Ask Dr. Mark FAQs

ONE OF THE MOST COMMON questions that I am asked in my practice and elsewhere are grouped here, with more being added regularly. Also try browsing through my UltraWellness Library of articles and recipes to find more information on a wider range of topics, sample my Video Archive, or use the search box at the top of the right-hand column of each page.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Ask Dr. Mark FAQs

1. Danny February 29, 2012 at 11:20 am #

I am in the process of reading your book. I do not have a weight problem. My colestrol is 220, my good coletrol is in the good range. I have trouble sleeping and bite my finger nails. I am on a low fat diet, but eat cereal for breakfast and coffee. Am 5’5″ and weigh 145. Will your diet help me.

Thanks Danny

2. Michael Manning February 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Hello Functional Medicine and Ultra Wellness Team,

(I don’t know who else to talk to, who else to call–I’m out of ideas and becoming scared).

My sister is 17, very sick and is getting worse. She has been diagnosed with gastroparesis and suffers from other symptoms which are bad but of less concern. These are from the lack of ability to absorb nutrients and from high stress (mostly resulting from the gastroparesis).

She has been to her primary (more than once), the ER (more than once), GI specialists (more than one), and now the doctor is saying it’s time for surgery; immediately.

My mom is an RN, my sister is an ER nurse, my grandma is a former surgical technician in the Korean war and taught Sociology, Physiology, and Anatomy at the college level and I am at the University of California Davis studying clinical nutrition and biochemistry. With all of the combined health knowledge of conventional doctors and my family–surgery has still come onto us.

The surgeries include Nissen Fundoplication and/or Pyloroplasty–both of which cover-up/address the symptoms but do not address or correct the underlying cause of why or how she got this disease.

We have tried “fat free” diets; fiber free diets; prokinetics; drugs that made her anxious, depressed, and/or emotional; antiemetics–and none of it seems to help and she is only getting worse.

This has gotten so bad that she has been kicked out of choir (she was in the high ranking class) for absences, then was kicked off of the voleyball team (she was varsity captain) and now she is out of school and on independent studies (her senior year).

She cannot eat, either sleeps too much or too little, is stressed, depressed, is losing weight, is malnourished, had to leave school because she couldn’t leave class every hour or so to throw up, and now she has not had a bowel movement in five days.

To say her quality of life has been impaired is an understatement. We can reasonably conclude that this is no longer a matter that is just mildly interesting, not just a subject for intellectual debate, but a matter of life and death.

Again, I do not know who else to go to or what to do anymore. I am being head butted with my ideas of mediation, yoga, juicing, exercising, electro-acupuncture, acupuncture, and herbs by the doctors that we are seeing at my mom’s work (since she’s an RN, that’s where our insurance is; Kaiser). Mostly because I cannot give any recommendations with certainty. I truly just do not understand this aggressive, invasive disease.

PLEASE, if you can refer me any where, to any doctor, website or the like I would be so greatful. PLEASE just tell me where I can go next. If that means paying Dr. Mark Hyman lots of money to make sure my sister doesn’t go into cardiac arrest from a lack of available food she cannot eat–than so be it.

Contact me soon.
    I’m not weird or trying to be dramatic. This is real and I just highly respect the practice of functional medicine. Thank you.

(559) 972-1833
    mcmanning@ucdavis.edu
    michaelchristophermanning@gmail.com

I Wish The Very Best and Look Forward To Your Reply ASAP,
    Michael Manning

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff February 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Hi Michael,

We appreciate your interest and trust in Dr Hyman’s work. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

Or, if you would like to have your sister work with Dr Hyman’s staff in Lenox, MA please go to: http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/ When you are finished reading through the material you may call the office at After you have reviewed this, please contact our office to make an appointment. By phone, (413) 637-9991; by email, office@ultrawellnesscenter.com

For more personalized nutrition advice for your sister, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

Best of luck!

3. Avatar of Jeff Caswell
    Jeff Caswell February 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

i just started reading your book went on website seems like it will cost a lot of money for supplements.The supplements are they essential to go with the diet if you want to follow the diet.

4. Avatar of Linda Clark
    Linda Clark March 16, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Does a 6′ 1″ man eat the same portions…ie: 4 oz. protein and 1/3 cup grains?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Hi Linda,

We all need different portion sizes based on build, activity and health requirements. Typically a healthy 6’1″ man could eat closer to 5 or 6 ounces of protein. Probably still 1/3 cup grains if watching blood sugars. But again, specific nutrition info would be tailored based on knowing more about him. Hi Sandy,

For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

5. Avatar of Jon Erlandson
    Jon Erlandson October 9, 2013 at 12:46 am #

The FAQ’s themselves seem to be fairly limited.. I’m trying to find out how to “Ask Dr. Hyman” a question on “House Call.” I’ve heard a lot about the benefits of fasting but don’t really know the best way to go about it. Should I simply not eat anything for a day or two or should I restrict my food intake?

Thanks,

6. Rosemary Schindler February 18, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Should the 10 day Detox diet be changed any for those of us who have had colon cancer or have no colon at all ?