Recipes Galore…The Path to a Healthy Life

In my work as a functional medicine doctor I often have patients ask me how they will achieve their health goals with cravings for the foods they have always loved.  They say, “Doc, I trust your advice would help me if I could only live on food that tastes like cardboard, but I just don’t think I can do it.  I don’t have that kind of willpower.”  But what they don’t yet know is that eating well is actually more pleasurable than most of the junk food filling the shelves of our current grocery stores.

I love when I see patients return after a few weeks of implementing my suggestion to trade in their SAD diet (standard American diet) for an anti-inflammatory meal plan.  Undoubtedly the response is always the same: I didn’t know eating healthy food could not only taste good but feel so good.  The taste of good health lingers long in the body and looks good on all of us!

The next comment is usually about how excited they are to experiment with new foods but need to get out of a rut.  They need new recipes and diversity too.  I have provided several delicious recipes for you in previous blogs and I even have recipes on The Blood Sugar Solution website.

Of course, there are great recipes in my books as well.  If you have been following my work you know that I enjoy meals that are simple to prepare yet flavorful.  And apparently you do too!

I want each of you to achieve your goals and then sustain them for the rest of your life.  The best way to keep reaping success after you complete one of my programs is to maintain this whole foods lifestyle and stick with the principles of anti-inflammatory eating day in and day out.

I have wanted to make more of these recipes available to you so you have no difficulty doing this but I have been so busy and needed some help.

Then I thought, who has the best experience cooking tasty, fresh, real whole foods that are gluten and dairy-free?

YOU!

So I asked you to participate in our recipe contest to help me provide more of these recipes and this is what happened.

The recipes came pouring in. Being that this was the first time we held a contest like this we didn’t know what to expect.  You exceeded our wildest expectations and sent in over 240 recipes illustrating the vast amount of sheer culinary genius among you.

These recipes are incredible!  I found myself consumed with anticipation to get in the kitchen and start cooking up some of these meals.

What I enjoyed the most was your creativity, enthusiasm and understanding of how to prepare appetizing dishes within the scope of anti-inflammatory guidelines.

For example, are you curious to learn about a breakfast sausage that helped one of you shed over 90 pounds?  Or how to make a muffin without using an ounce of flour?

With the warmer weather approaching I was happy to learn about how to make strawberry ice cream without the cream! I had so much fun reading each and every single recipe that I often found myself with a big grin on my face.  I even laughed out loud and starting singing to myself when I read about your Simon and Garfunkel Chicken!

Who doesn’t love a good Pad Thai dish but wonders how the glycemic load of all those noodles and sweet sauce won’t affect insulin levels?  You surely showed us how.

Each recipe was as interesting and creative as the next and I am so excited to share your creations with you in an upcoming e-cookbook we are working on.  Stay tuned for details about that.

But back to our contest.  I’m sure you’re eager to learn about which recipe was the winner and I am about to share that news with you.  But first I want to tell you a little bit about the criteria I used to select the winners.

Yes, I said winners!  You all were so incredible that I had no choice but to choose two of your recipes.  I decided it would be helpful if there was a winning recipe for the Basic track participants and one for the Advanced track participants.

Spoiler alert! Next week I will share the winner for the Basic plan and I will provide the full recipe with nutrition facts for you.  But now, let’s discuss how I chose these winners.

When I think about what makes a recipe unique the 7 keys of UltraWellness come to mind.  I want a recipe to include ingredients and cooking methods that help your body improve your digestion, cool inflammation, optimize your nutrition, balance your hormones (especially insulin), boost your detoxification pathways , energize you and empower your metabolism and of course boost brain function.

