Cure for Diabetes Discovered

Recently, I attended a convention of the American Diabetes Association in New York City where the main booth heralded a breakthrough “cure” for diabetes. Excited to think I might learn something new, I hustled right over. Imagine my dismay when all the information at the booth was about weight-loss surgery!

Do we need a cure? Absolutely!

Is surgery a one-size-fits-all solution for diabetes? No way.

I understand the desire to find a solution. After all, Type 2 diabetes is looming as the biggest epidemic and public health issue in human history. Close to 300 million people are affected worldwide and another 150 million forecast to be diagnosed by 2030. The reason? Obesity.

Yes, obesity is a tenacious problem but surgery is only a Band-Aid solution, albeit one that is growing in popularity. In the last decade alone, the rate of weight-loss surgeries performed each year in the United States has increased from 10,000 to 230,000. But how many of the 1.7 billion overweight citizens of the world can afford gastric bypass? And how many of those will regain the weight?

I have seen many patients go under the knife for these procedures only to gain back the weight they lost, plus some. Weight-loss surgery may seem like a panacea, but it won’t solve the underlying hormonal and metabolic imbalances that are driving the diabetes and obesity.

My patient Alan is a prime example. Alan has been overweight since he was 6 years old and has never experienced a day without ravenous hunger. At age 40, he had gastric-bypass surgery and shrunk from 450 to 250 pounds. The size of his stomach changed, but his overall lifestyle did not. Eventually, he gained back 100 pounds. Even with a stomach the size of a walnut, he managed to gain weight one tiny, fattening bite at a time. By the time he landed in my office, he was 60 years old and tired of juggling all the complications of weight-loss surgery.

The Reality of Gastric Bypass: What Doctors Don’t Tell You

Alan is hardly an anomaly. A report on the effectiveness of weight-loss surgery published by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality found that within 3 to 5 years after laparoscopic gastric banding, as many as one-third of patients are not able to maintain weight loss due to noncompliance with a prescribed diet and other issues. Plus, the complications stemming from lap-band surgery were as high as 30 percent.

We also know that weight-loss surgery is not without risks. Altering the gastrointestinal tract can lead to nutritional deficiencies that require lifelong monitoring and supplementation of calcium, vitamin B12, folate, multivitamins, iron, and thiamine. And the psychological risks of these surgeries are often underplayed. In 2010, a study published in the American Journal of Medicine showed a dramatic increase in suicide among patients who had bariatric surgery, most occurring within three years following the surgery. (1)

Even more disturbing is the rise in overweight teens choosing weight-loss surgery. Since the late ‘90s, the number of weight-loss procedures performed on teenagers has skyrocketed. (2) Some studies show the mean age of these young patients is just 16 years old with some as young as 12! (3) Very few studies have looked at the long-term ramifications of these surgeries. What kind of problems are we passing on to our youth?

A Better Solution

Instead of glorifying the ability of weight-loss surgery to stem the tide of Type 2 diabetes in this country, we need to remember that Type 2 diabetes is an entirely preventable and reversible lifestyle disease. Let me repeat, there is clear evidence from the scientific literature that diabetes is reversible, especially if it is caught early and treated aggressively through lifestyle intervention and nutritional support, and occasionally with medications. (4) In many cases even later stage diabetes can be reversed with very intensive lifestyle changes, medications and supplements.

A groundbreaking new study from England showed unequivocally that people with advanced Type 2 diabetes, when the pancreas has lost its oomph and the insulin-producing (beta) cells are damaged, can reverse the course of the disease in just one week by optimizing dietary strategies, such as eating low-glycemic foods and by staying on a low-calorie diet. (5)

One week!

The best news is that dietary changes alone can help your body heal. Studies of patients who have weight-loss surgery show that even a dramatic change in diet in a short period of time creates beneficial metabolic changes. (6) All the metrics we thought were related to obesity, such as high blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, inflammation, and clotting, are drastically reduced even without significant weight loss due to the rapid effects of dietary changes on the body (for more information on how to reverse diabetes with diet, see The Blood Sugar Solution.)

Let me be clear, maintaining a healthy weight is ideal for optimal health. But we shouldn’t be signing up for surgery without exhausting every other avenue. Curing diabetes with surgery relies on outdated ideas about the origins of disease and overlooks the complex web of biology as well as the social, political, and economic conditions at the root of our current epidemic.

We can do better.

To learn more please see The Blood Sugar Solution. Get one book for yourself, or get two books and give one to someone you love – you might be saving their life. When you purchase the book from this link you will automatically receive access to the following special bonuses:

• Special Report—Diabetes and Alzheimer’s: The Truth About “Type 3 Diabetes” and how you can avoid it.
  • More Delicious Recipes: 15 additional ways to make The Blood Sugar Solution as tasty as it’s healthy!
  • Dr. Hyman’s UltraWellness Nutrition Coaching – FREE for 30 days!
  • Hour 1 of The Blood Sugar Solution workshop DVD

Now I’d like to hear from you…

Have you considered bypass surgery?

Do you experience nutritional deficiencies due to bypass surgery?

Have you battled with weight loss?

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below.

References:
(1) Tindle HA, Omalu B, Courcoulas A, Marcus M, Hammers J, Kuller LH. Risk of suicide after long-term follow-up from bariatric surgery, Am J Med. 2010 Nov;123(11):1036-42
(2) Nguyen NT, Karipineni F, Masoomi H, Laugenour K, Reavis K, Hohmann S, Varela E. Increasing utilization of laparoscopic gastric banding in the adolescent: data from academic medical centers, 2002-2009. Am Surg. 2011 Nov;77(11):1510-4.
(3)Schilling PL, Davis MM, Albanese CT, Dutta S, Morton J. National trends in adolescent bariatric surgical procedures and implications for surgical centers of excellence. J AM Coll Surg. 2008 Sep;207(3):458
(4) Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, Knowler WC, et al. 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet. 2009 Nov 14;374(9702):1677-86.
(5) Lim EL, Hollingsworth KG, Aribisala BS, Chen MJ, Mathers JC, Taylor R. Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol. Diabetologia. 2011 Jun 9.
(6) Saliba J, Wattacheril J, Abumrad NN. Endocrine and metabolic response to gastric bypass. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009 Sep;12(5):515-21. Review.

102 Responses to Cure for Diabetes Discovered

1. Martin Guerra March 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Mark only an idea ,consider in your topics,people that went through surgery , and can find wayout with your believes.
    This article is very convincing , but also frustrating for people that has past recently a bypass surgery.
    Congrats!

• Amanda October 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

I had a complete gastric bypass on April 18th on 2007 I am 5’6 and weighed 330ish day of sugery. I know weigh 136 but still haven’t undertaken my skin removel sugery because the place I have gone to won’t sign off for me to have the plastic sugery cause they tell me that my “true” weight is unde 100lbs because my skin weighs at a mim 35lbs so they say I am under weight even though the scale says I am not but I know I am underweight I am struggling very hard with this. I want to get my skin removed but I get sick when I eat. Food just doesn’t want to stay down and I have serve stomach pains I don’t understand? I was wondering if after the sugery if maybe a glutten allergy could happen? Or if you have any ideas? Don’t says its in my head and its a psy thing please? I have meant pleanty of psy doc’s after my brother passed away when I was younger and for my other lets just say terrible things that happend to me that were not in my control till well lets just say he’s dead and can’t hurt me or my mom every again. If you even spend any time reading this thank you for your time.

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
        HymanStaff January 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

2. Kathy March 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

My Dr. told me the weight loss gimmicks are a million dollar business and to save my money and not buy the book. Can you change my mind?

• Lisa March 20, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Yes, gimmicks are a million dollar business but….doctors also make money treating ill people instead of providing real solutions. Dr. Hyman provides real solutions not just medication. Check out Dr. Hyman and Dr. William Davis as well with Wheat Belly. You will be surprised. Do the research. Don’t just take this information as a gimmick. Take the time to do this and you will see that it is not a gimmick.

