Dr. Hyman Discusses Gluten on the Dr. Oz Show

IS GLUTEN THE DIETARY DEMON many today think it is? If you eat cheeseburgers or French fries all the time or drink six sodas a day, you likely know you are shortening your life. But eating a nice dark, crunchy slice of whole wheat bread–how could that be bad for you? Well, bread contains gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, and oats. It is hidden in pizza, pasta, bread, wraps, rolls, and most processed foods. Clearly, gluten is a staple of the American diet. What most people don’t know is that gluten can cause serious health complications for many. You may be at risk even if you don’t have full blown celiac disease.

In my most recent appearance on the Dr. Oz Show I explained why gluten is a problem for up to 20 million Americans, even though 99 percent of those affected don’t realize it. Interested in learning more about gluten, its effects, why so many are sensitive, and how to determine if you have a problem? Check out my interview with Dr. Oz and then use the resources below for further study.

The Dangers of Gluten

A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and “latent” celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from heart disease and cancer.

This study looked at almost 30,000 patients from 1969 to 2008 and examined deaths in three groups: Those with full-blown celiac disease, those with inflammation of their intestine but not full-blown celiac disease, and those with latent celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (elevated gluten antibodies but negative intestinal biopsy). To get the full story and learn about the results of this study, see my most recent blog on gluten.

How Do I Know if I Have a Problem?

The wonderful thing about gluten sensitivity is that is a completely curable problem. The answer? Just stay off gluten or eat it in limited quantities.

But how do you know if you’re sensitive in the first place? You can go to a functional medicine or integrative health practitioner and get expensive IgG antibody tests done to identify whether or not this protein is a problem for you. For some this kind of testing may be useful. However, for the majority of people interested in identifying gluten sensitivity, there is an easier and less expensive way. It’s called an elimination diet, and it’s simple. All you have to do is eliminate gluten from your diet for two to six weeks. If you lose weight and your symptoms (even vague symptoms like nasal congestion, joint pain, and digestive problems) disappear, it’s likely gluten is a problem for you. To verify this finding, all you have to do is reintroduce gluten into your diet systematically. If your symptoms reappear, you’ve verified that you have a gluten sensitivity.

The Gluten-Elimination Diet

For a complete six-week, gluten-free meal plan simply enter your name and email address below. When you do, you will automatically be subscribed to my weekly newsletter and you will receive a free copy of The UltraMind 6-Week Meal Plan–a gluten-free way of eating designed to optimize your mind and body and help you lose weight and feel great.

First Name
Last Name
Email Address

, , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to Dr. Hyman Discusses Gluten on the Dr. Oz Show

1. Toni Hawkins February 28, 2012 at 6:12 am #

I would like to get the free 6 week gluten free meal plan diet emailed to my address above to test to see if I have a problem with gluten.

• Maxine Henry June 11, 2014 at 6:58 pm #

I do not have celiac but have many health problems including fibromyalgia,osteoarthritis,chronic allergy/sinus,depressioin.

2. Linda Fischer March 4, 2012 at 8:48 am #

I am very interested in getting rid of my tummy fat. I am slim otherwise.

3. Heidi Jeffreys March 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Please send me the gluten-free meal plan

4. Dottie Canterino March 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease, please send me the 6 wk plan….
    I need help starting my new life.
    Thanking you for “all” that you do!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Hi Dottie,

It has recently been posted so please check it out under our articles. Thank you for your interest and best of luck!

In good health!
      Lizzy
      Nutrition Coaching Program

5. Cynthia Sciortino March 12, 2012 at 2:09 am #

I would love a copy of the 6 week gluten free diet plan. I was diagnosed with Celiac 4 years ago and finding new healthy ideas is hard!!

6. Erin Snyder March 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I am very interested in the six week plan

7. Cindy March 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

I would like a copyof the 6 week gluten free meal plan emailed to my email above please.

Thanks

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Hi Cindy,

A copy of the meal plan has beenn forwarded. Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work.

In good health!
      Lizzy
      Nutrition Coaching Program

8. Joanne Schneider March 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Please send me more informaiton on gluten-free lifestyle and free copy of The UltraMind 6-Week Meal Plan–a gluten-free way of eating

9. Gina Nagy March 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I would like to get the meal plan forwarded please. My 5 year has some issues and the doctor believes she is either gluten intolerant or celiac. Thank you.

10. yasir March 15, 2012 at 11:28 am #

please send me the gluten free diet plan as soon as possible

11. Avatar of
    Julee Colucci March 16, 2012 at 3:40 am #

HI, I was able to get the gluten free diet, but it is only showing me up to week 2. Where will I find week 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Thank you !

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 16, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Hi Julee,

Please see this link:http://drhyman.com/downloads/UltraMind6weekEatingPlan.pdf

The idea is to follow it as written for the first 2 weeks, then mix it up for the next two weeks and the final 2 weeks you can take it and be creative as you personalize it. Of course, if playing around with recipes or making them up yourself is too much, simply use those provided!

