Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs

GOT MILK?

These days, it seems like almost everybody does. Celebrities, athletes, and even former president Clinton’s head of Health and Human Services, Donna Shalala, are all proud to wear the white “milk mustache.” After all, everyone knows that you need milk to be healthy …

Dairy is nature’s perfect food — but only if you’re a calf.

If that sounds shocking to you, it’s because very few people are willing to tell the truth about dairy. In fact, criticizing milk in America is like taking on motherhood, apple pie, or baseball. But that’s just what I’m about to do.

Based on the research and my experience practicing medicine, I typically advise most of my patients to avoid dairy products completely. I like ice cream just as much as the next person, but as a scientist I have to look honestly at what we know. In today’s blog I will explore many of the documented ill-effects of dairy, and give you six reasons you should avoid dairy at all costs.

The Reason I Have Problems with the USDA Food Pyramid

I’m aware that my advice to avoid dairy flies in the face of the new, “up-to-date” food pyramid from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA’s pyramid recommends drinking 3 glasses of milk a day. What’s wrong with that? Well, for one thing, it’s not a recommendation that’s based on strict science.

Some of the “experts” who helped create the pyramid actually work for the dairy industry, which makes the US Department of agriculture’s recommendations reflect industry interests, not science or our best interests.

In fact, Walter Willett, M.D., Ph.D — the second-most-cited scientist in all of clinical medicine and the head of nutrition at Harvard’s School of Public Health — is one of the pyramid’s most vocal critics. He’s even called its guidelines “udderly ridiculous.” That’s not something a Harvard scientist says lightly.

But Dr. Willett is right. The pyramid just isn’t based on key scientific findings about health. Just take a look at some of the pyramid’s recommendations — and why I disagree with them.

1. Consume a variety of foods within and among the basic food groups while staying within your body’s energy needs.

Sounds sensible — but which food groups? If you choose dairy, meat, fats, and carbohydrates, the “perfect” meal could be a cheeseburger, milkshake, and fries with ketchup (potatoes and tomatoes are the two top vegetables consumed in America). Generic advice like that is pretty meaningless and potentially harmful.

2. Control your caloric intake to manage body weight.

Again, that sounds good, but as I wrote in my book UltraMetabolism, even the best-trained nutritionists and dietitians can’t come close to correctly estimating their own caloric intake in a day. Also consider this: Is it okay to consume all of your calories from cola or ice cream as long as you stay within my caloric needs? Of course not. So this is more useless advice.

3. Increase intake of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nonfat or low-fat milk products.

Well, fruits, veggies, and whole grains are great. Milk — not so much. I’ll get back to that in a minute.

4. Choose carbohydrates wisely.

Who could argue with that? But how do they define “wisely”? The real advice here should be to cut down sugar intake from 185 pounds per person per year (what we currently consume) to less than a pound, avoid flour products (except as a treat), and stick to whole-food carbohydrates like vegetables, fruit, whole grains, beans, nuts, and seeds.

5. Choose to prepare food with little salt.

That’s not bad advice. But it doesn’t make sense if most of what you eat is packaged or processed foods that you don’t actually prepare. For most Americans who eat half of their meals outside their homes, this isn’t helpful. A better recommendation would be to avoid packaged, processed, canned, prepared, and fast foods (unless you know exactly how they are made).

6. If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation.

Sounds good — but if you’re usually drinking two bottles of wine a night, then one seems like moderation! I think a better suggestion is to limit your alcohol consumption to half a drink a day or 3 glasses a week (the amount that seems to have the most health benefit).

7. Don’t eat unsafe foods.

Of course you shouldn’t leave your egg salad out in the hot sun or toss your salad with hands that just handled raw chicken coated with salmonella. But the food pyramid guidelines don’t mention pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, or genetically modified foods, despite scientific evidence of their harm. Shame on the USDA!

You can see now why I have big problems with the food pyramid! Its guidelines try to sound sensible — while still protecting the interests of the food industry, the agriculture industry, and all of the lobbyists paying for the elections of the Congress. That way everybody’s happy …

But I’m not, and you shouldn’t be either. The public just isn’t served by this watered down, confusing, and useless pyramid. Worse, some of the recommendations are downright harmful –like the one to drink more milk and dairy products.

The Truth about Dairy

According to Dr. Willett, who has done many studies and reviewed the research on this topic, there are many reasons to pass up milk, including:

1. Milk doesn’t reduce fractures. Contrary to popular belief, eating dairy products has never been shown to reduce fracture risk. In fact, according to the Nurses’ Health Study dairy may increase risk of fractures by 50 percent!

2. Less dairy, better bones. Countries with lowest rates of dairy and calcium consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.

3. Calcium isn’t as bone-protective as we thought. Studies of calcium supplementation have shown no benefit in reducing fracture risk. vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures.

4. Calcium may raise cancer risk. Research shows that higher intakes of both calcium and dairy products may increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent. Plus, dairy consumption increases the body’s level of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) — a known cancer promoter.

5. Calcium has benefits that dairy doesn’t. Calcium supplements, but not dairy products, may reduce the risk of colon cancer.

6. Not everyone can stomach dairy. About 75 percent of the world’s population is genetically unable to properly digest milk and other dairy products — a problem called lactose intolerance.

Based on such findings, Dr. Willet has come to some important conclusions:

• Everybody needs calcium –

but probably not as much as our government’s recommended daily allowance (RDA).

• Calcium probably doesn’t prevent broken bones.

Few people in this country are likely to reduce their fracture risk by getting more calcium.

• Men may not want to take calcium supplements.

Supplements of calcium and

vitamin D

may be reasonable for women.

• Dairy may be unhealthy.

Advocating dairy consumption may have negative effects on health.

If all that isn’t enough to swear you off milk, there are a few other scientific findings worth noting. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently asked the UDSA to look into the scientific basis of the claims made in the “milk mustache” ads. Their panel of scientists stated the truth clearly:

• Milk doesn’t benefit sports performance.

• There’s no evidence that dairy is good for your bones or prevents osteoporosis — in fact, the animal protein it contains may help cause bone loss!

• Dairy is linked to prostate cancer.

• It’s full of saturated fat and is linked to

heart disease

• Dairy causes digestive problems for the 75 percent of people with lactose intolerance.

• Dairy aggravates

irritable bowel syndrome

Simply put, the FTC asked the dairy industry, “Got Proof?” — and the answer was NO!

