Enjoy Healthy Dining – Surviving Restaurants

Eating outside the home comes at a high price.  We spend our hard-earned dollars upfront only to pay more at a later date due to hidden healthcare costs not seen on the menu!

Temptations from the food industry are addictive such as salty, sugary, high-calorie, nutrient-poor foods that negatively affect our health and take years off of our lives.  Real food is medicine – healing your body with every bite.

Ingredients that are not meant to be consumed either in moderate quantities, or at all, are lurking in generous amounts in restaurant meals.  Owners of restaurants want to see you satisfied and return frequently which drives motivation to include these unnecessary and harmful ingredients.

From hydrogenated oils, poor-quality fats, sweeteners, and hydrolyzed proteins to preservatives, additives, and bulking agents, there is a lot to beware of!

I travel a lot and have become a connoisseur at scoping out the good from the bad.  I have spent years on the road promoting health through smart nutrition and have learned a lot.  Unfortunately, my experiences have shown me mostly about what not to eat.

As a leader in functional medicine, a parent, and a concerned consumer, I want to know what it is I can eat.  Sometimes you need to eat out and want choices you can feel good about! While I recommend you avoid doing so as best as you can, the following can make seemingly impossible decisions about what and where to eat easier for you.

Surviving Restaurants

Does all that fancy marketing and shiny advertising restaurants use to manipulate your emotions make you lose your willpower or wonder if you ever had any to begin with?  If you feel like you lose control and get distracted from your healthy meal plan when you face a commercial, billboard or even a sign outside a restaurant you are not alone nor are you crazy!

The human brain is wired to be drawn to salty, sugary, and fatty foods – it is part of our survival. But luckily we don’t have to worry about famine, so the reality is we do not require these rich, high- calorie, and nutrient-poor meals.

In fact, those pictures of decadent cuisine are really false advertising. You’re promised luxury when in fact, eating junk food delivers you nothing but empty nutrition which leaves your body starving for real food.

While the restaurant industry wants our business, we do have the power to choose where we spend our food dollars.  This is how to succeed the next time you are in a position to eat out:

1. Choice.  The more options you have, the better.  Competition is a good thing when it comes to selecting a good restaurant.  Look for an area that is bustling with a variety of choices for where you can eat.
  2. Quality menu.  Don’t be afraid to ask to see a menu before you agree to sit down.  Don’t be fooled by buzzwords such as “organic” which are used to get your attention.  Remember, the ingredients are what matters – a candy bar can be organic but sugar will not reverse diabesity!  Scan the menu and look for keywords such as fresh, local, seasonal, organic, grass-fed and others referenced in the The Blood Sugar Solution.
  3. Go online before you stand in line.  Most restaurants have their menus posted on their website.  Choose a restaurant that allows you to plan ahead of time by checking out their menu at home or at the office.
  4. Slow food.  These restaurants appreciate that you deserve high-quality food and provide flavorful meals that satisfy you from the inside out.  Slow food is a celebration of life presented through food.
  5. Is your restaurant sensitive?  Not about your feelings, necessarily, although that would be nice!  Look for eateries that tolerate and cater to food sensitivities such as gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, and yeast.   At the very least, inquire how flexible the chef is about modifying meals.
  6. Travel the globe.  Ethnic cuisine tends to have those phytochemicals that are so important for health and for curing diabesity.

How to Order at a Restaurant

• Be obnoxious!  Be clear about your needs and do not accept any food that does not nourish or support you.  Do not assume you are being impolite; you are simply taking care of yourself.
  • Have an opinion. Choose the restaurant, if possible, when dining with others.
  • Tell the server you do not want bread on the table nor the alcohol menu. But do ask for raw cut-up veggies without dip.
  • Ask for water. Drink 1-2 glasses before your meal to reduce your appetite.
  • Tell the server you will die if you have gluten or dairy.  Not a lie – just a slow death.
  • Ask for simple food preparation.  Order grilled fish with an entire plate of steamed vegetables drizzled with olive oil and lemon.  Always ask for olive oil and lemon in lieu of dressing.
  • Skip the starches.  Ask for double vegetables.
  • Avoid sauces, dressings, and dips. They are usually laden with hidden sugars, unhealthy oils, gluten, and dairy.
  • Honor responsible portion sizes.  Always combine a carbohydrate with some fiber, protein, or anti-inflammatory fats. Never carb it alone!
  • Focus on protein. Choosing your protein first is really helpful to ensure your blood sugar will be balanced and you will eat the right portion size.
  • Ask for berries for dessert.