Now I know this seems like a hard bill to fit but it is actually easier than it sounds.  This is what I look for:

1. Are the ingredients all whole foods and recognizable?  I don’t want to wonder what an ingredient is or where it is made… remember I like foods grown on a plant, not made in a plant.
  2. I look for recipes that do not call for refined or processed carbohydrates and I always stay away from any artificial sweeteners.  A good recipe doesn’t rely on sugar or salt to satisfy the palate.
  3. To fuel my long day I need to stay energized and prevent crashes in my blood sugar.  Lean sources of clean protein and healthy fats are critical in a successful recipe.
  4. Does it allow me to stick to a hypoallergenic diet with special attention towards eliminating gluten and dairy?  I also take interest in recipes that limit other potentially allergenic foods such as corn, soy, peanuts, eggs and yeast. These come in handy when I do the UltraSimple Diet Challenge.
  5. Like you, I love to eat and enjoy the entire process of meal preparation.  Choosing wonderfully smelling fresh herbs and colorful spices engages my sense of smell and sight and draws me into the act of cooking.  This is where life can become an art and the more fun I have, the better!  Research shows that when we enjoy being in the kitchen we improve our health not only by cooking high quality meals at home but also by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system, improving digestion and releasing stress.
  6. The health of our Earth is truly important to me. I know that when I choose ingredients and animal products that are sourced from organic producers that I’m voting with my dollar to protect nature.  The best part is, my ecology benefits too as food grown without toxic chemical input decreases my mortality.  Talk about sustainability!
  7. I’m pretty busy, so finding a recipe that is both easy to make and allows for leftovers is critical.  I know that packing a healthy lunch, snack or making a quick dinner is just as important to you too.

Choosing just one recipe was really difficult because many of you accomplished the aforementioned in your submissions.  But this recipe took the prize.  Drum roll please…

SPICED GROUND TURKEY WRAP WITH WATERCRESS AND AVOCADO

By Mona Solar

Spiced Ground Turkey Wrap

Serves: 1 (could serve 2 if used as a smaller meal or part of a meal which includes a small salad or soup)

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 20 minutes

A luscious, spicy ground turkey wrap makes a quick, savory lunch or dinner.

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium size carrot, julienned
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
  • few dashes cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
  • 5 ounces ground turkey
  • 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth *optional
  • 2 romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed (if making into wrap)
  • 1/4 avocado, mashed with a fork
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup watercress, rinsed

Preparation:

1. In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add garlic, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add the ground turkey, breaking it up into pieces with a spoon. Cook ground turkey until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
  4. Add 2 tablespoons of chicken or vegetable broth (optional) and cook for 1 minute.
  5. Reduce heat to medium-low and add fresh minced parsley. Remove cooked turkey mixture from heat.
  6. Spread a layer of mashed avocado onto romaine lettuce leaf. Add spinach, watercress, turkey mixture and roll.

Notes:

* The broth is optional. I use homemade broth in many of my dishes to aid digestion and to add another layer of incredible flavor.

Nutritional Analysis:

Serving Size (2 wraps): Calories 566, Fat 36 g, Sat 5 g., Cholesterol 70 mg, Fiber 9 g, Protein 40 g, Carbohydrates, 27 g, Sodium 314 mg

Serving Size (1 wrap): Calories 283, Fat 18 g, Sat 2.5 g., Cholesterol 35 mg, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 20 g, Carbohydrates, 13.5 g, Sodium 157 mg

Why I Chose Spiced Ground Turkey Wraps

• Gluten and dairy-free
  • Low glycemic load
  • Nutrient dense and full of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients which promote wellness in all 7 keys of UltraWellness
  • Lean protein
  • Healthy fats: 67% monounsaturated fat
  • Easy to prepare and allows for flexibility – not a rigid recipe so you can use any available spices
  • Adapt to vegetarian/vegan diet by swapping turkey for tempeh or beans
  • Celebrates our senses with bright colors, deep flavors, interesting smells, layers of texture (creamy, chewy, crunchy)
  • Able to have leftovers and use as a quick lunch the next day
  • A complete meal appropriate for both Basic and Advanced Plan participants

Congratulations to Mona and truly to all of you who participated!  I hope this inspires you to enjoy some time in your kitchen this weekend.  I know I will.  I’m heading out to my local farmers market today to gather some fresh ingredients to prepare this recipe for you!

