Is Your Body Burning Up with Hidden Inflammation?

COULD SOMETHING AS SIMPLE as a quick and easy blood test save your life?

Absolutely.

It is called a C-reactive protein test, and it measures the degree of HIDDEN inflammation in your body.

Finding out whether or not you are suffering from hidden inflammation is critical, because almost every modern disease is caused or affected by it.

If your immune system and its ability to quell inflammation in your body are impaired, watch out. You are headed toward illness and premature aging.

Fortunately, addressing the causes of inflammation and learning how to live an anti-inflammatory lifestyle can dramatically improve your health.

Today, I am going to review what the primary causes of inflammation are and give you a simple, 7-step approach that will help you cool the fires raging out of control in your body.

Cooling off Inflammation is Key #3 to UltraWellness and in this blog — the third in this 7-part series on the 7 Keys to UltraWellness — I am going to teach you how to do just that.

The first step is to understand what inflammation is and why it can become so dangerous.

Inflammation: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Everyone who has had a sore throat, rash, hives, or a sprained ankle knows about inflammation. These are normal and appropriate responses of the immune — your body’s defense system — to infection and trauma.

This kind of inflammation is good. We need it to survive — to help us determine friend from foe.

The trouble occurs when that defense system runs out of control, like a rebel army bent on destroying its own country.

Many of us are familiar with an overactive immune response and too much inflammation. It results in common conditions like allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, and asthma. This is bad inflammation, and if it is left unchecked it can become downright ugly.

What few people understand is that hidden inflammation run amok is at the root of all chronic illness we experience — conditions like heart disease, obesity, diabetes, dementia, depression, cancer, and even autism.

A study of a generally “healthy” elderly population found that those with the highest levels of C-reactive protein and interleukin 6 (two markers of systemic inflammation) were 260 percent more likely to die during the next 4 years. The increase in deaths was due to cardiovascular and other causes.

We may feel healthy, but if this inflammation is raging inside of us, then we are in trouble.

The real concern is not our response to immediate injury, infection, or insult. It is the chronic, smoldering inflammation that slowly destroys our organs and our ability to function optimally and leads to rapid aging.

Common treatments such as anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen or aspirin) and steroids like prednisone — though often useful for acute problems — interfere with the body’s own immune response and can lead to serious and deadly side effects.

Take, for example, a man who came to see me recently. He wanted to climb a mountain and asked for my help to get healthy. He was 57 years old and took about 15 medications for six different inflammatory conditions: high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, colitis, reflux, asthma, and an autoimmune disease of his hair follicles called alopecia.

In fact, as many people die from taking anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen every year as die from asthma or leukemia. Stopping these drugs would be equivalent to finding the cure for asthma or leukemia –- that’s a bold statement, but the data is there to back it up.

Meanwhile, the real effects of statin drugs like Lipitor in reducing heart disease may have nothing to do with lowering cholesterol, but with their unintended side effect of reducing inflammation.

But is taking medication the right approach to addressing the problem of inflammation?

No. It is DOWNSTREAM medicine.

Here’s how UPSTREAM medicine thinks about inflammation …

How to Locate the Causes of Hidden Inflammation

So if inflammation and immune imbalances are at the root of most of modern disease, how do we find the causes and get the body back in balance?

First, we need to identify the triggers and causes of inflammation. Then we need to help reset the body’s natural immune balance by providing the right conditions for it to thrive.

As a doctor, my job is to find those inflammatory factors unique to each person and to see how various lifestyle, environmental, or infectious factors spin the immune system out of control, leading to a host of chronic illnesses.

Thankfully, the list of things that cause inflammation is relatively short:

• Poor diet—mostly sugar, refined flours, processed foods, and inflammatory fats such as trans and saturated fats
  • Lack of exercise
  • Stress
  • Hidden or chronic infections with viruses, bacteria, yeasts, or parasites
  • Hidden allergens from food or the environment
  • Toxins such as mercury and pesticides
  • Mold toxins and allergens

By listening carefully to a person’s story and performing a few specific tests , I can discover the causes of inflammation most people.

