The One Diet That Can Cure Most Disease: Part II

What if you could cure all your health problems and lose 10 pounds in just 7 days?

That’s an amazing claim, hard to believe for sure, but I have seen this miracle so many times in my practice (and now from all the people who have posted on my website who followed my ideas) that even I am starting to believe it!

My true goal is to help people feel better. Period.

Because I once was seriously ill with chronic fatigue syndrome, I know what it’s like to wake up every morning feeling like you can’t go on or to have a thousand and one other minor complaints that lower your capacity to enjoy life.

Now, of course, with more serious illness, it may take more than one week to find the cause and the cure (although by using the systems of UltraWellness and functional medicine, it is possible for so many millions with chronic illness to get better over time).

Functional medicine is medicine by cause not symptom. The ONLY way to truly heal chronic disease and address weight problems and disease is to get to the ROOT of the problem, to find the cause, and then get rid of it and help the body heal.

And two of the major factors that make people sick and fat are being toxic and being inflamed.

So, the secret of the 7 days is to very quickly stop the things that make you toxic and inflamed (sugar, caffeine, alcohol, junk food, processed foods, etc.) and do things that help you detoxify and cool off inflammation (eat whole real foods, stop all potential food allergens, clean out your bowels, deeply relax, and more).

That’s when miracles can occur.

The scientific research supporting the role of inflammation and toxins in illness is overwhelming, but most doctors don’t know how to help their patients deal with it.

Think of it as an experiment and try to prove it to yourself. Don’t believe me.

I was trained in conventional medicine, practiced it for 10 years, and helped many people using the tools I was trained in—namely, medications and surgery.

While I worked in the emergency room, those tools worked amazingly well, bringing people back from the brink of death and relieving suffering.

But I realized that I wasn’t helping the tens and tens of millions of Americans (125 million to be exact) who suffer from some type of chronic illness. And that doesn’t include the millions who just don’t feel well.

In fact, I now believe that most people walk around just accepting feeling mediocre—tired, achy, brain fog, memory problems, depression, headaches, congestion, allergies, digestive problems, joint pains, PMS, skin problems—things that may not even be a disease, yet rob them of the possibility of feeling great.

Who can say they are fully alive, full of energy, and able to greet the day with joy and enthusiasm?

How many of us can really do that?

Well, I know this is possible for most people. And the sad thing is that most people don’t know why they feel less than fully alive and healthy and don’t connect it to their behavior or habits.

The key to creating health is figuring out the cause of the problem and then providing the right conditions for the body and soul to thrive.

It isn’t taking another medication!

Over the last 20 years of practicing at Canyon Ranch, founding The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA, and working with dozens of other leaders in the emerging field of functional and systems medicine, I have found the few simple things that make the most difference for the most people.

That is why I write the books I write. But I was overwhelmed by how the lives of people who never even saw me as a patient were changed. Here is an email someone sent to me after trying the simple things I recommend for getting to the root of weight and health problems.

Through reading and following the eating plan in your book, I have discovered I am gluten intolerant. Six weeks after starting your plan, I had lost not only 13 pounds but also, the all-over bloated feeling, excess gas, stomach discomfort, and thickening around the middle that I was experiencing. The puffiness and dark circles under my eyes are gone, and I am no longer depressed.

I feel terrific, which is my motivation for staying with the plan (including 45 to 60 minutes a day of strength training and yoga). I have read the comments of others, and like many of them, I no longer enjoy foods that are bad for me and crave the foods that are good for me.

Unfortunately, feeling terrific is not enough motivation for some people. And I am amazed and even saddened that there are so many other people out there with a defeatist attitude. Many of my friends told me the discomforts I was experiencing were a normal part of aging and that I needed to learn to accept it.

Wow, were they ever wrong!! Your book has shown me caring for my physical self is essential, especially as I age. I am 48, and thanks to your book, I am not getting older, I’m getting better, and growing old gracefully is not an option but a cop out.

THANK YOU!!!!

PS. The only thing I am missing now is conversing with someone I can relate to.

