Thyroid Disease: Are You Sick, Tired, Overweight?

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 30 MILLION women and 15 million men who have a chronic medical problem that is both under-diagnosed and under-treated? Are you suffering from vague symptoms that you think are normal parts of life, such as fatigue, feeling sluggish in the morning, and having trouble with your memory, concentration, or focus? Do you have dry skin or fluid retention? Is your sex drive not what it used to be? Are your hands and feet cold all the time? Is your hair thinning, your voice a little hoarse, your fingernails a little thick? Is your cholesterol high? Do you have trouble losing weight or have you gained weight recently?

Are you suffering from depression or anxiety?

Do you have really bad PMS or trouble getting pregnant?

Do you have muscle cramps and muscle pain or weakness?

Most of these symptoms aren’t severe enough to send you to the emergency room, but they do significantly affect your quality of life.

And most of us accept them as a normal part of our lives without really questioning them.

If you do go to see your doctor, he or she probably shrugs it off.

Yes, doctors are experts in acute illness. But they often fail miserably when it comes to addressing subtle changes in your body that affect the quality of your life.

According to conventional medicine, low sex drive is not necessarily a disease. Neither is a little dry skin or constipation or being tired most of the day.

But for you, those problems are significant.

So what causes them?

Often, they’re caused by a condition that goes undiagnosed in half of the 45 million people who have it.

It’s called hypothyroidism.

What is Hypothyroidism?

When you have hypothyroidism your overall metabolic gas pedal slows down because the master gland that controls it, your thyroid gland, is not functioning at full speed.

If your thyroid slows down, every other organ and system in your body slows down, including your brain, heart, gut, and muscles.

The thyroid hormone is like a master switch that turns on the genes that keep every cell running.

This is one of those gray areas in medicine, but doctors tend to think in black and white — you have it or you don’t, sort of like being pregnant.

Well, you can’t just be a little bit pregnant, but you can be just a little bit hypothyroid.

And it can have a dramatic effect on the quality of your life.

Yet most doctors don’t view it that way.

This problem is further compounded by the conventional belief that you can diagnose hypothyroidism only through one blood test, called TSH, and that you only qualify for treatment if your blood level is over 5.0.

Unfortunately, this view ignores a whole group of people who have what we call subclinical hypothyroidism. It is called that because doctors have a hard time diagnosing it.

Subclinical hypothyroidism may trigger many low-grade symptoms, such as fatigue, trouble losing weight, mild depression, constipation, and more. Yet it causes just slight changes in your blood tests. In fact, it often only shows up in tests that most doctors never perform.

Low thyroid function may seem subtle, but it can have serious consequences.

How Low Thyroid Function Affects Your Health

Hypothyroidism doesn’t just make you a little tired — it can lead to more serious problems, including heart attacks and diabetes.

I see this all the time in my medical practice: Patients come in with vague complaints that alone may not seem too significant.

But when you put them all together, they tell an important story.

I remember the story of one patient who was 73 years old. This woman came to see me because she had been to her doctor with complaints of fatigue, sluggishness, poor memory, slight depression, dry skin, constipation, and mild fluid retention.

Her doctor’s response?

“Well, what do you expect? You’re 73, and this is what 73 is supposed to feel like.”

But I just don’t believe that is true.

I believe that most of the symptoms of aging that we see are really symptoms of abnormal aging or dysfunction that is related to imbalances in our core body systems.

I have to be a medical detective to find clues where no one else is looking and put together a story about why a person is suffering. This gets them the answers and tools they need to get well.

In this case, we tested my patient for a number of things and found that she had a sluggish thyroid. She did not quite meet all the criteria of conventional medicine for hypothyroidism, but she had an autoimmune reaction that caused her thyroid to function poorly.

By simply replacing her missing thyroid hormone, supporting her nutrition, and implementing some simple lifestyle changes, she went from feeling old to feeling alert, energetic, and youthful — and all of her other symptoms cleared up.

I had another patient who was a 28-year-old woman who was chronically constipated. She thought it was normal to go to the bathroom every three or four days.

She also felt quite tired in the mornings and had trouble getting going. She needed coffee every morning. And at night she had trouble staying up and being with her friends and being an active 28-year-old woman.

She thought that this was just sort of a constitutional problem and that she was stuck living like that. No one had diagnosed her sluggish thyroid.

But as soon as we supported her nutrition and eliminated her food allergens (particularly gluten), which create inflammation and interfere with thyroid function, she felt better.

Her constipation resolved, she was energetic in the morning, did not need her coffee, and was able to stay up until 11:00 or 12:00 at night without any fatigue or limitations.

Who is Affected by Hypothyroidism?

This problem affects men and women of all ages.

And it is very common because of all the stressors in our environment, including toxins such as heavy metals and pesticides, nutritional deficiencies, and chronic stress, all of which interfere with our thyroid function.

It’s critical to understand that your thyroid is not just linked to energy and other symptoms that I described here.

It is the master metabolism hormone that controls the function and activity of almost every organ and cell in your body — so when it is sluggish or slow, everything slows down.

But there is good news …

There are clear ways to diagnose the problem as well as to treat it, with a comprehensive functional medicine approach.

The first step is to find out if you have any of the chronic symptoms of hypothyroidism or any of the diseases associated with hypothyroidism. Ask yourself if you have any of the following symptoms:

• Sluggishness in the morning
  • Poor concentration and memory
  • Low-grade depression
  • Dry skin
  • Hoarse voice
  • Thinning hair
  • Coarse hair
  • Being very sensitive to cold and having cold hands and feet
  • Low body temperature
  • Muscle pain
  • Weakness or cramps
  • Low sex drive
  • Fluid retention
  • High cholesterol

After I have asked my patients about all these symptoms, I do a physical examination for clues to a low-functioning thyroid.

