An Introduction to UltraWellness

MOST PEOPLE DON’T KNOW how poorly they feel until they feel better. In fact, most of us don’t recognize fatigue, digestive problems, aches and pains, allergies, headaches, and more aren’t just annoying symptoms. They are early clues to impending diseases that can disable and kill us.

Most heart disease starts in the womb. You can detect brain changes in teenagers that can predict the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Blood tests in children can predict who will develop diabetes later in life. Most cancers take more than 30 years to grow to the size where they can be detected.

How can we address problems we don’t even know we have?

There is an answer. It lies in the revolution that is happening in medicine today. That revolution is called functional medicine. I call it UltraWellness, and that is what you are going to learn about today.

How I Found the Real Cure for Chronic Illness

One in three Americans has some type of chronic disease — and most of the rest of us are headed toward one. Most of us don’t feel as well as we should or could if only we understood how to care for and feed our bodies the way they were designed.

Conventional medicine helps at the very end stages of disease. If you are very sick, have an emergency, break a bone or have a raging infection, then, yes, conventional acute care medicine is the right solution. As a former emergency room doctor and the husband of an orthopedic surgeon, I am glad we have this care when we need it.

But when I worked in the emergency room, I felt I was saving people just before (or sometimes after) they were washed downstream and over the waterfall to their death.

I began to wonder what led them to this point — what happened upstream in the process of disease and illness. What were the real causes of disease? If I could answer that question, then I thought I might be able to help prevent disease in the first place.

‘I didn’t know how bad I was feeling until I started feeling better.’ That is what my patients tell me every day.

The early influences on my thinking–from Asian philosophy, to nutritional biochemistry, to the study of ecology and ecosystems–all helped me form a new and different view of health and disease.

I am one doctor who is part of a movement on the cutting edge of an entire shift in our scientific model of disease. It is called systems medicine, or functional medicine.

It provides a way of understanding all the influences on our biology that are at the root of illness and how our lifestyle and environment interact with our genes to create the imbalances or balances that are the real determinants of disease or health.

This medical view does not reduce symptoms and diseases to their component parts and traditional specialties, but studies the entire ecology of the body and its environment.

I have practiced this model for over 15 years and seen miracle after miracle, day after day. People don’t only get relief from symptoms, they get truly well. That is why I have called this approach to health UltraWellness.

It is the answer to the crisis we find ourselves in — an increasing epidemic of chronic disease and an impending economic collapse as more of our resources are put toward caring for the chronically ill.

Today, medicine is in a serious predicament. The way we understand health and disease no longer reflects biological reality or the biological laws of nature. We need to understand diseases are not fixed things you catch or that just show up out of context, but are related to the environment, your diet, genes, and lifestyle.

We need to understand the body is an ecosystem and is a part of a larger ecosystem. Understanding how all the parts relate and what disturbs our ecological balance is more important than naming the disease, blaming the name for the problem, and thinking a drug will fix the disease.

I call this the “naming and blaming” game.

For example, depression doesn’t just show up without cause or reason. It is related to a web of forces we can influence and affect.

What systems medicine, functional medicine, and UltraWellness are about is “thinking and linking.” That means seeing all the patterns and relationships that make sense of your whole story — your lifestyle, stresses, genes, environment and how they interact with your biology to create imbalances that lead to disease.

Our current way of thinking is outdated, wrong, and will not help us address our declining health as individuals or as a society.

That’s why we are making no progress and even backsliding when it comes to addressing chronic disease.

Let’s look at the data.

Chronic diseases affect 133 million Americans. That means in the average family of three, at least one person has a chronic disease. We are seeing an epidemic of autoimmune (24 million Americans), allergic (50 million Americans), and asthmatic (30 million Americans) diseases in this country. In addition, 20 percent of Americans (about 60 million people) have irritable bowel syndrome.

In fact, the rates of nearly every modern disease–autoimmune diseases, allergic diseases, digestive problems, heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, and dementia–are increasing. One in three children born today will have type 2 diabetes. One in two people over age 85 will develop dementia.

These problems are increasing in the population at a dramatic rate. And they affect everyone, either personally or through the suffering of someone close to them.

But it doesn’t have to be this way. We have all the information we need right now to end or greatly reduce the suffering of so many. The answer lies within the 7 Keys to UltraWellness.

I know this, because I watch miracles happen every day …

The Promise of UltraWellness

Every day in my office, I see patients who feel alive again after expecting to suffer their whole lives from chronic problems like bad digestion, headaches, fatigue, arthritis, allergies, hormonal problems, obesity, heart disease, and depression.

But within a few months–even weeks–their lives open up again. This week alone, I spoke to a 27-year-old woman who could not lose weight and was constantly tired. She finally lost 20 pounds effortlessly by getting treating her mercury toxicity.

