New Research Finds Diabetes Can Be Reversed

I have recently spent more time in drugs stores than I would like helping my sister on her journey through (and hopefully to the other side of) cancer. Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens all had large diabetes sections offering support for a “diabetes lifestyle”—glucose monitors, lancets, blood pressure cuffs, medications, supplements and pharmacy magazines heavily supported by pharmaceutical advertising. Patients are encouraged to get their eye check ups, monitor their blood pressure, track their blood sugars, have foot exams and see their doctor’s regularly for better management of their blood sugars—all apparently sensible advice for diabetics.

But what if type 2 diabetes could be completely reversed? What if it wasn’t, as we believe, an inexorable, progressive disease that has to be better “managed” by our health care system with better drugs, surgery and coordination of care? What if intensive lifestyle and dietary changes could completely reverse diabetes?

A ground breaking new study in Diabetologia proved that, indeed, type 2 diabetes can be reversed through diet changes, and, the study showed, this can happen quickly: in 1 to 8 weeks. That turns our perspective on diabetes upside down. Diabetes is not a one-way street.

We used to believe that once cells in your pancreas that make insulin (beta cells) poop out there was no reviving them and your only hope was more medication or insulin. We now know that is not so.

Continuing misconceptions about what causes diabetes and our unwillingness to embrace methods know to reverse it have lead to a catastrophic increase in the illness. Today one in four Americans over 60 years old has type 2 diabetes. By 2020, one in two Americans will have pre-diabetes or diabetes. Tragically, physicians will miss the diagnosis for ninety percent with pre-diabetes or diabetes. (Below I tell you exactly what tests to ask your doctor to perform and how to interpret them).

From 1983 to 2008, world-wide diabetes incidence has increased 7 fold from 35 to 240 million. Remarkably, in just the last 3 years from 2008 to 2011, we have added another 110 million to the diabetes roll call. And increasingly small children as young as eight are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (formerly called adult onset diabetes). They are having strokes at 15 years old and needing cardiac bypasses at 25 year old. The economic burden of caring for these people with pre-diabetes and diabetes will be $3.5 trillion over 10 years.

If we have a known cure, a proven way to reverse this disease, shouldn’t we be focused on implementing programs to scale this cure? Unfortunately despite this extraordinary new research, the findings will likely be pushed aside in favor of the latest greatest pill or surgical technique because behavior and lifestyle change is “hard.” In fact, with the right conditions and support, lifestyle diet and lifestyle change is very achievable.

What did research show?

Reversing Diabetes: Can it Be Done in a Week?

The study, entitled Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalization of beta cell function in association with decrease pancreas and liver triglycerides, was exquisitely done. The bottom line: A dramatic diet change (protein shake, low glycemic load, plant-based low-calorie diet but no exercise) in diabetics reversed most features of diabetes within one week and all features by eight weeks. That’s right, diabetes was reversed in one week. That’s more powerful than any drug known to modern science.

We know from gastric bypass patients that with rapid changes in diet right after surgery, within just a few days, without significant weight loss, diabetes goes away—fatty livers heal, cholesterol levels plummet. Some theorized it was because of changes in the stomach hormones related to the gastric surgery. Others, including the researchers of this new study surmised that maybe it was just the drastic change in diet. So they went about studying just the diet change without surgery.

They studied 11 people with diabetes and compared them to a control group. Through very sophisticated techniques including MRI imaging, they measured their blood sugar and insulin responses, cholesterol levels and fat in the pancreas and liver (some of the hallmarks of diabetes) before and after diet changes at 1, 4 and 8 weeks.

What they found was revolutionary. The beta cells—the pancreas’ insulin producing cells—woke up, and the fat deposits in the pancreas and liver went away. Blood sugars normalized in just one week, triglycerides dropped in half in one week and reduced 10-fold in eight weeks. The body’s cells became more insulin sensitive and essentially, in just 8 weeks, all evidence of diabetes was gone and the diabetic patients looked just like the normal controls on all the testing.