It’s important to understand that this concept of inflammation is not specific to any one organ or medical specialty. In fact, if you read a medical journal from any field of medicine, you will find endless articles about how inflammation is at the root of problems with the particular organ or area they focus on.

So what’s the problem?

There is almost no communication between specialties. Everyone is treating the downstream effects of inflammation, but addressing the causes of inflammation that are upstream could help people who have multiple problems that are really linked together by this common root cause.

Yet when I asked him how he felt, he said “great”. I told him I was surprised because he was on so many medications.

Yes, he said, but everything was very well controlled with the latest medications prescribed by the top specialists he saw in every field—the lung doctor for his asthma, the gastroenterologist for his colitis and reflux, the cardiologist for his high blood pressure, the endocrinologist for his pre-diabetes, the dermatologist for his hair loss.

But did any of those specialists ask him why he had six different inflammatory diseases and why his immune system was so pissed off? Was it just bad luck that he “got” all these diseases — or was there something connecting all these problems?

He looked puzzled and said “no”.

I then searched for and uncovered the cause of his problems: gluten. He had celiac disease, an autoimmune disease related to eating gluten, the protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, and oats.

Six months later he came back to see me. He had lost 25 pounds, had no more high blood pressure, asthma, reflux, or colitis, and said he had normal bowel movements for the first time in his life. His hair was even growing back. And he was off nearly all his medications.

7 Steps to Living an Anti-inflammatory Life

So once you have figured out the causes of inflammation in your life, gotten rid of them, the next step is to keep living an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. But how do you do that?

Here is what I recommend. It’s a disarmingly simple but extraordinarily effective way to achieve UltraWellness:

1. Whole Foods – Eat a whole foods, high-fiber, plant-based diet, which is inherently anti-inflammatory. That means choosing unprocessed, unrefined, whole, fresh, real foods, not those full of sugar and trans fats and low in powerful anti-inflammatory plant chemicals called phytonutrients.
  2. Healthy Fats – Give yourself an oil change by eating healthy monounsaturated fats in olive oil, nuts and avocados, and getting more omega-3 fats from small fish like sardines, herring, sable, and wild salmon.
  3. Regular Exercise – Mounting evidence tells us that regular exercise reduces inflammation. It also improves immune function, strengthens your cardiovascular systems, corrects and prevents insulin resistance, and is key for improving your mood and erasing the effects of stress. In fact, regular exercise is one among a small handful of lifestyle changes that correlates with improved health in virtually ALL of the scientific literature. So get moving already!
  4. Relax – Learn how to engage your vagus nerve by actively relaxing. This powerful nerve relaxes your whole body and lowers inflammation when you practice yoga or meditation, breathe deeply, or even take a hot bath.
  5. Avoid Allergens – If you have food allergies, find out what you’re allergic to and stop eating those foods—gluten and dairy are two common culprits.
  6. Heal Your Gut – Take probiotics to help your digestion and improve the balance of healthy bacteria in your gut, which reduces inflammation.
  7. Supplement – Take a multivitamin/multimineral supplement, fish oil, and vitamin D, all of which help reduce inflammation.

Taking this comprehensive approach to inflammation and balancing your immune system addresses one of the most important core systems of the body.

In the future, medicine may no longer have specialties like cardiology or neurology or gastroenterology, but new specialists like “inflammologists”.

But by understanding these concepts and core systems that are the basis of healthy living now, you don’t have to wait.

Now I’d like to hear from you …

Have you had your C-reactive protein tested?

Do you think inflammation may be at the core of your health condition?

Why do you think so many doctors practice downstream medicine instead of catching problems early with upstream medicine?

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below — but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Is Your Body Burning Up with Hidden Inflammation?