When I read these stories, I realized that I could offer what I have been giving to my patients one on one to help them feel great very quickly and lose weight immediately without compromising my true goal of helping people get to the root of their health and weight problems.

And it occurred to me that what I do for nearly every patient who comes to see me is to give them a chance to see just how sick they have been and how powerful making a few simple changes can be in just one week.

Once they see by directly feeling how their food choices and their behaviors make them sick—and they experience a taste of UltraWellness—then, they are empowered to make changes that can help them feel great and lose weight for the long term.

The most important things to address at the outset for weight loss and creating UltraWellness are inflammation and toxicity. These are among the two most important causes of chronic disease and obesity.

So, I put together a simple program called The UltraSimple Diet Challenge, including all the tricks and tools I have used successfully with thousands of patients for so many years.

In one short week, I teach them how to detoxify and to cool off chronic inflammation.

That is The UltraSimple Diet.

I asked many of you in my online community to try it and give me feedback. I was overwhelmed by the response. We had thousands respond but could only accept about 150 into the testing.

Even though I know what I recommend is effective, I was very surprised by the power of the program in people who I had never even met or for whom I created a customized plan. It had dramatic effects.

We had 131 people complete the program. We asked people to track their medical symptoms—things like headaches, fatigue, digestive problems, congestion, joint pain, depression, and more.

In just one week, they had an average of 51.15% reduction in their symptoms. And they lost an average of 5.53 pounds (and many lost over 10lbs) and lost an average of 1.37 inches from their waist and 0.94 inches from their hips!

To me, the weight loss is nice, but it’s not the main objective (it’s a nice side effect and happens automatically if you deal with the underlying roots or causes of illness).

The real benefit is the possibility of experiencing UltraWellness, a state of deep and true health and vitality. And it happens so quickly. You don’t need to believe me—just try it for one week.  Join me for a webinar on May 29 to learn about how you can join The UltraSimple Diet Challenge that starts in just a few short weeks. It’s only seven days—anyone can do it!

And tell your friends. Pass this along.

I believe that if enough people really get to experience the difference in their health created by one week on The UltraSimple Diet Challenge, it will change them forever. It could create a cultural shift that may be able to fight the overwhelming power of the food and pharmaceutical industry, which controls our health.

Empower yourself, transform healthcare!

To read Part I of this two-part blog please click  here .

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below—but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

41 Responses to The One Diet That Can Cure Most Disease: Part II

1. Sujata Naik May 26, 2013 at 12:03 am #

I am seeing a functional medicine doctor for last 9 months. I am gluten free, dairy free, no soy ,eggs, sugar, tea, coffee for more than a year. I have Hashimotos thyroiditis for which I take compounded thyroid medicine with only t3 and t4. My thyroid readings are under control. After very detail blood work and stool analysis she put me on lots of supplements and antifungal medicine and antibiotics. I am a vegetarian from India so do it lots of vegetables, fruits, brown rice. 99% fresh home cooked food. I still am gaining weight. I have lots of joint pain. Swollen ankles, hurting knees. I am on the verge of depression due to my health. I cannot afford to keep on seeing my functional medicine doctor also it is hard to justify spending money when I have not seen any improvement in my health and well being. For me it is hard to believe what you are saying is going to help me as I am already doing most of the things without any results. I have all your books and I am doing all the things that you have said but no results!!

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Hello Sujata,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. We cannot answer medical questions in a responsible manner over the internet, all we can do is direct you our blogs and community for assistance. Please see to drhyman.com. You are also welcome to speak to out staff if you wish at The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637-9991.

• Michelle June 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm #

I am having the same problem! :(

• Jason September 22, 2014 at 7:13 am #

Hello. With swollen ankles, unless you have a liver issue or heart issue or are hypoproteinaemic, or indeed a renal issue(or pregnant!), you must be still hypothyroid. Its probably a good idea to adjust the thyroid dose by how you feel and symptoms rather than the level. Great thyroid doctors do
      that. x

2. Dina May 26, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Shalom Dr. Hyman,

I signed up for the webinar on May 29, but because I live in Israel, I won’t get it till 3 a.m. (8 p.m. by you). Will it be available to listen to in recording, if I can’t be up at 3 a.m. to listen to it?

