UltraWellness Lesson 2: Inflammation & Immune Balance

A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST can save your life. It is called C-reactive protein and it measures the degree of hidden inflammation in your body. This is important because almost every modern disease is caused by or affected by hidden inflammation, including heart disease, cancer, obesity, and dementia as well as arthritis, autoimmune disease, allergies, and digestive disorders.

If your immune system and your ability to balance the inflammatory forces in your body are impaired, watch out. You are headed toward illness and premature aging. But addressing the causes of inflammation and learning how to live an anti-inflammatory lifestyle can lead you to UltraWellness.

In the first lesson, I covered the effects of environmental inputs. Now in this post I will review the causes of inflammation and tell you how to cool it down. But first I want to help you understand more about it.

Everyone who has had a sore throat, a rash, hives, or a sprained ankle knows about inflammation. Those are normal appropriate responses of our defense system to infection or trauma. We need inflammation to survive.

The trouble occurs when that defense system runs out of control, like a rebel army bent on destroying its own country. Most people are familiar with overactive immune responses and too much inflammation in common conditions like allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease or asthma. But few people know that hidden inflammation run amok is at the root of all chronic illness: heart disease, obesity, diabetes, dementia, depression, cancer and even autism.

The real concern is not our acute response to injury, infection or insult, but the chronic smoldering inflammation that slowly destroys our organs, our ability for optimal functioning and leads to rapid aging. We may feel healthy, but if this inflammation is raging inside of us, then we have a problem.

Common treatments such as anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen or aspirin), or steroids like prednisone, though often useful for acute problems, interfere with the body’s own immune response and lead inevitably to serious and deadly side effects. As many people die from taking anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen as die every year from asthma or leukemia. Stopping the use of these drugs would be the equivalent to finding a cure for both.

So what is the best way to control inflammation while we’re still upstream? First, identify the triggers and causes of inflammation, and then help the body’s natural immune balance reset by providing the right conditions for it to thrive.

What causes inflammation?

If inflammation and immune imbalances are at the root of most of modern disease, how do we find the causes and get the body back in balance? Thankfully the list of things that cause inflammation is relatively short:

• Poor diet: mostly sugar, refined flours, processed food and inflammatory fats such as trans and saturated fats
  • Lack of exercise
  • Stress
  • Hidden or chronic infections with viruses, bacteria, yeasts or parasites
  • Hidden allergens from food or the environment
  • Toxins such as mercury and pesticides
  • Mold toxins and allergens

My job is to find those inflammatory factors unique to each person, to see how various lifestyle, environment or infectious factors spin the immune system out of control leading to a host of chronic illnesses. Carefully listening to a person’s story and a few specific tests help me find the cause in most people.

It is important to understand this concept of inflammation is not specific to any one organ or medical specialty. In fact, if you read a medical journal from any of the specialties you will find endless articles about how inflammation is at the root of the problem.

The issue is the lack of communication between specialties. Everyone is treating the downstream effects of inflammation, instead of addressing the cause: multiple problems that are really linked together by inflammation. Take for example, a man who came to see me because he wanted to climb a mountain and asked for my help to get healthy. He was 57-years old and on about 15 medications for about five different inflammatory conditions including high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, colitis, reflux, asthma, and an autoimmune disease of his hair follicles called alopecia.

I asked him how he felt and he said great. I said, I am surprised because I see you are on so many medications. Yes, he said, but everything was very well controlled with the latest medication given by the top specialists he saw in every field: the lung doctor for his asthma, the gastroenterologist for his colitis and reflux, the cardiologist for his high blood pressure, the endocrinologist for his pre-diabetes, and the dermatologist for his hair loss.

I asked him with all these top specialists he saw, did anyone ask him why he had five different inflammatory diseases and why his immune system was so pissed off. Was it just bad luck that he “got” all these diseases or was there something connecting all these problems? He looked puzzled and said no.

I then searched for and found the cause of his problems: gluten. He had celiac disease, an autoimmune disease related to eating gluten, the protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt and oats.

Six months later he came back twenty-five pounds lighter. He had regular blood pressure, no asthma, no reflux and no more colitis. He said he was having normal bowel movements for the first time in his life. And even his hair was growing back. He was off of nearly all his medications.

