A New Era of Medicine Has Finally Arrived

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE a diagnosis doesn’t mean you know what’s really wrong with you! Don’t believe that? I didn’t used to, either! As a doctor, I was trained to believe that all people with the same diagnosis were the same.

That means, I thought that one person’s asthma was the same as someone else’s asthma and that depression was the same in everyone. That made my job pretty easy — once I made the diagnosis, all I had to do was match the pill to the ill, the drug to the disease.

What’s wrong with this approach? When doctors practice medicine this way, we end up treating the NAME of a disease — not the CAUSE. The truth is, everyone is different, even people with the same diagnosis.

Take a group of people with the same condition — let’s say depression. That group might be depressed, but they may have 10 different causes for it. How does conventional medicine treat this group? Everybody gets an antidepressant — and that’s that. But that’s not how I practice medicine. The way I see it, if there are ten different causes for depression in that group, we need ten different treatments.

So one person might need fish oil to help his brain work better, while another might have a vitamin B12,  folate or vitamin D deficiency, another might have a poorly functioning thyroid gland, another might have mercury toxicity — and so on and so on.

Here’s another way to think about it:

Imagine that you’re standing on a tack. How would you treat the pain? The obvious answer is that you’d take the tack out of your foot. You wouldn’t just keep taking aspirin until it felt better. But that’s exactly how most doctors treat illness!

If you have depression, you can take all the antidepressants you want, but if your sluggish thyroid isn’t treated or your vitamin B12 level isn’t restored to optimal, you won’t get FULLY healthy. Now imagine that you’re standing on two tacks. Removing one of them doesn’t make you 50 percent better.

You have to find and remove ALL of the tacks if you want to feel better. So that means that if you’re depressed, you could have low thyroid, a B12 deficiency, and three other reasons for depression — and they all need to be addressed. Plus, just one CAUSE can create 10 or more different diseases.

For example, if you have the gene that causes celiac disease (an intolerance to gluten), it can show up as nearly 100 different diseases — from kidney failure to osteoporosis to iron deficiency to hypothyroidism to rheumatoid arthritis to psoriasis to chronic fatigue and so on.

Most doctors will prescribe the right drug for the kidney disease, osteoporosis, iron deficiency, or hypothyroidism. But treating all those conditions individually doesn’t take the “tack” out of your foot — and the cause of your problems won’t be solved.

So if you’re taking a drug that just masks your symptoms but doesn’t treat the underlying problems, you may feel better for awhile — but the disease keeps progressing. It’s like having a broken ankle. If you take enough pain medication and produce enough adrenalin, you could run on that ankle — but the ankle won’t heal. That’s how modern medicine treats disease!

It’s been said that, “The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents, and the oceans was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge.” The same can be said for medicine. What we think we know about disease just isn’t working.

That’s why we are at a crossroads, where the old ideas we have about disease and diagnosis become less meaningful as we understand more and more about the importance of individual differences in determining illness.

In fact, we are at a time in medicine where the old ideas are rapidly becoming obsolete.  The new medicine says the world is round, while the old medicine says the world is flat. It’s clear where we’re headed. This a time when personalized medicine will replace medicine based on diagnosis and disease.

In fact, disease and diagnosis as we know it will soon be an obsolete concept — just like blood-letting or phrenology (the art of diagnosis based on the shape of your skull). Doctors treat obesity now just like they treat disease – a simple knee-jerk reaction that says, “Well, just eat less and exercise more”.

In fact, it’s much more complicated than that as many of you reading this probably already know, which is precisely why I wrote UltraMetabolism — to address ALL 7 of the major underlying causes of obesity so you can address them. Treating patients this way is the basis of all of my work.

Take, for example, the story of a patient who had a diagnosis of dementia and came with his wife to see me because he could no longer manage his business affairs, had become increasingly unable to function at home, and had to withdraw from family and social relationships.

He was desperate as he felt himself slipping away. Let me give you a little background. There is no effective known treatment for dementia.  But we do know a lot about what affects brain function and brain aging: our nutrition, vitamins, omega-3 fats, hormonal deficiencies, inflammation, environmental toxins, stress, and exercise.

