Dr. Hyman Talks About Functional Medicine on The Dr. Oz Show

Functional medicine has finally started to move into the main stream! Recently, on The Dr. Oz Show, myself and four of my colleagues joined with Dr. Oz to talk about what functional medicine is, why it’s a critically important development in medical science, and how it promises to revolutionize medicine. It was an exciting show and I’m pleased to share link to it. Here is are links to the full show:

Here I would like to provide you links to several articles I have written on functional medicine as well as the opportunity to download a special report that will teach you how to use the principles of functional medicine to give yourself a biological tune up.

Get a Biological Tune Up!

The real promise of functional medicine is to give you the power to take back your health. It’s a disruptive technology designed to democratize health information. The age of the medical expert and the specialist is coming to an end. As we learn more about how everything is connected, it’s clear that looking at the underlying patterns of disease is the wave of the future–it’s the way all future chronic illness will be treated.

Learn More about Functional Medicine

Here are a few articles that will give you a deeper insight into what functional medicine is:

Articles and Videos

Articles for Medical Professionals

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below – but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

9 Responses to Dr. Hyman Talks About Functional Medicine on The Dr. Oz Show

1. sharyn barber April 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I am interested in the concept of functional medicine and finding a medical practitioner in my area, Naples, FL.

Also, can diabetes 1 be reversed?

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Hi Sharyn,

We can offer you a reference to a functional practitioner in your area but not medical advise on the Internet. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

2. Alana Faircloth May 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Sharyn,

Let me know if you find someone! I also live in Naples and would be interested!

Thank you!

3. LINDA SNYDER June 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I’D LIKE TO LEARN THE PRINCIPLES OF FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE SO THAT I MAY START TO GIVE MYSELF A BIOLOGICAL TUNE-UP, PLEASE! I HAVE DIZZY SPELLS FROM TIME TO TIME, BOWEL PROBLEMS LIKELY CAUSED BY MY FOOD ALLERGIES, RED SPLOTCHES THAT APPEAR ON MY FACE FROM TIME TO TIME (ROSACEA), MENTAL FOG AND SOMETIMES CONFUSION. ALL THESE SYMPTOMS COME AND GO, THEY DON’T OCCUR DAILY. IN ADDITION, MY SLEEP IS NOT NORMAL — ALL MY LIFE I’D SLEEP ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, BUT FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS OR SO, I WAKE UP AT LEAST ONCE EVERY NIGHT AND SOMETIMES I CANNOT GET BACK TO SLEEP. NEXT DAY AT WORK I AM NOT OPERATING ON ALL CYLINDERS, SO TO SPEAK! I AM 65.

RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN EMPLOYING THE “GOMBS” FORMULA: GREENS, ONIONS, MUSHROOMS, BERRIES AND SEEDS/NUTS IN MY DAILY DIET, AVOIDING ALL PROCESSED FOODS, GLUTEN, WHEAT, SUGARS, DAIRY, ETC.

I DINE MAINLY ON VEGGIES WITH A FRUIT/ ALMOND MILK SMOOTHIE IN AM; I HAVE FISH ONCE OR TWICE WEEKLY, EXCEPT TUNA. MEAT ONLY OCCASIONALLY, MOSTLY CHICKEN OR TURKEY. I HAVE A LARGE TOSSED SALAD EVERY DAY WITH NUTS, SEEDS, TOMATOES, ONIONS, VARIETY OF GREENS & HOMEMADE DRESSING WITH GARLIC, EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, HERBS AND MUSTARD. I HAVE AN APPLE EVERY DAY AND I AM STARTING A WALKING REGIMEN MOST DAYS, AS MY JOB AND LIFE-STYLE IN RECENT YEARS IS QUITE SEDENTARY, SO I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 45 POUNDS. I DRINK LOTS OF CLEAN WATER AND GREEN TEA AND SUPPLEMENTS: D3 W/ K2, LUTEIN W/ ZEAXANTHIN, A GOOD MULTI-VITAMIN AND ALSO GLUTATHIONE DAILY. HAVE BEEN DOING THESE THINGS FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS, NOW.

THANK YOU.

4. LINDA SNYDER June 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

OK, LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY. THANKS.

5. hcg May 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure
    why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Thanks, we checked the links and they work fine. Please try clearing your cache.

6. yoga props September 2, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the
    layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you
    customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice
    blog like this one today.