1. leonard February 9, 2013 at 8:45 am #

downstream medicine is the easy way out. it requires less work and less research. my auto-immune disorder(supposedly MADSAM) has been so frustrating. the bulk of info. I have received is from self research. it is not right that I have to be my own doctor for treatment of this disorder. I am going for more blood tests to rule out certain toxicities and will continue with IVIG…for now. my protein levels were high via a spinal tap test so hoping things are at least on the right path. diet is my next focus but i’ve always eaten healthy. there are so many potential factors that it’s impossible to know what to eat nowadays. some healthy foods may increase inflammation so more frustration navigating through this. i am 40 years old and was in tremendous health prior to the numbness and atrophy of my lower leg/s..

2. Diane March 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

WOW is all I can say. I stumbled on this website by accident while googling a medical question. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have long thought that the medical profession for the most part was sliding downhill by prescribing medications that control and mask symptoms but don’t resolve the problem. I have sensitivities to most medications, as well as topical and cosmedic products. Soaps, detergents and things that are supposed to be good for us, I have a problem with. I think my doctors believe I am making up my reactions. My intuition says it is my body telling me I don’t need all that crap and need to determine the cause of my problems. You hit the nail on the head with inflammation. I have allergies both environmental and food, metabolic syndrome (with the cholesterol problems), type 2 diabetes (insulin resistant), hypothyroid, severe sleep apnea, and cicatricial alopecia from discoid lupus. I’m starting to have muscle issues and olfactory problems, i.e. smelling things like burning cigarettes a lot when there are none. I know the majority of my problems are inflammation related but am not getting much help resolving them. I am with Kaiser and I have asked for a C-Reactive Protein blood test, but they say that they do not do the test because it is unreliable and would not be of any help. It is ironic that they will be stringent with the results of some tests, and yet if some of your tests are off just a little they tend to ingore the result. Yes, like so many medical professionals today they send you to a specialist for each ailment, and you are treated for each problem separately, but nobody looks at the whole picture. So now I am going to try your approach and see if I can put out the fires of inflammation once and for all.

3. Agod March 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Dr.hyman are u in new york ..ive been haveung acute allergies and i cant sleep .this has been going on mt whole life and my face swells up and its very nerve wrecking and destroys my quality of life where i dont even go out .help save my unbalance life
    .and i try my best to eat 80 %plant baaed and it still comes back .pollen season and ragweed is the worst sometines it takes yrs to go away .help me please.come up wit a solution

HymanStaff March 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Thank you for your comment. Dr. Hyman is located in Lenox, MA. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

4. mulch in canton May 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

I create a leave a response each time I like a article on a website or if I have something to contribute
    to the conversation. Usually it’s a result of the passion displayed in the post I browsed. And on this post Is Your Body Burning Up with Hidden Inflammation? | Dr. Mark Hyman. I was actually excited enough to drop a thought :) I do have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Is it simply me or does it give the impression like a few
    of the comments look as if they are written by brain dead
    visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional
    places, I would like to follow you. Could you list all of all your community pages like
    your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

5. Kay May 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Is a C-reative protein test included in the Protein, Total , Serum test and Protein Electro.S?

These were on blood work. I am supposed to see a rheumatlogist in June because of the results.

Results at the end give a Scleroderma/ polymycitis scleroderma overlap and PSS w/crest syndrome variable.

6. rahim kerala August 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

sir
    thank you for your valuable advise….

7. Lisa Koon October 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Thank you for this life saving information. However, i live in SC(near Columbia). I have a pain dr( for back pain), a family practioner for basic medical needs and a rheumatologist in Charleston. The problem is i am taking Plaquenil( 200mg twice a day) and Prednisone(10mg per day) and Neurontin(300mg per day). For pain oxycontin 30 mg twice a day and currently on plan for reducing and stopping it. Been on it for 10 plus yrs. i was told by former rheumo dr i had PMR, and after 3 mths and no improvement she discharged me. Where can i get some help? I am 51 and i am dying and no one seems to care or listen.