And there was the 78-year-old woman who felt she was on her way out with symptoms of fatigue, memory loss, joint pains, and bad digestion. She now works out every day and is full of energy, simply by treating her nutritional deficiencies and getting back in balance.

And the 30-year-old woman with PMS, migraines, stomach aches, acne, and polycystic ovarian syndrome who is completely better after getting her system back in balance.

And the 47-year-old woman with chronic sinus infections and fatigue who hasn’t had a problem all winter.

And that was just part of one day!

The reality is most of us don’t know how bad we feel until we start feeling better. We accept chronic symptoms as a necessary part of life. That is just not necessary. We have solutions today you are not hearing about.

I have learned so much in the last 20 years of seeing patients, studying the scientific literature, combining my knowledge and observations with other doctors who are also practicing systems and Functional Medicine, and applying it in my practice. And I am committed to sharing that information with you because it works.

It is not perfect, nor can it address 100 percent of health problems 100 percent of the time, but it is a better mousetrap!

This is the promise of UltraWellness–the opportunity to cure or dramatically improve chronic problems that are poorly addressed by conventional medicine, and to discover vital, vibrant good health at any age.

There are 7 fundamental new principles or concepts that help me navigate to the underlying causes of disease and that will help you achieve UltraWellness.

These concepts are my new roadmap in the landscape of health and disease and I will share them with you so you can take advantage of them today.

This is the future of medicine now. It will help you transform your health, and will contribute to the transformation of our “sick care” system to a health-care system!

Often when I explain this to people for the first time they remark on how simple and obvious this seems. Why didn’t anyone explain it like that before?

First, we must understand how everything in our environment interacts with our genes to create health or disease, especially our diet and nutritional status. Air, water, microorganisms, exercise, trauma, psychosocial factors, environmental toxins and radiation also affect our genes and our health.

Second, we must understand how our hormones and brain chemistry influence nearly every aspect of our health, why they get out of balance, and how to get them back in balance.

Third, we must understand how most of us have smoldering hidden inflammation that will kill us until we learn how to control it.

Fourth, we must understand our digestive system is at the core of our health, why it breaks down, and how to repair it.

Fifth, we must understand how toxins and problems with our detoxification or waste management systems lead to chronic health problems and how to optimize this detoxification system.

Sixth, we must understand the importance of energy–how we make it, why we lose it, and how to create more of it.

And finally, we must understand how the mind interacts with the body and how the body interacts with the mind to influence and affect each of our other systems.

Understand that these are really not all separate systems. They are part of a web of function and physiology that is at the root of both health and disease.

This revolutionary new way of thinking about health and disease will guide you toward something many people have given up on, experiencing–UltraWellness.

That’s very true.

And it reminds me of T.H. Huxley’s reaction to the reading of Darwin’s The Origin of Species: “How extremely stupid not to have thought of that.”

Ready to feel better than you ever have before? Get started with the first lesson now: UltraWellness Lesson 1: Environmental Inputs

, , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to An Introduction to UltraWellness

1. Ron Harden July 22, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

I have been reading books on diabeties. It’s a medical book I barely understand. But it teaches diabeties as a symptom. I get migraines so serious that I get dangerous treatments but can’t function without them. My doctor gave me an experimental drug that manuplitated the liver and spleen. I had a very bad reaction involving the spleen. Now I know a lot about the drugs and have mostly stopped where I can. So I now treat myself and am feeling better. But I feel like a blind man treating myself.

2. sarah hegyi October 11, 2010 at 12:39 am #

I am a Gulf war veteran and have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, IBS, depression,ananxiety,panic attacks,migraines, etc…., I am on a host of meds which help as long as I take these meds as scheduscheduled and everyday for the rest of my life!
    I am 46 y/o and have been suffering with this since the 1990s? I would really like to know what happened to the steong and able bodied person I use to be, perhaps you would have a few suggestions?
    Sarah

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD May 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

If you would like information on becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center please see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. That site is designed to give prospective patients a comprehensive source of information about The UltraWellness Center. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637 9991.

Regardless of becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center, it sounds like you need to consult with a doctor. Please seek medical attention for the issues that you outlined in your message.

3. sarah hegyi October 11, 2010 at 12:43 am #

I am a Gulf war veteran and have been diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrome, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Depression,anxiety,panic attacks,migraines, etc…., I am on a host of meds which help as long as I take these meds as scheduled and everyday for the rest of my life!
    Sarah

4. Sara April 30, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Thank you Dr. Hyman. I learned of you work sever years back. I was also recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I’ve Bennett trying to locate a functional medical doctor in Seattle with no luck. Do you have any referrals or sources for finding others who take the ultra wellness approach to health?