Our genes have also been found to contribute to dementia. It is not one gene, but the interaction between many genes and the environment that puts someone at risk for a chronic disease such as dementia. We also know that many things affect how our genes function — our diet, vitamins and minerals, toxins, allergens, stress, lack of sleep, exercise, and more.

Even though no long-term studies have yet been done looking at treating dementia based on genes, there are so many scientific threads that weave together a picture of how and why our brains age and what genes are involved. That’s why I felt confident treating this man — whose mind and life were evaporating — by addressing his genes.

To do so, I looked deeply into his genes and the biochemistry they controlled and found places we could improve things. For starters, he had a gene called Apo E4 that is a high-risk gene for Alzheimer’s disease and also made it hard for him to lower his cholesterol and detoxify mercury from his brain.

He also had a version of a gene for detoxification of metals and other toxins (glutathione-S-transferase) that was very inefficient, making him accumulate more toxins over his lifetime. He had another gene called MTHFR that made him require very high doses of folate to lower his blood levels of homocysteine, a substance that’s very toxic to the brain.

Lastly, he had a gene called CETP that caused his cholesterol to be high, which also contributes to dementia. But that wasn’t all. I also found that he had high levels of mercury, a toxic metal that affects brain health. So how did I treat this patient?

First, I helped him detoxify by asking him to eat foods such as kale, watercress, cilantro and take herbs such as milk thistle, nutrients such as selenium and zinc, and medications that helped him overcome his genetic difficulties getting rid of toxins.

I helped him lower his cholesterol with diet and herbs. And he lowered his homocysteine with high doses of folate. What happened? Well, after a year of aggressive therapy that was matched to his particular imbalances, genes, and causes of his symptoms — NOT  his diagnosis — he had a remarkable and dramatic recovery.

Let me remind you of what this patient had been like before. Before I saw him, he could not manage his business. His grandchildren didn’t even want to be around him. But after we matched his treatment to his genes, he was again able to function — and his grandchildren again loved being with him.

I have no doubt that this treatment changed my patient’s life — and that this way of viewing disease is the new way of practicing medicine. This area of personalized medicine, genetic testing, and nutrigenomics is new, and more research is needed. But it’s clear that it’s also an exciting way of looking at disease that’s worth exploring.

Here’s how:

1. Do your homework. You may need to do some research into your disease yourself. Good resources include government and organization websites that end in “.gov” or “.org.”

2. Enlist your doctor. Ask him or her to help you go beyond your symptoms by ordering tests that can help identify root problems. Remember there are ways to find the cause – almost all diseases have a few fundamental causes, namely toxins, infections, allergens, diet, lifestyle, and stress. Be a detective.

3. Consider finding an expert. You may have to search for a doctor who can think differently and address the causes of disease.  Many doctors have now been trained in functional medicine — not a new specialty, but a new way of thinking about health that addresses the individual genetic, environmental, and lifestyle causes of disease.

4. Read up. I recommend The Textbook of Functional Medicine, which lays down these principles for practitioners.

Remember, if you have a diagnosis, you don’t necessarily know what’s wrong with you. But there are ways to look through new doors into an entirely new era of medicine that no longer focuses on the disease, but on the person and their uniqueness.

As William Osler, the father of 20th century medicine, said, “It is more important to treat the person who has the disease, than the disease that the person has.”

Now I’d like to hear from you:

Do you have any experiences working with doctors who were able to dig deep and find the root causes of your problem?

Have you been frustrated working with doctors who only treated the symptoms of your “disease” rather than giving you a treatment customized to your own body’s needs?

Do you have any other suggestions for how to get to the root causes of medical issues that you’ve found worked for yourself?

How else can we help to change the current medical paradigm so doctors can be trained in this new type of personalized medicine rather than conventional medicine (which, although very effective at treating acute conditions, has proven to be ineffective at treating chronic problems)?