In good health!
      Lizzy
      Nutrition Coaching Program

I

12. Kayla May 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Dear Dr, Hyman and team,

I am 20 years old and am lactose intolerant, have acid reflux, IBS, chronic kidney disease, eczema and am on medication for ADHD. I knew I needed a change in diet and went gluten free a few months ago, however, I was still a bit lost and in need of guidance. After reading your articles, just two days ago, I went out and bought all the ingredients for the 6 week eating plan.
    Going gluten free and buying healthy organic foods can be quite expensive, but many of your ingredients are things I already have in my house. Your recipes are simple, easy to follow and the ingredients are things that I am already familiar with or can easily be found at my local store. Your information made me realize how I was poisoning my body and has helped me explore foods that I never even knew existed. I now have bok choy in my fridge, something I never heard of until your articles. You have taught me that by making changes in diet many health issues can be controlled or even eliminated.
    Today was my first day and I just ate the Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs. Not only was it delicious but it was satisfying. I recommend this plan to everyone. I am very excited to try the next recipe and am eager to see the positive changes in my body that hopefully this lifestyle change will bring.
    Thank you Dr. Hyman and your team for helping me get on track to restoring my health and vitality. I will never go back to my processed, hydrogenated, toxic ways again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

13. Patti July 31, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Please e-mail me a copy of the 6 week gluten free meal plan. Thank you

14. Julie September 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

Please send me an e-mail of the 6 week gluten free meal plan. I need to lose weight :( the healthy way..
    thanks!

15. Kami South September 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Please send me the 6 week gluten free diet plan. Thank you

16. Julie September 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Can i have a copy of that diet please? Thank u

17. Martha White October 16, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

My daughter is adopted she is not aduilt & married We have to watch out for things with cinnamon in them She starts turning very flushed, mouth area starts to burn, she can’t breath should we be on gaurd for any thing else she is some what over weight mostly a flabby over weight what can we do to help her She is the most special person i ever been around she is a blessing

HymanStaff January 23, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

18. Susan Petersen December 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I don’t know where to start=== I weigh only 98 #. I’m 68 yrs. old= female. My thyroid, just tested, was 13.89, 3 times the
    normal. I’m cold all the time, foggy brain, memory problems, can’t gain weight, have osteoporosis, tired all the time.
    I took thyroid medicine yrs. ago and broke out in a very bad rash…. I do not take any other medicine then or now.
    The research I have done says that the medicine for thyroid has never changed and isn’t even FDA approved. Mainly
    because it is not reliable. Even nurses I know say they are tired then ok for just awhile then back to the same old
    problems. Could Celiac Diease or Gluten be the cause of all my problems???? I have seen many drs. and all tell
    me the same thing. NO ONE can be allergic to Thyroid medicine. The rash was tested by the demotologists by taking a sample of the rash… It came back drug eruption.. Since I was on no other medicine of any
    kind– it had to be the thyroid meds. I sent an e-mail to DR. Oz about this but have not heard anything back.
    That was over a yr. ago. Have sent some more off and on, even sending one to the producer of the show. Just had
    cataract surgery on my eyes, dr. said thyroid can even effect my eyes.
    Can you help me????? I am willing to try anything. I am now taking and have been for a year Raw Natural thyroid
    gland and Raw Adrenal gland from natural source–Swanson Co. It comes from cattle in New Zealand and has no chemicals on the ground, grass, feed or water. All natural, so they are telling me. Please who can help? I do not eat Pork of any kind as it is against my religion, so Armor Brand of thyroid was not an option.. Thank you for listening (reading) about my problems. Sincerely, Mrs. Susan Petersen moonlight91101@gmail.com

HymanStaff January 24, 2013 at 12:36 am #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

19. Sandi Demkovich August 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

I would like to get a copy of the 6 week meal diet plan emailed to me if possible. Thanks!

20. EILEEN GOVE August 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Please send me the 6-week diet plan – I cannot believe how many of the symptoms I have!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Dear Eileen,

We are glad you found the link. Should you want to work with Dr. Hyman’s nutrition coaching, please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.
      In Good Health,
      The Nutrition Team

• kyela williams November 6, 2013 at 9:52 am #

I am on day 2 of my Gluten free journey. For over 8 years I have been feeling “strange.” For over 20 years I have had irritable bowel, acid reflux, sinus problems, progressing to a floating sensation, jerking head movements that make my left hand tingle, extreme joint pain with bulging discs and degenerating cervical spine discs, bloating at night to the point I look pregnant, and now eye problems. My mother read an article about Gluten and with more research I do believe I have Gluten Ataxia. No more MRI’s and epidural injections to my spine. I will continue with my chiropractor and the gluten free diet and put everything else on hold!

21. saffron extract satiereal dr oz December 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Hi! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time now
    and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout
    out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

22. menstruation natural remedies December 17, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Good article. I’m experiencing many of these issues as well..

23. saffron price December 18, 2013 at 6:13 am #

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your
    blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

24. Karen Hayes June 11, 2014 at 9:50 am #

I have look through the 2 week meal plan and have found several times that Cashews are on the menu. I cannot eat cashews because it causes my mouth to break out with cold sores. What can I substitute for the cashews in order to still get the full benefits of this meal plan?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff June 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Hi Karen,
      Feel free to substitute any nut that you can eat: almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, or hazelnuts.
      Wishing you the best of health!

25. Rita June 11, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

I would appreciate a copy of your Gluten Free meal plan. i am sure there are beneficial food choices that I may never heard of, and would therefore be interested to purchase in place of the same old same old picks; adding to my problem. i also have Barrets asophagous; any suggestions for that.

26. Maxine healy June 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

Ive been on a gluten/dairy free diet for over a month. Nothing processed all natural only fresh fruit no other sugar, but i am gaining weight instead of losing help?

27. Lillian Christopher June 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

please send me your gluten meal plan.

• Lillian Christopher June 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

I incorrectiy spelled my e-mail address

28. Lillian Christopher June 11, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

issues with bloating ibs, lots of joint pain, pain after eating and balance problems izziyess,