Dr. Hyman’s Omega-3 Levels

WE HAVE ALL HEARD about the importance of healthy fats. The old “Eat fat, gain fat” paradigm is giving way to a new, more nuanced understanding of dietary fat. The evidence is in–some fats are essential for optimal health. And the king of the good fats are the omega-3’s. Unfortunately, approximately 99 percent of Americans are deficient in these critical fats. Recently, on The Dr. Oz Show, I discussed a revolutionary new home test you can take that provides you with a complete assessment of your fatty acid profile. I sent an email to many of you about this test as well. In fact, I was so excited about the test, I decided to take it myself. I thought I’d share my own results for those of you who are interested. Check them out here. The levels of omega-3 fats in your body are a key predictor that illustrates your risk of:

• Heart disease
  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Neurological problems
  • Mood disorders
  • Skin problems
  • Arthritis
  • And much more …

I encourage all of you to take this test and see what your fatty acid levels are. If you are deficient, there are some simple interventions you can take that will be explained in the results email you receive from my nutritionists. Along with those recommendations you will get a complete breakdown of your fatty acid profile in simple terms anyone can understand. I hope you take this opportunity to move toward optimal health.

Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below–but remember, we can’t offer personal medical advice online, so be sure to limit your comments to those about taking back our health!

14 Responses to Dr. Hyman’s Omega-3 Levels

1. Barry C April 2, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Do you have an opinion on Omega 3 fish oil supplements? Krill oil or regular Fish Oil. I hear Krill is better?

thx

2. victor June 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Hello!
    i’ve read this:

Foods high in polyunsaturated fats, such as soybean, corn, sunflower, or safflower oils hurt you in more ways than one. Apparently these omega-6 fatty acids, when eaten in excess, can reduce your body’s ability to metabolize the beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.

it is true?

thanks

Dr. Hyman Nutrition Staff June 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Hi Victor,

To some extent eating vegetable based polyunsaturated fatty acids can pose a risk as they are fragile and lend themself towards rancidity and oxidation. It is best to use them at low heat or no heat and focus on monounsaturated fats (avocado, olives etc.) and omega 3 (walnuts, flax, salmon, sardines etc.)

3. kim December 8, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Is the fish oil that you recommend above, molecularly distilled to remove the impurities (heavy metals)?

4. Bruce Johnsen December 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Hi Mark,

There have been news items of late referring to some studies coming out showing that fish oil supplements are not

beneficial. What is your opinion on this. I am continuing to take my 1500 mg EPA/DHA fish oil daily until I hear from you.

I hope that this will still be OK because I am not a seafood person.I occasionally have salmon but do take 2 tablespoons

of Flax Seed Meal daily.

Bruce

5. Ronald W. Gumbs January 6, 2013 at 6:31 am #

What is the total amount of omega 6 and omega 3 fats does Dr. Hyman consume daily to achieve the desirable omega 3 index?

6. JD January 6, 2013 at 9:07 am #

My doctor has prescribed Lovaza, 1 capsule 2x/day Is this sufficient or should I add another source? Also it is VERY expensive….

• Profile photo of HymanStaff
      HymanStaff January 24, 2013 at 1:14 am #

Thank you for your message and your interest in Dr. Hyman’s work. Questions regarding conditions like these cannot be answered in a responsible manner via the Internet.

7. Maria March 17, 2013 at 10:36 am #

I’ve been taking omega 3 fish oil for years and I swear by it. It not only benefits us physically but emotionally too. Unfortunately, the western diet has become too high in omega 6 and too low in omega 3. At least this article is helping to educate people and readdress this problem.

8. Profile photo of Vinny
    Vinny July 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

What do you think about this whole fish oil scare thing.. for years..everyone saying we need to take tit for our heart..and now they saying it boosts ur prostate cancer risk
    Thanks