Are you afraid of overdoing it when you eat out?  Nobody likes to feel uncomfortably stuffed so it is important to remember how much control you actually have (even though restaurants don’t want you to think so)!

By avoiding some of the triggers listed above you are already doing so much for yourself.  One other tip I want to share with you is the philosophy of the Okinawans in Japan  – hari hachi bu“Eat until you are 8 parts (out of 10) full”. By tuning into your hunger sensation you can listen for the cue your body sends to put the fork down at the exact moment appropriate for your body.

By eating until you are no longer hungry (not stuffed), you can empower your digestion to work with your metabolism to keep your hormones in balance and your waistline in sight! Each meal is an opportunity to bring health to your life and, luckily, we get many opportunities daily to help reach our goals.

Celebrate your life with the food you eat.   I wish you happy, healthy, and confident eating – Bon Appétit!

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below – but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

61 Responses to Enjoy Healthy Dining – Surviving Restaurants

1. tanya January 27, 2013 at 8:31 am #

I really appreciate this article. I am always the ‘picky’ one if eating out. I am always making issue about where and what to eat. My children hate eating out with me because they are embarrassed by my demands for healthy eating. I rarely eat out because of the quality of food served in restaurants. I have gone to business meetings and family functions in restaurant and brought my own food. I will call the restaurant in advance to ask for organic food (which they dont have) and then let them know my food needs will require me to bring my own. That always works.

the attitudes of people in the community are pretty bad about this as one of the biggest social values is to be liked and part of that is to “go along to get along.” But what does my taking care of myself have to do with them!

I am reminded of the issue of smoking about 40 yrs ago–wow, is it that long already. As a smoker trying to quit there wa virutally no support.in the same way as there is o little public support for eating well. Lip service is given aplenty, but when push comes to shove, the support is not there because someone might be noticed and that is just too socially gauche!

So this article, while seeming simple is really very important. Thanks for writing it.

2. Dianne Ferri January 27, 2013 at 8:35 am #

What do you think about yogurt? I thought it was good for you? And when we eat are we looking at how many carbs or how much sugar there is- in addition to everything else you mentioned? Thankyou Dianne from Nh – Beta tester

3. Katherine Keenan January 27, 2013 at 8:43 am #

Your restaurant guidelines make for very dull dining. Could be very unsatisfying.

• Kirsti Mangino September 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

See Dr. McDougall’s website for suggestions as to what to order in all types of restaurants and little or no oil added. His wife was a nurse, now his originator of all vegan tasty recipes. When they eat in a new restaurant they get new ideas of how to prepare an item.

• anne pierce November 24, 2013 at 11:07 am #

not true! whole unadulterated foods cooked properly are the best! no digestive problems after the meal as a bonus!

4. Beatrice Hair January 27, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I loved your book and really appreciate your articles. Keep up the good work!

5. Maxine January 27, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Great suggestions as always. I am beginning to think that I need to carry my own oil and vinegar for salads. Far too often the balsamic is watered down and awful and the olive oil foul. Maybe small bottles of each in my purse.

• afi January 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

You can buy a very small pliable plastic container specially made for dressing, at The Container Store. I’ve got one and it’s very useful. It’s so small you that you can fill it with dressing of your choice and tuck it in your bag.

• Penny January 28, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I save small glass jars to put my own homemade dressing in–I stash the jar in my purse and use the dressing at the restaurant for any dressing or dip need! It has really helped!

6. Marilyn White January 27, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Whenever I order a baked potato with my fish, I order it nude. It’s just as good and I feel better afterwards.
    Am I kidding myself?

7. Carla January 27, 2013 at 10:07 am #

What about the fats? I ask waiters about the butter and cream – which is in nearly everything and I don’t want it! My kids do think I’m obnoxious as I explain and re-explain so the waiter understands and confirms what I say. Currently I’m following a fat-free-vegan plan, which does include starches in their pure form (no butter and oil). Asian restaurants are often the purest when it comes to low fat, veggies and some brown rice.

8. Lisa January 27, 2013 at 10:17 am #

Thank you for the very good dining survival tips! If we become more mindful of our choices and follow those few simple steps on how to order in a restaurant, then we can create the health we desire! With baby steps we can change behaviors and reach our goals.

