Soup season is here and you’re going to want to make this one weekly. This Lemony Kale Basil Soup is packed with flavor and phytonutrients and can be made in just 30 minutes.
Kale is a rich source of immune-supporting vitamin C and selenium as well as antioxidants like beta-carotene. This soup also contains bone broth which provides amino acids linked to reduced inflammation and improved digestion.
Basil contains a phytochemical called rosmarinic acid, which has been found to have therapeutic effects for a wide range of issues including diabetes, inflammatory disorders, and neurodegenerative disorders. This soup is as delicious as it is nourishing. Enjoy!
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
We're grateful for our sponsor:
I honestly don’t know what I’d do without my Vitamix blender. From my morning smoothie to nut butters, sauces, desserts, and hearty soups like the one I’m sharing today, it helps me make every recipe the perfect texture in a super short amount of time. Their Ascent® Series A2500 model takes blenders to a whole new level, with three program settings—Smoothies, Hot Soups, and Frozen Desserts—that automatically adjust to the container size you’ve selected, process your recipes, and stop the blender when complete. For this recipe, the Hot Soup function was amazing! It created a smooth, creamy texture for the base of this soup and kept it nice and hot. Vitamix’s Ascent® Series A2500 also comes with a digital timer that takes out any guesswork and wireless connectivity that allows your blender to instantly pair with a range of containers and attachments.
Sign up for Vitamix’s newsletter and get $25 off plus free shipping on orders $100 or more!
*Sorry, this offer is only good in the US and Canada.
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 32 ounces chicken bone broth (or substitute with vegetable broth)
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, roughly chopped
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt (or substitute with dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Fresh ground pepper
- Lemon zest
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh basil leaves
1. Cut leeks lengthwise and slice into ½-inch moons. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the ghee and sliced leeks. Sauté leeks for 5 minutes and stir to avoid burning.
2.After 5 minutes, add the thinly sliced garlic cloves along with the sea salt and stir for 2 more minutes. Then add the chicken broth, cover, and bring to a boil (about 3 minutes).
3. Cook for 5 minutes until leeks are tender. After 5 minutes, uncover and add the kale, then recover and cook for 5 additional minutes.
4. Turn off heat and add the basil leaves along with the hemp seeds and lemon juice and pour into blender.
5. Blend on high, about one minute, until smooth.
6. Serve the soup in bowls along with a dollop of Greek yogurt, garnished with hemp seeds, fresh ground pepper, lemon zest, fresh thyme, and basil.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 127, Total Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 12mg, Sodium: 882mg, Carbohydrates: 9g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 10g, Net Carbs: 7g