I check for a low body temperature. Anything lower than 97.6 degrees F may be a sign of hypothyroidism.

I might also find fluid retention, a thick tongue, swollen feet, swollen eyelids, an enlarged thyroid gland, excessive earwax, a dry mouth, coarse skin, low blood pressure, or decreased ankle reflexes. I might even find that the outer third of the eyebrows is gone.

These are all physical signs that can be put together along with other symptoms to form a story of what is causing the problem.

Once I have done that, I perform specific blood tests that give me a full picture of thyroid problems.

Then I design a nutritional, lifestyle, and supplement regimen and hormone replacement plan as needed to help people regain their health.

In another blog, I will discuss the major preventable — and mostly hidden — factors that slow your thyroid down. And I’ll tell you more about the special tests I use to diagnose thyroid problems, as well as how to specifically treat low thyroid function.

Now I’d like to hear from you…

Do you suffer from any of the signs and symptoms mentioned here?

Have you been told you have low thyroid function?

How has your doctor responded to your concerns?

Please let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

91 Responses to Thyroid Disease: Are You Sick, Tired, Overweight?

1. Ruth Portillo February 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Please doctor Hyman I need your help, I have hypothyroid and bad stomack, I already wrote you but nobody answer. I need urgently to be under the proper treatment and I don’t know of any doctor in my area, I need to know how can I be treated? I am in great pain and suffereing a lote. thank you so much
    Ruth Portillo

HymanStaff February 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

• fitore March 19, 2014 at 9:22 am #

I live without thyroid after six months surgery .Had thyroid deacise on my 20 but never knew .Years going and sickness growing had a nodule then my thyroid has been removed am takin levothyroxin daily so far not problem

• Jessica B. May 13, 2014 at 1:34 am #

I know this article is a little old but I just came across it. I have been suffering from most of these symptoms for years (I’m 29) but recently they’ve been getting worse. I had my thyroid tested about two years ago and was told that it was normal. My current doctor seems to be focussed on treating each symptom instead of finding an underlying cause. What sort of questions should I ask my doctor? What further tests could be done? I know that most doctors wouldn’t appreciate their patient questioning their opinion and also bringing in an article from the internet. Anyway, I really appreciated your thorough article!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 5, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

Hi Jessica,
        Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

You can also make an appointment to be a patient at Dr.Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Please go to: http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/.

• Danny August 7, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Hi Dr Hyman staff,

Is there a practitioner specialising in things like this (I.e. hypothyroidism) that you can recommend in Sydney, Australia. Have had all my vitals checked and I am a-ok, but feel like the past 3 years have just been a struggle to get out of bed and I have constant muscular aches.

And I’m only 25! Any help will be great thank you.

2. Tolu O. February 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

I have been feeling in a haze for more than a decade now, its hard to get up in the morning and so many other symptoms, but the most disturbing is that even though I Sam really smart, my brain fails me almost 89% of the time. It just never does what it expected and I’ve been searching for a reason, an answer, anything. I think this hypothyroidism is a good shot; your article named about 10things I suffer from. I appreciate you writing this. It is very detailed.

3. Natalie March 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

I am 20 years old and was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I got it from my mother, who has it as well. I went to my doc for a check up to get into school, and sure enough he noticed that the glands in my neck were amazingly swollen. Almost as if I was wearing a ring around my neck, under the skin. I had noticed this ring, for quite a few years as I used to get teased about it being fat. In all reality, it wasn’t. But, I had endured specific symptoms of hypothyroidism for a great deal of time. Included were: dry skin around my nails, as well as the rest of my body. At times i felt tired, sluggish and rather forgetful. I suffer severe fluid retention; eyes being constantly dry, dry mouth, and “down there”. It was bothersome for the most part. Also, I began to have a horse voice and I noticed my hair was thinning a lot more. I’m only 20! This should not be happening. My doc ran a blood panel and everything showed up fine except my cholesterol was a few points above average. (Another symptom). He continued to tell me the bad news.. My thyroid gland was barely working. I am now prescribed a daily dose of thyroxin for my so called disease. I haven’t found the correct dosage yet, so I still suffer from fluid retention and dryness. It sucks, but I’m glad I found it now so that I can make sure it doesn’t get too bad. hope this was informational!

4. Sanjana March 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

Dear Dr.
    I have been having the same problems for a while now. I visited a nearest doctor. He did recommend to have a blood test done for T4, T5 and Tsh. I am awaiting results but would like to know more about, how this is going to effect having a child.

HymanStaff March 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Hello Sanjana,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet, please consult your ob/gyn.

5. Erin March 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I think I have Hashimotos disease. I have all of the symptoms and now I was just diagnosed with Insulin resistance, arthritis and PCOS and I think I am developing vitiligo. I have white patches all over my skin. I have awful constipation that never goes away. My identical twin sister is experiencing this as well.

My older sister has Hashimotos , a goiter, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. Shes 26 and shes had these since 15.

I am 18 and I’ve had these symptoms since 12 years old. Also when I got my lab results back, it said my TSH hormone was normal. The doctor didn’t give me any numbers though.

She told me that there is nothing wrong with my thyroid and put me on birth control and Metformin. I tried. Them one at a time for 6 months then together for 3 months. They both made me feel worse. And now I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD.( the same applies to my twin as well)

How do we get a diagnosis with normal TSH levels? It seems like doctors don’t want to listen after they see the lab results?