9. beth January 27, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Wonderful points, but I cringe when I see “be obnoxious!”. Asking for what you want, and making sure they can accomodate is one thing, but I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been dining with or near people who make those around them uptight (which doesn’t lead to good digestion) by demanding they get what they want from the wait staff and the chef. Like you said, check the menu beforehand and check Yelp and other sites. We can’t change restaurants by making a scene, you’ll come off looking the the jerk, and things move along as always. And you never know what happens to your food in the kitchen… We have the ability to ask for what we want, talk to the manager if their ingredients are sub par, send food back, don’t eat anything, and go to town with your on line reviews.

10. Sheryl January 27, 2013 at 10:27 am #

If I know the restaurant serves large portions, I often tell them to go ahead and box up 1/2 of my entree at the time I place the order. It really helps keep me from over eating, plus I have the other 1/2 to eat the next day.

11. Karyn Hoener January 27, 2013 at 10:31 am #

A lot of people my age -55-65 have been told to reduce sodium. When the restaurants are asked to do low sodium, they just leave out the salt and don’t put any herbs or spices in to give the dishes some flavor. You end up with an expensive, bland, and tasteless dish.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this practice?

12. Perri January 27, 2013 at 10:31 am #

I take my own gluten-free low sodium organic soy sauce–hibachi chefs have always been willing to use it while cooking instead of their own. Of course I can watch, given that the cooking is done in front of me. I don’t wake up with stiffness and swollen feet and still get to eat out on occasion!

13. Carlos Leite January 27, 2013 at 10:44 am #

The best places to eat are the salad bars and buffets where you can actually see what’s available and make better choices, usually they have tons of salad greens and veggies. Living in NYC can be a great advantage with tons of restaurants to choose from, and those fancy supermarkets have a better selection available in their salad bars and they are a lot cheaper then restaurants. Good Eatings.

14. fumi January 27, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Always enjoy and benefit from your articles. Just want to mention that the Japanese saying is: Hara Hachi Bu and not HARI hachi bu. Being part Japanese I know that saying well. It is used throughout Japan. HARA mean tummy by the way. Infinite Gratitude. May Peace Prevail On Earth

15. Kate January 27, 2013 at 11:04 am #

I was told a few months ago by my doctor to limit sodium to 1500 mg a day as well as limiting sugar and fat. Most restaurants I find cannot serve me a 500 mg dish, as many of the meats are preseasoned with salt. I have just learned I cannot depend on restaurants to serve me most of the time. This is interesting to me, because for years I would meet up with friends at various restaurants. Most restaurants do not have nutrition facts available. And those that do have these do not necessarily adhere to them in every dish.

The funny thing is that following these guidelines, less salt, sugar and fat, have caused me to lose weight at 1-2 pounds a week! I think my previous restaurant dining, 7 meals a week, was fattening me up!

16. David January 27, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Great article, as always. I am fortunate to live in Sedona Arizona where there is a local restaurant which is 100% organic, vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free, and processed sugar-free. They have their own garden where much of the herbs used in food preparation are made and are big proponents of slow food and local, seasonal organic. This is probably the healthiest restaurant in America! And the food tastes amazing! There should be a ChocolaTree restaurant in every community. At least then consumers would have a choice.

17. Anna January 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

When we go to San Diego we love eating at the small restaurant chain that Dr. Andrew Weil collaborates on, True Food Kitchen. It is a lovely, spacious place that has delicious anti-inflammatory, nutritious food and they happily accommodate requests! First time I had whipped coconut cream, yum. Also in Tuscon, AZ and Santa Monica, CA.

• beth January 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

The True Food cookbook is amazing! I hope there will soon be more restaurants like this across the U.S.. Until then, the one way to really know what you’re getting, and to truly have a clean, healthy meal is to prepare your own. If you don’t like to cook, keep it simple.

• Candace Krause January 27, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks for the suggestion–heading to SanDiego the end of Feb for a seminar. Will look up the True Food Kitchen for sure!

• Stephanie Robbins February 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Candace. I saw your post about San Diego. True Food Kitchen is actually in Orange County :( But the good news is we have tons of great options in San Diego (where I live). There is Kia’s which offers local organic with an amazing view. There is Swami’s for breakfast and lunch. Don’t forget to go to the meditation garden across the street from there., Most beautiful place in San Diego. We have a little chain called Naked Cafe. There is Tin Leaf which is ‘fast’ healthy organic food. And latly Stone Brewery which is local organic while sitting in an amazing garden. OK enough bragging. Can you tell how much I love where I live? It sure makes going out to eat easier. There are so many more outside of this list but these are my top favs. You will have no issues eating well here!

