This week, I present to you a delicious autumn inspired side dish. This recipe from my friend Amie Valpone from The Healthy Apple is equal parts gorgeous and tasty, and it’s filled with plenty of phytonutrients and healthy fats. Enjoy! Click here for the PDF version.
Butternut Squash & Apple Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups finely chopped Swiss chard
- 2 cups finely chopped flat (dinosaur) kale
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 small apple, cored and diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 3 tablespoons raw walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Remove and discard the seeds. Drizzle with the coconut oil, sea salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
Remove the squash from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes, then peel the squash, discard the skin and cut the flesh into 1-inch cubes. Place the cubes in a large bowl. Add the Swiss chard, kale, cabbage, apple, cucumber, walnuts, cilantro and scallion.
In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice and tahini until it creates a creamy dressing consistency. Drizzle this dressing over the squash and kale mixture. Garnish with the hemp seeds and orange zest. Season with sea salt and pepper, as needed and serve warm.
Nutritional analysis per serving
calories 281 • fat 16 g • saturated fat 8 g • cholesterol 0 mg • fiber 10 g • protein 7 g • carbohydrate 34 g • sodium 190 mg