Are there any doctors in the New York City area?

Please help us!

HymanStaff March 26, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine website: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117.

• Lourdes T April 2, 2013 at 1:49 am #

Erin,
      Hashimoto’s is autoimmune and doctors think if you have one autoimmune disease you can have another and in your case, you already have vitiligo, which is autoimmune.
      I also have Hashimoto’s and even with my perfect-almost hyperthyroid lab results, I felt hypothyroid and I made my doctor change my medication from T4 only to T4/T3. You can have symptoms even with good lab results. First of all, I would recommend you relax, try yoga or meditation. Also, change doctors immediately. Check your Vitamin D levels and take vitamins, B, D, C, selenium and please check your adrenals. Also, eat healthy, help your stomach process the food, you can have enzymes to help digestion. Stress literally destroyed my body and I am putting it back to pieces. I live in Mexico and I have struggled to find a doctor who will be willing to ask you questions instead of diagnosing for what they see and lab results. But I changed my life style: I learned to relax, I learn to eat healthy (my digestion improved with lactobacillus, enzymes and treating my candida), I took yoga, and lots and lots of vitamins specially D. I go under the sun whenever I can. I hope this helps you but please do something now. Take care.

6. Thomas March 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

I have only just discovered your blog and I would just like to say how helpful I have found it. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2011 and it has not been a very easy time since then. My blood tests are now ‘optimal’ according to the endocrinologist but I still feel rubbish. Your posts have given me a lot to think about and I am very grateful for that. Thanks

7. Angela April 3, 2013 at 8:55 am #

I just turned 26 today and have been experiencing several symptoms noted above for the last 2 or so years. I feel “too young” to be experiencing fatigue and being sluggish every morning. I do have dry skin, trouble staying focused/concentrating during conversations with others, my hair is definitely thinning and my hands/feet are cold ALL of the time. I am now taking medication to help with constipation and muscle cramps/pains, and do experience bad PMS. I have also noticed a change in my body temperature; it is lower than the normal body temperature and was not like that when I was younger and have developed excessive earwax. With all of this being said, I do experience some depression and anxiety; but of course with all of these things constantly occurring, it is hard not to. I did experience a traumatic loss of a parent at the age of 22 while I was finishing my master’s and noticed these symptoms starting to occur maybe a couple years after when I also started working a very stressful job, as well as me losing 50+ lbs. over those couple of years (by choice). I had several tests run last year because I was also experiencing some hip/abdominal/groin pain I thought was due to running along with all of the other symptoms I was having. While I was happy that I had gone to several different doctors and was told by each that “everything looks fine and I’m as healthy as I should be” , I still have these everyday occurrence that I do not feel is right; but I go on with my everyday life and just chalk everything up to stress and being a part of life (even though I don’t always believe it, I feel crazy every time a doctor looks at me and says everything should be okay, so I live with the symptoms and try to deal with them). I don’t hope for “something to be wrong with me”; however, I feel that I am very young and have a whole future ahead of me I hope, and prefer not to live the rest of my life with some of these symptoms if I don’t have to! Any advice would be helpful  Thanks!

8. Katie April 6, 2013 at 1:05 am #

Wow. I found your website trying to figure out why my eyelids are so swollen I can hardly open my eyes. I could actually be a poster child for this and I will make another Doctor appointment next week! My mom and sister have thyroid issues. My doctor knows this and has never indicated that I have signs. Yet, I have been diagnosed with Reynaud’s, Constipation, Psoriasis, mild depression (This was based one my fatigue and the stress I deal with – 2 car accidents in 6 months + a mom with cancer + a spouse who cheated + a spouse with addiction problems + a child with learning issues). My body temperature has consistently been 1 degree lower for the past 10 years and, even though I diet and eat 1200 calories or less/day (including my caffeine habit), I am about 30 lbs overweight and nothing I do works to lose it. My thinning hair, poor concentration and low drive were attributed to stress from all the ‘stuff’ going on in my marriage. However, when you look at the big picture, I think I need to be tested for thyroid issues! Thanks for your clear article.

9. Betsey Thackston April 6, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Hi I have celiac disease. My fingers turn white than black very painful I am tire all the time. I am over weight and I donot eat that much. But I am cold all the time I sleep with two long pants a long shirt and two jackets two socks and one winter h.at and I am still cold

HymanStaff April 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Betsey,

10. Amber April 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Hello! Last July my gyno doctor told me I had Auto immune thyroid disease. She did not put me on any meds but an over the counter pill. When I told her I was still feeling bad despite my levels being better she suggested I see the only Thyroid Specialist in my area. The specialist felt my thyroid said it was in fact enlarged, gave me a ultrasound to confirm. She took lots of blood and got back to me 2 days later saying my levels were perfect!! My question is how??? How can I have every Symptom under the sun that goes with Hypothyroidism (more like Hashimoto’s), how can my thyroid be enlarged, how can I have low levels one day and fine the next (off the over the counter pill for over a month), told its autoimmune and one doctor say yes I have a thyroid problem and the other “Specialist” say I’m great, perfect even? Please tell me what do you think and what should my next step be!?

HymanStaff April 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Thank you, Amber, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine website: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117.