Now I’d like to hear from you…

Will you try this recipe with me?

What would you do differently to personalize it for you or your family?

What other ideas for anti inflammatory meals come to mind-share?

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below.

74 Responses to Recipes Galore…The Path to a Healthy Life

1. Maureen May 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Will you share some of the other 240 recipes?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Stay tuned Maureen, they are coming!

• lori May 17, 2012 at 11:02 am #

Love the idea. Would love it even better if you would give the measurements for 4-6 servings as for a family to save time for how many people now sitting down to make the conversions. Even a single person could use multiple servings and freeze the leftovers. If all of your recipe measurements will be presented for single servings I think it could become frustrating for many.

• Lynn May 26, 2012 at 9:01 am #

The recipe is delicious. I made it this week!

I especially like that the recipe is given for a single serving. It’s easy to multiply up. If you are making 4 servings, add each of the amounts 4 times. No conversion required, just count as you add them to the bowl.

As a single person trying to eat smaller meals, cooking 4 servings and thinking I will freeze them all gets dangerous. It’s very tempting to eat too much!

• Nicole May 18, 2012 at 12:46 am #

Sounds delish, so as a non-meat eater I will try it with ground tofu and collard greens as the wraps. Thanks for sharing Dr. Hyman.

• Dr. Akoury June 7, 2012 at 11:32 am #

These recipes look and sound great! Here at AWAREmed in Myrtle Beach SC we believe in eating healthy and overall wellness as well. Check out some of these great recipes as well —

Dr.Akoury and staff would like to thank Dr. Hyman for his wellness advocacy as we share many of the same views.

2. Elaine Cogbill May 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

The recipe sounds awesome and I am so excited about getting GOOD HEALTHY REIPES to make..this is just what I needed to get started on eating GOOD..Thanks so much…

3. Elizabeth Rampton May 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Dear Dr Hyman,

Thank you for your inspirational newletters & books inspiring us all to become healthy, energetic, slim fabulous people.

The e recipe book sounds great, but there is a problem here if you have multiple food intolerances to cope with apart from the usual wheat, dairy etc. as you mention above. If for example you have 24 other foods to omit for at least three
    months this can become very difficult after a while. In fact I would go on to say it can become quite “depressing”
    after several weeks & very often the person is starting the program when they are underpar or unwell. Perhaps there is a way of adapting a “computer program” whereby you put in the foods you are permitted to eat & it works a bespoke set of recipes for you ? If only….

Best Regards
    Elizabeth Rampton

• Diane May 26, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Elizabeth, although this may not produce the type of recipes from Dr. Hyman’s website, it may give you something to go off of. allrecipes.com has the ability to search by ingredients you want included or want excluded. Under the search box at the top center of the home page it says ingredients in small orange print. Click on that and you will get boxes to fill in. Like I said, the recipes are from viewers and may not all be as healthy as Dr. Hyman’s but you may be able to find something as a starting point and tweak it a little to your liking. Good luck and God bless you in your endeavors. Don’t get discouraged. I know someone who just went through the allergy diet and it was for longer than three months. He ate meat and vegies. That’s pretty much it. It was kinda boring but he lost weight and felt good. Try to think of the positives instead of the negatives. This is a means to an end…so you can feel better. I pray you will find what works and be encouraged by this. :)

4. Mary Spears May 12, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

This sounds wonderful. Will you be providing any of the runners-up??

5. Natalya May 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Great recipe, but why is it so high in calories?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Natayla,

Thank you for the feedback. You can trim the calories by eating (1) wrap with a side salad or broth-based soup. Also it is helpful to think about focusing more on quality of ingredients than counting calories. Keep this in mind when selecting what foods to eat.

6. kristy May 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Where are all the OTHER recipes? I would like to see and try all of them. This one looks great so I am sure many others do too.