Thanks,
    Dina

3. selma kolke May 26, 2013 at 7:33 am #

I have a back issue which gives me lots of pain down my leg and I can’t walk very
    far. Will this help me?

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Hello Selma,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. We can’t say if this will help you or not. Let us know if you give it a try and what your results are!

• Beth @ Hooked on Health September 1, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

Selma,
      If you haven’t already, you need to find a reputable chiropractor for your back issue.

4. Zorina May 26, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Finally, the Webinar date is MAY 29th [not March 27th – I had asked twice before for confirmation.

I am hypothyroid and have doubled my weight! If this method can bring me back to base it would be a miracle indeed.

Hope to have the book delivered in my region.

Keep up the good work!

5. Pedro Joaquin Diaz, MD May 26, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Dear Dr. Hyman: I am 63 years old, man who started to practice medicine in Cuba since 1974. I came to USA in 1993, I passed the USMLE and became MD with full licence of medicine in 2001 in Florida. I had my private practice until two years ago that I took a full time position as Team physician for VITAS Hospice.
    I has BPH with 3 biopsis done that were reported as negative of cancer. My left hemibody looks like smaller than the right since I growth and my left lower extremity is shorter that the right with doble scoliosis lumbo sacral. I am suffering of abdominal discomfort left side, gastroesophageal reflux with hiatal hernia and intractable neuropathic pain on left iliac sacral joint. I obtain some comfort with lyrica and clonozepam at bed time, but also I am taking protonic for GERD, Losartan and bisoprolol for blood pressure, magnesium for arthritis, fenofibrate and crestor for hyperlipoproteinemia and frequently advil or acetaminophen to try to keep as alleviate as possible to continue my job (home visits for palliative/hospice patients). I would like to receive your diet recommendations. Thank you in advance for your time. Dr. Diaz.

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Hello Dr. Diaz,

We cannot offer medical advice over the internet. If you would like information on becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center, please see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637-9991.

• Beth @ Hooked on Health September 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

Please, please please go paleo it will reverse all the conditions that you mention. I personally reversed fibromyalgia and joint pain by this lifestyle.

6. Darcy May 26, 2013 at 7:50 am #

I love how dedicated you are to helping everyone heal and live life with vitality! I am just graduating from IIN as a Health Coach and am so excited to become a part of this awesome movement to help people become truly healthy and live life to the fullest. Part of this healing is my own. About 5 1/2 years ago I started to get sick – severely gi sick and lost a lot of weight. This turned into en eating disorder which I am now trying to heal from. I believe that stress and poor nutrition along with mercury poisoning from the amalgam in my teeth causes inflammation and toxicity in my body and then my body freaked out! I would love to be a part of the UltraSimple Diet Challenge to heal my body, but it scares me due to how I used to get sick when I would eat. I also have Oral Allergy Syndrome which adds a twist to what raw food I can eat. I think this is great challenge and I would love to hear more and see if I can set my fear aside and truly heal. Thank you for all that you do in helping people heal.

• Shannon Roure December 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Darcy
      I was wondering if you tried this diet and whether it worked? I have a similar story to yours where I developed SIBO as a result of antibiotics and I have also just been tested for Mercury poisoning. After a year of struggling I am now anorexic and afraid of food. I have tried the SCD diet but my body isn’t satisfied and the extensive amount of cooking is difficult being a mom of three and working full time. I hope you can give me your update so I can see if this is something to check into.
      Thanks!

7. Benedetta Del Sorbo May 26, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Does the Ultra Simple Diet lead always to weight loss?
    Is it possible to detox without shedding weight?

