This easy frittata is great for serving a crowd or having a healthy breakfast prepared to use throughout the week.
I love the classic flavor combination of spinach and artichokes, and I kicked it up a notch by adding cherry tomatoes, broccolini, and zucchini for even more flavor and nutrients.
Artichokes contain inulin, a type of fiber that works as a prebiotic to feed your beneficial gut bacteria. They also contain powerful antioxidants like rutin, quercetin, silymarin, and gallic acid.
Spinach, broccolini, and artichokes are all great sources of folate, or vitamin B9, which is an essential nutrient for red and white blood cell formation, producing DNA and RNA, and turning carbohydrates into energy. Folate is necessary for proper fetal brain development, so this meal is especially supportive for expecting mothers.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 10 large eggs (pasture-raised if possible)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch broccolini, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, roughly chopped
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line a 8x12 baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the eggs, sea salt, and almond milk to a high-speed blender. Blend just until combined but avoid over mixing which can result in a foamy frittata.
3. Grease the parchment paper and sides of the pan with oil.
4. Scatter the spinach, tomatoes, broccolini, artichokes, and chives out evenly in the pan. Then pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
5. Top the eggs with the zucchini slices.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the egg is completely set.
7. To serve, cut the frittata into squares and enjoy while warm, or store in the fridge and enjoy throughout the week.
Nutritional analysis (based on 6 servings): Calories: 156, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 308mg, Sodium: 383mg, Carbohydrates: 7g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 12g, Net Carbs: 3g