When I click on any of the recipe links this is all I see. I want to see all the recipes.

Deb G May 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I agree!

• Gerald Ritter May 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Just what I was thinking. Why limit the availability of the other great recipes?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 16, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for your feedback. Hang tight- the other recipes will be available shortly!

7. Camille LoParrino May 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Congratulations, Mona! All your ingredients sound wonderful and on target for healthy living. I would like to try it out. I have one question though. You mentioned the calculation for wraps under the nutritional info, yet I did not see it under the ingredients. I am wondering what type and size are you referring to in this recipe?

• Dana May 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

I would like to have seen a Plant based recipe instead.

• Colleen B., L.E. May 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

the romaine lettuce is used for the wrap

• Helena May 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

The romaine leaf is the wrap!

• Anita Chiquita May 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

she uses romaine lettuce as the wraps.

8. Michael May 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Publish all the recipes to help people find things to eat that they will enjoy. My wife is diabetic and complains (rightly so) that a lot of the recipes are tasteless. Give people ample choices of things to eat so they can make good dietary choices using tasty options.
    We like your site but most of the world can’t afford a paid membership because they haven’t been able to find work. It doesn’t mean they don’t want to be healthy. Many are busy full time just trying to survive and keep the family alive with aroof over their head. Many that read your site don’t have even that.
    Thank you.

9. Mike Carl May 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Looks like a cookbook has been born!

10. Donna Christian May 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Sounds delicious! Will get the ingredients on grocery shopping day.

11. keith May 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Yeah, I’m sure it tastes fab, and is obviously “green” eating. But too
    many ingredients (even tho lots of them are dashes of spices). Keep
    it simpler, Dr Hyman. I prepare almost all my meals from scratch, so
    usually spend extra minutes to deliver diversity/complexity of taste without
    alot of salt, sugar, or artificial concoctions. But the time factor is an
    important consideration. Blessings and good eating to all …. keith

12. Pam May 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Go to recipes on the right, then to the drop down selection on the right. Choose recipes and you will get 31 to choose from!

13. Laurie Fuda May 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Sounds yummy….however, two tablespoons of olive oil (yes, I know it’s good for you, but…) seems a bit excessive. I would probably cut it down to one tablespoon and increase the avocado to 1/2. Not sure about the comparison of fat grams, but I’m pretty sure 1/4 avocado does not have 14 gm of fat. I like the fact that when I eat avocado, I feel full for a long time and they taste great. Will have to give this a try. To Camille-the “wrap” is a romaine lettuce leaf, not a corn or flour tortilla.

14. Kristofer Young, DC May 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Great delicious work!
    I, too, look forward to seeing the rest of the recipes!
    Assuming you create an online cookbook for all of us, I will have to submit a cactus recipe.
    In health,
    Dr. Young

15. Helene Gelber-Lehman May 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Please let us have these recipes with calorie and carb count, Thanks, HGL

16. Debbie Platt May 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

I can’t wait to make this recipe. Congrats! Can’t wait for all the other recipe’s also. So please hurry and make the
    e-cookbook available.

17. Linda May 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

I, too, will be waiting with bated breath for the remaining 200+ recipes to appear. Maybe in a free ebook we can download? Those of us who are working hard to eat right need all the help we can get! :)

18. Valerie Engelson May 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

I am a vegetarian and I would swap out the ground turkey and use beans instead; perhaps canellini or fava because they are a “meatier” bean.

19. Caren Hersey May 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Congrats Mona and great Idea Dr. H. I can’t wait to see the rest of the recipes. As a mom of two young children and a whole food enthusiast I’m happy to see this yummy recipe. It is very similar to a recipe that we make and love.

Instead of stuffing romaine I use the turkey to stuff steamed cabbage leaves. We often add currants or raisins, and pine nuts for some additional color and crunch. This is a family favorite and my 12 yr old son really loves it! The other night I blanched some cauliflower (tossed it with cumin) and chopped it up in to very small pieces and mixed that into the ground turkey. I often have lots of cabbage left after stuffing the larger leaves. The smaller unused leaves get chopped very small and also added to the turkey. Veggies, veggies & more veggies. The possibilities are endless!
    Thank you!