• Gaetan A. Brouillard md June 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Hi, Kathy
      I know Dr. Hyman for many years with medical symposium around the USA, and what he is talking about is the authentic
      solution about chronic desease.
      It is about time, it is not about money but it is about your health and RESULTS !!!

good health,

Dr. Brouillard , Quebec, Canada

• Jon July 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Kathy, I too was hesitant to throw good money after bad in the quest for health so I checked out Dr. Hyman’s book at the local library. My wife and I read it through and found it to be very real. I returned the library copy but bought two of my own. We marked up one and keep it nearby to for reference and we loan out the other copy to spread the good word. Every person is different. Borrow a copy from a friend or the library first if you can. I hope you enjoy the delight and surprise we are experiencing as our health and happiness grow.

• Profile photo of Team Hyman
        Team Hyman July 30, 2014 at 2:26 am #

Thank you for the support, Jon! We’re glad that you and your wife are finding such a positive change in your happiness and health! :)

3. Barbara Wooldridge March 2, 2012 at 11:24 am #

75 yr old 230 pound insulin dependent diabetic seeking answers to pain of neuapathy and a future more promising than a past full of heart stents, difficulty walking and functioning. I am a healthy eater, no salt, no sweets except birthdays, very little bread, skim milk, chicken & fish (5 oz max); and never loose a pound. I eat salad, love broccoli and cauliflower, I walk half hour every morning. Now going to start warm water therapy for sciatica.

• barb wager March 9, 2012 at 3:41 am #

I’m with you. I eat healthy, take supplements, don’t drink or smoke, never did. Drink lots of good water and do many more good things, but can’t lose weight. I don’t have energy to exercise. Why doesn’t Dr. Hyman staff comment on this?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Hi Barb,

Thank you for writing in and sharing your support. Weight loss issues are quite complex and difficult to address with a blanket statement. Dr. Hyman’s work involves the simplification of weight issues by enlightening any imbalances within the body’s whole system as well as supporting the psycho-emotional element involved in sustainable weight management. One person’s struggle with weight can be starkly contrasted to the next person’s. However, an underlying and unifying thread in solving the weight mystery is the regulation of insulin. This is why Dr. Hyman was able to write an entire book dedicated to the role insulin plays in numerous inflammatory conditions. Yet, to properly diagnose why a particular person is struggling with weight loss necessitates digging deeper to unearth any imbalances in his or her 7 keys. You can learn more about these areas and how they effect Diabesity here:http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/04/28/7-keys-to-ultrawellness/

Then, to learn more about where you personally lie within the Diabesity spectrum, take this quiz:http://drhyman.com/the-ultrawellness-quiz/
        Start your journey to heal your unique imbalances, correct any nutrient, hormone, neurotransmitter or ther systemic deficiency by learning more about the Blood Sugar Solution. If you are interested and you want to be part of the community you will join a growing group of many people embarking on this weight loss journey together for sustained sucess. Any information you need or questions you have, we are here to help and serve you!http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/

Nutrition Coaching Team

4. Corey Schuler March 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I think you have the cure. And I agree, it isn’t surgery!

5. Profile photo of Mary Niski
    Mary Niski March 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Man I bought my book at Barn’s & Noble I guess I’ll take it back and buy one here. But I’m thinking of getting one for my sister so if I do how does she then get access to the extra recipies and such?
    I have thought about the lap band surgery but I work in the medical field and surgery is scarey so no way I’m doing that.
    I had a patient who had the full on gastric bypass die from an infected pressure sore after fighting to live through life threatening post-op complications that left her with only 1/10th of her small intestines intact and virtually no immune system. She became so malnurished her body consumed all her muscle protein and try as we might we could not get her walking after a year of rehab. She was wheelchair bound/bed bound and required TPN for nutrition.

I also had a friend regain the weight a year after the surgery and then had bypass surgery a 2nd time.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your participation and interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Yes, get your sister a copy of the book at Amazon. Then, return to this site:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/bss/launch/thankyou.html Have her insert the appropriate information and all the gifts will be awarded to her. Please let us know how we can support you while on the program!

Nutrition Coaching Program

• Shabnam March 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

When is the e book version of “The blood sugar solution ” coming out?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Hi Shabnam,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Right now there aren’t any plans for this version but plenty of info can be found by going online to http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com and perusing the various portals.

Nutrition Coaching Program

• Kathy August 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Both of the books, Blood Sugar Solution and Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook, are both available on Amazon as a Kindle book.

6. David March 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

I need help and I want to do something different. I’m on insulin. Injecting 52 units twice a day beforre meals. I’m also on lots of meds. I don’t need to take the quiz, because I know I have diabesity. I ordered your book and I want to get started soon.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Hi David,

When your book arrives you will quickly learn a variety of ways to approach resolving your blood sugar imbalances. And don’t forget the nutrition coaching as a support system to help guide you through the program. We are here for you and look forward to working with you to achieve your health goals.

Nutrition Coaching Team

7. jonesie March 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Do I need to finish the Blood Sugar Solution before I begin the process?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Hi Jonesie,

Thank you for your question regarding the process-it’s a great one! While we recommend reading through the bookin its entirety first there is no reason why you can’t start some of the preparation work involved-both mentally (journaling) and physically (prepping your kitchen). You can find this explained in more detail in chapter 15 “Start The Journey.” You can also get a head start with the diet by eliminating gluten and dairy.

For more info please stop by the nutrition coaching site and it will be our pleasure to serve you!

Nutrition Coaching Team

8. Paula March 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Hey Lizzy!
    I bought the book from Amazon last week. I reddemed 2 of the gifts, but have has a challenge getting the 30 day of free coaching. I typed “freecoach” in the space for the code, but they still want to charge me $19.95 and want to charge for autoship each month. Please respond, by email if you wish.
    Thanks

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Paula,

We emailed you. Please let us know how else we can serve you!

Nutrition Coaching Team

9. Robyn March 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

I can prove surgery doesn’t work, I had a lapband at great cost about 4 or 5 years ago, it never worked for me, so in the end sick of being sick at times got them to remove most of the liquid in the band. Here is the reason, last June I was diagnosed with a large brain tumour, upshot of it was I was lucky had it out and have been recouperating and now great, dropped 30 kilos over 60 pounds in my country we are metric, but I was told the tumour had been growing for a very long time, it had pushed the right hand side of my brain well up in the skull as seen on my MRIs and part of this lies why surgery for lapband never worked, it affected my cognative emotional and organisation skills, prior to learning about this tumour husband and I thought I had the beginning of Alzheimers because of behaviour as both my mother and grandmother had it. I have not heard a word from the surgeon who did my lapband in years, supposed to get care for life.

My whole life changed when I was taken from Intensive Care back to my private room, when I was given the menus for food, I ticked type 2 diabetic, and was fed accordingly, I ate mostly Mediterranean salads, low gi apple juice and herbal tea, I am 64 years old and the fun started once I came home. My husband doesn’t know how to cook, been married 46 years, so he would help me out to the kitchen and I would explain how to cook an omelette, etc, still losing weight and yesterday was given the all clear from my last MRI and EEG, we continue to eat fresh and now my husband has lost a lot of weight and he wasn’t that much over.

So I salute your Dr. Hyman, for this book, don’t know if it is in Australia as yet or the cost, as after all this we have to seriously watch our money or what is left, I always look forward to the emails though.