11. Mrs SCM April 10, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Hi Dr Hyman,

Thank you for your very insightful and informative articles regarding Hypothyroidism. I have suspected that I have an under active thyroid for quite some time as I have been displaying a number of the symptoms, namely:
    * Very dry skin (this has worsened significantly over the last 6 months),
    * Weight gain / or difficulty loosing weight (despite exercising extremely hard, and eating a VERY clean gluten free diet. Most of my friend and family think I am crazy the amount I exercise, and the way I am so good with my eating),
    * Tiredness first thing, and also in the afternoons (even if I have slept for 8-10 hours straight),
    * Periods of poor concentration and memory at work,
    * Periods of depression and low motivation (which is very out of character for me),
    * Being very sensitive to cold and having VERY cold hands and feet,
    * Muscle and joint pain (neck and shoulders),
    * Fluid retention,
    * High HDL cholesterol,
    * Excess ear wax.

Unfortunately none of these symptoms seem to worry my GP at all, and despite numerous visits to my GP I have not had this seriously investigated. After reading your article I decided to take things into my own hands and book and pay for a private blood test to test my thyroid function yesterday. Here are the results:

THYROID PROFILE 2
    TOTAL THYROXINE (T4): 56 nmol/L
    THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE: 1.50 mIU/L
    FREE THYROXINE 13.0 pmol/l
    FREE T3 3.2 pmol/L
    Thyroglobulin Antibody <10.0 IU/mL Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 7.3 IU/mL Method used for Anti-TPO: Roche Modular

The doctors comments are as follows:
    "These results appear to be normal, despite the borderline total Thyroxine level. The free Thyroxine is the 'active' component, so it is likely your thyroid function overall is normal – especially as the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and T3 levels are normal, and moreover there is no evidence of thyroid antibodies."

Now I feel very confused, and if I am honest very dejected, as I was almost certain that the cause of my symptoms was Thyroid and thought that I was finally going to get to the bottom of it all and therefore be able to start treating it properly and get respite from the symptoms. But i would very much appreciate your thoughts on my results, and any advice you can give me.

Kind Regards

HymanStaff April 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Thank you, Mrs. SCM, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

If you would like information on becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center, please see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. This site is designed to give prospective patients a comprehensive source of information about The UltraWellness Center. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637-9991.

12. Tracey April 14, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Hi Dr Hyman, My question is, what do I get my Dr to check for if I suspect that I have hyperthyroidism. Nothing showed up on the normal Thyroid test. How do I get things checked like you would check.

Thanks

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff July 12, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To check for hyperthyroidism have your Doc run your TSH, free T3, free T4, TPO antibodies. You might find Dr. Hyman’s The Ultrathyroid Solution helpful. Check it out! For more information on thyroid function testing, see The UltraThyroid Solution at: http://diabesity.ultrawellness.com/thyroid.

13. Bhen April 17, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I am a soon to be 40 year old man. The past year I have not experienced a restful night sleep. I am always tired.
    My body aches, and people say o look tired. I thought this came with chasing after working and chasing after 2 kids.
    I exercise regularly, and I can gain 4Lbs over a weekend if I don’t exercise.
    This winter I could really feel the cold (unlike years in the past)
    I don’t sweat as much as I used to when exercising.
    I still have a strong sex appetite and my hair isn’t falling out.

Last week I got up in the middle of the night wend back to bed and I had a very strange Heart flutter that lasted 30seconds, I was afraid I was having a heart attack.
    Went straight to my doctor and sent me for blood work and ECG.
    I received a call saying he wants to see me about my Thyroid levels.

That appointment is tomorrow. A little worried but, hopefully a diagnosis and plan of treatment can help me feel more activate
    Anyone else with similar issues?

14. bill April 19, 2013 at 1:54 am #

i had blood test 2 days ago and my result was 7.3 2 years ago it was 1.9.what can i do?i feel sick in the stomach,sluggish,and suffer some of the other problems mentioned.my doc not that helpful.

15. Sue April 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

I am 52 and have most of those symptoms, and my doctor just tells me I’m peri menopausal. I exercised and diet yet can’t lose weight, no matter his much sleep I get it seems harder to wake up everyday, I now feel the need to nap in the middle if the day. I am very forgetful to the point of it being a problem.hair bails skin all very dry.

16. Lola April 28, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

I have had extreem exhaustion and very much lack of concentration forgetfillness tiredness inability to focus and get things done and muscle and joint pain – sometimes cannot get up in the morning – i have recently lost my job because of this – i sometimes feel like i am dying- i have delt with this for 9 months now and went to 6 facilities and all of them could not help me – my thyroid is very large – i cannot afford an thyroid doctor but will work on seing one already – i am already on levothyroxin for more than 30 years – so what can i do?

lola

17. Gail May 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

I recently had a tsh level check at 7:30 in the morning and take no meds whatsoever. It was 5.92. I am a female 57. I have absolutely no symptoms as described on any site about thyroid problems. My doctor ask me about my goiter which I do not have and also about my swollen toes that I have never had, This is the second visit I have ever had with her. She also wanted me to get a sonogram of my throat and gave me a prescription of levothyroxin 25mcg which I will not take due to the symptoms she somehow came up with. Should I have my levels rechecked somewhere else?

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Hello Gail,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. We cannot offer medical advice in a responsible manner via the Internet.

18. Bridget May 11, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

I have all except 1 of the symptoms listed above. I have always thought they were signs of declining hormone levels but now realize, I have probably had hypothyroidism most of my life. My body temperature has always been 96.8, a very low blood pressure, dry skin, thin hair, etc. Most doctors will not even test for this. How can I get help?

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

Hi Bridget,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. If you are interested in locating a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine website: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117.