While this may be surprising to most, it is something I see regularly in my medical practice. With focused, strategic, scientifically based nutritional intervention, combined with exercise, stress management and sugar and insulin balancing nutritional supplements, many of my patients completely reverse their diabetes. And the side effects—more energy, better sleep, improved sexual function and weight loss—are all good.

What most don’t realize is that pre-diabetes and diabetes exist on a continuum and both dramatically increase the risk of heart attacks, stroke, cancer, infertility, sexual dysfunction, depression and dementia. You don’t have to get diabetes to be at risk for all those problems. That is why it is so important to get your doctor to diagnose pre-diabetes early and implement an intensive lifestyle program to help you reserve it.

You may be at risk if you have extra belly fat, have a family history of diabetes, gestational diabetes, are in at risk ethnic group (Asian, Hispanic, African American, Native American, Middle Eastern), have high triglycerides (> 150 mg/dl) or a low HDL (< 50 mg/dl) or have high blood pressure.

If any of these apply to you or you have other cause for concern, here is what to do.

How to Reverse Your Diabetes

First, get your doctor to test the following:

1. A 75-gram glucose tolerance test measuring BOTH glucose and insulin fasting and 1 and 2 hours later. Your fasting blood sugar should be less than 100 mg/dl and your 1 and 2 hour sugar levels should be less than 130 mg/dl. Your fasting insulin should be less than 10, and your 1 and 2 hour levels should be less than 35.
  2. Triglycerides should be less than 150 mg/dl and HDL (good cholesterol) should be over 50 mg/dl, and the triglyceride to HDL ratio should be less than 4. These ranges are meaningful only if you are on no medication.
  3. Newer cholesterol tests measure the size of your cholesterol particles and is very effective in diagnosing problems with pre-diabetes early. In fact, this is the only cholesterol test we should be performing.

And here’s the program I use for my patients to reverse diabetes:

1. Eat a low glycemic load, high fiber, plant-based diet of vegetables, beans, nuts, limited whole grains, fruit and lean animal protein
  2. Vigorous exercise (fast walking, running, biking, etc.) 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and strength training 20 minutes 3 times a week
  3. Take a good multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D and blood sugar and insulin balancing nutrients (including chromium and alpha lipoic acid)

Remember, pre-diabetes and diabetes is not a one way street and the solution is not at the bottom of a pill bottle or the end of an insulin syringe, it is at the end of your fork and in the shoes on your feet!

Now I’d like to hear from you …

Do you think diabetes can be reversed? If so, how?

What methods have you tried to gain control of your diabetes or weight gain? How have those methods worked for you?

Why do you think accessible, scalable, lifestyle solutions like these that actually reverse chronic illness are not more frequently prescribed in conventional doctor’s offices? How can we change this?

Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to New Research Finds Diabetes Can Be Reversed

1. Concerned Daughter February 6, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Thank you for sharing the information on naturally reversing diabetes. I’ve been looking for alternative methods for my father who is 85 years old and diabetic.

Would you have any suggestions on beverages that do not have artificial sweeteners for diabetics? My father only likes to have sweetened beverages and drinks the diet products which contain the artificial sweeteners.

2. Julie February 12, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

About 5 months ago my A1C was 6.9 and I was eating whatever I wanted and my total cholesterol was 270; triglycerides 285 HDL 67 and LDL 144; CHOL/HDLC ratio: 4.0 Non-HDL CHOLESTEROL 203. Then I went on a diet – lost 10 pounds (now I am less than 105 lbs) –took another blood test –and my A1C went up to 7.3 !!! My total cholesterol was 218; HDL 57; Triglocerides: 133; LDL CHOL – 134; now my chol/HDLC ratio is 3.8 Non HDL Cholestrol 161. there was 3 months inbetween tests. I am now checking my blood sugar a few times a day and finally it is under 125 every day in the morning – average 108 but it has been under 100 – as low as 88. I think I was not eating enough and my blood sugar was spiking at night and my blood sugar fasting was averaging 130-140. Since I started having supper my morning blood sugar fasting is lower. I am on Toprol 5 mg 1 x a day. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I am not on medication for my blood sugar yet, but the doctor is pushing me to get on meds especially since my A1C went from 6.9 to 7.3 in about 3 1/2 months. Thank you, Julie

• George.E.M. March 19, 2013 at 3:34 am #

Please have a look at this (section 3) and this (section 4) of a related article. It will be of use to you as well as many others.