• Carol February 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Just want to clarify, there is a True Food Kitchen in San Diego and you can find it in Mission Valley at the Fashion Valley Mall. Enjoy!

• diane vulcan January 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

awesome place!

18. Holly Eckert January 27, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Twelve years ago facing a serious chronic illness, I had to make some big changes in my life or my life was going to end quickly. I was 33 years old. As an artist, I had reflected on Americans’ excessive, paniced eating and the toll it took on our body/minds, but in the flurry of my own post-modern, over-stimulated life, I participated in the practices of “grabbing a bite to eat” and “eating on the run”. My reasoning, “how bad could the egg mcmuffin really be?” Facing the hard choices of illness, I realized I could either slowly kill myself with poisonous pharmaceuticals, or take a hard look at my habits and reorganize my life. I chose the the later. I mandated that in our home, we all ate breakfast! This means you sit down with a bowl of oatmeal (the real kind) or some fried eggs with toast, or maybe a little peanut butter toast, and eat a good breakfast. The second rule I mandated was the “dinner meal”. This meant that I made the time in my life to cook a nutrious dinner every night, and that my husband and I sat down every night at the dinner table and ate together. It seemed like an enormous project and a pain in the ass at first, but over time, not only did I learn to cook well, this time at the table both nourished our bodies and minds. It became one of the most sacred times of our days. My health improved enormously. Soon, we were gardening and raising our own food. We saved a lot of money on food bills and always had great leftovers for lunches. Yes, it takes time to make food, but that time not only satisfies your whole body/mind in its living, it increases your time here on earth. Take back you time for the fundamentals, eat home cooked meals made from whole foods.

19. Mary January 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Thank you!

20. Healthy person January 27, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Have you heard of LYFE kitchen ? The food is great and it is health conscious. You can google it they are available in many stores and they have restaurant too

21. Profile photo of Gay Gooen
    Gay Gooen January 27, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

Dear Mark:

Thank you so much for this blog. Of course, the advice is excellent (as usual). I know that my work as a health coach is to help spread the doctrine as you’ve outlined it above. We’ve really done ourselves in by falling for the marketing hype most restaurants and fast food joints push at us.

I appreciate what you’ve written, and value your opinions. You have done much to nurture the world, including teaching others how to live a longer and healthier life. I have almost completed your Beta 10 day detox program. It is outstanding, with many immediate benefits and even more longer-term benefits.

My personal thanks and the thank you from the generations to come who will live healthier because their mothers and fathers ate well and cared for their health and wellness.

Sincerely,

Gay N. Gooen, MSW, CHC

22. Carol January 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Good suggestions Holly! I too have overcome two bouts of nasty drugs and radiation by taking stock of what I eat. Now… if we could just get large chemical companies worldwide to stop using their deadly mixtures to fertilize our food supplies and kill our soil, we could effect the return to food that nourishes and builds strong bodies again… for everyone.

23. Jill K. January 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

There are a few health-oriented e-newsletters that I subscribe to, but none are as pleasantly presented as yours. They have no hype, no bait and switch, but just direct, helpful information. And sometimes, your emotional and personal growth, which I find moving. Over time I will phase out the others but will continue to subscribe to yours. Thanks for being so real!

24. I agree with almost everything you recommend!

25. joan esclamado January 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I am gluten free and dairy free and going out to restaurants is so hard! I have a hard time being obnoxious but I do find
    that good restaurants do try and accommodate as fat as gluten free goes. It is hard for me to ask that they leave off sauces, especially because I am afraid what the dish will taste like without the sauce! I have a very favorite vegan restaurant which is delicious and has many items that are gluten free. When you find a restaurant that really cares about the ingredients, you feel like you have hope in your life!!!

• Katrina Rubin February 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I understand I have Celiac and am always so grateful when I come across a restraunt I can trust and offers choices for me.

26. Susan January 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Take a to-go container with you and pack up part of your meal. Makes a great supper or lunch later and you feel so much more comfortable not trying to stuff it all in so it does not go to waste.

27. Dr. Betty Gaw January 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

A great reminder, Dr. Hyman, for us restaurant diners.
    I usually ask the chef if MSG is used, or is the Salmon farmed or Wild caught. No more Tilapia fish for me, since they are all farmed and contaminated. No point spending money and time eating out but getting poisoned. For water, I request filtered water with a wedge of Lemon/Lime, or hot green tea. Since most portions are too large for one sitting, I bring home the extra portions/calories for another day.
    When I cook, I use Coconut oil and Extra virgin Olive oil, or Sesame oil.
    No doubt good health comes from knowledge and wisdom to make the right choices!