7 ways to avoiding inflammation

Once you figure out the cause and get rid of it, how do you live an anti-inflammatory lifestyle? Here is what I recommend. It’s disarmingly simple, but an extraordinarily effective way to achieve UltraWellness:

1. Eat a whole foods, high fiber, plant-based diet which is inherently anti-inflammatory. That means unprocessed, unrefined, real food and high in powerful anti-inflammatory plant chemicals called phytonutrients. Nothing full of sugar or trans fats.
  2. Get an oil change. Eat healthy fats from olive oil, nuts, avocados and omega 3 fats from small fish like sardines, herring, sable, and wild salmon.
  3. Exercise. Do I need to say more?
  4. Learn to actively relax to engage your vagus nerve, the powerful nerve that relaxes your whole body and lowers inflammation, by doing yoga, meditation, deep breathing or even taking a hot bath.
  5. If you have food allergies, find out what they are and stop eating them.
  6. Take probiotics (“good bacteria”) daily to help your digestion to improve the healthy bacteria in your gut which reduces inflammation. (Look for those that contain 10 billion CFU of bifidobacteria species and lactobacillus species. Choose from reputable brands.)
  7. Take a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement which helps reduce inflammation.

Taking a comprehensive approach to inflammation and balancing your immune system will help address one of the most important systems of the body.

In the future we may no longer have specialties like cardiology, neurology or gastroenterology, but new specialists like “inflammaologists”. But by understanding these concepts and core systems, the basis of UltraWellness, you don’t have to wait.

In the next lesson I will cover how out-of-balance hormones make us sick and how to get them back in balance.

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below – but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to UltraWellness Lesson 2: Inflammation & Immune Balance

1. Mary Hannahan July 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Dear Doctor Mary Hyman, I feel like I know you. I am just finishing my IIN course as a distance learner. Your lectures I found transforming. I have bought both your books and the IFM volume – my bibles. I have just met with my first client, suffering from painful rheumatoid arthritis. I thank you so much for all the knowledge and insight you are willing to share so generously. You are a star, so is Joshau, and oh, so many of you, leading this movement, and deeply empowering – all. I was married to a physician for 21 years. I continue to step out of that shadow.
    All the best and my sincere appreciation, Mary Hannahan

2. Kim July 18, 2010 at 1:19 am #

I desperately need an “inflammaologist.” I do all the things…diet, exercse but I need IL-10 and I have no spleen, spleenectomy in 1984. I’m considering hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy, but I’ve recently learned that one of the reasons it works for chronic inflammation is that it induces the production of IL-10 in the spleen. I have no problem what’s going on inside, but I can only imagine. I now realize, it’s probably related to 2 years of bacterial overload from unsanitary conditions of my brother’s dog. I merely brush something and I get almost immediate swelling; it never goes away and is always hot to tingling. It’s getting worse, buttons on an upholstered chair cause these seromas? (is that what they are, there’s never discoloration) THEY LITERALLY NEVER GO AWAY…bone as well as soft tissue. I’m trying to find the right specialist. Please someone answer me and help me! It actually causes suicidal torment for some minutes of every waking hour. I’ve tried to find out if there’s a synthetic IL-10 but I’ve not been successful. Thank you…Please help me

• dhstaff September 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Due to the volume of queries, he cannot respond to these comments personally at this time. If you would like information on becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center please see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. That site is designed to give prospective patients a comprehensive source of information about The UltraWellness Center. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637 9991.

Regardless of becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center, it sounds like you need to consult with a doctor. Please seek medical attention for the issues that you outlined in your message.

3. Kim July 18, 2010 at 1:29 am #

I have no spleen and I need IL-10. Spleenectomy in1984. I have an immediate inflammatory response if I merely touch something…hot/burnig swollen area that literally NEVER goes away. Probably related to systemic 2 year bacterial overload from unsanitary conditions of a poorly maintained dog. I noticed the first symptom apprx 14 months ago..bone & soft tissue. Just found out that hyperbaric oxygen therapy won’t help me; it works by stimulating IL-10 prodiction in the spleen. PLEASE HELP!

• dhstaff September 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

4. Ann Murtha July 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

Do you know of any MD’s in the Boulder/Denver Colorado area who follow your
    approach? My 18-year-old granddaughter has followed the treatment of a leading
    juvenile rheumatoid arthritis doctor since age 6 and family was told recently that
    she will have the disease now into adulthood, despite taking all the terribly toxic
    prescribed medications over the years and having infusions, etc.

Various sorts of alternative treatments are available, sound therapy, energetic healing of a variety of methods, homeopathy, etc. Any comments on these alternatives?

Do you have actual experience treating JRA, now adult RA in my granddaughter?

• dhstaff September 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

5. Diane Bruner September 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

I’m 61, female and recently diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica and was put on prendisone (20 mg daily). I had a 69 WSR. I’m concerned as to why I have contracted this and want to accelerate my healing and avoid any further damage this may be causing my body. What proactive recommendations do you have. I plan to start probiotics today. I eat well (maybe too many sweets). Usually only eat whole wheat products, yogurt and plenty of fruits and veggies. Nuts, red wine, dark chocolate and daily vitamins (including fish oils) are on a regular basis as well as daily tea and a cup of coffee. No fried foods, little beef mostly fowl, fish or pork. I have high blood pressure & am taking medications, am 5’6″ & 145 pounds and am very active. Saw you on PBS and was so impressed. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. Prior comment had incorrect email address. This is the corrected one.