Sincerely Robyn

10. Carol Garrett March 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

I walk my dog 3x a day, walk in this big house & do all my work, don’t eat cake or sugar & watch the carbs on packages.
    I don’t eat certain meats nor any sausages, hot dogs, etc. I eat checken & fish. I don’t know what else to do but I need to know what the process is in the book. I do NOT have time to read books so pls someone give me a hint.
    Thanks. Carol

11. Susan Wood March 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I had lapband surgery. Lost nothing despite adherence. Went to Ultrawellness center (still following their program and using the suggested supplements) and lost nothing-but feel lots healthier. However my diabetes, despite low glycemic careful diet, is slowly worsening. I have been treated with Victoza and Amlyn, managed my diabetes well but lost no weight, and had to go off when my liver enzymes skyrocketed. Saw another metabolic specialist in New York City, he says I will not be able to lose weight, but that I need a gastric bypass conversion IN ORDER TO CURE MY DIABETES.
    I have done everything humanly possible to lose weight, get healthy, and try to stem the diabetes. Nothing has worked. I have never been more discouraged about anything in my life. I have reached out to Dr. Hyman as a past patient at his center, and never have heard anything back. It is as if since his program which DOES work for most people, and DID make me feel lots better, but did not actually work for me in terms of weight loss and healing for diabetes and fibromyalgia type symptoms, I do not exist. So what do you say, Dr. Hyman? What about those of us who try everything and nothing works

• Katie March 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Often times I read about patients with unhealthy blood test results. All of my blood test results are always really good. Normal Glucose, Low triglycerides, great ldl to hdl ratio etc. The blood work looks great but I don’t look great. I need to lose quite a few pounds(more than 50) . How is it that my profile is so healthy , yet the BMI is not?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. The thing with conventional testing is that it can miss the underlying cause behind our symptoms even when lab reports show normal results. To learn more about functional testing, see: http://www.metametrix.com/hyman

Nutrition Coaching Program

12. KImberly March 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

What about those of us who are not overweight, but have high glucose readings? I have not seen anyone address this. I can not figure out what is going on to cause the high reading (upper 200s at times) I am at a loss as to what to do. Thanks

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Kimberly,
      Thank you for expressing your concern about being thin and having abnormal blood sugars. This is actually more common than you think and you are not alone! It has muchh to do with quality of carbohydrates, optimizing nutrition status, genetic susceptability to hormone imbalance and other imbalances in the 7 keys. The best thing for you to do is to manage your blood sugars by eating a diet which honors insulin sensitivity. Dr. Hyman’s new book, The Blood Sugar Solution, goes into great detail about why “surface” presentations and symptoms are less important than getting to the root of these issues. The program includes a complete diet, replete with shopping lists, recipes and a personalized plan to help bring balance to your unique biology.

For more info, please see: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com

Nutrition Coaching Program

13. Clara March 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

My physician has tried for over three yrs to convience me to do lap band surgery. I have seen people do well and I have seen people almost die from nutritional issues. I have many concerns about monitoring my nutrition, will it really happen after diabetes is considered “cured”? Also have watched many co-workers go under the lap band surgery and just complain always up-chucking. Yes I have weight issues, but got my A1C to 5.2 with the help of Lantus and switching my eating habits to 5 times per day, some days 6 times. My breakfast broken into 6am and 8:30am, lunch is at noon, usually okay until dinner, then another small snack at 7pm. My phyisican said the 5.2 is possible only because of the lantus, however, I was up to 7.1 A1C, watching and changing diet has had a big impact on the diabetes. Now if only I could lose some weight – UGH, about 50 lbs would be ideal. Very difficult.

14. Irma Morris March 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Hi, Dr Hyman,
    My name is Irma and I do have diabetes and high blood pressure. Nine years ago I discovered I had a tumor on my pitutary gland. That was March 13, 2003. The tumor was pressing on my artery and my optic nerve. So I had the tumor
    removed on December 23, 2003, by Dr Sandeep Kunwar in UCSF. I understand that he is the best in the U.S. if not the world. I went in one day and walked out the next day.
    I figure that I had the tumor at least 15 years and gained 150 pounds. Dr Kunwar said that most people lose the weight once the tumor has been removed. NO. Not Me! I now weight 350 pounds. I eat nothing and gain weight I eat salad and I gain weight. I am so good on a diet that I do believe there is not very many people that could hold a candle to me.

I went to an herbalist and was on a strict diet for 13 months and I lost 72 pounds. I was taking 144 herbs a day. No sugar, cookies or goodies, only veggies, meat (lean) nothing to drink except distilled water for 13 months. No coffee, tea, soda, milk, only water. NO dairy products. It felt good to lose the 72 pounds but eating light after the diet, NO soda, or junk food I gained it all back in 3 months.
    I do know that I have inflammation in my body.
    I do not know what to do.
    This depresses me so much which is not good for the weight.
    I am at this time on disability and do not know what to do.
    Thank You for taking the time to read this.
    If you have any information that might help please let me know

God Bless you
    Irma Morris
    931-526-9872

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Hi Irma,

Thank you for writing in about your health concerns. It seems like you might be an excellent candidate for the Blood Sugar Solution, Dr. Hyman’s new program to help you lose weight, balance hormones and get to the root cause of your frustrating symptoms. Go to http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com for plenty of resources, information, tools and tips on how to get started. You can also become part of a large community of people just like yourself and this support system is priceless and free! If you are interested in seeking out a practitioner who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your zip. Progress accordingly from there.

Nutrition Coaching Program

15. tamin March 7, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

I had gastric bypass around 2 years ago and feel great! I am not going to say it’s easy, but what I will say is that you have to realize that it’s a life change. It will not work if you aren’t mentally ready. You have to have a doctor who take the time and require you to be examined inside and out, both mentally and physically. You have to let yourself morn the loss of your old life, and if you don’t accept that, your success is limited. My doctor and nutritionist were very blunt before and after having surgery about my life change and success. First I was told that I had to move, whether I wanted to or not, I had to move at least 5 times a day to build my strength. Next, stop counting calories. Instead, look at the fat, sugar, and protein content. The more protein the better, at the beginning (at least 70grams later), and 5 or less of sugar and 5 or less of fat. The last AND probably the most important part of the success, NO MORE white or wheat carbs. This means no cracker, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. You will always crave these things mentally, but the addiction will become almost impossible to control once it becomes a physical craving. I don’t regret my choice, as a matter of fact, I think it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I went from 270 lbs to 135. I will continue to work on this every day of my life, but know taking a few vitamins daily is just part of the day.

16. Richard Martin March 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Adelle Davis way back in the 50’s claimed that you can cure diabetes (if the pancreas has not been destroyed completely) with her diet (which is proscribed regularly these days) plus all the vitamins including a B complex pill, and minerals (especially zinc and chromium). Most doctors still refuse to even consider her advice. You can find all of her advice in her book “Let’s Get Well”.

17. p, FL March 7, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Dr. Hyman and staff,

Have only scanned new book since it arrived two days ago. Am wondering how you manage “Prep time” in only “five minutes”, when it takes much longer than that to just collect food items, wash and cut them up, etc., etc.

Recipe on pg.359 has 20 ingredients and includes opening cans (and storing remaining can amounts in a safe refrigerator container,) scrubbing and cutting up zucchini and green pepper(after removing seeds and putting other half away in refrigerator), scrubbing exterior and cutting and squeezing lime, and on it goes. Even locating, opening and closing spice containers, and ditto for wine bottle, takes
    some time.

I truly am not trying to be a complainer. I want to follow instructions; they just don’t seem realistic. HOW can all those things be done in
    a mere five minutes? Really, please respond!

When can this Wisconsin-born lass resume milk, yogurt, butter or margarine, cheese and comparable items with your plan? Will fruit preserves ever be allowed…even those without sugar?

What are: Vegenaise, bok choy, leek, goji berries, wheat-free tamari, coconut milk, Swiss chard, fennel bulb, firm tofu, lamb shanks, dry French lentils, raw honey, and where can they be purchased?