Plus, dairy may contribute to even more health problems, like:

Allergies

• Sinus problems

• Ear infections

• Type 1 diabetes

• Chronic constipation

• Anemia (in children)

Due to these concerns, many have begun to consider raw milk an alternative. But that isn’t really a healthy form of dairy either …

Yes, raw, whole, organic milk eliminates concerns like pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and the effects of homogenization and pasteurization — but to me, these benefits don’t outweigh dairy’s potential risks.

From an evolutionary point of view, milk is a strange food for humans. Until 10,000 years ago we didn’t domesticate animals and weren’t able to drink milk (unless some brave hunter-gather milked a wild tiger or buffalo!).

If you don’t believe that, consider this: The majority of humans naturally stop producing significant amounts of lactase — the enzyme needed to properly metabolize lactose, the sugar in milk — sometime between the ages of two and five. In fact, for most mammals, the normal condition is to stop producing the enzymes needed to properly digest and metabolize milk after they have been weaned.

Our bodies just weren’t made to digest milk on a regular basis. Instead, most scientists agree that it’s better for us to get calcium, potassium, protein, and fats from other food sources, like whole plant foods — vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and seaweed.

So here is my advice for dealing with dairy.

5 Tips for Dealing with Dairy

• Don’t rely on dairy for healthy bones.

If you want healthy bones, get plenty of exercise and supplement with 2,000 IU of

vitamin D

daily.

• Get your calcium from food.

These include dark green leafy vegetables, sesame tahini, sea vegetables, and sardines or salmon with the bones.

• Try giving up all dairy.

That means eliminate milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream for two weeks and see if you feel better. You should notice improvements with your

sinuses

, post-nasal drip,

headaches

irritable bowel syndrome

, energy, and weight. Then start eating dairy again and see how you feel. If you feel worse, you should try to give it up for life.

• If you can tolerate dairy, use only raw, organic dairy products.

I suggest focusing on fermented products like unsweetened yogurt and kefir, occasionally.

• If you have to feed your child formula from milk, don’t worry.

The milk in infant formula is hydrolyzed or broken down and easier to digest (although it can still cause allergies). Once your child is a year old, switch him or her to real food and almond milk.

Still got milk? I hope not! Remember, dairy is not crucial for good health. I encourage you to go dairy-free and see what it does for you.

Now I’d like to hear from you …

Do you agree or disagree that dairy is bad for you?

Have you experienced any problems consuming dairy?

What changes — for better or worse — have you experienced if you’ve tried eliminating dairy?

Please let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment below…

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

67 Responses to Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs

1. Crystal March 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Is goat milk OK, or would you put it in the same category as cow’s milk?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Hi Crystal,

Unfortunately, there is no black or white answer for this as each of us will react to proteins in food based on our own health status and biochemical individuality. In general, goats milk is in the same category as cow’s milk. For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to:http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

• H.k January 11, 2015 at 1:18 pm #

i am a female. i have never drunk milk and never consumed any dairy product through out my life. can this behviour be harmful for me?

• Alli February 6, 2015 at 10:18 pm #

Goat’s milk is not the same as cow’s milk. Goat’s milk is already homogenized, it is easier for those who are lactose intolerant to “digest” it because its globular molecules are smaller than cows milk. Jersey Cow’s milk is different from Holstein cows milk also. I know several people who have Chrohn’s disease & have “cured it” (their words not mine) by consuming goat’s milk & altering their diet.

2. Erica March 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

I agree. I am dairy free about 95% of the time. Sometimes I really crave it when I have a bad day and if I give in and have it, I crave it for at least a week! Then I also get a runny nose and tummy ache!

3. david March 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

I am 2 months into losing weight and exercising to change my high A1c levels and blood sugar levels. I have been largely successful by avoiding all pure carbohydrates ( oatmeal whole grain pasta, even low carb whole wheat bread) even the healthy ones because i seemed to spike from them. thus in the am I dont want to spike my sugar since i have (but am now getting over) dawn phenomenon. thus i eat 0% fat greek yogurt plain with a 1/4 cup of berries. this is my every morning routine except for weekends when i have time to cook egg whites and lowfat turkey.
    Is this dairy bad for me.
    There isnt much left to eat with carbs out of the picture until my sugar numbers are completely normal when I will add back whole grains in modest quantities. a

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 4, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Hi David,

You seem like the perfect person to try Dr Hyman’s The Blood Sugar Solution! Go to http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com to learn which food to eat and which to avoid. Hint: Dr Hyman suggests avoiding dairy for 6 weeks. There are tons of tasty recipes which are available for you to play with too! For more personalized nutrition advice, Dr Hyman’s nutrition coaching team would be happy to work with you on an individual level to help you reach your goals. To work with the nutrition coaching team please go to: http://www.bloodsugarsolution.com/nutrition-coaching/ OR call (800) 892-1443 to get started.

4. jen March 21, 2013 at 7:49 am #

I agree with this. I have removed dairy and my joint pain got better along with morning sinus congestion. The issue now is I have multiple food allergies to all nuts seeds beans and grains including rice. I also have excess oxalate in my urine and need to follow a lox oxalate diet. This removes many high calcium veges from my list. I added back in dairy because I had no food choices. I feel between a rock and a hard place.

• Tom Prebis April 3, 2015 at 3:38 pm #

I stopped drinking dairy milk perhaps ten years ago, went through a phase where I drank soy milk instead, then went with almondmilk, & just discovered Coconutmilk….& I just seem to FEEL better (& possess exponentially more energy) having done as much!!! Does anyone have any similar experiences?

5. Kumo March 28, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

I am dairy free for the past 12 days and already see that my skin condition (cheeks were rough for the past few years – doctors diagnosed it as sun sensitivity and asked me to apply spf 30 every day I go out) improved and its now soft and supple like before. I am not sure if it’s the result of going dairy free or something else but I am leaning towards the earlier cause. I will continue for few more days and see if my skin still feels better. Later I will add dairy products and notice the condition of my skin. Anyways, you mention switching daily with almond milk in you article so I am curious what goes into making almond milk and do you have any scientic evidence that almond milk is good for us (or rather not bad for us ?) ?? Almond may be good but almond milk ?? Almond doesn’t naturally produce milk (If you cold press almond I think oil comes out but not a lot of milk).. Appreciate your response.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Hi Kumo,

Almond, hemp or any nut or seed “milk” is a great alternative to dairy as they tend to be hypoallergenic and low glycemic as long as you opt for the unsweetened version! This helps cool inflammation in the body and sets you up for healing and thriving.