20. Virginia Stuart May 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

sounds really good, will have to try that one. Look forward to seeing more.

21. Susan May 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

This recipe was truly delicious. I added black olives and basil and left out the water cress (only because I didn’t have any – I’m sure the peppery taste would have been great.)

22. Margot May 13, 2012 at 3:34 am #

Being not very fond of cooking, this looks like a recipe I will definitely try and probably make a favourite.
    I disliking having all kind of herbs in the house from which I use one teaspoon for a recipe and never again. Mona uses herbs you use on a regular basis.
    Also, most often it takes too much time when I’m hungry and tired and just want to eat so usually I’ll toss a huge salad with some avocado’s, maybe some tuna and/or olives, or whatever I can find. However, this is something I can make any odd time, so I’ll have something nice prepared when the time comes that I’m hungry and tired and just want to eat :-)

23. Bonnie Pickhardt May 13, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Mona’s recipe is super! Great choice, Doctor. My mouth is watering at the thought of the fragrant ginger and garlic.

I am at a bit of a loss, as so many of my recipes include cheese (love those opiates). But I can share a recipe for a minimal preparation casserole for a warm day:

1 3-cup size can of Bush Vegetarian Baked Beans. Pour the beans and all of the sugar syrup into a good-sized mixing bowl.
    Add 1 #10 (standard size) can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed to remove salt.
    Add 1 #10 (standard size) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed to remove salt.
    Then add 2 Tablespoons Powdered Mustard. Mix well.
    At this point you must taste, to determine whether you need more powdered mustard, or possibly another can of beans, if the casserole seems too sweet. You could use an additional can of drained and rinsed garbanzo, kidney or green beans.

This casserole is good with a green salad, or leftover steamed vegetables.

24. Richard OBrien May 13, 2012 at 7:11 am #

What type of wrap do you use?

25. Julie May 13, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Where can I get the recipe for a muffin without one ounce of flour that Dr Hyman talked about in article above? Thanks!!

26. MarqueseG May 13, 2012 at 8:53 am #

I also would like to have the rest of the recipes. I do not care if nutritional content is included as that is a fair amount of work, but increasing my repetoire of anti-inflammatory recipes would be wonderful as I only like so many of the ones in the cookbook and other books.

27. Holly Eckert May 13, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Dr. Hyman’s website once again encourages those of us who live with chronic illness inside a very dysfunctional healthcare system. He reminds us that there are individual doctors who still practice medicine with integrity. I’d like to share how transformative my own rennaissance with diet was to finding a healing path. When I began having epileptic seizures 10 years ago not a single doctor talked to me about dietary issues. However two years into the confusing nightmare, I took the initiative and reorganized my diet. I threw out ALL junk food, and made a commitment to myself and my family to cook a full, sit-down dinner every night. My recipe box and books grew as I expanded my repertoire of recipes. We ate Thai food, Indian curries, Mexican stews, and good ole American pea soups and herb chickens. What is so great about this transformation is that is not only feeds our bodies at dinner time, it always feeds us the next day for lunch. In addition, it feeds our minds by offering us good, sit-down time every day to commune with one another. Very soon after this, I began growing my own food in our yard garden. Soon I was cooking pumpkin soups, parsnip muffins, and kale lasagnas. My health improved dramatically as my body’s balance point became more stable decreasing my need to seize. As an active citizen, one of the greatest protests I’ve ever participated in against corporate power in the USA is simply growing and making my own food. So, eat, drink, and be merry and you might just outlive all these power hungry fools in public office. I tell my story in my book called SEIZED being published soon. Look for it.

• Vicki Saxton May 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

I would like to see the other recipies. I have your book but have already gone thru everything and want to keep eating and cooking like this.