May Campari tomatoes be used instead of grape or cherry tomatoes?

Lastly,may the extremely “hot” spices be excluded? They irritate a family member’s stomach.

Thanks in advance for responding and helping our family get a good start with your Blood Sugar Solution.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s book. All these questions are great! Remember to check out the nutrition coaching site where our nutrition team can best serve you.

Nutrition Coaching Team

18. Susan March 7, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

Dr. Hyman, all of your anti gastric bypass surgery rhetoric is understood, but for some people like me, who have been compliant and informed patients, we have benefited greatly from it. I think it is professionally irresponsible for anyone to claim that any dietary,exercise, or surgical program works 100 percent of the time and, of course, that would be THEIR program. I had gastric bypass surgery seven years ago after trying every “diet” or “lifestyle change” known to mankind. I lost 75 pounds and have gained back 15 pounds over eight years, not bad considering I am in my 60s.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 28 years ago. My current endocrinologist was shocked to learn that a diabetes pateint for 28 years had controlled her blood glucose readings and HbA1c to within normal ranges WITHOUT taking any insulin. At one point my A1Cc was over 12 (before surgery) and has been maintained at around 6.5.

Yes, I carefully evaluated not only the pros and cons of gastric bypass, but the qualifications of surgeons. My surgeon was fantastic. One interesting thing he did for his patients was to continually hound us to never forget that daily B12 will be necessary every day for the rest of our lives, since we can’t absorb it. Interestingly, I have spoken with many people who have had bypass surgery and have gained back or even surpassed the weight they lost and feel “horrible.” In each case I have asked them if they had been taking their B12 supplements and they did not even know what it was! In each case, I bought them an initial supply of B12 and within a month they were losing weight again and “feeling wonderful.” For some reason, GB surgeons are not informing their patients of the absolute need for B-12. I don’t know why this is, but it is certainly something that some medical professionals need to tackle.

I have not had any complications from gastric bypass surgery and don’t beieve any competent medical professional are stating that it is a cure for diabetes.

19. Andrea Restall March 8, 2012 at 4:00 am #

I am a 68 year old type 2 diabetic. All my ranges blood pressure, sugar levels etc are within recommended range.I am 1stone overweight, but swimming 4/5 mornings a week, do a NHS walk twice a week [45 mins quick walking and help several old people with their gardens, so quite an active person. I now have pherifial neuropathy in my feet that is becoming worse and one side of one foot is quite numb. PLEASE is there anything I can do to either stop or slow down this frightening condition? My husband was a type 1 diabetic and I have learnt a lot from his mistakes. I cannot afford expensive products. Thank you.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for writing in and sharing your story. What an impressive life you lead-so active! Surely this helps you and with some other focused information under your belt you will be ready to take back your health and feel great. We have lots of health resources for you and perhaps the most valuable is Dr. Hyman’s new book, The Blood Sugar Solution. Not only is it an informative examination of the current diabesity epidemic but it is a diet and lifestyle program as well along with a community of lother people just like yourself who are ready for health improvements. To learn more about how you can change your diet and take back your health, visit http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com

Lizzy Nutrition Coaching Team

20. Ted March 8, 2012 at 7:04 am #

About six months ago I realized that I was digging my grave one fork full of crap at a time. I was diagnosed with sleep apena. The treatment with the apena machine helped me start getting some much needed sleep. As the sleep improved, so did my interest in eating better and exercise. My doc who said I had been pre-diabetic, simply said at one visit, “You are diabetic.” I thought I could keep pushing it off and “worry about it after the next food binge.” The docs called my condition “metabolic syndrome.” As I read about it on line, I realized it was not a good diagnosis. I have worked hard to control my eating with 5 Medi-Fast products a day and one great meal of vegis and some protein. I feel so good that my exercise has increased significantly. Several days ago I saw the internist–wow–he was thrilled. I have lost 60 lbs. My A1c is less that 5.1. The Doc shouted that I had “cured” my diabetes! I was taken off two pills a day of Lispinoprol/HCTZ 20/12.5 that had given me an unrelenting dry cough and another med. I love myself so much more! I am having such a great time buying new clothes and want to keep healthy and get off the apena machine. I had seen Dr Hyman on CBS Morning Show–what a terrific gift he is to all of us who are battling diabesity. Go for it, today!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Hi Ted
      We are so thrilled to hear of your success! Thank you for sharing your story with the community.

Nutrition Coaching Team

21. AK March 8, 2012 at 8:04 am #

The fact that more and more people are resorting to surgery is just another example of what’s wrong with our fee-for-service model of healthcare. Surgeons can make lots and lots of money performing these surgeries but, too often, the patient is no better off than he or she was before the surgery. It’s time we moved to a results-oriented system of care, one that rewards achieving results instead of giving financial incentive for procedures that patients may or may not need. Insurance companies can be a part of the solution. For example, they could agree to reduce someone’s premium if they achieve a certain cholesterol level or weight.

22. Marilyn March 8, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Have always been underweight, so when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, I was very surprised. However, I have 2 sisters and one brother all diabetics–none of us overweight. Went on very stringent diet and eat absolutely no sugar, very little white flour (use mostly Almond Flour) and then not a lot of that. I lost 12 lbs. that I didn’t have to lose and am now just 93 lbs. Believe me, dieting does not work for everyone and even though I keep my sugars under control with diet and exercise, I am still a diabetic and the word “cured” is not in my vocabulary. Where am I going wrong? I never see anyone answer questions about “thin” diabetics. What does someone too thin do to be healthy again?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for sharing your journey with DM2. It sounds like you and your family have been through a lot with this condition and are probably well informed. You might appreciate another take on the information you have been reading on blood sugars, weight and insulin sensitivity. There are many variables in insulin resistance which is why there is a spectrum Dr. Hyman likes to call Diabesity. You might enjoy learning more about this and see how it related to your particular needs. Check it out:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/

Also for a more personalized nutrition plan, please see:http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs We would be happy to serve your nutrition needs in more detail.

Nutrition Coaching Team

23. Jim March 8, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I am considering the gastric sleeve. No re-routing of the intestines, just leaves you with about 15% of your stomach. I am 51 with type 2, high bp. I am highly motivated to eat right and exercise, just need some way to stop the overeating.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Hi Jim,

Thank you for sharing your concerns about DM2 and other symptoms you are experiencing relating to insulin. There is so much you can do and we sure can provide you some effective and sustainable tools for establishing healthy eating hygiene and weight management. Dr. Hyman’s new book, The Blood Sugar Solution, is a fabulous resource for you and I highly suggest you explore the preview so you can gain insight on how simple modifications in your lifestyle can have drastic changes in your health outcome. This is not just a book though, it is bigger than that- it is a movement of people just like yourself who are needing change and want something to believe in which will have lasting results! The book is a bridge to join a community where you can learn, participate, and grow. Learn more here: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/

Nutrition Coaching Team

24. Marty Rhea, ND March 8, 2012 at 11:29 am #

This also presupposes that everyone with diabetes is overweight. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1996 at 35 years old. At 6’3″ and 180 pounds, he is not overweight, but his trigs were in the 800 range and the day we met with the doctor who finally figured out what was wrong, his blood sugar was over 400. I since went on to become a naturopath to try to see if I could figure out how to help him. Allopathic medicine wasn’t.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Hi Marty,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work and for sharing your thoughts. You bring up a great point and we might all benefit from knowing the truth which lies beneath the surface… We sincerely hope your husband has improved health and feels well. What a wonderful story you share with the community!