• Elisabeth May 5, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

too bad all of those have gums (as a thickener) in them. they give me a headache!

• laura November 18, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Elisabeth, why not try making your own? A quick internet search will turn up lots of how-to posts and videos. Then, you’re in complete control of what’s in the almond milk. I make my own and my whole family – from my toddler son to my picky spouse, love it!

6. James April 18, 2013 at 4:27 am #

Humans werent ever designed. We clearly evolved with a long history or consumption of raw meats, from the land, sea, and sky. We are clearly not herbivores. Im sure a non-sedentary could eat what ever they pleasef. Im also as sure that an individual with a bmi lower then 18% body fat would eventually suffer from a no or low fat diet. Please blame the process of food production before the product, as doctors should indeed be biochemists before all else

7. Julie Grey May 13, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Hi Very interested in your theory on Dairy,Im a self confessed milkaholic and butter also I also suffer from headaches on 2 days each month,exercise helps alot but Im now going to try going Dairy free for awhile to see if this will help,I walk and cycle on average 12 miles 4 days a week and yet I cant loose weight Im 5 ft 2 and weigh 152 lbs,I dont eat fast food drink any types of fizzy drinks but I eat alot of bread and Dairy,could this possibly be a problem.1Id love to have an idea,thanks!

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Dear Julie,

Thank you for sharing your health story with us. Yes, the potential is there that your stubborn weight loss could be caused by food sensitivities to gluten and dairy. Have you seen this article? http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/22/how-hidden-food-sensitivities-make-you-fat/

While Dr Hyman cannot provide personal medical advice in this forum, if you would like to make an appointment at Dr. Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA please go to:http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/ When you are finished reading through the material you may call the office at After you have reviewed this, please contact our office to make an appointment. By phone, (413) 637-9991; by email, office@ultrawellnesscenter.com

In Good Health,
      The Nutrition Team

• Alli February 6, 2015 at 10:34 pm #

Julie have you got your thyroid levels checked. I had a bio-scan done & it showed that my thyroid was slightly out of whack even though I had it tested by a Dr & their test showed that i was fine.
      There’s more than our diet that causes us to maintain weight…..our chemistry is a factor as well.

I don’t eat a lot of cheese or other dairy products, but i also deal with headaches & allergies & sinus issues on occasion. We have to look at our whole diet, lifestyle to see what’s causing our issues.
      Our foods (veggies) are mostly GMO’s now, covered in Pesticides & other chemicals that help them to “ripen” by the time they get to the market. What does that do to our system? What about what we drink? Soda, Coffee, sports drinks, energy drinks.
      High Fructose Corn syrup is extremely unhealthy for us, look at the other ingredients, find out exactly what they are. While this site is against milk/dairy consumption…….there’s more things out there that’s causing our problems.
      And by the way….for the Dr or his staff……Raw Milk (whether it be goat or cow) doesn’t eliminate or rid the milk of hormones or pesticides or antibiotic’s (it really helps to educate yourself before saying such things) because if its in their feed, then chances are high that its in their milk. Dairy farmers feed or inject their cows with a hormonal supplement to increase their milk supply (BHT or R something is the hormone), plus it can be added to their grain feed. Pesticides will be on/in their grass, hay, grains if the hay farmer sprays their field, but since most Alfalfa is now GMO it will kick insects (including bees to some extent) so it can be sprayed with Round up & not be killed either. And antibiotic’s are injected when the cow (or goat) is sick & does have a time period that it’ll be in the milk & that milk should not be consumed.
      I raise dairy goats, but have also worked on a cow dairy, I have also gone to college for dairy education. I am not pro-dairy (especially not big commercial dairy’s) but i am pro-educating yourself.

8. Rob May 22, 2013 at 4:46 am #

I have suffered many years with pimples. I tried most acne medications. Nothing worked. I tried scrubbing face. That didn’t work. Then I heard that you get pimples because you Masturbate to much… Whatever. It’s embarrassing to think people think of you as a Chronic masturbater just because you are full of pimples on your face. I decided that I had enough. It must be in the food I consume. Guess what the main ingredient for pimples getting pimples is? DAIRY! My favorite foods as a child/teen were Pizza, Cheeseburgers, Ice Cream, Enchiladas, yogurts, Chocolates. I stopped consuming dairy, and now my pimples are virtually gone. There are times however, in cafeterias or restaurants where dairy is even in the food that is not supposed to have dairy. And so sometimes I break out in pimples because of it. As long as I know what foods to stay away from next time ( dairy foods or foods that contain hidden dairy ), my face will continue to be clear. Oh and, people tell me I am looking good and I lost weight! So yeah, Stay away from dairy if you want to be healthy. Listen to your own body. Exercise your right as a human to think outside the box.

9. Nancy Moody, RN July 31, 2013 at 6:27 am #

Thank you so much for this article as I had my Grandson out for dinner last night and he wanted milk as it is “good for you if you want to play sports”. I tried to tell him about the dangers of dairy products and then told him I would show him on the internet.
    I have been off dairy for years and so many health problems have cleared up. No more sinus, irritable bowls etc. As a child I recognized that milk bothered me but did have ice cream, butter, cheese. I now stay away from dairy products as much as possible and now do extra green shakes with greens (from my tower garden) to get calcium. I take Juice Plus+ to fill the gap.

10. Ella November 7, 2013 at 11:37 am #

I’ve been flirting with the idea of removing dairy from my diet for quite some time now. Not too long ago, I tried going a week without it and I felt great. However, my cravings got the best of me and I went back to eating it. Currently, I’m working on permanently removing dairy. I’ve limited my intake tremendously and substitute it for other ingredients. This was a great article and very motivating for me and my journey. Thank you :)

11. Kim Olsen December 20, 2013 at 4:04 am #

Hi about 20 years ago I gave up dairy firstly completely for a few years then almost completely until about 7 years ago when it became completely.
    I had many ear nose throat and tonsil infections as a child and then sinus and hay fever problems for many years getting quite debilitating towards my forties. The first time it took nearly a year to clear my body of the mucus. I still got colds and clearings in that time.
    Now 20 years later I am 30+kgs lighter and sitting on normal weight as per bmi scales and feeling the best I ever have.
    I have also given up alcohol, gluten, sugar and all drugs including caffine and headache tablets for between 5 and 10 years.