• dhstaff September 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

6. helen October 21, 2010 at 2:47 am #

Hi Dr Mark,
    I am writing to you from Australia and hoping you can provide me with clear and presice advise on what food/diet I should be on, as I suffer form ulcerative collitis. I take VSL 3 probiotic and I am finding it does help, I can feel & hear instant results in my stomach (it stops gurgling) however I find myself in a flare up 70% of the time. I am sure its diet related and stess related for me. I need your help to improve my immune system. Help please!

looking forward to hearing from you
    Thanks
    Helen

Mark Hyman, MD May 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

7. Le Anna December 16, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

I found your website because a friend forwarded me your latest autism article. I have twin sons (5-1/2) who were diagnosed with autism at 2years of age. To say we have been through Hades and back is an understatement. I learned early on to do my own research and find what I could that would help my children because pediatricians really don’t know, and some downright do not CARE, what will help children with diagnosed autism. As far as doctors are concerned, the attitude is, “gee, we’re real sorry they have it. Best wishes” and MAYBE they direct you to getting some kind of therapy. Anything medical that can possibly help them, forget it.

What we have done to help our children is 3 years of Applied Behavior Analysis and removing all casein from their diet. Of course their Vitamin D deficiences were frowned upon and we were told by the doctors that it is our fault because milk does now show up as an allergy for them. And yet, why does it make them so sick they vomit and have diarreah for four days after they get a handful of cheese, why does one get skin rashes and one acts drunk when they get it? And yet NONE of those symptoms are present now that I have deleted it? Hmmm..(blank stare). I have also removed ALL processed foods out of our home – especially those with MSG, aspartame and most corn syrup. These three ingredients put all of us into mental foggy states and for my two youngest sons, they get VERY agressive with these foods.

I was AMAZED when I read your latest study. So many things ring true for my autistic boys, but for the rest of my family as well. I have severe asthma and allergies as does my 16 year old son. We all have gut issues (that have improved with removing casein) and I am now going through medical testing for possible Rhemetoid Arthritis and/or M.S. There are too many things to list here, but I believe that our symptoms and various maladies are brought on directly by the foods we eat and the toxins in our environment. I have tried talking with doctors about this but they look at me like I am the craziest person they have ever seen.

Thank you for your research, for your center and for your passion in helping people get to the bottom of their maladies and for getting them on to the road of better health.

Le Anna in California

8. Jeanette January 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Where can I get a C reactive protein test? Is that a test a pediatrician can provide? Thank you.

Mark Hyman, MD May 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Thank you, Jeanette, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

9. Roberta Russell March 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

I have low back pain and have taken anti-inflammortiy mediications for a long time? I have had lots of therapy. How can I found out what is causing my inflammations?? The doctor suggests an MRI, how is that going to help me??

10. slacker April 29, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Great post , I am going to spend more time reading about this topic

11. shelia richer May 17, 2011 at 10:36 am #

How did you know that the man was allergic to gluten? For many years, I have been suffering with deep radiating pain in my shoulders. I am unsure of how to diagnose what the cause is. Eating breads is not a big part of my diet.

12. Eric August 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Do you believe medications could increase body inflammation as they interfere with homeostasis? If someone takes a blood pressure medication, there will likely be a reduction in blood pressure, but the brain did not reduce the blood pressure, the medication did. Therefore, via negative feedback, the brain would attempt to reverse the change in blood pressure that the medication induced. Can you imagine the effect on homeostasis for those that take multiple medications?

13. clarence boukas September 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

What about preventing all heart attacks, as proposed by dr.hesseltyne, and the china study. Or the vegan diet.

14. Janet Meredith October 19, 2011 at 10:08 am #

A friend referred me to your program after I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, Sjogren’s Disease and Scleroderma. The pain in my arms, legs and neck have been unbearable. Just recently had shoulder surgery for torn rotator cuff. Conventional doctor is treating me with meds and tells me this is uncurable. I have been on your Ultra Metabolism Diet for 3 weeks. Not sure how long it will take for my body to stop attacking itself. I am interested to know if there are any physicians in the Orlando Florida area who practice what you teach. I truly believe the diet is a cure.

Mark Hyman, MD October 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

15. laura January 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Dr. Hyman:

I have had MS-like symptoms for 23 years ( I am not 44) although I have had clear MRI’s and have not been diagnosed. It started with a bladder infection that DID at first go away with anti-biotics, but then maybe a few months later i got what I thought as another bladder infection (frequency but no pain with urinating this time), but it did not go away.