• ben November 22, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

there is new studies showing that for some women statins will increase their sugar — have to be careful on how much you take

3. Adelissa February 20, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I had a fasting blood sugar of 123, was morbidly obese and tired of it. I heard about south beach which is basically eating good carbs and weeding out all the sugar and refined carbs, and tried it for 4 weeks, went back to the dr and my fasting blood sugar was 99, so it can be done. I think people who had prediabetes once are more likely to get it again than people who never had it though. I can still get over 100 if I have too many carbs the night before but I have been on average in the low 90s for over a year.

4. Backpacking Gear March 13, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Thanks for posting such a nice thinking, post is very good.

5. saima naveed March 27, 2013 at 3:57 am #

As i have been diagnosed with pre diabetes about 3 months back and i am really glad to read that diabetes is reversable but I have a family history of diabetes I am trying my level best to cut down on carbs and also doing brisk walking every day for half an hour . Dr Mark I would be very greatful if u would advise me what more to do

thanking you in anticipation

Saima

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Hi Saima,

Thank you for your interest in Dr Hyman’s work. Because Dr Hyman cannot provide personal medical advice in this forum, what would be best for you is to look into Dr Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution at http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com and start there.

If you would like to make an appointment at Dr. Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA please go to:http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/ When you are finished reading through the material you may call the office at After you have reviewed this, please contact our office to make an appointment. By phone, (413) 637-9991; by email, office@ultrawellnesscenter.com

6. JC April 1, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Would love to hear your thoughts on this article: http://chriskresser.com/when-it-comes-to-fish-oil-more-is-not-better

I have taken fish oil for years in order to increase HDL and lower inflammation, but now I’ve quit taking it until further studies come to light.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Hi JC,

Dr Hyman supports the use of high quality, purified fish oil. For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

7. LEH April 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

One of the reasons that diabetes rates are “skyrocketing” is in 1997, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the federal government lowered the per se standard for diagnosing diabetes from a fasting blood glucose level of 140 mg/dL to 126 mg/dL.7

There is absolutely no proof that changing the diagnostic criteria has improved the health of the American public.

8. Geo S. April 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Dear Dr. Hyman, I went to my Doc for a penis fungus infection and they found that my BG was 285 4 weeks ago. I came to learn that they did not inform me that my last physical (sept 2012) my BG ws 170, I am 46 and was 275 lbs back then, at the Doc’s visit I was 265, my BP was 140/82, she branded me type 2 and prescribed a BP pill and Glucose lowering pill. I decided to follow a Diet pretty similar to what you recommend and started going to the gym for an hour every morning and a MTB ride most evenings.

it took me 5 days to be below 120, and 6 more to go below 100, I been seating there for the last 10 days, between 84 and 98. I gave blood and my hemoglobin was 17.5, my total cholesterol was 193 and my BP was 115/74. I have lost 18 lbs since my Doc’s visit. I feel that the 285 BG was caused because I had binged on sweets the previous day and was not on an empty stomach.

Can you recommend a doctor that focuses on nutrition/exercise in the south San Diego area? I greatly appreciate it.

HymanStaff April 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Hi Geo T.,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine, who may have a recommendation, in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine website: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117.