• T-Bear May 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

My experience, having unofficially participated in a similar plan back in February, resulted in no weight loss, but did positively impact many of the measurable markers of health. My primary care physician stated that she was jealous…

• Laurie Moore May 30, 2013 at 11:10 am #

You can easily tailor the diet so you don’t lose weight – add in more healthy fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, and good oils (flax, olive, etc.). This diet has changed my life. Increasing the amounts of organic proteins (good chicken, beans, etc) will also up the calorie intake. good luck!

8. Karly May 26, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Thank you, cannot wait for the webinar. I have not been to Dr in two years due to just pill pushing! I have said for years if they don’t find the cause, there is no cure. Also, for each drug there is a side effect that requires yet another drug. I had just given up on the medical profession. Looking forward to a bit of Functional Medicine. Let’s spread THAT around!

9. lu weiss May 26, 2013 at 11:24 am #

is it still possible to do the diet with very low stomach acid taking hcl?

10. Cheryl May 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Dear Dr Hyman,

Last September I began feeling even more stiff and tired than usual..and feeling a very tight IT Band in my hip.. I went for a massage, thinking that would help, and my massage therapist of many years, said, Cheryl, you have inflammation in all your joints..! That night, I iced my hip and later couldnt get up without excruciating pain.. Well, long story short, I was in bed for a week, screaming in pain, and wondering if this was going to be my new reality…during this time, my Dr. Recommended I read Wheatbelly,.. which I did, and then found all your work,,and read the Ultramind solution..(first).. Well, I changed my way of thinking about food, and have been eating a non-gluten, non dairy,, and no-sugar diet since then.. I have lost almost 3 dress sizes, and am running 5km runs, doing yoga, going on my bike, and I feel great!! Thank you so much, as your work and all the support you provide has really helped me get my life back!! :)

11. Gloria Blackburn May 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

How can just changing diet help with a rare disease? The neurologist has thought I had MS for the last 9 years and it has been very stable. Now all of a sudden I am in bad shape and the blood test confirmed that I have a rare disease called Devic’s Disease. It really has me down and I see no hope. I am not over weight and never have been. I have always been very active. Now I feel like my life is over. I am on Medicare and do not have extra money for any alternative medicines. At this point, I don’t feel like there is any help or hope for me.

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Hi Gloria,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Our blogs offer suggestions for you to try and hopefully they help you to feel better. Get involved in our inline community, see drhyman.com. Stay strong, there is a lot of support out there for you.

12. Susan Sharp May 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I bought the book and read it -Great! I am looking forward to healing and getting off the blood pressure meds and losing the belly fat. I can hardly wait.

13. ELEANOR LASER May 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Dear Mark I adhere to your concepts and further them in my work. I add to your work through my work in that I can help people get at the real cause of their eating issues. The bottom line, Is revealed via conflict resolution then they can coast into a new pattern and better health My hypnotic technique
    The Sweet Tooth Extraction has proven to be a miracle. I wish you would refer me clients .
    Best wishes
    Elly Laser PH.D

Wishing you continued success

I

14. suzy short May 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

great article as usual!…i found myself nodding my head in agreement all the way through….i nodded especially hard while reading your patient’s testimonial, especially at her postscript – ‘The only thing I am missing now is conversing with someone I can relate to’.,…i, too, felt extremely isolated as i healed….while i’ve come to expect and accept that as part of this journey, she vividly reminded me how we crave connection as we discover the benefits….how badly we want to share them….if she reads this comment, she’ll know she’s found a kindred spirit with me….

15. Ed Harvey May 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

what book are we talking about. I will be on the Ultra Simple Diet Challenge. Do I need the book before this ? Thanks !

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

Hi Ed,

The UltraSimple Diet.

16. Marg May 26, 2013 at 6:25 pm #

I am one of your fans – I really love what you are doing and am grateful to have found you, a like minded person. My suggestions to my clients is to forget the labeling of the foods and stick with the foods that don’t have labels, foods like real food, whole food, and wholesome food. When we eat what we are meant to eat and not all that plastic rubbish, we can be who we need to be, to do what we need to do so we can have what we want. Too many people are happy to be at effect and the secondary gain is massive – how sad to think that so many people feel the need to make themselves so miserable and unhappy just to get attention when they could be more resourceful, eat like a king and rule the world. Congratulations, you are the greatest and I look forward to reading your book about the sugar which I have ordered and awaiting delivery.
    Have a wonderful day.