Nutrition Coaching Team

25. Dr. Kathleen Olsson Nelson March 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Greetings: My solution to weight loss is simple: ignore all the mainstream medical community disinformation; all the weight loss programs; fast weight loss pills; gazillion of diet books and the rest of the hype around weight loss. Here is the KEY: Eliminate ALL gluten and lectin containing products like wheat, soy, oats, corn, and any other grains like all kinds of beans, etc. that contain gluten and lectins. I read all labels on canned soups, packaged foods, etc. and do NOT buy anything that contains same. As a result, I lost 50 pounds over an 8 month period, effortlessly. I substituted gluten and lectin free foods that I purchase at a natural foods store. I feel a million times better, look insanely sleek and slim. I now fit into a size of clothing that I wore as a teenager. So, my suggestion for weight loss is to ditch all pastry, breads, grains and legumes from your diet, substitute wholesome foods like veggies, fruits, cheeses, gluten free breads and so forth (Kinnikinnick.com makes the most awesome gluten free foods, second in choice is Glutino’s products). No more gastrointestinal symptoms, no more obesity. Gluten free life works!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Hi Kathleen,

We are happy to hear of your success. Much more to come your way! Thank you for sharing your story and participating in the community.

Nutrition Coaching Team

26. Helen Ainsworth March 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

I’m 63 years old, had diabetes 2 for ten years. Sick most of the time. Ache all over. No energy. Ready to just stay in bed and die. Meds are not working, A1C is 8. Also have heart disease and atrial fibrillation. Can’t take too much more. Going to doctor this afternoon to get results of ultrsound of abdomen. Said he want wants to talk to me about it in person, so sounds like bad new to me. All I want to do is sleep. Weight is 380 pounds. Surgery not advised because of heart disease. Should I just give up the fight?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Hi Helen,

Thank you for writing in and sharing a bit about yourself. By all means, there is hope! Your struggle with feeling poorly can end and will indeed improve with appropriate care and nutriton. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your zip. Progress accordingly from there.

Have you explored Dr. Hyman’s Blood Sugar Solution yet? It seems like a great match for your needs and chock full of valuable information, tips and tools for you to begin your health journey. And, make sure you read about the community of others just like yourself who want a new lease on life and are taking the plunge into wellness. Also, you will get access to a personalized nutrition plan. To learn more about nutrition coaching please see:http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs

27. Laurie March 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

I work as a health coach at Integrity in NH. We deal with woman who have struggled with this by-pass surgery. Some of the stories I hear…my heart breaks for these women. So many people are over-weight and sick. =(

Unfortunately unless our food supply becomes better we will continue to see issues. Thank you for posting these articles and for your book. I feel like I am learning so much since discovering your site…my hopes are to be able to learn more and pass that info onto my ladies that I coach.

Love what you are doing Doctor Hyman.

Laurie Gouley

28. Patrick Dillon March 9, 2012 at 9:32 am #

I am a hypnotherapist and often work with diabetic clients for weight loss. My program is very successful. I have people follow the Zone eating system by Dr. Barry Sears. It is a low glycemic diet. The hypnosis is what makes the clilent stick with the program. If you wish to contact me you can at patmdillon@aol.com. Best of luck and stay away from the sugars (particularly the hidden sugars in foods like potatos.)

• Little Sister March 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I recently lost my sister to “Type 2″ diabetes and she had it mid to later in life, so I know what battle I’m fighting. My sister didn’t want to be bothered with any effort, and the meds and consequences took it’s toll on her in the end.
      So, I am doing the most natural (diet, exercise: hired a trainer,etc.) path I can, but my belly weight gain is stubborn the past 4 years in spite of efforts. My MD says “get rid of the stress first and the rest will follow” since my numbers are GOOD.
      What can I do to attact that weight that I already haven’t tried? Really relaxing and de-stressing is at the top of my list!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Hi There Little Sister,

You sound like you are on the right path re: natural approach to weight management and imporving insulin sensitvity. We are sorry to hear about your sister. What a beautiful way to honor her life-surely your health and wellness will mean something special to all who loved her. As for what you can do in addition to the relaxation response (which is incredibly important!), we suggest the following:
        1. Get started on some lifestyle modifications and arm yourself with information! Check this out:http://drhyman.com/blog/conditions/8-steps-to-reversing-diabesity/
        2. Join a community of people, just like yourself who have similar goals. The experience of being part of a movement while also receiving positive support from others is powerful medicine. Also, learn some clever tricks, tips secrets of sustainable weight loss while gaining access to valuable resources. It is called The Blood Sugar Solution, check it out and get started! http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/

Nutrition Coaching Team

29. Gail C March 9, 2012 at 9:51 am #

To answer a couple of questions, yes I battle with weight and yes I have considered bariatric surgery but so far I have not, due to potential side effects I am not willing to endure. I’m going to read your book with hopes that it will help me. I just felt compelled to mention more about bariatric surgery since everyone quickly points out all the negative side effects and seems to imply the reason it helps diabetics is simply due to weight loss, which is not the whole story. Early clinical studies showed that surgical control of diabetes even with patients who have a BMI < 35 is possible. "The gastrointestinal tract produces a large number of hormones that can influence glucose metabolism. We should not be surprised that surgical alterations of gastrointestinal anatomy can have an impact on diabetes,” Dr. Francesco Rubino MD said. “On the other hand, it is also likely that different operations may elicit different mechanisms of diabetes control.” Surgery exerts a direct impact on glucose tolerance by bypassing the the proximal small bowel. These operations result in two types of consequences, both of which have potential antidiabetic effects: firstly, elimination of duodenal passage of nutrients, which might offset signals negatively involved in the regulation of insulin secretion and/or action (“proximal hypothesis”); and, secondly, nutrients meet the distal intestine early on, which thereby enhances incretin glucagon-like peptide 1 secretion from the L-cells of the distal intestine (“distal hypothesis”). Which is believed to iimprove insulin sensitivity. Of course long term studies and the durability of the antidiabetic effect is ongoing with some believing the disease may re-emerge after time if there is further loss of beta cell function.
    Endocrine Today Sept 2008 Bariatric sugery — a cure for diabetes?

30. Madeleine March 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

I have made it to age 65 without becoming diabetic, but do struggle with weight and hypoglycemia and have begun following Dr. Hyman’s recommendations in Ultrametabolism. However, for those who suffer from Type II Diabetis an additional very helpful natural therapy is to take large doses of Vitamin C, along with the amino acids l-Proline, and l-Lysine (specifically 2,000 mg. of each 3 times a day). This is part of the therapy recommended by Mathias Rath, M.D., and the late Linus Pauling, Ph.D., for heart disease. A lot of people do not realize that Type II diabetes is a cardiovascular disease. That is why this therapy is helpful. I am not suggesting that anyone disregard lifestyle changes, but for people who are already active and of normal weight the Pauling/Rath therapy may be what they need.

31. jeanette March 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

dear dr.hyman, please respond to me, i have diabetes was diagnosed in early 2000. i have type 1 diabetes. i am currently taking lantus flex-pen. i am not over weight, i barely weigh 120 pounds. i want to try blood sugar solutions,but only type 2 is mentioned in most articles. i have elevated liver enzymes, severe neurapathy, my kidney has moved,whatever that means,that what i was told,my heart rate is high not normal,and i stay depressed. i am 50 yrs old and basically feel as though my life is poor quality. i’m not excited about life not like i use to be. please help me with a solution if possible.my pancreas does not produce the insulin that i need. this has been a hard journey for me and i want to be cured.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Hi Jeanette,

Thank you for writing in and sharing a bit about your health concerns. We sympathize with you and do indeed suggest The Blood Sugar Solution for you. Perhaps, without the some of the supplements but that can be adjusted. The goal of the program is to implement anti inflammatory protocol which eliminate all triggers to cause insulin spikes and glucose surges. By eliminating these stressors diet can greatly influence how you feel. Make sure to stop by nutrition coaching for a specialized plan. Meanwhile, you can also check this article out: http://drhyman.com/blog/conditions/is-there-a-cure-for-autoimmune-disease/