12. kristy March 20, 2014 at 10:11 am #

That was a fantastic article, very interesting thank you. I don’t eat a lot of dairy but I did go off it for a while as I found when my crohn’s disease is active i become intolerant and even when its under control excessive amounts can cause me issues. I also have terrible bones and will most likely end up with osteoporosis when I’m older the doctors put me on caltrate plus D supplements, should I just take Vitamin D tablets instead?

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff August 20, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Hi Kristy,
      Thank you for your interest In Dr. Hyman’s work. Unfortunately he cannot provide you personalized medical advice in this forum. In order to provide you the proper care you need we hope you will seek the attention of a local qualified Functional Med practitioner soon. To locate a doctor near you who practices functional medicine like Dr. Hyman, go to http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117 and scroll down to where it says “locate a practitioner” and enter your location. Progress accordingly from there.

You can also make an appointment to be a patient at Dr.Hyman’s UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Please go to: http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com/becoming-a-patient/

Did you know you can work with Dr. Hyman’s nutritionists virtually? For personalized nutrition coaching where you can receive 1:1 support with Registered Dietitians, please see: http://store.drhyman.com/Store/List/Coaching-Programs.

13. kreed April 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

We have been meat and dairy for over a year and feel great. My own cholesterol went from 334 to 196 in less than a year!​
    My brother and his wife have become interested and started to make changes with their diet. They have a 3 year old with leukemia and are wanting to give him the best chances for a full and fast recovery and that is why many of the vegan ideas seem so ‘right’ for them. They are excited about how they feel and how their child feels with the few changes they have made. They are tired of the french fries, hamburgs and milk that the hospitals serve, when they brought up taking dairy out of their sons diet the doctor was not happy. He told them there is a lot of good stuff in milk and made a real point of saying he needs all the calcium he needs because of the medications he is on.
    Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas or experience with this? They really feel that a change in diet would help their son but their doctor is telling them it would be a bad idea.
    Thanks

14. John Morgan May 7, 2014 at 12:50 am #

Hey there. I’m vegan so technically none of this matters to me personally, at least in a health sense. It matters more in cultural ways. Essentially my life is super duper difficult knowing this kind of information and simultaneously knowing of the willful ignorance most people covet so dearly. This probably doesn’t directly matter to you but I spend a great deal of time thinking about it. I’m truly upset that our country, the United States, is so steeped in misinformation. Not only do I advocate equal rights for nonhuman animals, I find it absurd to think human beings don’t deserve to live in the light of the truth. It all sounds hokey, this culture down plays it but this information can change lives so I guess I probably just want to thank you for it.

15. Lucy May 7, 2014 at 7:02 am #

I just want to say that after only 8 days of no dairy I feel amazing. My skin is better (I suffer hormonal adult acne) I am sleeping better, feel much more energetic and just feel ‘cleaner’ inside and out.

I am going to keep this up and hopefully I’ll continue to feel better and better.

16. Matina May 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

I seem to become very irritable, moody or gloomy the day after consuming dairy such as ice cream. Could this be related to the dairy or something else. I had a food sensitivity test done and dairy was high on the list.

17. Victoria May 28, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Just to add to what John has said, there are many benefits to humans brought by being dairy free, but also, the more of us that take that step the better for the animals that suffer in the inhumane and unethical factory farms.

18. Joshua Groves May 29, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

I would like to see the sources of you information. While you have mentioned them, links or specific publication information would be helpful.

19. Michele Langley June 26, 2014 at 10:44 pm #

I’ve decided to give up dairy and see if it helps with my stomach aches after EVERY mean, acne and the obnoxious clearing of my throat that I do ALL day long!!! Today was the first day I didn’t have cream in my coffee, or any other form of dairy that I knew of. I paid close attention and I DID NOT HAVE TO CLEAR MY THROAT TODAY AT ALL. Now, how weird is that!? Could it really be an allergy to dairy that causes this… I’d say so. Also, a few years ago I finally figured out I had to be allergic to dairy because whenever I eat pizza, or cheesecake I am doubled over in pain and I feel lethargic. I can’t help it, I truly think its all related to UNECESSARY dairy intake. I too have been STRUGGLING with weight loss and I am hoping that this is part of that as well. (I kind of think I have a gluten issue too, but I can only drop one major thing at a time) thanks Dr Mark for the great article.

20. Hannah July 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

This article is quite interesting. For the past few years, I have suffered with acne. As a teenager, you usually get acne in your “T” zone (e.g. the nose, chin, and forehead), but I noticed that I was not having trouble in that area. It was all in my cheeks (hormonal acne). My mother is a huge dairy advocate, thus I ate a lot of dairy growing up. I would have yogurt at least twice a day along with cheese and milk. After I went to college, I read lots of articles on diet vs complexion, and I gave up dairy. My acne was disappearing week after week. My skin has never looked so good. Anytime I eat any dairy, my skin fires up again.

21. Mercedes Hayman July 12, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Thank you for your article. I have skeletal osteoporosis and was recommended to
    drink 1 glass of a2 milk daily, as an alternative to dairy. Now I am confused, as it may have been further exasperated my condition. Why do medical professionals recommend drinking milk?

22. ray July 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

The sought for calcium in dairy is meant for baby cows – not for adults. Milk is responsible for osteoporosis to a large degree, Also fattening and plugs the main arteries of the heart. Soy and tofu drinks are much better for our health. Soy cheese products are also available. I prefer margarine on bread – not butter. Thanks, Ray Mckinzie

23. Marina Bols July 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

Hallo,
    we follow sinds several months the suggestions from Grain Brain and Weath Belly and gues what. My husband lost 22 pounds, i lost 6 pounds. I am still convinced that eating no grains etc…, lots of vegetables, good fats, good proteins is a good way to inprove health. But know by reading Mark Hyman website and blog i release that i have to stop for a test all diary. I don’t drink milk but love cheese (oat), cappuchino with creme, yoghourt etc… Perhaps that is the reason why i don’t lose so many pounds.
    I will search for the books here in Belgium. So if i write some words wrong excuse me.
    Marina

24. Martha July 24, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Dr. Hyman seems to think that organic kefir and yogurt are ok in very small amounts. Why are these fermented dairy foods ok in small amounts? And why aren’t they ok for daily comsumption?