19. Jessie J May 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

I am 27yrs old and I’ve had hypothyroidism for years. I had surgery in 2009 to remove half of my thyroid because of a zyst. Ever sin them i have been the same. Weight gain always tired hot flashes & depression. I asked my endocrinologist and all he says is I need to eat healthy which I have been and exercising (when I’m not to tired) I’m really giving up and feeling like I can be cured. Please help

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Hi Jessie,

20. latoya May 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

I have a normal tsh and a low t4. I am always tired. My hair has came out. I have gained a tremendous amount of weight, dry skin and the list goes on and on. I have no life I have no energy. My Doctor keep telling me that my I am okay. I am miserable and need help.

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Hi Latoya,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet. If you would like to locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine website: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117.

21. Mary May 24, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

I have all the symptoms and was first diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, given radioactive iodine and now have Hypothyroidism. The swollen tongue, puffy eyes and water retention in my feet and mid section are the worst! What is the relief! I’ve been on SOOO many different scripts of thyroid meds and nothing regulates it. I am so tired I can hardly stay away at street lights sometime. HELP!

22. Diana May 26, 2013 at 3:47 am #

Dr. Hyman. I have light infrequent periods, water retention, I am always tired, back pain, and I also havr frequent urination, and protein in my urine. Could that have anything to do with my thyroid? or is that my kidneys?

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Hello Diana,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. We’re sorry, but questions regarding medical conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

23. Roseanna August 6, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Been on synthroid for 20yrs., low normal. I really don’t think it works.

24. kaitlin October 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Hi i have been experiencing alot of symptoms and is very concerned and my doc ordered blood work and said everything came back fine except my vitamin d was alittle low. everytime i tell my doc of a new symptom he says its all in my head. my symptoms are everything that has been listed above and now im losing alot of my hair. i really believe deep down inside of me that there is seriously something wrong and my doc keeps blowing me off. what can i do? please help me with this matter. thank u

25. Alison November 13, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

I am 19 years old. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s two years ago. I believe that stress is the main reason I have Hashi’s. After my grandmother died my senior year of high school, things went downhill from there. I got mono and continued to be sick with head cold and congestion, sinus infections, you name it. I was put on steroids and constant loratadine and cough pills no top of synthroid everyday. I would get better for a little bit and then if I got near anyone with a sniffle it was back to bed for me. So this continued for the rest of my senior year. I ended up gaining some energy back but never got back to my old self. It’s been two years since the diagnosis and I’m not really any different. I have made some changes thought. Once I got into college, I really started retaining (and gaining) weight. I would go on 3-5 mile bike rides every day and lost no weight, gain no muscle mass, notta. Just felt more exhausted. The stress of college piled on and I just became this zombie who kept her feelings inside and didn’t really talk to my parents. Second year of college came around and I had no desire to participate or go to classes. I had a mental breakdown at least twice a week, and I cried a lot along with eating lots of food. At this point I was over my freshman 15 weight gain and new something had to change. I was sick of feeling this way, I knew girls cried a lot but I realized girls don’t cry because they don’t feel like going to class or participating in life. So at this point I was depressed, blurred vision, bloated after everything I ate, constipated, dry skin all the time, acne doesn’t heal, coarse hair, pretty much every side effect of Hashimoto’s, except for my thyroid is apparently fine according to my last blood test (ran last July).

Then I found this Facebook support group for people with Hashimoto’s. It demanded that people with autoimmune diseases should not eat gluten and therefore go on a gluten free diet. So I decided to hop aboard the gluten free train. Aaaaaand it sucked. Really bad. I think my body went into shock because really I kind of stopped eating, or well I ate wayyy less than I used to. I lost 10 pounds within the first month. That brings me to where I am now. Everything was going good for a few weeks and then very recently my stomach just started expanding after anything I put in my mouth. I feel like I’m back to square one. I also did read that going on a paleo diet would be a sure fire way to eliminate any possibility of these terrible side effects. It would give the stomach time to heal, and then later certain foods could be reintroduced. I know I’m far from that point right now. I’m considering going on a diet of water at this point. I don’t understand what is going on. Is my dosage of medicine too much? Too little? I don’t want another pill to fix this, I know it’s my diet and probably my lifestyle (college student in film school with a 21 hours spent in classes per school week and then I work 14 hour days on movie sets on the weekends) I never go out to eat anymore and always pack my own lunch. I’ll admit I don’t eat as much as I should to keep up with the amount of energy I spend, but then again, anything I eat makes me feel terrible.

Help?

26. Carla November 19, 2013 at 9:42 am #

I haven’t been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism but, test results are coming back with low levels…They said it was just low enough for no meds. I don’t have a “ring” around my neck. But, I am usually constipated, Sluggish, cold I gained 20lbs 4 years ago but, with 30 mins of exercise, weight watchers i only could lose 8lbs in 6months. I am also experiencing dry skin (i have horrible rashes on my stretch marks ) and thinning hair and high cholesterol. My mother was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when she was 27. I am now 30 and the more i look at pictures of the two of us at the same age, the more we look alike. PLease help.

Team Hyman December 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Thank you for your interest in Dr Hyman’s work with IBS. Unfortunately Dr Hyman cannot provide personal medical advice in this forum. If you would like to make an appointment at Dr. Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA please go to:http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/ When you are finished reading through the material you may call the office at After you have reviewed this, please contact our office to make an appointment. By phone, (413) 637-9991; by email, office@ultrawellnesscenter.com

For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

27. barbara horton November 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

dr hyman,my daughter is 36 yrs old but is so exhausted and feels bad overall constantly.she has every symtom of thyroid problems. her dr told her the numbers show shes not high nor low but he says he thinks somethings not working right. he called it something we can remember but explained that it has something to do with the brain and her thyroid. shes desperate! shes raising 3 kids and can hardly do what has to be done. What could it be?shes waiting to get a referral but they never get in a hurry here. any suggestions?