28. Donovan Giraud May 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

sounds good! I might add a small scoup of beans to up the carbs. I need more food than that!

Here’s a recipe I invented one night:

Tomato-Walnut-Tofu soup

take zero-sugar tomato sauce, put in sauce-pan. Add cubed firm tofu. Add walnuts. Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add dash
    of cinnamon, (and cayenne if you want). Serve and eat!

Good for cool fall nights.
    enjoy!
    Donovan

29. Christa Morrison May 14, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Will there be a site or book with the other recipes published? I LOVE getting new recipe ideas. I am allergic to wheat, corn, soy and peanuts so pretty much if it comes in a box I can’t eat it. (not that I would want to) SO finding new recipes and meal ideas is always like hitting the jackpot!

30. michele May 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I made a variation of this tonight for dinner and was pleased. I didn’t have watercress or parsley so I chopped up the spinach and added it after I removed from the heat and it was barely wilted. My husband and kids ate it as tacos (baby steps) and I had it as a salad. The family gave me the ‘ok’ to go ahead and make it again sometime :)

31. CaFe May 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

I just want to thank Dr. Hyman for all his work (for us). I am really enjoying all this wonderful food. And I’m losing weight. This is my 36th day with the advanced program and I have lost 15 pounds. I have a long way to go… so I am excited to learn that there will be e-recipes to come!!!

Visit me at goodfoodbuzz.com so we can share our success as we lose weight and get healthy!

32. Avatar of CaFe
    CaFe May 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

Oh thank you again, Dr Hyman. I was so excited to read that I’ll be able to find more recipes! I have enjoyed the recipes from your book Blood Sugar Solution and also from The UltraMetabolism Cookbook and I have lost 15 pounds. Today is my 36th day following the advanced program with the BSS.

Visit my blog at
    goodfoodbuzz.com

33. Chyan May 15, 2012 at 3:22 am #

I have just joined this site. I love the recipe and yes, I will try it. I found a diabesity diet in a Women’s World magazine, and I was intriqued with what it said. I have type 2 diabetes for 9 years now, and the only meds I can toterate is insulin to manage my sugar, but not that successful. I thought if this diet could really eliminate my blood sugar problems, it would be worth it to try and find out. I been on this diet a week now, I am amazed at the blood sugar readings. I am also amazed at my over all good emotional feeling, it been amazing, that I have been following it and creating my own recipes, as well. I like being creatative. I am a very large lady, and I didn’t get that way without having a love affair with food and sugar and carbs. So for me to feel satisfied, full and great was something I wasn’t expecting. I haven’t purchased his book, but I do have some questions, where do I go to get answers concerning the diet? Chyan

34. LIsa May 15, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I too want all the other recipes or at least a good portion of them. I need more cooking ideas!

35. Dixie Reinhardt May 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

I too would love to see more recipes. Here’s one that I love (because I don’t generally like vegetables, I have to get very creative?)

1 Head cauliflower
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup toasted Pignolas (pine nuts)
    Scallions
    Cinnamon
    1/4 cup coconut
    1/4 cup thin sliced carrots
    Sesame oil
    Pump-style oil sprayer

Steam the cauliflower, and cut into small bite size pieces. Set aside in bowl. Dry roast the pignolas in a frying pan by shaking constantly over a medium flame. As they turn light brown, remove from pan and let cool. These can be kept in the refigerator for weeks. Saute scallions and carrots in small amount of oil, then add raisins and cauliflower to re-heat. Spray a little more oil over the mixture as its reheating to evenly but lightly coat the mixture. Remove and mix with coconut and cinnamon. Top with toasted pignolas.

You won’t believe this is a vegetable dish!!

36. Sushant May 16, 2012 at 2:37 am #

anything for vegan people…………. please!

37. Patrick Sahlgren May 19, 2012 at 11:58 am #

How did you guys like the “Vegetable Kale Stew” Submitted by my wife Sue?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff May 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Wonderful! We look forward to the community enjoying it soon as well. Stay tuned for it to be released in the cookbook.

