Pumpkin is often used in sweet dishes this time of year, which is one of many reasons I covet this 10-Minute Savory Pumpkin Hummus recipe.
It’s complemented with garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and thyme for an elevated take on a classic autumnal favorite.
Pumpkin is loaded with immune-supportive vitamin A, which is essential for healthy mucous membranes—one of our first lines of defense against outside pathogens. Pairing it with tahini not only provides a classic creamy hummus texture but it’s also a great example of nutritional collaboration, as the healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in sesame seeds assist the absorption of vitamin A.
I hope you enjoy it!
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
We're grateful for our sponsor:
A lightbulb can’t work without electrical energy, and our bodies actually function the same way. That’s why we all need electrolytes. When we consume electrolytes, our bodies use them to create electricity that helps us regulate nerve and muscle function, stay hydrated, balance blood pressure, and rebuild tissue. LMNT is my go-to electrolyte mix because it’s a science-backed ratio of sodium, magnesium, and potassium without any added sugar, artificial ingredients, coloring, or fillers. My performance feels noticeably optimized when I drink LMNT, from tennis to hiking and even public speaking events. Check it out for yourself! LMNT has seven flavors to choose from, as well as an Unflavored option if you like to keep it simple.
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- 1 ¼ cup 100% pumpkin pureé, unsweetened
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pepita seeds
- Cumin seeds
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
2. To prepare the hummus, add all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. If the hummus is grainy, add a little more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth.
3. Serve the hummus in a bowl with or without a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of cayenne pepper, pepita seeds, and cumin seeds (if using). Try it as a dip with seed crackers and/or sliced vegetables. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutritional analysis per serving (if serving 10): Calories: 91, Total Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Sodium: 241mg, Sugars: 2g, Net Carbs: 8