Clearly fermentation improves dairy enough for Dr. Hyman to deem it acceptable. What distinctions is he making? What are the differences?

25. andrea July 26, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

thanks for this post. it seems we’ve all been misled about the effects of dairy – but breaking it down scientifically seems to be the best way to view the problem. if it were true that dairy could prevent osteoporosis – for instance – than americans would have the lowest rates of that disease. but the truth is the opposite. what has been proven in numerous studies is that cow’s milk is not a suitable alternative to breast milk for infants. and looking at the whole milk conundrum biologically puts it in another light – ALL species of mammals are lactose intolerant by the time they reach adulthood, and no other species on earth consumes the milk of another species – except in extreme circumstances where other forms of sustenance aren’t available (snakes have been found sucking on cow’s udders when they can’t find other food, for example). so what makes us humans think we’re any different? the sad fact is that consumption of dairy and other animal products causes the body to leech calcium and other nutrients from our bones to correct the horrendous PH imbalances that come as a result. so drinking milk doesn’t do anything but further weaken our bones. that, and cause a whole host of other problems. when I finally gave up dairy five years ago, several good things happened. I became more sensitive to insulin (I’m a type 1 diabetic), my ear infections stopped (I used to get two or three a year, ever since I was a child), and my skin cleared up (I used to have horrible acne). now I know this is only anecdotal, but I believe that dairy consumption may have led to some of the health problems I have today – and it’s only been through eliminating dairy from my diet that any of these problems have cleared up.

26. Sarah Schlomer August 4, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

I have Interstitial cystitis. I swore off Dairy for 4 years. When I added it back into my diet I found bladder relief. I Only have the grass fed, non GMO, no preservatives kind. I can’t digest meat or grains and beans are an issue too. I agree that milk is a problem, but I believe that most of our “normal” foods are just awful for us and 90% of Americans will not go through the elimination diet to figure out what will and wont work for them. I did go through the hell that we call the elimination diet and I can honestly say I am still alive because of it. I am literal not figurative.

27. Sarah Schlomer August 4, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

I have Interstitial Cystitis. I went through the hell we know to be the Elimination Diet. I lived without Dairy products for 4 years. When I added Grass fed, Non GOM, Preservative free Dairy products back into my diet my bladder found relief. I also take vitamin D, but I also take A for proper vitamin D abortion. I fully agree with what Dr. Hyman has to say. Especially when he talks about our food pyramid. However, I believe it is best for people everywhere to go through the Elimination Diet. I truly believe 90% of our regular American diet is toxic. I am still alive because of this diet. I was way over weight and pissing blood for almost a full year before I found out that I had I.C. and had to go through the Elimination process.

28. Erica August 9, 2014 at 10:02 am #

As a patient with moderate interstitial cystitis, IBS, and allergies that get worse every year, I have been through many elimination diets- but the most obvious I have not yet tried- dairy! With IC, I need some non-acidic/bland substance in my diet or I end up in a flare. Thus far, almond milk has taken the place of milk. That has worked out wonderfully! But just now after reading this article, I realize that I’ve been consuming dairy in multiple other ways between cheeses, yogurt, and at restaurants. I am convinced I should give dairy-free a serious go. When I went gluten-free, it helped manage my flares and allergies much better than my diet prior. As a full time primary care nurse practitioner, I am very frustrated with Western medicine guidelines, and never say the empty lines “oh, just eat more fiber” or “just eat more grains” or “drink milk”- these vague phrases I still hear providers saying everywhere. From a provider standpoint, I have started advising any patients with GI disturbances/Chronic urinary disturbances to take a hard look at the diet, keep a food and voiding/elimination diary as well as eliminating gluten and dairy from the diet for several weeks and judge how they feel thereafter. Perhaps now it is time to take my own advice, commit to strictly dairy free, and observe for improvement! This article makes excellent points about the stagnation in recommended dietary changes from the western medicine standpoint particularly applying to patients with chronic inflammatory conditions that get little relief and tend to suffer more than others due to the ‘bigger picture’ never being shown to them. We must empower those with chronic inflammatory conditions to reach their maximum potential of health by understanding their unique body needs/habits/and abilities. Thanks for the push to make this change!

29. Colleen August 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Thank you for this article. I gave up all dairy almost 4 weeks ago. I have not had any dairy. My sinuses feel a tad worse and overall not feeling great. Is it normal to feel worse before you feel better? I’ve also reduced my sugar and gluten significantly. Thanks!

30. AK September 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Dairy free for almost 2 years. All my symptoms are gone (body ache, joint pains, headaches, sinus, allergies, sharp groin pains, and high cholesterol).

31. Hellui October 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

Hello, I would like to know what non-dairy brands you recommend, like which almond, soy-milk or yogurt and so… Because there are too many brands out there at the market, but obviously not any of them is a good choice, concerning sugars, chemicals, process methods, etc.

32. Arrows October 10, 2014 at 5:16 am #

I had a year of cancer problems throughout 2012 and changed my whole approach to food. Till then I’d been eating what I thought was healthy and certainly have always kept fit and quite lean. The changes I made included dropping all dairy (all except eggs), sugar other than naturally found in fruits and vegetables, all gluten containing products, as much processed foods as I can and red meat – all at once. Because of the rampant nature of my (then) cancer, I decided to treat the diet changes as ‘all or nothing’. I’ve substituted cows milk with rice milk though I hardly have any of that either. Fortunately I have a vegetarian wife who is an awesome cook so we eat a lot of great chic pea or lentil or vegetable based meals. It takes a while to learn and adapt but OMG what a difference it has made. I have lost some weight overall but I have a very different body composition now. Exercise is far more productive and even though I’m well into my 50’s, I am gaining muscle, improving running speed and flexibility and with no more effort than in the past (maybe less). And I’m healthy! No colds or cold sores (both previously frequent curses) and skin that is more youthful. I also have been a sufferer from ‘Grosvenors Disease’ which is a skin disorder where raised and itchy pimple like spots appear on the upper torso. Very hard to treat and with all my running, was a constant menace. With my new diet, one day about 6 months ago I realised I had no more evidence of the Grosevors Disease either and no sign since. I do eat a fair few eggs and nuts and am aware of the views on over eating on these from one health warning or other but my blood tests and other tests as part of my monitoring for cancer shows nothing but good results (excellent actually). Get rid of dairy other than eggs, get rid of sugar that is added to anything and get rid of gluten…those to me are the main killers.