I also have vision issues…(after having chicken pox, my vision was cloudy in one eye-dr thought it as from chicken pox visus), other vision issues, (streakiness, one pupil looks larger than the other, some blurriness, distortions, etc), tingling, some numbness, pricking, burning, other strange sensations, shortness of breath, some hearing loss, night sweats, knee pain, some fatigue, mild joint pain, tip of one toe is always a little numb, hands and feet easily fall asleep, muscle twitching, etc.

I had normal MRI’s of brain, and C and L spine when I was 23/24. Also normal in 2007 on a 3T machine with and without contrast of brain and c-spine. Also a normal lumbar puncture also at age 23/24.
    What can I do to help with my symptoms? My bladder issues were bad the first five years, but after that significantly subsided.

I am currently following George Jenelik’s OMS plan since August of 2007.

Thank-you.

16. Bev Blackmore August 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Hi Dr.Hyman
    Thank you for the great article. I had allot of inflammation in my knee, from a fall years ago. I have osteoarthritis in it now. I have been taking a Glutathione Accelerator from Max International and what a difference. I know you know all about Glutathione. I am so very glad I was introduced to this product.
    Thank you again for your article.
    Bev Blackmore

17. Natacha Bednarczyk August 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Hi, I am a 40 year old mother of 4. Last November my life totally changed I started getting massive joint pain. I have tried everything from a vegan diet to the master cleanse. I was diagnosed 9 years ago with RA, I really didn’t worry about it because I never really had any symptoms. After every birth I had pain in my joints for approxmately 30 days. I use to exercise 5-6 days a week for 2 hours a day. As of November of 2011, I have not been able to exercise and have been functioning on Alleve. I am really depressed and defeated! I don’t know what to do. I want to go to a holistic doctor because I have no interest in western medicine. I wish I could come see you, because I have faith you could help me. Is their a doctor you could refer me too in south Florida?
    Blessings,
    Natacha

HymanStaff September 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

18. doulberis babis August 25, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

hi dr Hyman
    i am from greece and i want to thank you for your great health tips.i have one question for you.when i try to do the ultrasimple diet (for one week) i stop it after 3 days and when i start again to eat dairy and gluten products i have only for 1-2 days diarrhea and then stops.this symptom tells me something?thank you

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff September 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

HI Doulberis Babis,
      Thank you for your interest in Dr Hyman’s work. We are glad to hear you are trying the USD program. It does seem like you are having a reaction to either or both the dairy and gluten. For personalized feedback and guidance on the program please connect with nutrition coaching at: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/

19. Arlie October 21, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I wish there was a Doctor like you in Northern Michigan. The only Dr. I could work with is now retiring. Please keep up the good work, people have the right to know the truth. God Bless.

20. Michele October 21, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Appreciate the info you disperse….I have found use of enzyme therapy helpful with inflammation issues.

21. lory smith October 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

dr. i agree with your commits, but would add to this, that some meats also cause inflammation like beef,cold cuts,
    organ meats, some sea foods, i try and buy all organtic foods its very hard to find and expence.

22. LMatsui November 29, 2012 at 2:28 am #

I am wondering what information you have about salycilate sensitivity. I have been looking at what is available on the web and some of it is contradictory. Is this an area you are familiar with? I am working very hard to reduce anything that may cause inflammation as I am fighting an autoimmune disorder, and I am finding it extremely difficult to eat a balanced diet with salycilate sensitivity (among other food sensitivities) . Any up to date and well documented information you could direct me to would be helpful. Thank you.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff November 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Hi There,

Thank you for your interest in working with Dr Hyman. Unfortunately we cannot answer personal medical queries here. For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

23. Julia Berrios December 7, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Do you believe hyperbaric oxygen chamber can improve cfs ? I have been diagnosed with several infections cocksackie, hhv6′ Epstein Barr, cmv.due to low nk cells number and activity. I am currently homebound. I tried 13 treatmentsf vitamin c / hydrogen peroxide iv, gluthathione. In a series 3 a week, four a week, 3′ a week, four a week. I had to stop after 13. The herx was terrible. Now I’m bedridde in a crash. What should I do?

I am 42 year old special Ed teacher?

Thanks

Jula

HymanStaff January 24, 2013 at 12:37 am #

24. Karen April 5, 2013 at 6:46 am #

Hi, I have lichen schlerosus (now in the fuzing of ‘ladies bits’ stage) diabetes (2) and an underactive thyroid. Do you know of any doctors/centres in the UK who ‘follow’ Dr Mark Hyams methods. I thank you in anticipation for any information you can offer. Kind regards Karen

25. Diane May 7, 2014 at 4:41 am #

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre
    talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when yyou could be giving us something enlightening to read?