This Lemon Poppy Smoothie is a balanced way to start the day, full of muscle-building protein, energizing fats, gut supporting fiber, and refreshing lemon juice and zest.
Poppy seeds offer a lot of benefits in a tiny package. They’re especially rich in the mineral manganese, which is essential for bone health, connective tissue, blood clotting, sex hormones, metabolism, and calcium absorption.
Poppy seeds also contain mono- and polyunsaturated fats, which can benefit your heart and skin, and polyphenols linked to improved cardiovascular and gut health.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 scoop no-sugar-added vanilla protein powder or 2 scoops collagen powder (I like Truvani or Be Well by Kelly protein powders and Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides)
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¼ cup frozen zucchini
- ¼ cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or cashew butter
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- 4-6 ice cubes
1. Add all of the smoothie ingredients into a blender and purée until smooth. To serve, pour the smoothie into a glass and top with extra poppy seeds and lemon zest for garnish.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 286, Total Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 283mg, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 20g, Net Carbs: 12g