Please share your thoughts by adding a comment below.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

38 Responses to A New Era of Medicine Has Finally Arrived

1. richard richards February 26, 2011 at 10:39 am #

your web cite put me on the correct path, thankyou doctor
    p.s. i posted your teachings on my facebook

• Susan Fox September 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

If only we could get insurance companies to pay for the vitamins, herbs, and diagnosis that comes with functional medicine. Now that would really be something.

2. richard richards February 26, 2011 at 10:41 am #

your web cite put me on the correct path, thankyou doctor
    p.s. i posted your teachings on my facebook wall

3. Sally Irizarry February 26, 2011 at 11:31 am #

I live in Houston, Texas and can find no doctors who treat the whole person as you do. My son is currently in his first year of residency and was trained as one disease, one pill. This is so sad. What would help me is a listing of blood tests and what they test for and why and what their results mean so that I could work with my doctor to have tests performed and be treated as a very individual patient. I know that I will have to request – firmly – that the tests be done and that they likely will not be paid by my insurance, but my health is the only concern.

4. Ruth February 26, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Great, GREAT article. I’m starting to learn relatively late in life the affect of lifestyle, diet and nutrition has in my physical well-being, but I AM learning and putting into practice what I have learned. WOW! There is so much! I run into resistance even from those who “supposedly” are in the know about living a healthy lifestyle. Oh, well! I’ll just keep on with what I’m doing. If I’m wrong, at least I tried!

Thank you, Dr. Hyman, for you work, and please keep educating me.

Ruth A.

5. Sally Irizarry February 26, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I live in Houston and can find no doctors who treat the whole, individual person. What would help is a listing of blood tests, why the are performed and what the results mean. I could then work with my doctor to have these tests done. Without that knowledge I have no place from which to start.

Mark Hyman, MD May 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

Thank you, Sally, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

6. Jim Barger DC February 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Excellent article Dr. Hyman! I could not agree more. The vast majority of patients coming in to me also seem to have underlying lifestyle issues that affect their neck and back pain complaints that I see as a chiropractor. The standard american diet (SAD) that lead to their chronic issues of high blood pressure, diabetes and body aches needs a much more comprehensive answer than just a label of hypertension, type two diabetes and osteoporosis, so take some Lipitor , Metformin and Boniva. I , like you, try to get people to take more control of their own health. With the new paradigm of functional medicine, perhaps we can also get some of this crises in health care under control too!

7. N.Ravindran February 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Dr. Hyman,

How does an aspiring medical student go about getting trained in “Functional Medicine” ?

Thanks,

NNR

8. Laurel Burnham February 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Hi Mark: first of all, thanks very much for the work that you share with all of us out here in cyberspace. I have recently had my own dance with breast cancer and I have been quite successful embracing the conventional treatment, the full catastrophe of surgery,chemo and radiation, and my own pursuit of radical change in diet,regular yoga practise (even on days with chemo) and meditation, visualizations, & relexation…the anti cancer mindset. I received my diagnosis on Earth Day last year! My health is actually better now than before my diagnosis, my bloodpressure, etc., etc. But my overall impression is that we have these amazing mindbodies, these untapped capacities for healing and regeneration, and yet we are using the technology like blunt instruments, bashing away at people to “cure” them. No one ever asked me what I ate, where I grew up ….because there is no time and no space within the conventional medical modalities to ask those questions nor to deal with the answers. I do foresee a day when treatment is individualized, when we stop treating something like cancer as an infectious disease, when it clearly is not. Something about understanding the conversations in the body, between the cells and how to improve the internal communications is what I see coming. We’re going to have to change. There is a tsunami of sickness coming our way, unfortunately. Keep up the good work.

9. Pat February 27, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I have had many frustrating experiences with doctors who said my symptoms were psychosomatic and ‘an attention-getting technique’. With the help of some of your books, and information from websites on chemical sensitivity, I learned the elimination technique – that is, eliminate a whole bunch of things at once for 4 – 6 weeks and then try one at a time to see if I have a reaction. By significantly lowering my chemical exposure at home and in my food, and by eliminating some foods (gluten is a big one for me) I have a new lease on life. I have also combined avoidance with acupuncture, shiatsu and neuro modulation technique to reset some of my body’s reactions.