33. Sarah October 21, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

I have been a vegetarian since I was a toddler. I am extremely healthy, but, I have been addicted to dairy for way too long. I decided to go vegan at age 39. WOW! I always assumed that I inherited my constantly runny nose from my Grandma (who always had handkerchiefs) and that nature made my right breast larger than my left. In two months, my nose stopped, my moodiness during my period went away, my skin cleared, and my breasts actually became the same size! I always thought I would have surgery to fix this one day! It was a miracle! My best friend who has a PHD and is a Hindu thought it was in my head. He convinced me to eat dairy again on our vacation to a national park. We were exercising allot and he convinced me I just lost weight and exercised the fat off, thus evening my breasts, ect. NO! We exercised allot, yet with dairy, my breast ballooned out to be larger OVER NIGHT, my body got covered in zits, my nose began to flow without warning, dripping like a faucet! I became super moody like I was a cow! My head hurt, I was tired, my breast felt as if it was being pulled down and it enraged me. Just like the American dairy industry is cruel to cows, I felt like one of those tortured cows. It was not in my head. I am miserable and detoxing now, and will never, ever, ever touch dairy again. I hope that it will not take me two more months to get my breasts to match and I hope it is not too late. It is serious and I do not think our generation has actually figured this out yet, but dairy ruins your breasts! It is real! I fixed mine, something that bothered me for decades, and then with one weekend of cheese, sour cream, milk, paneer, and butter, my body ruined again! I think people need to change and soon or we will all be huge, miserable, moody, cows! Literally! Vegan made me feel good, never get pms, have a perfect body and no gross nose slime! It is real……

34. April October 27, 2014 at 11:14 am #

I just want to comment as yet another person that can vouch about how much dropping dairy makes a difference in your life! Already a vegetarian, I never thought about dropping dairy before. Family and friends already made me feel like my diet was “weird” and “inconvenient.” However, I have always suffered from pimples, an irritable bowel, and frequent sinus infections. Following the birth of my first child, my husband and I found that she was very fussy. Unsatisfied with the brush-off answer of “must be colic,” we turned to my diet since I was exclusively breast feeding. Turns out mysterious “colic” is just a blanket statement for digestive upset. I completely eliminated all dairy (and soy eventually, too) and wow what a difference. It took about a month to see the full effect, but my daughter was no longer refluxing or crying all night long. My irritable bowel cleared up, I haven’t had a pimple since, and I have had zero sinus infections. My husband, an asthmatic who eliminated dairy with me, has had zero asthma attacks. Not to mention he’s lost weight and also has perfectly clear skin. Dairy-free is a real solution. Our culture doesn’t want to hear it, but dairy intake just isn’t healthy. Now I know there are people out there who argue that unpasteurized dairy is okay, but I haven’t tried it so I can’t speak for that. For now I’m just going to enjoy all the benefits of being dairy free.

35. Judi October 29, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

This may sound strange……I am a senior citizen and have had a hard time sleeping since I am a teenager then struggled each morning with brain fog. Just eliminating dairy for a few days did it! Now I sleep like a baby. I used to love my cheese but now….I love my sleep! I will never go back. Just one dinner with cheese and I can’t sleep that night.

36. S. Garrison November 1, 2014 at 7:20 am #

I gave up dairy and no more joint pain, no more ear problems, no more sleepless nights and I have a ton more energy! I do not miss it at all like I thought I would. I have tried to find almond milk or another kind of nut milk that I like but they all have carrageenan in them and I don’t think that is a good thing to be ingesting. Making your own almond milk is pretty easy but I can never seem to find the time.

37. Foolie November 6, 2014 at 4:41 am #

Why does milk contribute to type I DM?

38. Hichem December 19, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

I had problem with my turbinates and sinus since I was a kid. I always had problems breathing normally through my nose like other people. Instead I was breathing through my mouth. This was because my turbinates were inflated. I had a turbinate ablation when I was 22 and I felt better since then but I would say not completely normal, I still had a problem breathing normally because I felt a negative pressure in my Eustachian tube. The Doctor said there nothing much to do. One day I saw this conference and lecture done by a researcher on the dairy products and the potential harm that it can cause. Since then I decided to give it a shot and I stopped completely dairy conception even cookies are banned. It has been now 2 months and I never felt better I can breath normally through my nose I have more energy and I can focus better I am just not the same person I bless the researcher that gave that lecture on dairy he changed my life. I take rice milk and soy milk fortified to compensate for the Calcium and B12 vitamin, life is nice :)

39. Elizabeth Gilham January 1, 2015 at 6:35 pm #

Greetings from a big milk drinker. I’m 70 and was still drinking whole milk until I had a heart attack in 2014. Needless to say, I switched to fat free. My cardiologist says I have coronary artery disease.
    Had angioplasty and 2 stents in my right coronary artery; left c. artery 50% blocked. Ejection fraction within normal range, thank God. Effient and asperin every day.
    I am watching my diet pretty well. And improving my diet weekly, as fast as I can. Also finished cardiac-rehab and now do cardio 5 times a week for 30 minutes or more. I need to survive.
    No more ice cream, cakes, cookies, candy, Ding Dongs, Hostess cupcakes, Twinkies and sweetie stuff. The triglicerides got me, not my colesteral which was in normal range. From your article, I will also TRY to wean myself off milk in the hopes of reducing artery plaque. At the very least, I will reduce my dairy intake. I thought it was healthy. Should I still take calcium supplements; I take calcium citrate for ostopenia.
    We were taught in school that milk was the “Perfect Food.” So I thought my diet was right, but I guess we were taught milk consumerism in school. I those days tobacco industry employees also introduced cigarette smoking to teens and passed out free packages of cigarettes. Times have surely changed!
    Thanks for your studied advice. If you have any more wisdom for me, say on.