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD May 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

5. Rebecca Richman June 3, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Can you recommend an endocrinologist or a physician in the Denver area that follows your ultra wellness program for hypothyroidism?

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD June 30, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you, Rebecca, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

6. Richard Clark July 3, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Some one who read my Blog sent me link to this site, awesome from Portland Oregon to Aotearoa NZ. This is very timely as I deal with dangerous levels of toxins in my body, mercury, lead and arsenic. I have found a great Dr. in Wellington so will bring this site to her attention, thank you.

7. Deborah RN July 9, 2011 at 11:02 am #

I have been interested in alternative medicine and nutrition most of my adult life. As a nurse in a conventional medicine world, I often find it uncomfortable to share my knowledge with patients. Many people just want a quick fix, depending exclusively on their physician’s prescription. My goal is to provide as much information as I can to people who are interested in learning. Many individuals tell me that they feel the information is depressing and they immediately tune out. Physicians generally feel threatened when I attempt to discuss or question their logic related to medication prescribing.
    My primary provider is a chiropractor that has training in alternative medicine approaches. It is wonderful to know that there are physicians like yourself, who are taking a stand, supporting the positive and curative effects of healthy alternatives that can heal us. Please continue to provide/share your knowledge with the world. The hope is that other physicians and registered nurses will become comfortable and knowledgeable in ways to combine both worlds helping mankind live healthy long lives.

Deborah Hanna RN

8. Tracey lee hazelton August 8, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I really need help, over the last 41/2 years I have had multiple issues , some life threanting, I struggle everyday and things just keep getting worse. I will forward a letter from In need of a Diagnosis who suggested you. I go from specialist to specialist. Not one person spends any time reviewing the events of the last 5 years, a bunch of splitter’s and not one lumper, I need someone to put the whole picture together, I’m wasting away. I have been a RN for 20 twenty years and I feel very let down. I send most day home and some days can’t even get out of bed. I will send the email from INOD.org. I live in the mid section of Vermont. I not sure how far away you are from me? I hope you can help me.
    Tracey Hazelton RN

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD August 22, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Hi Tracey, thank you for your message. Lenox is in western Massachusetts, not that far from you. If you want to contact the Ultrawellness Center see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637 9991.

9. Melissa September 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

@ Sarah in Seattle.

Dr. Wendy Ellis
    Tahoma Clinic North Seattle
    2611 NE 125th Street, Suite 228
    Seattle, WA 98125
    206-402-4215 Office
    206-257-4468 Fax

10. Joseph Rengli October 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

I have been searching for a long while to solutions for low energy and depression. There is a big part of me that believes that understanding the body holistically is better than the point and shoot approach of most Western medicine. However, despite being almost super healthy (not even so much as a cold in over a decade) I have not found relief. I want very much not to end up needing help when I am at the “edge of the waterfall” so to speak but now when I have so much going for me. My sincerest hopes that everyone can find their answer that traditional medicine has failed to provide.

JR

11. Denise Baker-Bradley December 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

HI Dr. Hyman,

I have been incredibly blessed to be introduced to you via being a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. I was totally blown away when I listened to the Health Conference in September 2011. I had to go search for you on the Internet because you remind me so much of Dr. Oz, who I absolutely LOVE!! Your approach to awareness is a major paradigm shift here in the United States. I live in Massachusetts and look forward to meeting you and connecting with you as I continue to pursue my studies. I am my very first client, so I am looking forward to the future. May GOD continue to BLESS our mission!

12. Karina January 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I am so happy that I have found your book, I am ready to make a change

In my life please let me know if there a doctor like you in UTAH so I can get help and guide I will forever apprecite it thank you.

• Profile photo of Mark Hyman, MD
      Mark Hyman, MD January 16, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Hi Karina!

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a doctor who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your zip. Progress accordingly from there.

In good health
      Lizzy

13. George Cooke September 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I returned from Korea about 15 years ago, after I had been there a year and a half. I had to leave Korea because I was sick. I don’t blame it on the place. I think I just got sick. First I started having mood swings and I never have mood swings. That quit and I started feeling sick from head to toe in an entirely different way than I had ever felt sick before. I didn’t look sick and I wasn’t weak, but I felt terrible. Finally after I returned to the States, I started feeling just ordinary sick. It was like having the flu for six months, and I had a fever. The Korean doctors I consulted were no help, and I never went to an American doctor because they’re so greedy. Eventually I got better, except that my ears burned. That has improved, but it never went away. I always keep my ears wet. I have no idea if the condition even has a name.

I have been following a vegan diet for most of the last year, and it has improved my health in other ways, but my ears still burn.