9. Juliya April 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Hey Doc

I am 29 years old . I was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago and was devastated by the news. I am on metformin now. I would really like to reverse this condition and lead a normal life. I am ready to go to any extend to reverse this. I asked my nurse whether I would be able to discontinue the medicine in the future if I lead a healthy lifestyle , she said NO. This article has made me think it is possible. Please help me out. Thank you

HymanStaff April 17, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Juliya,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

10. Juliya April 20, 2013 at 4:39 am #

Hey

Was that an automated message? I did not understand you. I have not mentioned any symptoms. I live in london and there is no other way than the internet that we could communicate.
    I checked my BG before going to bed at night it was 5.9 and then in the morning when i checked it was 6.2. It did not make any sense to me. I didn’t even drink water before I checked.Would you be able to tell me y the fluctuation .Thank you

• ben November 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

if your body senses being low on sugar at night the liver will release a hormone which will increase sugar count — sounds like you are just learning (like me) — eat some protein with a little fruit before going to bed – then you hopefully wont get the spikes

11. Schyler May 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

I have a question. First let me say, I am working with a dr on this issue so am not looking for specific medial advise. I just want ask if you have come across similar circumstances where it appears that stress alone am be the cause of a potential pre-diabetic diagnosis.

I am a certified personal trainer and groupmx instructor. I have long bee following an extremely healthy lifestyle including working out (weights and cardio) 7 days a week 1-2 hours a day in addition to healthy eating habits: lean protein, vegetables, nuts, fruits, extremely limited dairy and wheat and processed foods. Stress has been extremely high along with a type a personality. Over the past six years I have experienced numerous life experiences that are stressful (like over 10 major events).

I can’t eat any healthier or exercise any more than I am…it is just hard for me to believe that stress could be the sole culprit!!?? Any thoughts

HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Hi Schyler,

We cannot offer medical advice over the internet, please see: http://drhyman.com/blog/tag/stress/ for other articles on the topic that may be of help to you.

12. vpn May 16, 2013 at 3:15 am #

Greetings! I’ve been following your internet site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just needed to mention keep up the fantastic work!

13. Steven Garver, DHSc, PA-C August 8, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

What is Dr. Hyman’s opinion of the Paleo diet/lifestyle? I have used this method in treating my diabetics and have had amazing results in all parameters of the disease.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. While he does not endorse any particular diet, there are some some similarities between the paleo-style of eating and his dietary guidelines in his book, The Blood Sugar Solution. http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s virtual nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.
      In Good Health,
      The Nutrition Team

14. Jorge Salman August 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I had been wanting to know if you ever considered adjusting the page layout of your website? Its very well written; I really like what you have got to say. But maybe you can create a a bit more in the way of written content so people can connect with it better. Youve got a great deal of wording for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Dear Jorge,

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass it along to the team!

In good health,
      The Nutrition Team

15. JAMAL ABDUL NASIR November 23, 2013 at 2:28 am #

THANKING YOU FOR YOUR KIND PROCEDURE PRECATIONS AND REVERSING THE DIBETIES I TRYIED ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND SUCCESFULLY REVERSED MY BLOOD SHOUGER LEVEL ALSO A REVERSE CHANGE OCCURED IN hba1c TEST I AM A TYPE 2 DIBETIC PASITIONT AND NOW DAYS A AM DOING EXERCISE WALKING SWEMING AND AS WELL AS MY WEIGHT REDUCES THE REGULARLY TESTS SHOWN DECRESEING IAM VERY THANK FULL TO YOU

16. Raymond Neville December 11, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

At 64 yrs I completely reversed my Diabetes Type 2 by:

1 Stop eating foods with “Trans Fats”.
    2 Eat a fistful of Walnuts per day.
    This replaces the accumulated buildup of man made trans fats in your cell fat membranes and restores them to normal so that your insulin can work as intended. Walnuts are a very good source of essential natural fats.
    3 Do for 7 months … my Diabetes Type 2 completely reversed.
    Wrote a short eBooklet (10 pages) free on Kindle Prime called

“The Walnut Cure for Diabetes Type2″

Hope it helps someone.