40. Carlos January 12, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

I agree with everything said. I had rosacea and dry patches of skin in my face. I experimented giving up all sugar,flavoured drinks etc and noticed a big difference.
    Then I gave up bread for a while,I was never a big eater either so it hasnt been difficult.
    So far so good but I still ahd to use a lot of cosmetics to keep my skin hydrated. Im 33 but Im very obsessed with looking younger. Most people think Im in my mid 20s.
    Lont story short,New year evening I decide IM gonna tae charge of my diet. I decide Im gonna cut dairy any type of bread and sugar all together.
    I also decide that Im gonna avoid pork.Yes there is a reason ny many religions bann it from diet.Do your own research.
    What do I eat? a delicious apple spinach celery beet shake in the morning. Then I eat a tablespoon of Ghee for some fats. I eat whatever food my family make.I have told them to use coconut oil,I have told them so many things but they refuse to listen.I see my mother ageinng so fast and still eating burguers beer wine bread white sugar…
    My brother is 10 years younger than me but I look younger.he keeps smoking,white sugar,bacon,whole milk..coffe..
    I hear them say things like” as long as you eat a bit of everything its all good” I think to myself how ignorant is that.!Like a bit of poison doesnt hurt right…but I dont want to fight all the time.
    I just know I look just like I did 15 years ago,not a single wrinkle,my hairline is the same,no grey hair,no belly.
    I eat vegetables fruits nuts eggs avocado coconut ghee spinach salmon honey(moderation).I still it pasta but no cheese or bread nor yoghurt.if you completely cut off sugar,wheat,bread,dairy pork and any processed salty food you are healthy

41. Laura Johnson January 15, 2015 at 9:54 pm #

I recently had a cancerous tumor removed along with my entire kidney. I’ve been re searching nutrition and found that milk is bad and causes cancer. What would you recommend for an alternative for people who have had cancer?
    38 year old female

42. Jacob January 17, 2015 at 10:22 pm #

Dr. I have switched from animal products especially diary and meats and I feel great and 10x stronger. My question is WHAT about FISH? IS it Safe?

43. A Dairy Enthusiasist January 28, 2015 at 5:28 am #

I disagree with you my 13 year old daughter drinks nothing but milk and never broke a bone, she has dairy cattle and after reading this was so mad due to your negativity toward the dairy industry.

44. calvin February 9, 2015 at 7:35 pm #

Please dont take this wrong. Some of your information isnt accurate. While some of it i agree with, a lot is hearsay with no actual or solid proof.

Nothern europeans developed a gene that allowed them to continue to comsume milk after the 2-5 year mark 7500 years ago. It actually gave them a survival advantage.

Please post links to actual studies and research papers.

45. OpionHated February 11, 2015 at 12:25 pm #

I think it is unfair to make the statement that milk is bad for you without first looking at its history as a food. In northern (and possibly southern) regions approaching the artic where leafy vegetables could not be grown and sunlight didn’t show up every day, milk was able to meet all the needs lost due to the aforementioned. People in these cultures practiced herding and milk (more often than cheese or yogurt) was a staple that over the years, allowed them to process it more effectively, later into their lives. Mid-latitudinal and equatorial cultures meanwhile either lost the ability to process lactose earlier or soon after breast-feeding, respectively as there was no need to continue consuming it.

Granted, with modern agriculture and UV lamps, one could argue that milk IS entirely unnecessary, but certain peoples do still have the prolonged ability to process milk, and it is quite beneficial to them. One additional thing to consider though, is that the source of milk may vary from culture to culture. Cows, goats, camels, bison, buffalo, etc. were all used to produce milk for human consumption and the reactions exhibited in people who consume them may vary by source, even if they are capable of processing lactose, due to differences in the makeup between producing species.

Here are some sources/additional info:

46. heather wells February 13, 2015 at 2:01 am #

I love eating dairy free. I was allergic to milk as a baby. When I was 3 my doctor told my parents to put me back on it, that I should have out grown the allergy. Now I never liked milk a whole lot but ate the heck out of cheese and of course ice-cream and well, most of my child hood life I suffered from chronic ear infections, stomach pain, allergies, break outs, bloating and weight issues..I would lose weight dieting in which I dut out or back dairy and then would gain some back. It was always a fight with 10 1bs. Lost 0 gain 5. I have also had 4 babies 2 sets with a 9 year gap between. I always ganed anywhere beween 40-60 lbs in each pregnancy and fought tooth and nail to lose it, I lost all my pre-prego weight after baby 2 by the time she was 5 only after cutting out sugars and again dairy when going low carb. I never linked the issues to dairy until.. In this last pregnancy I only gained 28 lbs. I had developed an aversion to milk that lasted until month 8 in which I became scared of not having enough calcium (I would picture my bones turning to dust and my teeth falling out), I began drinking milk again.. In month 8 I gained 12 of my 28 lbs. After I gave birth within 3 weeks I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight at 169. Then after I began drinking these diet shakes which required milk, I noticed I started becoming almost swollen, holding lots of fluid and 3 months after going to pre pregnancy weight, I had gained it all back to 195. After a fluke, I realized it was the dairy. I went on a plain yogurt binge for a week. I ate 3 bowls a day of the stuff with nothing else. I craved it like candy. One day, my stomach bloated to pregnancy size. It was so painful. The next day, it felt like someone hit me in my lower abdomen. It was as if I was bruised and the only thing I had really eaten a lot of all week was the yogurt. Now I also need to clarify my diet was clean except for the dairy. I am Gluten Free, sugar free, lots of greens, teas, grass fed beef and quality poultry’s and even the cheeses I ate were organic. Ok, so I quit dairy back in December cutting out everything but butter and withing 3 days felt better. My stuffed nose went away and felt like I could breath in deeper. The other day I got on a scale and had to take a triple take because it said I lost 28lbs. The most weight I lost after gaining it back was 5-10 which always came back. I feel amazing. Also, my Dad was a rancher who lived off of fresh milk not the pasteurized but really morning milked fresh. He was a stud! Fit as a fiddle with no health issue. However once the ranch was sold and he began buying grocery store milk, he too had battled weight, more bloating as he eats healthy but lots of dairy. he has fit arms and legs but a pot stomach and has had it since selling the farm when he was in his 20’s. I hope to convince him to drop milk and see if it is that.. We in Nevada have to go to California if we want unpasteurized goodness.

47. Sandy March 23, 2015 at 6:26 pm #

Is milk a trigger for rosacea?