28. Liam Rubel January 28, 2013 at 7:01 am #

Sometimes going with preparations are worthy than without preparation. After all food should be healthy and tasty when you are going for outside dinner planning.

29. Elizabeth January 28, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I live in Portland, OR, foodie heaven. And there are very few restaurants I can go to. I find a huge amount of sugar in every dish!

30. JEV January 28, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Had an amazing meal at Six Main in Chester CT. They are mostly vegetarian and the food is exceptional! I am grain-free so that can be a challenge in a vegetarian restaurant, yet they took such care in not only making grain-free options for me, they made them delicious! Just love local, organic, whole foods – it is an adventure for the taste-buds!

31. Jim January 28, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Dr. Hyman: I noticed that for salads you mentioned olive oil and lemon juice, but not olive oil and vinegar. Is that just a personal preference or is there a reason for that?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff March 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Hi Jim,

Lemon juice is a potent antioxidant which is part of the anti-inflammatory diet Dr Hyman hopes you will enjoy.

32. Kathleen Baillie January 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

I just want you to know I have been on your plan of eating since Nov.27th.2012

and as of Jan.24th. I have lost 23lbs. I am so happy,

I went to our Dr. for annual checkup, and blood work, all came back normal and in good range.

Dr. was happy, so was my husband and family.

I am 75 yr. old, so it is very hard. but I have done it. my goal for now, at first is to loose 50 lbs.

I am well on my way.

I just have to get my blood pressure down, so I so not have to take the pills. But that will come in time.

I only look at one day at a time. I am thanking the Lord Jesus for his help.

We pray and ask the Lord for help each day.

Thank you for your help also, I do enjoy the recepies. thank you. Kathleen Baillie

33. Carrie Hegenderfer January 29, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Favorite line in this article: “Tell the server you will die if you have gluten or dairy. Not a lie – just a slow death.” I actually LOLed.

I have been avoiding restaurants like the plague (and movie theatres too because I have a weakness for movie theatre popcorn) and have been eating five meals a day at home. I am loving it and focusing on vegetables, nuts, fruits, healthy fats (avocados, coconut milk, EVOO, ghee), eggs, vegan protein, and seafood. It takes a lot of planning and prepping but in the end I have stopped feeling guilty about what I’m eating! As long as I eat nutrient dense meals with a protein source every 2-3 hours I’m great!

34. Madonn February 1, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I hate eating out simply because the choices are so unhealthy. My friends all think I’m weird when dining out because I’m always the last one to make my choice. Plus I always try to opt out of going to those places. I can never decide simply because I know what the ingredients are. I love making my own food at home and know how good it is. Sometimes we have no choice when we are travelling, we have to pretty much make the healtiest choice. All foods served out to me just feel so void and non fulfilling for my body.

35. Sarah February 1, 2013 at 6:27 am #

To Kathleen B-Good for you!

Great article–I find I just don’t go out much at all because there is so little I can eat, and I can control what I eat at home. I am a Type 1 diabetic, so I’ve been handling this for a long time (32 years), but only in the past 8 years have taken ahold of my own destiny.I think the best advice you gave for me is to order a protein and double steamed veggies-I would be happy and full with that. Thank you for what you do!!

36. Julie February 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

I eat well at home, homemade foods that are enabling me to manage my GERD without medication. We eat out a couple of times per month: I ask questions, order carefully, don’t eat too much, and don’t stress about the rest.

37. ruth liz February 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Thank you Doc. you are so generous. Most restaurants offer salads, so I don’t have any problem; I just ask for a salad, one lemon, and the bottle of olive oil if they have it.

38. Katrina Rubin February 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Loved your response to eating gluten or diary I have celiac and often want to say that because I have had to many bad experiences with cross cotamination. My husband and a very few friends though seem to think I’m being over dramatic if I speak up and say this even nicely.