17. R. Fisher December 27, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Dear Dr. Hyman,

I just wanted to share my experience as a diabetic on a similar diet with you and your readers. My journey as a diabetic has been atypical, so I will give you some back story. I have a strong family history of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in my family. My mother and her 2 sisters were diagnosed in young adulthood with type 2 diabetes (all were under 120 lbs.) Both of my mothers brothers were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 4 and 6 respectively. I have many cousins that do not have the disease at all, but I was diagnosed at age 17. At first it was believed that I was a late onset type 1 diabetic. My weight at the time was 130 lbs. I was carrying a little extra weight but not much. I did have numerous tests at the time of diagnosis and they did show that I was still producing insulin, but because I didn’t “fit the mold” of a type 2 diabetic because of my age and normal weight. My endocrinologist believed that my pancreas was failing and would not produce insulin much longer. I was treated with insulin injections and had fairly good control for 2 years (A1C under 8) After 2 years of injections I inquired about the insulin pump. My physician did some testing at that time and it was found that I was still producing my own insulin. He admitted that I had been misdiagnosed and was immediately switched to oral medications. At the time Metformin and sometimes others joined the mix. From age 19-34 I was treated that way with good control (A1C under 7).

That brings me to March 2013 when I was speaking with my brother-in-law, who is an Internist. He had put many of his Type 2 diabetic patients on a similar diet called Ideal Protein. He was able to get many off of meds all together and all of them were able to reduce meds significantly. The diet is very low carb, but also low fat. Basically while in Phase 1 of diet you only eat lean meat and certain vegetables. As I understand it, the theory of the physicians that developed this diet is that the pancreas can actually be “reprogrammed or “repaired” by following the diet. You are able to eventually reintroduce fruits and some complex carbs but initially you stay in ketosis. I decided to give it a try. I stopped all meds the day I started the diet and monitored my blood sugars multiple times a day. They were immediately under control (but of course they would be because I was eating very little carbs- under 20g a day). I did lose some weight too which was a great side effect. Down 15lbs, so now I am at 115lbs. I have followed this diet since for 9 months. I have had A1C checked 2x in this time. 5.1 and 5.3 were my numbers. I have had tighter control off of meds than I ever did with. I do now eat some fruit and I eat my carbs at only one meal a day.

The holidays were a bit more challenging. I did have the sweet stuff quite a few times and I always checked my glucose levels 1.5 hours later. Guess what, each time they were under 100! So I realize this isn’t a formal study or anything but I am a believer of this theory of reversal of the disease. Maybe you can really “heal” your pancreas. My endocrinologist is scratching his head. How can a Type 2 diabetic who has had the disease for nearly 20 years and who seems to have a very strong genetic component be able to turn things around. He believes that I am only controlling my diabetes with diet restrictions, and maybe he is right. I don’t plan on testing it out too much. My plan is to stay on a very low carb diet but I will be always looking for continued research on this theory. It seems like there are plenty physicians who are true believers even though the research is lacking.

Thank you for your work in this arena. We need more formal research studies done!

R. Fisher

Team Hyman December 27, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Thank you for the amazing story R. It sounds like you have come a long way. Keep up the amazing work.

18. ed wetschler December 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Dr. Hyman, why lean meat? Wouldn’t the presence of fats/oils in the stomach during a meal moderate the absorption of glucose? Personally, I don’t go in for butter or beef, but I do slather my food with a lot of olive oil.

One other question on another subject: I read the statistics near the beginning of your post just as I was looking at a supermarket flyer, and I said to myself, This flyer explains those statistics — cakes, white breads, biscuits, garbage breakfast cereals, soda, sweetened “savory” foods, white pasta, and on and on. Pretty scary, not just from a health point of view, but from an economic one: The U.S. simply cannot afford to have so many diabetics and pre-diabetics in its health system(s). Anyway, what’s the source of those statistics? Thank you.

