assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
For over 25 years, he has held leadership roles in psychiatric education, conducted research, and worked with people who have treatment-resistant mental illnesses. He has been pioneering the use of the medical ketogenic diet in the treatment of psychiatric disorders through conducting research, treating patients, writing, and speaking around the world on this topic. More broadly, he is interested in the roles of metabolism and metabolic interventions on brain health.
In this episode, we dive into:
- The number-one driver of mental health disorders today (1:48)
- The role metabolism plays when it comes to mental health disorders (2:42)
- The patient who changed the way Dr. Palmer treats mental illness (8:10)
- The long-term outcomes of using medical interventions for depression (18:32)
- Dr. Palmer’s personal history with mental illness and what he noticed after making changes to his diet (23:44)
- The role mitochondria play in mental disorders (53:11)
- The causes of mitochondrial dysfunction (1:01:26)
- Pharmaceutical drugs and mitochondrial dysfunction (1:14:23)
- Understanding the current treatment model of mental health disorders (1:21:30)
- How to address metabolic health to improve mental disorders (1:30:17)
For more on Dr. Chris Palmer, visit his websites, chrispalmermd.com and brainenergy.com. Get his book, Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health—and Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD, and More, here.
Interested in joining Dhru’s Facebook community? Submit your request to join here.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, InsideTracker, and Colima Salt.
ButcherBox has a variety of different boxes, and you can choose your box and frequency. For a limited time, you can sign up and get two pounds of ground beef free for a whole year PLUS $10 off by going to butcherbox.com/dhru.
InsideTracker provides detailed nutrition and lifestyle guidance based on your individual needs. Right now, they’re offering my podcast community 20% off. Just go to insidetracker.com/DHRU to get your discount and try it out for yourself.
Right now, you can get a bag of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Colima Sea Salt for free and just pay for shipping and handling. Head on over to dhrusalt.com and try Colima Sea Salt for free today!