Team Hyman December 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Hi Lisa-Visit wwww.functionalmedicine.org to find a practitioner near you. Good luck!

8. Suffering in Florida November 24, 2013 at 11:55 am #

I’m in DESPERATE NEED of HELP! I’ve been SUFFERING for YEARS from diseases which are KNOWN to cause chronic inflammation (Psoriatic Arth.,Fibro,Cervicalgia, Hyperlipidimia, etc).
    HOWEVER, my C-REACTIVE PROTEIN test always came back NORMAL! Even w/the P.A.! My Rhuemt. was only able to diagnose it by conducting other tests & due to my once severe psoriasis.

I KNOW I have chronic inflammation because during “Flares” my hands (fingers) swell up to twice their size, my joints become so swollen & painful that it causes limited (sometimes complete) immobility & I require joint injections/nerve blocks. These things I’ve learned to “live with”.

However, in the last few years (I should mention that I havnt had or been able to find a rheumatologist in the past 6 years for a variety of reasons & have been under the care of my G.P.) I’ve developed a variety of new, very different health problems which have GREATLY affected my quality of life. The worst being sudden “Flares” of extreme muscle fatigue, weakness, pain, spasms (even throat spasms).This is VERY DIFFERENT from my Fibro muscle pain & spasms in that it comes on in the form of an “espisode or severe flare” accompanied by extreme fatigue & sleeping, cognative impairment, numbness & tingling in my hands, arms, legs & feet, severe back spasms, eye pain-even my face hurts!! When these flares come on I’m completely incapacitated for days & sometimes weeks.

I’ve sought help from COUNTLESS doctors & although Ive had a huge variety of many different Abnormal blood tests, EKG’s & more, NONE of the Dr.’s I’ve been to can/care to figure it out. They almost ALWAYS end up referring me to another specialist OR treat me with such disregard that I end up leaving in tears! After one particularly horriying visit, I decided to stop seeking any further help. In fact, this is the 1st time I’ve reached out to new Dr. in over 2 years, despite the fact that my condition has deteriorated so much that I rarely am able to leave my house or participate in life! I have no contact with friends & very little with family. For a 41 yr old female who not so long ago ran a successful business, participated in all my kids school & extracurricular activities, worked out 4-5 times a week, had a very active social life, took regular family vacations & more, this is devastating! I am severely depressed & feel completely hopelessnes.

I came across your article looking for for some answers/help regarding some NEW problems Ive developed-Namely the fact that (mainly when I 1st wake-up) my body feels like its on FIRE from the inside out! It’s extremely painful & feels like I’m 110º inside! It’s usually accompanied by sweating, but not always. It can last anywhere from a few minutes to almost an hour upon waking. My husband can actually feel the heat radiating off my body.Just prior to this, I started having severe itching all over my body (esp. my scalp). This has been going on for several months. A few weeks ago I started getting random rashes all over my body but they are not always the same type if rash. For instance, one in particular covers my entire back & neck- Ive had for over a month it doest really itch but it wont go away, in this time Ive had 2 horribly itchy, stinging, painful burning psoriasis outbreaks. Yesterday I noticed round reddish-brown patch of skin under my arm-its completely smooth but itches!!

I know this is alot to take in, its such a huge accumulation of issues that have gotten so bad I truly have no quality if life left. I dont know what to do at this point. I would be truly greatful for ANY HELP you can offer!

Most Sincerely,
    Suffering in Florida

Team Hyman January 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Thank you for your interest in Dr Hyman’s work. Unfortunately Dr Hyman cannot provide personal medical advice in this forum. For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

9. Eva November 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Hello Dr. Mark Hyman, I hope this will help many people, as this is a problem that is becoming bigger and bigger. I was sick for 3 years, thinking I had Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I had 2 surgeries done, unfortunately for nothing – as the infection continued coming back. After yet again giving google a try I found the answer in the cause of gluten sensitivity. I have not had a doctor diagnose me though. I don’t want to eat gluten and get worse just to have it written on a paper. Therefor I am staying clean and I am believing, that I with a non Doctor Degree I have made the right decision for my body.

