A nourishing, tasty recipe doesn’t have to mean hours in the kitchen. This Mexican Collagen Cocoa recipe is the perfect example of using a few simple, functional ingredients for a rewarding end result.
Warm spices like cinnamon and cayenne pepper are linked to metabolic, cardiovascular, and anti-inflammatory benefits. The addition of collagen powder gets some extra protein in your day while supporting your gut, skin, and joint health all at once. You can choose to add a little maple syrup if you like, or go for a spicy unsweetened version that’s just as good.
I hope you enjoy it.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 cup nut milk of choice, vanilla flavored, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder, unsweetened
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
1. In a small saucepan add the milk, cacao, collagen, cinnamon, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer while whisking constantly.
2. Once simmering, add the coconut cream and remove from heat. Then whisk again and add maple syrup for sweetness, if desired.
3. Pour into a mug and serve hot with a pinch of cinnamon or a cinnamon stick.
Nutritional analysis per serving (not including optional maple syrup): Calories: 167, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 234mg, Carbohydrates: 7g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 13g, Net Carbs: 3g