Team Hyman December 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

28. Jay December 15, 2013 at 10:58 am #

A short success story:

For over 20’ish years I had been depressed, anxious, nervous, etc. In the last 5 years or so, I had been gaining weight, I lost all the hair on my arms & legs, and was having trouble concentrating. I ended up waking up one morning completely confused…I could barely remember who I was, what I was doing, or even what reality was. It took me about 5 minutes to call 911, and couldn’t even remember my address to get an ambulance there, they had to triangulate my location from my cell phone. When the ambulance got there, I couldn’t even walk, had to be carried down to it.

The ER just passed me off as “a nervous person”, and shipped me off to the state mental health facility. While I was there, I started hallucinating and acting out (none of which I remember). They ended up sending me to a maximum security mental health hospital halfway across the state. Finally, the doctor there did a TSH blood test and found my level to be 97!

To shorten a long story I was put on levothyroxine, After 6 months of it, my strength, happiness, calmness, energy, every single hair I had lost has grown back, and I lost 40 pounds and am easily staying at my current weight – I’m 43 years old, but feel like I’m 18 again!

This is not meant to scare anyone, but to inform people that requesting a TSH blood test is very siimple, and something I believe everyone should be tested for yearly. Hang in there, my friends!

29. Age Management & Optimal Wellness Centers December 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

This is such a great article! Thank you for putting this information out there to let the general public have access to it. I can’t tell you how many patients we see that think having to feel like this is their new “norm” (mainly because of what other physicians have told them in the past). Our protocol fits almost exactly with what you write about. By balancing the hormones (namely thyroid hormones for these patients), supplementing with nutrients, and eliminating food allergies that the patients have, we are able to lessen the severity of all major symptoms, if not cure them completely. I just wish that other doctors would look into this or that there was more information like yours easily obtainable for the public so that these clients wouldn’t have to go so long suffering when the answer to their problem is right here in front of them! I will be checking this blog more often now that I have found it and am excited to hear what you have next. THANKS AGAIN : )

Team Hyman December 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Thanks for the support and we are glad to have you here!

30. Age Management & Optimal Wellness Centers December 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Again, I just can’t get enough of this article! I can’t stress that enough!!!

31. Andrea December 28, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Dr Hyman,

Your article sums up what is basically everything I’ve been going through. Can you recommend the next step of action for someone like myself? What to do when you are dismissed by your doctor? I’m 36 years old, working mom of 3. Exercise every day and have been very thin all my life with no effort. For the past three years weight and depression have been creeping in, fatigue, cold hands feet, dry skin and hair ,sleep issues, high cholestrol,basically everything on your list. I “know” something is going on. I was told that this is part of getting older and being a mother, maybe depression Meds would help me. My TSH I is .549 uIU/ml. Is there another type of doctor or test that might be helpful? Thank you!

Team Hyman December 30, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

32. Jessica Ruiz January 2, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Hi, Dr. Hyman,

My name is Jessica, and I am 27 years old. Over the last two years I have felt extremely fatigued with muscle aches and pains and have also been extremely cold most of the time. I just thought this was the result of getting “older” and from gaining and losing weight over the years. Within the last year I have suffered from a lot of constipation. And most recently I have stopped having a period (it’s been 4 months now.) Although I’m not sure if it’s related, I also had a miscarriage 8 months ago. The reason I am writing is because I’m not sure if I should go to the dr. to be checked for hypothyroidism. My mother has this condition and I think i might have it as well. I hate going to the dr and especially hate to ask to have a test done outright. My dr. is starting to make me feel like a hypochondriac. should I go to my family physician or see a specialist? or are any of these symptoms even reason to cause concern? Thanks for any help!

Jessica R.

33. Bio Identical Hormone Doctor January 7, 2014 at 10:16 am #

Such a beautifully written piece. Just wish that all doctors would start to recognize the importance of such procedures. Thanks for putting this out there for the public. : )

34. Kristin February 6, 2014 at 10:58 am #

I have visited numerous doctors over the past ten years, telling them of my tiredness/fatigue/coldness/hair loss/extreme dry skin and each time they say “oh let’s check your thyroid” and then get the blood work back and say tell me “well, it’s not that” and don’t know what to do. It happened so many times that one time I brought my husband with me to try to convince them that the test wasn’t sensitive enough and to do more tests or do the test again (they were only doing the basic one, surprise!) and he wasn’t successful either at telling them they needed to look again. One time I asked if I could just try a low dose of thyroid medication for a month to see if it helped, and I got looked at like I was crazy. Clearly they don’t understand that feeling as though you are freezing to death in a room that is 72 degrees F is a problem. Recently, figuring I had nothing to lose, I went on an elimination diet. I discovered that gluten and beans (I assume from the lectins) bother me substantially and were causing many of my problems, as well as soy (which I assume is a hormonal thing). After eliminating these from my diet, throwing away all of my BPA-containing plastics, and drastically decreasing my refined sugar intake, I am feeling way better, and it has only been three months! An elimination diet is hard work and requires immense willpower, but it was worth it! Perhaps others may benefit from this approach as well.

35. Michelle Jackson April 9, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

I have been having these symptom for quite some time and my doctors have told me that my number dont meet the criteria to be considered for hypo-thyroid. What can I do or say to my doctors to make them help me instead of blowing it off and saying I am fine? Please advise.