10. Lily Estella February 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

I would like guidance into more deeply researching WHO Stage 3 rhabdoid meningiomas. I am currently undergoing radiation treatments for a small piece of the tumor that my surgeon was unable to remove.

Mark Hyman, MD May 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Thank you, Lily, for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Your question and constellation of symptoms represents a complex medical condition. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

If you would like information on becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center please see “How to Become a Patient” at http://www.ultrawellnesscenter.com. That site is designed to give prospective patients a comprehensive source of information about The UltraWellness Center. You may also feel free to call The UltraWellness Center at (413) 637 9991.

Regardless of becoming a patient at The UltraWellness Center, it sounds like you need to consult with a doctor. Please seek medical attention for the issues that you outlined in your message.

11. Edgar Portisch March 2, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Dear Dr. Hyman,
    I would not write if I hadn´t been personal witness and self-prescribing patient to the real root-causes adressed directly by mms 1 and mms 2, of Jim Humble origin. There are no real cures for a variety of viruses, some bacteria are difficult to combat (costing lots of money) and malaria is seldom eradicated 100% in the blood. Mms does this. I myself got rid of a 25 year chronic degenerative hepatitis C, with two spells of mms drops, first over three weeks, then another two weeks. If that is not “adressing the root causes”, then I don´t know. Of course there is a campaign against this supplement as it means billions of losses for the pharma industry. I do hope that you would at least consider this remedy, it´s on time, now.

12. Iris Tims March 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

WOW, be well information……….Thank you.

13. charlie wright March 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Hi Dr. Hyman.
    Thank you for providing much needed services. Regarding increasing Glutathione levels, have you ever tried using the MaxOne product developed by Dr.s’ Nagasawa and Keller? And if so, what results did you observe?

14. Annie Nolan May 3, 2011 at 10:26 am #

I have been on and off antidepressant meds for 20+ years. And on a rollercoaster I want to get off. I need a doctor like you to get me off medication and on the right plan of action with a support system to help!

Mark Hyman, MD May 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. To locate a practitioner of functional medicine in your area see the “Find a Functional Medicine Practitioner” link at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website. Here you will find a place to enter your zip code and look for practitioner’s in your area that have completed the institute’s five-day training course in functional medicine. Understand that not all of the doctors listed here will fit your particular needs. Many different medical professionals complete this training, and you will have to do additional research on your own regarding a particular practitioner’s approach and whether or not it fits your specific medical requirements. This may include calling the practioner’s office, visiting his or her website, and/or scheduling a consultation.

15. Michelle August 12, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

Hi,
    My 5 year old son has type 1 diabetes and is being treated with insulin shots. I have read everything you wrote about type 2 diabetes but is there hope for type 1.

Michelle

16. Jurene October 3, 2011 at 11:35 am #

What a brilliantly simple way to describe the deeply flawed way we approach the treatment of disease. I’m going to read this until I have it memorized.

Question: Is nutrigenomics technically considered part of the field of epigenetics?

17. Phil Faris October 3, 2011 at 11:40 am #

Thanks for the tack anaologies and helpful guidelines. I’m a firm believer that we need to be proactive in our own health care. Our health challenges may not be our fault be ir is our responsibility. Your posts, website and books are great resources for arming people with the information they need to engage doctors in discussions about treatment options. Keep up the good work.

Phil

18. peggy bohler October 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Thank you. After a heart attack and 5 stents I was only told to watch my salt and fat intake — then I found a doctor (accidentally? when I ended up in ER) who introduced me to Caldwell Esselstyn Jr and his Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease program plus other doctors research including T Colin Campbell and The China Study and others. I am now eating “plant based” diet and feel better – I am looking forward to finding out via tests that this is indeed working to reverse my heart disease. I have congestive heart failure, asthma, bronchiectasis, bone thinning, and I am HOPING that this lifestyle change will help me in over all health. I only wish I had known a lot of this years ago. I was raised to eat “all the wrong foods” (my words) such as fried, fried, fried foods and gravy, etc. It is difficult to find doctors who are not knee jerk pill pushers and it is frightening. Thank you for this article. I am printing it out and sharing hard copy as well as my facebook page. We will change – one doctor at a time. Thank you.