17. Carolyn Trousdale May 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

I’ve had your book for a long while. Read it. Was not disciplined. Tried other PLANs with similiar emphasis…..but ever so ofter your name came back up, or I’d see you on PBS, or your book would “pop” out of the shelf……..so, I think I’m going to seriously try you again since you have been around in my mind for a long time and I’ve seen you on TV (you have lost some serious weight). Thank you for your work. And I will let you know how I do.

18. Caroline Bazin May 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

I have recently been diagnosed with “highly most likely MS”. I have lost almost 20 lbs; I’m a skeleton ;(
    Can I go on this diet and gain weight as well as heal my body again?!

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Hello Caroline,

Please work with your physician as you are under doctor’s care. Show him or her the book and get their opinion on what is best.

19. Hari May 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

I was shocked when my PCP of last 10 years , announced that I need to take insulin shots. I am under her care for last 10 years, she was always there for me for any problem I faced in those years. Se is an Excellent Physician.

After meeting her, When I drove home, I decided I need to go back to Ayurveda the ancient Indian medicine. I was lost did not know what to do . I was guided by someone to visit your website, and I did ! I did not pay you anything, there was so much of advice freely available I just started following those….

My A1C dropped from 7.8 to 6.1 following what you guide FREE !!. I did not pay you anything, I felt bad ..I saw your new Book Blood solution Diet ..I owed you i went ahead and bought it ..just a token of thanks to a man Who loves healing not Fixing. I Owe you for giving my life back to me… Probably My PCP will learn her roots and understand Medicine is about healing not fixing.

I will thank you in my own way and guide as many people as I can to visit your website so You can make difference in their life. Please Keep doing what you are.. We need Healers like Sushruta and Charaka – Masters of ayurveda and Connolly research

You are a great healer !!

20. Virginia Hession May 28, 2013 at 12:28 am #

I want to join Dr Hyman for his webinar on May 29 but I live in Australia.
    How can I acccess the information considering the time differences?
    Can the information be accesses in the written word?

21. Marie May 28, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

My head is starting to spin – help! I got the Ultrametabolism and Blood Sugar Solution books, but now in reading the blog and the website I see there is the Ultra Simple Diet as well? Which one is the best? I can see similarities across the diets but I’m not sure where to start.

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff May 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Hi Marie,

The books all address different issues, one is not better than another. Take a look at the descriptions from this link: http://store.drhyman.com/ to find the book that best fits your needs.

22. Stephen in Alabama May 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm #

Hey, thanks for sharing such an interesting two part post! Look, I won’t lie and say that I have the best diet. Actually, I could probably make some changes to eat a bit better. However, I did have a particular thought when I first read the title of this post. It made me think about the paleo diet or otherwise called the caveman diet. It has become really popular nowadays, and I have read a number of posts where people with chronic illnesses have adopted this diet to their apparent benefit. One of the most important aspects of this diet are eliminating processed and other foods that come from less than healthy sources.

23. Malou June 15, 2013 at 3:37 am #

Shedding pounds/Losing weight is never an easy task that’s why ultimate fat burner help by providing sensible information about losing weight.

24. homehealthplanet October 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

It’s nice post. if you want to lose weight, sweating is a good way.

25. muriel schnierow January 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

i moved into a “retirement”building where i found a continuation of the verbal abuse that invaded my life 25 years ago. the reason for the abuse is obscure
    but seems to involve my familiy ,inlaws, and a few of their friends. the building has mold and poor food. i am on a probiotic, am cooking in my apartment and eating vegetables, fruits ,mostly organic, and a small amount
    of tofu, leanmeats, and when i stay away from the people and eat this way
    i feel almost normal .now we are having a nutritionist speak to us tonight
    which is my influence. You are so right. Factor in stress. and watch for candida. Muriel