36. tracy April 11, 2014 at 10:17 am #

My daughter is 180yrs had been diagnosed with being completely lactose intolerant but she still sluggish, cramping and constipated as well as very heavy. We have changed her diet but nothing seems to work. Her thyroid test comes back normal but I really think it is the problem. Do you have any suggestions how I can help her?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Hi Tracy,
      Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. Unfortunately he cannot provide you personalized medical advice in this forum. In order to provide your daughter the proper care she needs we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

Wishing you and your daughter the best of health,

37. Nancy Erbach May 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

I am a 57 year old female. I suffer from irritable bowel with constipation, high cholesterol, and fibromyalgia. I was hit by a truck in 1993 and suffered several herniated discs in my neck and lower back and thus the fibromyalgia. Over the last three years I have lost both parents after long illnesses and Hospice and had a major employment change. Last August my husband had emergency quadruple bypass surgery and four days later a severe stroke. Needless to say I’m stressed. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1994. I use bio identical hormone replacement. Between hormone replacement and fibromyalgia, no one thinks my lousy health is unexpected or correctable. I have very few eyelashes on my left eye and have been told my thyroid is low but not low enough to treat. I’m not a hypochondriac. I don’t lay around and complain. I don’t have time. My husband needs me too much. But lately I am losing ground. I’m am tired. I’m also fat, hairy, and explosively hot!! I ride motorcycles and love life. I am an optimist and every bodies cheerleader. However lately I my cheers are fewer. My granddaughter complains because I don’t the energy to climb the stairs and play Barbie anymore. Please give me your thoughts on this.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 7, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Hi Nancy,
      Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. Unfortunately he cannot provide you personalized medical advice in this forum. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

38. Anu May 12, 2014 at 3:14 am #

Hi
    I am 30 and suffering from hypothyroidism.Detected same some six months back.TSH was 10 and started medication.Now even after increasing dosage to 50 mcg and having it for 3 months TSH remains at 8.Any suggestion to reduce TSH? any diet plans for the same.Please help.

39. Karen Seymour May 15, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease when I was 20. I had the radiation iodine pills treatment. Since then I have hypothyroid. My
    Dr has me on brand name drugs because generic did not work for me. But I need something to help me feel not so tired all the time. I never feel like I slept good. I’m always exhausted. Is there a vitamin I can take to help? I’m 40 years old now

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 5, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

Hi Karen,

40. Sonja May 30, 2014 at 12:34 am #

I am working with a nutritionist currently to cure a skin problem and she thinks I may have a thyroid deficiency. My doctor did a blood test and told me that my thyroid was ok and that my tiredness was iron deficiency. Yet iron came out ok in my blood test as well. I have been tired for years now and always had cold hands and feet yet I never had a problem with weight gain. Recently that changed and I cannot lose weight anymore. I have been diagnosed with depression for years and have been in therapy for that. I feel very weak and very tired especially in the mornings. I cannot concentrate very good and my memory is terrible. I am 43. For months I have been feeling incredibly cold. My nutritionist and I were for a year working under the assumption that my symptoms had something to do with a stomach dysfunction as I have suffered from Bulimia in my early 20s. Last week she asked me to take Selenium and my energy levels increased immediately. My weight issue is still a problem though. Do you think I may have a thyroid under function and a supplement may solve this? I would really appreciate your help.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 30, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

Hi Sonja,
      Unfortunately we are unable to provide medical advice in this forum. We recommend that you find a healthcare practitioner in your area. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman who can help you with your condition, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

41. Mary Beth Johnson June 5, 2014 at 11:56 pm #

I had a TT a year and a half ago. I have a horrible doctor who only looks at my TSH and T4 results instead of listening to symptoms and how I feel. I think my T4 is not converting to T3 and was wondering what you thought about Amour, the natural hormone that has T3? I have gained nearly 60 pounds since surgery, and that is WITH low carb/gluten free diet. I’m desperate. Thanks so much!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff July 31, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Hi Mary Beth,

Did you know you can work with Dr. Hyman’s nutritionists virtually? For personalized nutrition coaching where you can receive 1:1 support with Registered Dietitians, please see: http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs.

42. Nancy Jurkiewicz June 18, 2014 at 10:24 am #

I haven’t taken my thyroid meds in almost 2 yrs just don’t want to go to the dr sand they won’t refill until I do. My last test count was 72 and the highest it should be is 4.1 , I write ” 72 ” as in the whole number not 7.2- getting a little nervous hearing I could have serious problems ?

43. Mary-Anne June 28, 2014 at 10:37 am #

Hi, I have been told I have Hyperthyroidism yet I have all of the symptoms that you list above except constipation and hair thinning. I have low temp 35.8, low BP 95/80 (aged 61), terribly fatigued, depressed, excess weight that won’t shift, puffy eye lids, excessive ear wax, no reflex in left ankle, large goitre etc etc
    I don’t know my T levels, on 10mg alternating 15mg carbimazole and feeling worse.
    How can I have all these symptoms of Hypo yet told I am Hyper? Now I am booked in to have half thyroid removed. Nothing is making sense. Can you enlighten me please.

Team Hyman June 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm #

Hi Mary-Anne,

44. Gale July 15, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you for the information, I am tired all of the time, have suddenly gained alot of weight, am constipated, have fluid retention and high cholesterol, my doctor did blood work and said my thyroid is ok, I don’t think so, I have a growth on my thyroid from a previous cat scan and no one seems to address this, I am worried that it might be something bad and my doctor says don’t worry and try to diet, but I do and can’t lose a pound.