38. Avatar of Jesriel
    Jesriel May 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I just made these for dinner. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

39. Anne June 2, 2012 at 9:40 am #

I have one I love. Cooked cauliflower with raw honeydew melon. I think mango would work too. I find vegetables much more appealing by mixing them with fruit.

40. Jackie June 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Dr. Hyman- I just finished your book. I’m on day 4 of no processed foods or caffeine, etc…never in my life have I not had a craving yet in the past 4 days not one. Sure, a headache from caffeine withdrawal but not one craving to eat bread, etc. I can’t believe how fulfilled I feel. I printed a ton of your recipes as my guided..I know it’s only day 4 but I can’t believe how stable I feel. I’m a full blown carb junkie and I cannot believe I don’t even want it. Your recipes are amazing. Thank you for giving me the inspiration.

41. Jenn June 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

Is it just me or were you dicing the carrots and not julienning them? LOL
    Great recipe and AMAZING backsplash. I thought we weren’t supposed to cook with EVOO?
    What an amazing guy! thanks doc

42. Pam July 9, 2012 at 12:58 am #

I am going to try this to try and get rid if my gut but I refuse to totally give up my chocolate forever.

43. Alberta Knudtsen July 24, 2012 at 7:30 am #

I can’t believe how good that looked! I haven’t found turkey yet here in Chiang Mai, Thailand (just moved here in March)! I will try this with chicken – just have to have it after watching Dr Hyman make it! I could almost smell it! I love eating for health and am learning to do it here! So many great real foods in the markets here!

44. Avatar of dawndi
    dawndi August 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

This tasted delicious and my whole family (even kids!) liked it. It smells amazing while it’s cooking.

45. Rozann August 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

It sounds great, but I read in Consumer Reports about the large amounts of fecal matter they found in ground turkey, even in organic ground turkey. The germs cook out, but toxins remain. I’m not sure I could ever eat ground turkey again.

46. Rozann August 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

And can’t you guys read or listen? He said he’s going to make a book with the other recipes.

47. Renie August 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

It would be helpful for Dr Hyman to start making inroads on targeting stores that make food for us to be healthier. It is a reality here in the US that many of us are working long hours with long commutes. It is demanded from Corporate America after cutting many thousands of jobs and layering several people’s work on one person now. It is the norm. I crave to eat healthier but literally don’t have the time. It is shocking how few options there are in stores to buy healthy food. The typical salads are loaded with mayo, soups are loaded with salt etc. And much of it tastes awful. I am fortunate in having a local farm – Whitegate Farm in Old Lyme that has hired a chef to create healthy salads. They are fabulous and healthy. Problem is they sell out so unless you get to the farm within an hour of them opening, no luck. It is a reality for many of us that we have to “outsource” our food prep.

48. Ilse Wenzel August 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

I like short recipes because I really don’t have the patience of following a recipe with 10-20 ingredients and also I prefer recipes with items readily available
    Thank you. Love your book

49. Roberta Mershon August 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

This is helping me to stay on my road to good health. I love to cook and appreciate these tips and recipes. Please tell me what kind of cookware, cutting boards and utensils are best to keep the healthy foods safe as we prepare and cook them. would really appreciate it. I do understand good cutlery is a must and have invested in it. Thanks for all you are doing in your proactive practice of functional medicine. You give so much for free! If we will just listen and read the books you have provided and then implement……..we WILL have improved health and great cuisine to boot!! ( I am a work in progress; you made It possible!)

50. Avatar of Vina
    Vina August 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

I really hate chicken,(any form of poultry) admitting part of my hate is psychological from having seen them prepared from the yard….but is it alright to substitute fish…is pork a complete no-no when fish would not be suitable?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 14, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Dear Vina,

Yes, of course you can make substitutions so that the recipes work for you. Fish is most preferable.

For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s virtual nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.
      In Good Health,