19. Susan October 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

I agree 150% with your approach, Dr. Hyman. I was diagnosed with a severe case of Intesntial Psuedo Obstruction, and my doctors didin’t have much to offer beyond hope, a feeding tube and meds for my symptoms. I said “no” to all that, and found the root cause of my problem through functional medicine. I healed through diet therapy, supplements, yoga, acupuncture and chiropractic. I could not eat before, and now I can. And I didn’t take pharmaceuticals. Food was my medicine. I write a blog to try and help others understand how importnat diet is to health. http://www.swimupstream.blogspot.com

Thanks for all you do.

20. elaine December 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

I believe in your way of treating disease 100%. It is very frustrating dealing with doctors who treat only with drugs. However, the roadblock to more people getting well through functional medicine is the cost. I think doctors like you should have a sliding scale to accomodate people who don’t have alot of money.

21. Lou July 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

I wish I could find a doctor in the St. Louis area with a similar approach to heath. I have generalized anxiety and seasonal depression and have worked hard to have a very clean diet, which has not really helped, but has greatly improved my overall heath. However, I still can’t function without medication. There’s got to be another way…

22. Catherine July 24, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Thank you for publishing this article. I am a D.C. student and your views reflect everything I believe in. The dz may be similar to each individual but the cause is different. Instead of masking the symptoms, you need to unveil the cause of it to address the root of the problem.

Well done!

23. Karen July 25, 2012 at 9:12 am #

I was diagnosed with Severe Fibromyalgia. I keep telling my doctors that I don’t believe that Fibro is my problem that whatever is causing Fibro is my problem…If they could just find the underlying issues then the Fibro would be gone.

What I can’t wrap my brain around is the MANY blood tests that they have done and won’t address the tests that come back as “abnormal” because (and I quote their words) “it’s only slightly over the “normal” limit so not enough to worry about.” WHAT? There are normal and abnormal ranges for a reason and who is to say that only being 3 digits over the normal range is nothing to worry about? How does the doctor KNOW that in your particular case that those 3 digits make all the difference in the world? Everyone reacts differently so I do not understand that stance doctors take when they say “it’s not abnormal enough to justify further testing.” At what point???

24. Chad August 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I like the concept of personalized medicine and of locating cause(s) rather than treating symptoms. One important implication of this principle, which Dr. Hyman doesn’t seem to consider, is that person-centred care requires stepping out of a reductionist biomedical standpoint. His discussion of depression as having strictly biological causes was a demonstration of his own form of narrow attention. A “person” is more than their biology, as I think the William Osler quote was suggesting. Surely biology has a definite part to play, but taking the person as a whole includes recognizing the other parts of our world that cause and are affected by illness. Where is the psychosocial in Dr. Hyman’s model? Where is the sociological? E.g., the single most important factor in predicting morbidity and mortality across the globe, according to psychiatrist Dr. Arthur Kleinman, is poverty…not a psychological, not a biological, but a socio-economic, factor (to be fair these are all interconnected, but the difference is in where we direct our attentions for treating/intervening on illness). A whole person focus would try to account for and address biological, psychosocial, and more social structural aspects of illness, not just a person’s genes. Dr. Hyman himself recognized that even neurological illnesses have an “environmental” influence to them. What I find most problematic in much medical intervention is the unwillingness to step beyond the biomedical, and to be fair again that requires entering fields of knowledge doctors are never quite unfamiliar nor comfortable with. But it is feasible and necessary, as demonstrated by certain physicians who are also dissatisfied with the status quo in medicinal practice (Dr. Kleinman’s whole-person psychiatric care and physician Dr. Rita Charon). For the third time, to be fair these practitioners do what most cannot or will not do…they have attained advanced degrees in medicine as well as in the social sciences or humanities (which, they argue, help them to preserve the humanity of their patients as well as more effectively treat their illnesses). Certainly, as Dr. Hyman points out, sharing knowledge and collaborating with experts in different fields (and not just in biomedical fields) is perhaps a more practical and important possibility (for those who don’t want to spend half their lives in university). This effort, to me, would truly represent personalized medicine.