45. Brittney July 16, 2014 at 11:26 am #

I have had my thyroid tested twice over the course of the last 2.5 years. Both tests came back in “normal,” range but I have been soul searching during this duration to pinpoint WHY I haven’t been able to lose weight. Why I feel tired in the morning. Libido? What’s that? Reading this post, and especially the comment about eyebrows as a possible clue? I’m currently on a small dose of hormone replacement therapy already. There are elements that make me wonder if I’m suffering from a certain amount of hyperthyroidism. (also note, I’m currently on Day 2 of your 10-day detox diet, is there a way that this detox will help with possible symptoms of hyperthyroidism?)

46. Lucy July 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm #

Doctor, I google “why am I always sick and tired?” and your blog came out. I identify with all the symptoms except the cold extremities. However, for someone that played sports all her life and has been always healthy, I can’t seem to find a work-life balance, lower stress, increase energy and overall wellness. I am 38, divorced (stressful divorce), two kids, 10 and 5. Both my parents and my older brother have had their thyroids partially or fully removed (my mom fully). I’ve been diagnosed with Sjorgen’s Syndrome last year but after a few months on Methotrexate, losing my hair and other side-effects, I decided to keep an eye for signs of stress and dehydration and I’ve been balancing the joint pain. I wouldn’t want to be on a medicine like that again, ever. I usually don’t get sick, but lately it’s been one after the other one, I’ve been getting sudden migraines with nausea that knock me out and I started to keep track of these episodes and they happened to coincide with my PMS. Now, the list of symptoms you mentioned sounds way too close to home. I was tested for issues with my thyroid but was always told that it’s ok.

Anyway, I live in Miami, FL and would like to see a doctor with your expertise that you may recommend. Or what do you recommend for treatment. If this is the solution I’m looking for I will definitely give it a try. Like you well said, we adapt to living like this, but this is not normal…! I’m not used to have to stop riding my bike with my kids after 7 miles because I’m tired! we used to ride over 25 miles on hot days of summer! We used to play tennis, basketball, I used to be fit and it’s been 10 years that I’m trying to lose 50 lbs!! I believe there is more to “stubborn fat” in that…

PLEASE HELP! I want to be all healthy again…

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff July 26, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Lucy,

47. eva July 23, 2014 at 3:08 am #

Hello, i am 27 (female) . i have been diagnosed to have the tendensy for having hypothyroidism ,and the doctor prescribed euthyrox T3 ,one pill each day just to make sure that the gland won’t grow larger..i took it for a year then went back for a check up ,
    but there was no improvement or any diference ,so i asked if i could stop taking it and do soething else that would actualy help. (and i stoped talking the pill then went back after a year still no difference .)
    I have always been really cautious about my diet (eating right ,such as vegetables ,fish,whole grain food such as a little ammound of oats and chickpea flour and fruit as snack bars ) ,if i eat any junk food more often that once or twice a week then i gain weight imediately.
    for example these 2 months i have been excersizing really often and still ,i am loosing weight terribly slow.. 3,5 kgr in 1,5 month in which i am going running 5 klm almost every morning and eating clean(no sugar,no fried food,drinking almost 4 lt of water every day).
    I don’t experience any of the other symptoms of hypo though..
    eva

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff July 26, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

Hi Eva,

48. Jenna July 29, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

I am 23 years old and I have been dealing with so many of these symptoms over the last couple of years (as well as chronic bladder infections and scoliosis most of my life). Both Celiac and hypothyroidism run in my family, but so far I haven’t been diagnosed with either…
    One symptom that I found really surprising from this article is the low body temperature, my average body temperature is around 97.2 degrees. I also have a difficult time concentrating and poor memory – ‘foggy’ brain – as well as mild depression tendencies and frequent headaches.
    I’m also experiencing decreased appetite (even though my weigh is the same or shows I’m gaining).
    I’ve always had pretty dry skin (even growing up in a humid climate), but its gotten much worse over the past year, and so has my water retention and muscle cramps (daily to multiple each day) even with a super healthy diet of proteins, veggies, some whole grains and nuts and next to no sugar or processed foods.
    I also get 8+ hours of sleep each night and still wake up feeling exhausted and I feel fatiqued all day long – so far I’ve just tried to power through it, but its becoming more difficult for me. I take supplements including iodine and selenium in conjunction with B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, etc to make sure I’m getting all the nutrients even my healthy diet may not provide.
    Over the last year I’ve also developed almost constant abdominal pain or discomfort (having scoliosis I’m not stranger to such pain), which nothing alleviates. All of my blood test results are always normal, even though I ask them to check the other levels, they never feel the need to.
    As I research and try to understand thyroid conditions, I find more and more symptoms that that match my own. I need answers – I’m seriously considering going to a hormone and food allergen specialist. I need a doctor like Mark Hyman to take an interest in me, and take me seriously… I’m tired of finding my life exhausting and I want to feel like a 23-year-old should, not like the 75-year-old I currently feel like.
    Thanks for listening and thanks for the informative article! – its time to act

49. Betty Crowley August 2, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

I have almost every symptom listed. I’ve taken all forms of thyroid replacement over the years and fixed my adrenals and hormones but my thyroid continues to fluctuate…good for a short time and then needs adjustment. Had scans etc. Now on 1.5 grains Naturethroid.

Any suggestions?

e

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

Hi Betty,

50. Carmen August 4, 2014 at 7:10 am #

I have been on the generic form of synthroid for some years now. Now I have noticed my throat showing a little soreness, thinning hair, low energy, dryness in eyes and mouth and itching in private places if you know what I mean. I have gone to the Dr. But I still don’t feel any better. You think switching to the original synthroid and not the generic will help me?