48. cass March 25, 2015 at 12:40 am #

such a great read, thanks so much for the info. It is nice to read this advice from a professional rather then just hearing it from friends, it all is the same in the end I know but nice to know that someone who has studied for years has the same opinion. I am slowing going dairy free and finding it easy and hard. Milk was the easiest for me, I actually really love almond milk so that was lucky. I don’t mind not having most of the dairy products but I love cheese, I think it is going to be the hardest thing to give up, but slowly and surely I will get there.

I am going to this health retreat soon and I am super excited, they show you cooking tips etc so hoping to get some new skills from them, I read this article on their site which states similar things and from it i will never give my children milk either http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/6-things-happened-when-i-gave-dairy

So glad that there is so much advice out there on these sorts of things, thanks again!

49. Vincent Alvaro March 26, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

I am an avid cyclist and ride over 100 miles a week. My diet is very good, in fact basically what you advocate bit I use chocolate milk for my post ride refuel. What would you recommend in place.
    Thanks.

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff April 4, 2015 at 5:32 pm #

Hello Vincent,
      A snack containing approximately 10 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbohydrate will help you refuel after your ride. We recommend finding a whole foods bar that you like made with only nuts/seeds and dried fruit such as Lara bars as they are easy to carry and contain to additives or preservatives.

50. Jenn March 26, 2015 at 7:15 pm #

I am a true believer in the dairy free diet. I first went dairy free about 14 months ago after trying EVERYTHING ELSE for a “colicky” baby. I never believed it was colic bc he clearly screamed about 20-30 min after every feeding. The results were almost immediate. It took a few days to clear the dairy out of my system but my sweet baby’s screams stopped completely. Now that he is older if I cheat for a few days he will get incredibly congested…to the point that he is snoring like an adult man. I also tried to reintroduce the dairy for about a month and my little guy had 3 ear infections in that time. Never had one before or after.

I have started doing my own research and have learned many of the same things Dr. Hyman listed.

As a side benefit for the ladies I also went back to pre-baby… college weight!!! (Without trying at all). I’m 31 and haven’t been at my current weight since I was 24.

Question for Dr. Hyman- I give my little guy (unsweetened) coconut milk. Any specific reason you suggest almond?

51. Jo Oliphant March 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm #

Dear Dr. H,

I suffer from a genetic skin disorder called hidradenitis suppurativa. I’m a stage 3 which is the worst. Twenty-six surgeries worth of the worst and skin grafting to try and treat it. About 4 years ago I decided I was done with surgery and decided to try a nutritional approach to treating my disease. I lost 65 pounds and felt great except for the skin disorder. It improved but not enough to satisfy me. A year ago I went to see my surgeon yet again and she gave me your name and told me that dairy was a huge cause of inflammation and a common allergen. I googled you and started reading still thinking that I couldn’t be allergic to dairy. I had consumed it in vast quanities since I was a child, I loved the stuff. Not my precious dairy say it isn’t so! As I kept reading your posts and later your books the puzzle pieces began to fall into place. 5 months ago I did the 10 day detox diet and went completely dairy free. It was quite an adjustment but I was determined to rule it out once and for all. Well what do you know my skin disorder calmed right down and has played nice for the most part ever since. It’ll never go away completely given that its genetic, but it’s a million miles from where it used to be. Needless to say I have sworn off dairy completely exept for 2 times a year. I have a complete weekness for lobster bisque and cream brulee`.

52. Rodger March 27, 2015 at 9:46 am #

A little over a year ago I talked to a bodybuilder that is a trainer asking how to get a little more cut so I could see my abs. The first thing he told me was to cut out dairy and that it was bad for you but couldn’t tell me why. I couldn’t believe it. I started researching and saw the statistic about increased risk of prostate cancer by 50% for men and also about it NOT helping strengthen your bones but instead weakening them. That’s when I realized the dairy industry promoted dairy as healthy to make more sales. I cut out dairy and am now 12% bodyfat and can see my abs. I also noticed that I don’t feel bloated and my stomach feels flat more often. Occasionally I have a bowl of cereal with milk but that’s about it. I kind of feel like that’s the same as having 3 alcoholic drinks per week. Moderation or once in awhile shouldn’t hurt, as long as it’s not a daily ritual.

I use an all vegan protein that is pretty pure made from cranberry,peas and rice as a supplement. It’s from Arbonne. I started using this because I’ve also heard bad things about whey and soy which are what most protein supplements are. I found some info online confirming about whey but it seems it’s mixed on whether soy is bad. I stopped using whey protein and noticed compared to the vegan protein it would make me feel bloated as well. There are also hardly any ingredients in the vegan protein so I feel like it’s healthier.

What can you tell me about whey and soy and if they are something to avoid? I would be interested in your opinion especially since my brother has had soy all his life since he is highly allergic to milk. Milk on his skin gives him a rash and if he drinks it he will have an anaphylactic reaction.

Thanks for keeping us informed on what is really healthy!

53. deborah b March 27, 2015 at 6:00 pm #

ive been having a problem with a mysterious ” rash ” on my eyebrows, forehead, cheek etc… It was itchy, came and went within minutes. Several dermatologists later and prescriptions later, nothing helped. Finally, I found an article by a woman with similar issues. Although anecdotal, her experience led me to get off milk completely. Ten days later, my symptoms are 90% gone. I included grains and corn I that elimination and it worked!!! No more IBS either!!! Thank you doc!!!!!

54. Izaak March 30, 2015 at 2:58 am #

Hi thanks for posting. Very much informative and you have clearly depicted the reason why diary product must be reduced.I too have some info that will be useful for your readers who are trying to find benefits of almond milk.

55. Frank Savoy April 11, 2015 at 11:02 am #

I agree 1000% for the reason being i have been saying that dairy is bad you MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE. Im 30 years of age and when i played football in HS and College, i saw many injuries. I used to ask my teammates who a bone fracture or break, that if they drink milk and they all said YES. When i was 16 years of age and i got hit by a car and 80mph while i was on a bicycle.I died for 8 minutes however i did not have one broken bone in my body. i do not eat ice cream, drink milk barely any dairy. the only time i like it is when it come to cheese and i ONLY like 2 type of cheeses. Mozzrella (HOMEMADE FROM SCRATCH) and Aged Parmasean. I am posting this because i just want to know does the aging process of cheese make it better for you? Im am super duper picky and i do not like dairy at all. I use milk to make pancakes or waffles and i use the cheese either for pizza or pasta. From my perspective i think cooking with milk breaks down all the BS that causes these complications from dairy.