19. Luis Medina March 25, 2014 at 12:55 am #

Hello there !!!. I walk 7 km everyday, I eat healthly. I reduced my weight in 12 kilos. I need reduce another 10 kilos to get a BMI ok.
    My glucose levels are in 94 *FPG* . I was diagnostic diabetic II witn one test of 220

Question:

If i reach my whealtly weight and stay there . Can i reverse Diabetes II ?. What happens if I get fat again ?

20. Mohammad Rafique March 25, 2014 at 7:01 am #

Hi readers,

Diabetics is reverseable.

Yes i bleiieve this,

I have done, I was fond of rich glucose food. i like too much meat ,

I was wounder i was just 65 kg height 5 feet 7 inches.i never bought a car, i always walk much.

i got suddenly M.i ( heart attack in 2010).

Doctors advised me to have by cardiac bypass. I ignored. i continued control diet. i was working hard. normal sugar i used , normal diet.

This year i bought labtop. I was working nearly 8 hours .My home near to work place,
    i came back evening and nearly 6 hours using labtop. I began full fat diet, much glucose & less sleeping just four hours sleeping.

I GOT HEART ATTACK AGAIN IN 2013.

i realized all that was du to very bad life style.

My diabetic level random went to 215.
    I stoped using sugar. I began to use vegetables . Sleeping 9 hours. Diet controlled.

I controlled diabetic and in these days the below mentioned sugar level.

Fsting is always between 100 to 115

Random is 130 to 170

Still need much more effort to controll.(I never used diabetic medicines)

Hope i will control more than this and will prove that diabetics can be reversed and will be no heart attack(M.I)

I am licesed Assistant Pharmacist, Homoeopathic Doctor.

But is my personal decession to cotinue as Allopathic Assistant Pharmacist.

21. Michael Kiralla April 9, 2014 at 8:04 am #

Find your info very helpful. As I do not participate in social networking or Google online chat, please provide an online / email fashion for me to follow your work on a regular basis. I appreciate how important this is and really would like to be kept in the loop of your teachings.

My sincere thanks for your help and assistance.

Best regards,

Michael Kiralla

22. Reversing diabetes April 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Diabetes can absolutely be reversed. I was diagnosed in February 2013.
    I went to a party and had 3 slices of pizza and an Italian pastry. I started getting sick around 45 minutes later. I was dizzy and felt as if I was going to crash. I went home and figured I’d just sleep off whatever I had going on. I felt the same the next morning. I went to the doctor, my sugar was checked and it was 279 fasting for 15 hours. My A1c was 10. I was immediately put on medication. I took medformin for a week and decided that taking pills was the easy way out. I decided I was going to take control of my life and do this without medication. I went to a nutrishionist. I was put on a dietary program. I am a terribly picky eater. Fish and some of the things required was not an option. We worked around it. Without even looking at sugar, I was told to have no more than 45g of carbs with break, lunch and dinner. NOTE…..the 45g of carbs was for each mail. I had 2 snacks a day with no more than 15g of carbs with each snack. I started doing very mild excercise. I did some cardio at the gym and mild weight lifting. My current fasting glucose falls between the 72 and 102 range. My A1c has ranged between 5.2 and 5.6.
    I have been horrible with the excercise for the last 6 months. I eat ANYTHING I want and stick within those guidelines. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter, I’m not quite as stringent. I eat what I want for the holiday. NOTE…..I said for the holiday. It’s a one day thing. I’m 24 lbs. lighter and it was almost effortless taking the weight off. It just melted off me. It’s really not difficult counting carbs. After a while it’s something you won’t even think about. I check my sugar daily. I check it fasting and non-fasting. I’ve learned what my trigger foods are and try to minimize them. Can diabetes be reversed without medication. ABSOLUTELY. I controlled my diabetes, took charge of my life. I’ve never felt or looked better and turned something bad into something good. If you go back to your old ways, it will return. It’s 14 months and it’s been the best 14 months I’ve had. Take control of your life and don’t let diabetes control you.