Becoming gluten free is the best decision of my life!
    I am less aggressive and I have more energy. For everyday that passes I have more and more energy and for every day that passes I feel less depressed.

I observed that I had a higher intake of omega 3 as a child and teenager, as my mother always gave me extra vitamins, this may have kept my infections down back then, I still don’t know, but I think so! After moving out my food intake was still the same, as I have never been an unhealthy eater, yet the almost weekly pizza was in my MAINSTREAM LIFESTYLE. Result after a 5 year period of VERY LOW omega 3 intake(back then I did not like fish): My body became more tired and my acne got worse and my body started being infected in the groin area.

please observe your reactions to certain foods, it can help you way more than downstream medicine “specialists”.

I don’t know if you have experienced anything like this, or heard stories like mine, but your description describes my life in many ways. yet after not eating gluten a new problem has occurred, my knee has developed a pain. I don’t know if that could have anything to to with this, but as I am a dancer and a gymnast it is very weird that I have this pain. I have not hit myself, nor have I fallen on my knee. The MRI shows nothing. this condition closest to mine I found is this one:

If you have any experience about this, please share. Maybe I do need some kind of certain intake of grain. I do eat some grains, but all are gluten free. Other than that I have a high and normal intake of vitamin D and a regular intake of Omega 3.

//Eva

10. Tammy Duguay November 26, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Hello Dr. I believe all you have said. I had extreme stress throughout my life. With such swollen knees age 7 earaches stiffness in my joints. Age 14 mono age 17 ebstein barr ill for almost 9 months . I had so much aches and pain at 22 I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue then at 35 fibro Then at 40 positive for R A. I’m on tylenol 3 and I really cut back on Ibuprophen it was 1200 mg 3 x a day . I was just rushed to hospital last week now I’m seeing a stroke neurologist my blood pressure was through the roof. I have cut sugar and am doing low glycemic food change. . Blood test results just came back colesterol a little high gout factors were 423 and my inflamation wasat 8 . It was 5 last year. So I am very concerned and I need to lose 110 pnds. I’m 47 I have 4 children 23,18,9,6 I want to see them grow .

11. WENDY WATTS December 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

Dr Hyman … medically I have epilepsy, hypothyroid (hyshimoto’s?), extreme allergies (tested and mainly all grass and all trees along with handful more … had me on 3shots week), and migraines last 3 yrs only worse. I know I have poor diet, need more exercise and live a life full of stress & anxiety. Ive done drs and medicine but only getting worse. Memory is bad, muscles are tight andin general I never feel good ….. please helo me. Im 44, 6 ft tall weigh 220 married andvwe have 2 kids 14 and 11. Reading your books just started … 44 years of bad but trying to start and do different. Inflammation is proly large part of my problem …… wondering if you have a biggest loser reality show planned …. id be good candidate. Just thinking!! Certain what you are saying is true just turning things around ?? Brain fog, low memory … so many symptoms.

Team Hyman December 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. Unfortunately he cannot provide you personalized medical advice in this forum. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.
      You can also make an appointment to be a patient at Dr.Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Please go to: http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/
      Did you know you can work with Dr. Hyman’s nutritionists virtually? For personalized nutrition coaching, please see: http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs
      In Good Health,
      Dr. Hyman’s Wellness Staff

12. Jonathan White December 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

I have a problem too the doctor told me i have a very rare condition where my immune system is over active and it is very hard to treat my chest hurts from being inflammed my eyes are inflammed and my ears and inflammed that i know of I need to see some kind of ologist but i am not sure which one i am still waiting for the call but i have had this been going on for 10 weeks