25. Dan C. September 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Thanks Doc. I think one of the things that needs to be addressed is that many people have no baseline for when they actually felt “good”. I know I don’t. When a doctor asks, “How long have you had these symptoms?” I have to make up an answer, because most of the symptoms have been with me as long as I can remember (poor memory being a symptom, also). Thus, I think your “Ultramind” type of solutions need to be applied first, for everyone (your other previous notes on the healthcare system problems apply here) in order to get as many people healthy as possible, then we can set some new baselines for practitioners to look for, such as toxins in the environment, effects of even low doses of chemicals on protein folding and nerve conduction, as well as new baselines for optimal vitamin and mineral levels (rather than the old ones based on acute symptoms).

26. Jody September 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

My daughter Terri Fawcett, has been in muchpain for 5 1/2 years. She has been to many doctors but cannot get a diagnosis. They prescribed prednisone, methotrexate, plaquinil, celebrex & lyrica. She is on all of them & still is in pain. She went to a functional medicine M.D. & is still not being helped. I surely wish you were working, because I believe you could get to the bottom of her problems & find a way for her to be healed. What can she do???

27. Cheryl September 17, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

Bought The Ultrasimple Diet book in mid-June. Did the preparation week getting myself off of sugar, gluten, transfats, caffine, etc. Worked my way into the diet over the next couple of weeks and have been basically following it since. August 24th I had my annual physical. My cholesterol went from 205, 210, 199 over the past 3 years to 172 this year. My weight went from 142 to 130 since mid-June. (I’m 5’6″.) My blood pressure went from 141/84 to 120/73. Best part was I fit into a size 4 dress for a family wedding and got tons of compliments. I love those UltraShakes … I could drink them for every meal! And the Ultrabaths are a real kick-starter when you reach that “plateau”.

I see the world around me in a whole new light! Thanks for your great work!

28. Dr.Akoury September 26, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Love the information in this blog! Supplements vitamins and minerals are crucial to overall well-being. Certain supplements and food help prevent diseases and treat them. Please check out all of the amazing variety of supplements we have at awaremed.com located in Myrtle Beach SC!

AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center

29. Stephanie April 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Wonderful and informative article. Hopefully the medical world is catching up on functional medicine and treating the person rather than the disease!
    What I personally find frustrating is that so many doctors and articles focus on weight loss. I live with gastroparesis (GP) and digestive tract dysmotility, among 5 million in the U.S alone. Most of us suffer from weight loss and struggle to find a healthy way to maintain it. The typical diet recommended is a low residue – low fat, low fiber, and mostly white foods.
    It would be great to see more awareness about these digestive disorders and hear thoughts from the functional medicine experts. I do everything I can by writing a blog, supporting others there and on Facebook, in addition to holding an annual Awareness Walk for GP to raise funds for research. Our community would love for Dr. Hyman to address this issue!

Thanks for all you do,
    Stephanie

30. Jo Ann Moore April 17, 2013 at 10:20 am #

I was diagnosed with a bladder condition- Interstitial Cystitis. I was placed on Emeron and told by my urologist I would have to take this drug the rest of my life. My doctor who I love and who introduced me to The Blood Sugar Solution and Dr Hyman, performed food allergy tests. We found that my number one allergy was eggs. I stopped eating eggs and my bladder condition disappeared. I have not taken any medication in over 3 years without symptoms. I have also been pre-diabetic for many years. I thought since my mother and my sister had adult onset diabetes I was doomed to develop the disease. After reading the Blood Sugar Solution and reading that with diet I can change my DNA- I was overjoyed. I have changed to a clean healthy diet as recommended and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I also feel empowered to change the course of my health and my life! Thank you Dr. Hyman.

31. Palmer March 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Great article. I have had autoimmune problems since my late 20s and never even considered food allergies and gluten intolerance as a contributing factor. I’ve been soy and gluten free for over 2 years now.