23. Angel May 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

I did it ! ! ! so far no meds & my diet is working while losing 10 plus lbs, i have a long way to go im sure but i will stay the course!!

24. K. Brenneman May 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

Hi…Wondering what is a safe amount of chromium to take for blood sugar control. My hubby is Type 11, but is controlling it by low carb/high fat diet. His M.D. stopped his Metformin August 2013. Thank you!

25. Thomas Hotchkiss July 10, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I am type 2 diabetic at age 74. I take 10mg twice/day and 5/100 once per day. My A1A is 7.0 However my fasting number this morning was 165. Your suggestion?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff July 29, 2014 at 1:12 pm #

Hi Thomas,
      Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. Unfortunately he cannot provide you personalized medical advice in this forum. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

You can also make an appointment to be a patient at Dr.Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Please go to: http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/.

26. nanc July 22, 2014 at 8:10 am #

You mentioned the results of a study of 11 people and all reversed their diabetes diagnosis within a week and a change of diet. Eleven people is a very small sample to make such claims. Why hasn’t this study been repeated and used a larger sample?

thanks

27. Julia August 2, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

I was looking for some spice to reverse diabetes, I have read a lot about it lately because I know diabetes is completely reversible, as a pre diabetic health insurance costs is one of the primary reasons I want to reverse my condition, thanks for this great post it also helped a lot in this journey,
    I stumbled upon a video on dailymotion that speaks of this spice, and I followed the program that they mentioned and I can already see a reduction in my insulin need. Here’s the video if anyone’s interested http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21anyf_66-reverse-diabetes-naturally-learn-how-to-reverse-66-diabetes-with-a-natural-diet-plan_lifestyle Thanks Dr Hyman you’re the best.

28. Elisa August 19, 2014 at 2:24 am #

I didn’t change my diet nor did I exercise at all. I was first put on Met for min and it didn’t help at all so the dose was increased to no avail. Just so you know, dieting was too difficult since I consider myself to be a binge eater and I have very little discipline or will power. Exercise was, to me, impossible, because I suffer from anhedonia and lack any motivation. Ok anyway excuses aside, I eventually was put on Byetta and after 3 months I decided to test my blood glucose after an overnight fast of about 12 hrs. My blood glucose was 94. Mind you it had never been below 199 so I had gave up testing. Well, just the other day my A1c was checked and it was just 5.9! Since I never exercised or dieted I can only assume Byetta did it! I’m no longer on any meds for diabetes.

29. Martin August 22, 2014 at 7:48 am #

I am 66 years old, male and retired. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes 2 and have started a total diet change and will be taking more exercise! A lifetime of sugar and a fondness for chocolate (fudge cake!) has led to this stage in my life. I was searching the Internet trying to learn as much as I can with regard to diabetes and came across your website. From feeling a little depressed I now feel far more positive and committed to the changes I need to make. Thank you!!

30. Daniel September 8, 2014 at 3:37 am #

Age 57. Family predisposition to Diabetes. Maternal grandfather a lifelong diabetic and my mu late onset. I am 5’1″ tall and weigh 56=57kg. Very athletic build. Judoka for 40 years and cycle to work at a fair pace for 80mins total/day. Usually high intensity interval training at lunch time also. I eat healthily with good carbs… almost no wheat breads, spelt and ancient grain breads, sweet potatoes, rice etc… but only in very modest quantities. Plenty fruit/veg but I do like steaks (with fat I’m afraid). Just got back from the GP … I did a glucose challenge test: 6.3 after 12 hour fast. then 1 hour after the glucose drink: 8.7… then 2 hours after 9.1, I think the units here in Australia are different from in the usa… but I am sure you can work out the values. They took blood samples but I asked the nurse to give me quick results using the (not so accurate) electronic measuring device. I will get the formal results in 2-3 days from the path lab via my gp. I have a feeling this will put me in the pre-diab category… and I am worried now.