13. Janet Farrell December 23, 2013 at 10:41 am #

I suffered for many years with inflammation and burning, but was unaware of the extent at first. It started with a reaction to hair dye which burnt my skin and I swelled up to look like a boxer after a fight. It took about 2 months for me to feel better and I thought it was over.
    I had a reaction almost 3 years ago to some chemicals and this time the results were severe. My immune system started attacking me! I burned and peeled all the time. I visited 4 doctors but they could only help me with prednisone, otherwise they did not know what to do. I researched it to be the histamine and immune chemicals that caused these terrible symptoms. My blood pressure was high, I had heart palpitations and I trembled so much that I could not sign my name. I tried all the natural products under the sun AND went through the list that you have suggested above. It continued for 2 years until the steroids were not helping anymore!
    I felt like I needed a switch to turn it off.
    I went for a course of acupuncture and within 5 20 min sessions I was cured. That was my switch!

Team Hyman December 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Great work Janet. Keep it up and thanks for the support!

• bibi July 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

Are you still feeling good?…Did the inflammation go away for good? ..I feel so lost…Im 38…Im losing my hair…I am so sad.. Did the acupucture really worked?

14. Suzanne Putnam December 27, 2013 at 11:57 am #

For the last 10 years or more, my CPR levels have been between 15 and 30. I have been checked for lupus, rhematoid arthritis and heart disease. Those tests have shown no problems. I do have chronic outdoor allergens and also have some osteoarthritis. I have high cholesterol and take medication for depression. Do you have any suggestion as to the next steps I should take to see why my CRP levels are so high? My family doctor is concerned but doesn’t know what else to do.

Team Hyman December 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

In Good Health,
      Dr. Hyman’s Wellness Staff

15. Julie April 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

I’ve had my CRP tested twice and it’s gone from 10 to 17 in three months (this after losing 37 pounds)! I’m petrified of what it means and my doctor doesn’t seem to have an answer. I’m still considered obese, I suffer from SEVERE depression and anxiety, and I tend to drink a bit too much. My cholesterol is elevated but nothing alarming. My blood pressure is ok. I don’t have diabetes. I’m giving myself panic attacks worrying that I am dying of heart disease this very minute. I’m only 31… Reading this article has made me feel less scared. Even though I’ve lost weight, I don’t always eat super fresh foods. I do have allergy issues too since moving to south Texas. Hoping my high levels are something less scary than I thought!

16. Excellent way of describing, and fastidious paragraph
    to take information on the topic of my presentation subject, which i am going to present in school.

17. organic skincare June 23, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Hey! This is mʏ 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out aand say I genuinely enjօy гeading thrugh your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same
    topics? Many thanks!

18. Connie Fox June 26, 2014 at 8:40 am #

I have lupus which puts me in the position of ending up in emergency rooms quite often. A good part of the time, after a multitude of tests, can’t figure out what the problem is. It was only after going through all the tests in my medical records I discovered they NEVER test for inflammation! You would think having the knowledge that I have lupus that would be standard,

19. Janice June 27, 2014 at 4:05 am #

Dear Hyman team, thank u so much for the information. I seem to be breaking down slowly, (physically), emotionally upset because of this. However, I now have hope and can set about knowing myself and my needs. Our individuality makes up the whole of humanity. I believe that my body is crying out for change and one pill fits all is dangerous rubbish. So, slowly, slowly with calm, I am learning to help my precious self and work with nature. Thank u again for more insight into me.

Team Hyman June 28, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

Hi Janice!

We are more than glad to be able to help you! And thank you so much for the support. We wish you well :)

20. oriental herb company July 7, 2014 at 8:35 am #

I’m excited to find this page. I want to to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic read!!
    I definitely liked every little bit of it and i also have you book marked to look at
    new information in your blog.

21. Heather July 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

That is a great tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very precise info… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!