39. Holly Eckert February 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

It’s time not only to make our own food but to grow our own food. Having started gardening a few years ago, I discovered how easy it really is. Its “difficulties” are simply a part of the mythology of the food market meant to make us believe that we need mass food markets. We don’t. All it takes to grow some vegetables is a bag of seeds and some good soil. Nature does all the rest. You put the seeds in the ground, water them and weed them occassionally. Soon you have a huge crop of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, kale and the list goes on. Urban farming is a possibility. Add some chickens to your yard and you’ve got a very wholesome diet. A few years ago I decided that I better learn how to can some of my crops considering the size of my harvests. I expected the process to be very complicated and time consuming. It was absolutely no big deal! All canning requires is lids and heat. You fill your cans with clean vegies, put the lids on and boil them allowing the heat to create a vacuum seal. It’s basic physics. Last year my cabbage harvest was big so I decided to make my own sauerkraut. Again, I assumed it would be a complicated process. It was as simple as going for a walk. Nature handles everything! You put the cabbage in a bowl with a little water and salt and just let time work its wonders. That’s all it takes, time. This process makes delicious sauerkraut that we enjoy throughout the rest of the year. I can it. It’s time we reclaim food from the food industry and get back to self-reliance. We’ll be healthier and happier. Right now we live in a country of fat people all starving to death. If they ate good food, they wouldn’t be hungry and need the sugar coated donut.

40. Jenel Weldon February 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Thank you for this article on dining out. I really needed this reminder. Last February I found out that I am diabetic and I started with the medicines and battled to get my blood sugar down. It was frustrating for months and with not much success. One day I saw your series on PBS about the Blood Sugar Solution. I began to cry because I found the answer to my problem. I took notes on what you were saying and I got your book and began my journey to better health. I have lost almost 40 pounds and my blood sugar reached a range of 85-108. But since December I began dining out on a very regular basis, although I chose healthier foods, like fish, broccoli and salads. I started to gain some weight (8 lbs.) back and my sugar is in the 120’s. So thank you for the reminder to get back on track and take back my health!
    Thank you so much for all that you are doing to help people! This way of healthy eating and exercise really does work!

41. Andrene February 28, 2013 at 2:51 am #

What do you know of using foot baths to detox? Not sure what’s put into the water for drawing out heavy metals…

42. Andrene February 28, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Btw, I really enjoyed reading your article

43. Nancy Zundel September 3, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

I have a theory which is, God made everything that is good! However it’s man’s greed for monetary gain and conveniences, that prompts him to try to improve on God’s creations. How does man do this? He does so by genetically modifying God’s creations and trying to make food substitutes such as nutra-sweet. I believe many of these have contributed to the current epidemic levels of cancer, obesity, and diabetes.
    Fewer manufactured items and more locally grown organic foods is the answer. Whether dinner is served at home or served at a restaurant, I firmly believe we have to go back to the basics for more healthy eating habits.
    PS As a full-time working, single parent, I enjoy picking up prepared foods more than anyone. I’m definitely caught in that trap. However, I wish we could count on the food growers and preparers to adopt more healthy standards.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff September 5, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Dear Nancy,

We appreciate your honesty and enthusiasm. We also know how hard it is to balance daily work and life tasks with our commitments to health. If you want to get involved and need some creative ideas, please go here: http://www.takebackourhealth.org/

In good health,
      The Nutrition Team

44. Andre Kettell November 24, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Thank you so much! Perfect timing. I didn’t want to go to olive garden because i knew i couldn’t handle the temptation. You affirmed my choice to speak up and suggest something that was more reasonable. Thanks for the affirmation

45. Crystal November 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

One of the worst feelings is having to go out to lunch/dinner where your not able to choose (meetings or with family/friends/dates) or in my area where i live does not have other alternatives. My whole perception of food is just like Mr.Hyman’s. I think holistically and eat to nourish. The only thing i do dining out is try to order fish (only if it’s NOT farmed) or salad (that is GMO) with dressing on the side. However, i still do feel guilty eating GMO’s. Sometimes i bring my own natural sweetner for my coffee (xylitol or pure maple syrup). What i am tired of is people telling me my eating habits are abnormal and i need to live a little. I know to myself i feel best when i eat right and organic and i have programmed in my mind that foods that contain corn syrup, sugar, bad oils, hormones, aspartame, pesticides ect… is not even an option or appealing even though some people drool over it. It’s not about the taste but the quality of the food and what it does to your body. At the end of the day… it’s about how you feel and your health so i don’t pay attention if people think it’s rude or offensive if i deny eating their foods. (culturally as well many do take it offensively). Thank you for this article!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The “Ultra Simple” collection by Dr. Mark Hyman | 30 Days To Venus - June 14, 2014

[…] For instance, you can read about how diet soda makes us fat and how to survive restaurants and eating healthy while dining out. […]

2. Ultra wellness with Dr. Mark Hyman | 30 Days To Venus - June 15, 2014