Nutrition Coaching Program

• Mrs. Maurie McGaughey March 16, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

I watched you on PBS. I have read everything that you have ever written. It all is great but… What is a person supposed to do that is 60 years old and has battled this problem all my life.
        I know that I am addicted to food and to sugar. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 15 years ago and it has
        continued to take over my life more and more.
        I finally have had some success over the last 7 weeks with getting my sugars down to between 100’s and 200’s
        mostly, which is good cause I was in the 700’s and 800’s. I have had several super low sugars 44 etc. but now
        know that i can’t do that.
        I am writing to you because after 7 weeks of exercising, counting points, successfully losing weight, I feel myself
        already giving up. The depression just takes over.
        I have lost 210 pounds twice in my life and don’t seem to be able to do it this time.
        Just one question…why ?
        Thank you if you can answer me.
        Thecook251@aol.com
        Maurie McGaughey

32. Profile photo of Martin
    Martin March 21, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

Can microalbuminaria be reversed? I was diagnosed with diabetes in Aug 2011 and just last week there are micro amounts of preotein in my urine. Shall I use caution with supplements, which ones can I take, What about strenous exercise. My blood glucose was much better this last time(91) and my cholesterol was 165 and AiC is 5.9. I need to lose about 125 lbs and have reduced sugar and starchy foods. My main concern is losing weigth fast but in a way that doesn’t harm the kidneys since there is microalbuminaria and hypertension. I want to eliminate hypertension and want to reverse diabetes so I don’t have to take medications and restore gucose levels to a normal range as well as restore beta cells in pancreas. How hard should I exercise. I know what i need to do but I want to do it safely to prevent further damage to kidneys and again, I want to reveerse the kidney condition. I’m currently taking metroprolol, Felodipine and because of the microalbuminaria now an ACE inhibitor has been added(lisipitor). In 1996 I lost weight very quickly using the Reams Metabolic Method(carrot/celery juice, drinking about 3 qts of distilled water per day, spirulina, powdered wheat grass and B vitamins. I had no salt, no sugar, no wheat, no red meat and no dairy. Sadly I gained it back and much more when I stoped the program. I’m afraid if I do all this again, that it may harm my kidneys. I have decent physical endurance in spite of my excess weight but again, how much supplementation can I take and how hard can I exercise so as to not risk raising my already elevated blood pressure and causing damage to kidneys. Thanks.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Hi Martin,
      Thank you for writing in and expressing your interest in losing weight effectively without harming your kidneys. This is a noble goal and we would be glad to help you. If you feel your root issues involve your weight and insulin function you might be very interested to know that Dr. Hyman’s new book, The Blood Sugar Solution is a thorough examination on the underlying issues in hormone imbalance, namely, insulin. Even moreso, the book has a complete guide to taking back your health via diet, supplements and other well researched lifestyle tools to normalize your entire system. And, there is a complete online community of people just like yourself who can answer questions and provide resources. All of your questions will be answered very eloquently in Dr. Hyman’s book and then some! Learn more here: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com

Unfortunately we cannot provide more specific information in this internet forum but would love to work with you in the nutrition coaching forum. For a personalized nutrition plan, please see:http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs

If you feel your health status warrants medical intervention please do not hesitate to work with a functional medicine physician in your area. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your zip. Progress accordingly from there.

Learn more here: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com

Nutrition Coaching Program

33. Dukes March 25, 2012 at 9:11 am #

I’ve purchased your book and watched several of your programs but I need your help!! I have type 2 diabetes and on a pump. I’ve had diabetes for over thirty years And my average A1c is around 7. I’m on cholesterol meds and low dose aspirin. I’m so confuessed with what to take, what not to take. My sugars go up and down and I need to fix this NOW! I also have joint pain constantly. I been on insulin so long I,m afraid to change! Please help me get started and change my life. Are you going to be in the Philadelphia area soon? I need to change now!

34. Kathleen Amatangelo March 30, 2012 at 1:55 am #

As a mother and grandmother of kids with Type 1 Diabetes, I wish you would be more careful with titles of your articles such as, “Cure for Diabetes Discovered”. As you know there is no cure, as of yet, for Type 1 Diabetes. If doctors would be more specific about the type of “diabetes” they are writing about, it would be educational for the public and would be most helpful to parents who live with these special children who did NOT cause their illness by diet.

35. Pat April 7, 2012 at 8:36 am #

I packed on the pounds in a nursing home as they served food I wouldn’t have put in my trash…being a vegetarian and serious athlete I found myself between a rock and a hard place… I had a serious knee injury that required 18 mths of rehab and I had no one to care for me as I was the youngest in the family and cared for every one else. Inability to exercise and poor diet set me up for a slew of bad results. I doubled my weight, came down with a rare auto immune disease that required prednisone and a heart attack as result of allergic reaction to poor sanitation…It didn’t get better by changing nursing homes…Medicare truly was being ripped off. and I now have several serious health conditions as a result of it……children are not the only seriously vulnerable members of our society. No one wants to talk about this one and it needs to be on a fast track fix….
    I am out of nursing homes in cardiac rehab ( the sports doc is smiling because he gets no S**T from me) doing my 40 mins on the treadmill, keeping my diet at 1550-1650 cals and between days at rehab walking 1 hr in early morning when allergens are the lowest…got my prednisone lowered and in a year hopefully move my BMI to more acceptable ranges. I am a woman with a large build as I am borderline anorexic at a size 14 and I have never been able to keep my weight in acceptable levels without diet and exercise…quick fixes don’t work…

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 7, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Hi Pat,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You certainly have been through a lot and we admire your perserverence to march forth. Dr. Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution sounds like it might be a great program for you to follow. Have you looked into it? http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com And dont forget about his nutrition coaching service. The coaches can help guide you through a personal program to help you achieve your diet and health goals. For a personalized nutrition plan, please see:http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs

In good health,

36. Profile photo of Cynthia
    Cynthia May 5, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I have been monitoring my blood sugar for several months now in an attempt to educate myself and to prevent diabetes. I am 54, fit and slim (5’3″, 108 lbs) I see that if I eat limited carbs (brown rice, wild rice, etc.) plenty of vegetables and small amounts of protein my fasting blood sugar reading the next morning will be below 90. But there are times when my readings are surprising, like if I eat both brown rice and beans for dinner, my FBG will be in the 90s the next morning. Last night I had roast chicken with oven roasted vegetables (parsnips, carrots, baby white potatoes and sweet potatoes) and my FBG this morning was 93. I suspect that I can’t eat just root vegetables in a meal, I would need to eat a small amount of the root vegetables and a pile of greens, broccoli, squash, etc. Is that a better approach?
    — Cynthia

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Hi Cynthia,

Yes, you never want to “carb it alone” and always include a decent amount of fiber, protein or healthy fat with your carb source. probably best to stick to 1/2 cup starchey vegetables and 1/3 cup whole grains or legumes for the time being until you have stabalized your blood sugars.

37. Viji July 2, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

Dr Hyman,

I just came across your website an hour back, and have been reading through whatever information I have been getting on the subjects you have written about online. I also browsed through your website.

I have Palmarplantar psoriasis, and Alopecia Areata, as well as being a diabetic for the past 15 years. Without going into much history, I found it interesting that I got both the Psoriasis as well as the Alopecia at about the same time, early this year.

I have been thinking about making an appointment to come to your office. I live in NY. Should I first read your books or come and see you?

I have lost about 70% of my hair and am quite depressed.

