Sometimes a sandwich just hits the spot, and this one could honestly be made for any meal of the day.
I recommend trying to be conscious of your bread choices to avoid processed carbs and get maximum nutrition, so this recipe uses a grain-free seed bread. You could also try some other flourless gluten-free breads or a traditional organic sourdough, which can be more gut-friendly and contain less gluten than other grain-based breads.
The healthy fats from salmon and avocado make this sandwich extra filling, along with the protein from the salmon as well. Broccoli sprouts turn this already nutritious sandwich into a nutritional powerhouse, providing high levels of glucoraphanin, which your body converts into sulforaphane. Sulforaphane is linked to reduced inflammation and cellular protection from things like cancer. Broccoli sprouts are also high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
I hope you enjoy!
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 8 slices gluten-free bread (I used Base Culture Paleo Nut & Seed Bread)
- 10 ounces canned wild-caught salmon, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ¼ cup pepperoncini
- ⅓ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup broccoli sprouts
1. In a food processor, add the salmon, capers, pepperoncini, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and zest.
2. Pulse the salmon until the mixture is “whipped” or well combined.
3. Set the oven to broil (or high) and spread the bread slices out evenly on a baking sheet. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until toasted. Alternatively, you can use a toaster. While the bread is toasting, slice the avocado and tomato. Set aside.
4. To assemble, top a slice of bread with salmon spread, followed by some avocado, then tomato, and sprouts. Finish with another slice of toast and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 689, Total Fat: 57g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 137mg, Sodium: 947mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 13g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 29g, Net Carbs: 13g