Thanks

38. Profile photo of Betty Carter
    Betty Carter August 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I have been an insulin dependant diabetic for over 40 years. I had a thyroid problem when I was five years old, the beginning of a goiter, which was treated with tincture of iodine (I think but am not sure) for maybe a year, not sure how long. I didn’t have any further problems (that I knew about) with my thyroid until I was a teenager when I gained 40 lb
    in six months. My doctor ordered a BMR, which was low and he put me on Armour thyroid. I lost the weight and stayed on the Armour thyroid from then on. I graduated from high school, went to nursing school, got married, had three children. I am 5ft 6in. and weighed between 130-140 lbs. In 1972, I weighed 150 lbs, worked fulltime, had a husband and three children to care for and was fairly active. In three months, following a large oral abcess, I became very thirsty, lost 17 lbs , was uncharistically hungry all the time, affected my vision (eventually) and was tired all the time. My blood sugar was over 400 when I visited my Dr. He tried oral meds and diet for several weeks and my blood sugar did not budge. Since i was not overweight and fairly active he decided I had type I diabetes and put me on Insulin. Since then, two indocrinologists have said that the thyroid goiter I had as a child was likely Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Whatever….I have gained 50 lbs (weigh 190 lbs) in the 40 years since I have been on Insulin. I have been on an insulin pump for 3 years now (which is a big improvement over injections) and am wondering how I will handle my insulin requirements because I am sure there will be a change in my requirements when I start on the diet. Surely other diabetics have experienced this also. Can you give me some insight about how to manage this?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Wow Betty… thanks for sharing your journey about how you got here with us. For personalized attention you should check out the nutrition coaching portal. You can learn more about it here: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/

Also, I would highly suggest you join the community (free!) and start talking with countless other members who share a similiar story as yours. I think that would make you comfortable and inspired.

We look forward to having you on board!

39. Bruce August 19, 2012 at 9:37 am #

What about cures, RNAi Interferon and neuropeptide Substance “P”?

40. James Roe August 19, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I took two large shots of Insulin for over twenty-five years.
    Through your lifestyle change recommendations I have lost thirty odd pounds and my blood sugar has been normal for eighteen months. I would like to loose another twenty pounds for my BMI to be in the normal range.
    But I am stuck a 170 pounds for over three months. My diet is basically sweet potatoes, broccoli, and greens and 2-3 fruits a day. No salt, sugar, white flour and all the other stuff you recommend avoiding. As a vegan, I do pretty well. Eating out I am as careful as I can.
    But I cannot budge from 170 for the last three months. What am I doing wrong? I am 78 years old, have congestive heart failure, a pace maker and my only prescription drug is Warfarin. All my blood numbers, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.) are normal. I walk 7000 steps a day, five days a week.
    Please help

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff September 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Questions regarding medical conditions cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

41. meerab October 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

my cousin is 19 years old and she is suffering from diabetes 2 and using insulin twic ..plz recomid her what to do to get ride compeletly from dis disease ..

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff January 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

42. Wendy February 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

My understanding is the reversal of diabetes due to gastric bypass surgery is often immediate–within days, before the patient even begins to think about dieting. Discover magazine had an article in their 2012 issue. A quote:

“By 2005 we realized we were doing more than just obesity surgery; we were really manipulating the metabolism of these patients,” Teixeira says. He noticed dramatic improvements in blood chemistry and in clinical conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension. “These patients, in a month, were off all their meds.” Puzzled because the changes were much too rapid to result from weight loss, he decided to join Laferrère at St. Luke’s seven years ago.”

Apparently, though the surgical procedure they are bypassing certain areas of the intestine that play certain roles in hormonal secretion. The areas bypassed via the surgery also bypassed those areas that were involved in the development of Type 2 diabetes. One of the surgeon-scientists quoted in the article describes it as a sort of “rebooting” of something called the “incretin effect, boosting the body’s insulin production within a month.” (Incretin causes the pancreas to crank out insulin.)

Mind you, I’m not advocating the surgery. I can’t help but wonder what else they’re cutting out via those surgeries. The whole story certainly illustrates how much we just don’t know about the human body…

Link to the article: http://discovermagazine.com/2012/dec/29-bypass#.USQIVXN-SGp

That said, I have a question for you, Dr. Hyman: I am 5’4″ and 118. I eat low-glycemic during the week. On weekends, I have a splurge–anything from pancakes with syrup to Ben & Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar ice cream (mmmmm) to a …bag of Doritos. I thought I was being reasonable. Now, especially with the possible Type 3 diabetes link, I wonder… just how much can I get away with? Does anyone know? Is it only an ongoing glycemic overload that does the damage, or do I have to give up my splurges too? I don’t think I can…

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff February 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Hi Wendy,

It sounds like you would be the perfect candidate for Dr Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution program! Sometimes the foods we crave and think we cant live without are the foods we are most allergic to… For more info, please check out: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com

For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

• Wendy February 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Oh I’m familiar with food allergies and such… I went through severe adrenal fatigue in 2007-2008 and cleaned up my diet at that time. I just wondered about the occasional treat and what damage that does. NEVER having such a treat just isn’t going to happen–it’s not an allergy issue.

43. Wendy February 19, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

PS… Just heard you on NPR recently (The People’s Pharmacy), by the way… :) Good show.

44. Wendy February 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

You don’t need to publish this comment but since I can’t find any other way on your site to contact you, I’m putting it here… I was impressed with Dr. Hyman’s NPR show, made a note of the book, and sought out your site. My simple question about a once-a-week treat was just… a simple question. If you don’t know, just SAY the answer isn’t known. Your unfocused, hyperbubbly response, jumping all over a once-a-week variable treat as a possible “allergy” because I …LIKE it, with repetitive promotion of “Start our program!” was, well, a turnoff. It just sounds totally different than the straightforward information I heard on the NPR show.
    IMHO FWIW

45. Guy Priano August 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Are you aware of this program?

Affecting 300 million people in the world today and resulting in the death of one person every ten seconds, Type 2 diabetes has become a pandemic. Conventional medicine perpetuates the idea that it is an “incurable” disease, but Dr. Cousens’ Diabetes Recovery Program dispels the myth. Dr. Gabriel Cousens, M.D., M.D. (H), D.D., holistic physician and internationally acclaimed author of There is A Cure For Diabetes, leads this cutting edge program.

As featured in the movie Simply Raw–Reversing Diabetes in 30 days, this program revolutionizes the treatment of Type 2 diabetes. It involves a 3-week onsite intensive, 1 year of bi-weekly call follow-ups with a TOL nurse, and 1 year of monthly internet broadcast group checkins, follow up, and support with Dr. Cousens.

Based on 35 years of experience of treating diabetes naturally, this program is masterfully designed for the comprehensive healing of this chronic, degenerative syndrome in which high blood sugar is just a symptom. Of the 110 participants who participated in this program…

28% of IDDM Type Two Diabetics reversed their diabetes after 3 weeks with no insulin and a fasting blood sugar (FBS) of less than 100.
    60% of the NIDDM Type Two Diabetics were off all oral medications after 3 weeks with FBS less than than 100.
    100 percent of pre-diabetics healed.
    Inherent in the program’s design, is the understanding that true healing is a multi-faceted process that must address medical concerns in a context that fosters one’s spiritual evolution. This includes the implementation of dietary, nutritional, and lifestyle changes in addition to exercise, meditation, and psycho-spiritual awareness training.

“This program is a healthy alternative to the traditional allopathic route. It works best for those who love themselves enough to want to heal themselves” -Dr. Gabriel Cousens

PLEASE NOTE: This program is for Type 2 Diabetics and Pre-diabetics only. Dr. Cousens has determined that Type 1 diabetics benefit from more of his individual attention, which is possible during a Whole Person Healing and not feasible during the large group Diabetes Recovery Program.

• Guy Priano August 5, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Just saw this article was from 8/12.

Hope Dr. Hyman has seen Dr. Cousens work by now.

46. Kelly S August 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

I am post Gastric Sleeve weight loss/life saving surgery about 1 1/2 years now, 12-14- 11. I am now 52 years old, before the surgery I was at my heaviest weight ever, 353 lbs, to date I am down to 206!! . . . YAYYY ME!! Pre-surg, Type 2 Diabetic with OUT OF CONTROL blood sugars, pre-surg A1C–10.2!! WITH insulin and pills, high cholesterol, getting high blood pressure, aches, pains and limitations all around. Of COURSE, tried every diet out there throughout my lifetime. Weight watchers has always worked but I ended up gaining weight plus more back. Didn’t get enough good, consistent exercise . . . BLAH BLAH BLAH, excuse, excuse. Truth is I was just LAZY, depressed and UNmotivated. ANYWAYS, I took several years to decide on this surgery, did lots of research, talked to LOTS of people AND doctors. Once I went to the surgeon’s seminar and saw results of the sleeve thru a friend I knew that was the choice for me! Within ONE WEEK post-op I was OFF of the twice a day insulin shots and pills were indeed less as well.

Now, mind you, I’m somewhat of an expert at losing weight, keeping it off . . . hadn’t been too good up til now. BUT . . . i TRULY reached a point in my life where I just KNEW this surgery, or any type of weight loss surgery, is JUST ANOTHER TOOL to HELP me get to better health. To me, the weight loss, smaller size, etc., is just a PERC . . . better health is where I need to be. I want to be here for my future grandkids, to enjoy life with my husband and be able to LIVE life. When one is fat and trying to lose weight we often give ourselves “lip service” and THINK it is motivation. BUT, when you reach that certain point you are what I consider a FOOD ADDICT. We live our lives centered around food, food events, convenient food, TOO MUCH food! With ANY weight loss program/procedure you must commit yourself to
    it, without that commitment to better your health you will more than likely FAIL. And, sadly, failure for us food addicts just leads to staying wrapped in that vicious cycle of dangerous food addiction.

SO, the good news for me . . . 18 months post-op I’m still considered “new”, haha. At my 6th month mark my A1C went down to 6.9!! My Dr. dropped one Diabetes med, cut my cholesterol pill in HALF and also dropped the high blood pressure pill! I added EXERCISE on a regular basis: 2hours water aerobics and 2-3 hours in the gym with weights & treadmill EVERY week. MORE walking, EVERYWHERE because there is NO PAIN and I can breathe! Then at 1 year post-op lowered cholesterol meds even more, went from diabetes combo of MET/GLIP to JUST MET and dosage of that cut in half again!! Last labs A1C still GREAT– 6.4!! waiting for appt in October to get rid of the last of the METFORMIN & last cholesterol, fingers crossed!! My Dr. tells me that I will always be a “diabetic”, just not one who needs meds. I am comfortable with that, I look forward to that! In July 2012 we took a trip to San Francisco and I was able to WALK EVERYWHERE!! .. . it was AWESOME!! Life ALTERING for me, we planned things to do that ALL included walking through that beautiful city, something I’d never been able to do before. One trip to Disneyland I was SO FAT that I couldn’t get into the car at Space Mountain, one of my favorite rides. And I used to have to stop before the main entry just from the TRAM stop to REST my fat self . . . now, I can ride anything I want! & I’m able to WALK circles around the whole place!!

It is still HARD WORK after the weight loss surgery, it is not the “easy way out” that a LOT of people think. What it comes down to is what we SHOULD be doing all along to take care of ourselves and our health . . . good choices, exercise and OMG . . . PORTION CONTROL. That is THE NUMBER 1 thing that i’ve learned through this whole time, PORTION CONTROL is KEY in any weight loss endeavor. I tell this story that happened to me 15 days after my surgery. I was invited to a family Christmas gathering. My friend made a complete HUGE spread of her delicious homemade Mexican food, there was carne asada, empanadas, taquitos, beans, rice . . . EVERYTHING. To me, it smelled DELICIOUS, for about 30 seconds . . . then I could smell all the grease and I actually had NO appetite for the food. (Imagine my SURPRISE as a food addict . . . I did NOT want to eat this food!) I ate my little 1/4 cup of plain mashed potatoes & was perfectly happy. As I sat there watching people around me, I noticed their plates HEAPING OVER with piles of this delicious homemade food and I became NAUSEOUS! I seriously almost vomited right there! Because THAT would’ve been me with a plate just like theirs! . . . WOW!

Bottom line, the only “cure” for diabetes is CONTROL. Control of your blood sugars, control of your appetite, control of your exercise and the DESIRE to live a long healthful life as possible. There will ALWAYS be gimmicks, schemes and plans that give people false hope but there is no “quick fix”. One must take charge and become proactive to STAY on the road to better health. Good Luck everyone!!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 16, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work and congrats to you!!

In good health,
      The Nutrition Team

47. Janet August 5, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I cannot lose weight despite being on a diet of minimal carbs and calories. Only olive and coconut oil. Homemade bread with only nut flour, nut milk, sesame seeds and only one small piece per day. No sugars, no fruit, no sweet vegies. Only a small amount of stevia occasionally. Meats and seafood. I cannot digest legumes. No alcohol or caffeine. I have many metals in me, celiac disease, parasites, costridium difficile, rapid of transit of food (45 minutes) through the small intestine. I have autoimmune disease, allergies, fibromyaligia, arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, right frontal lobe damage and memory loss, fatigue, asthma, Hasimoto’s, dry eyes, yeast and bacteria overgrowth, hypochlorhydria (I take HCl and enzymes). Exercise and exertion send me in to tailspin of diarrhea, headache, dizziness, nausea, pain and fatigue. I am miserable with this weight on me. I am 60 lbs over my normal adult weight. I do walk my dogs weather permitting…2 miles with hills. I would love to do water exercise, but with the almost constant diarrhea, I don’t think it is wise. I have thought about surgery, but hate the thought of elective surgery. I am also extremely depressed. Who wouldn’t be?

48. Gina Rocca August 5, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

My husband and I had stayed on the Blood Sugar Solution program faithfully for 6 months, then we began to drift until we were no long losing about 2 months ago, just a month before our 1st year anniversary. Between us we lost over 70 pounds. We are in our 60s & 70s, so that is a good pace to lose we are told. Our doctor is very happy with us as our blood sugar has dropped from the 130-150 in AM to 100-120 in the AM. We are currently in the throes of buying a house (which has contributed to our losing momentum instead of pounds…too much eating out) but when we settle the purchase, we are back on board to be 100% on board. We were feeling marvelous, 20 years younger! Now we are tired all the time and aches and pains, less energy. Time to get out of the restaurants and back to good organic food and our exercise program!!! Thank you Dr. Hyman! Can you recommend a Functional doctor in the Skagit County area of Washington state?

49. ingeng69 August 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Sad, cannot get The Blood Sugar Solution books sent to Europe trough your web site and for that reason not the free gifts, informed your secretary

50. miki June 29, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

how to cure diabetes naturally
    Nopales Salad ,
    Many times you’ve heard that diabetes is a disease that has no cure.
    With natural remedies can cure diabetes with a good diet can cure diabetes perfectly without suffering any negative effect on health .
    There are plenty of home remedies that will help you fight against this disease , but perhaps the best natural remedy for diabetes is the cactus salad as a cure for diabetes
    The nopal is typical of Mexico and has magnificent properties that make it ideal for those suffering from diabetes…
    read here: http://how-tocurediabetesnaturally.blogspot.com/

51. detox July 8, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

Thanks for finally talking about >Cure for Diabetes Discovered – Dr.

Mark Hyman <Liked it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Curing Diabetes Via Surgery | Diabetes Reversed - August 7, 2014

[…] Cure for Diabetes Discovered – Dr. Mark Hyman – Recently, I attended a convention of the American Diabetes Association in New York City where the main booth heralded a breakthrough “cure” for diabetes…. […]

2. Diabetes Cure March 2012 | Diabetes Reversed - August 8, 2014