Sometimes the best ideas are the most simple.
In an age where technology is ever-evolving and often responsible for the latest inventions, it can be easy to forget that even the most basic of ideas can add up to massive change.
But it’s accessible, small steps that our food system needs now, more than ever, if we want to see a global shift. Food waste, in particular, is one of the biggest problems of our food system that desperately needs new solutions.
Think of just one head of lettuce: It takes lots of water, manpower, and resources to grow, then it’s picked and transported in a refrigerated truck, moved to a refrigerated cooler, and you take your car to go to the market and buy it. That’s a lot of resources that are all for nothing if that head of lettuce goes bad and gets thrown in the trash before you have a chance to enjoy it.
Today’s guest on The Doctor’s Farmacy has the answer for this common problem, one that is making huge impacts on our food system from farm to fork.
Kavita Shukla is the Founder and CEO of The FRESHGLOW Co. and the inventor of FreshPaper, a simple innovation taking on the massive global challenge of food waste by keeping food fresher, longer. FreshPaper is used by farmers and families across the globe, and The FRESHGLOW Co. has partnered with some of the largest retailers in the world, from Whole Foods to Walmart so that people everywhere can take advantage of this incredible product and the goodness of real food.
Here’s more of what you can expect on this week’s episode:
- How Kavita’s visit to see her grandmother at the age of 12 inspired her to learn about the power of spices and botanicals (3:00)
- Why Kavita began using paper as the material for preserving produce (7:10)
- How FreshPaper works and its journey from a local farmers’ market to being sold in hundreds of stores in the U.S. and globally (8:30)
- Making fresh produce more accessible (16:30)
- Why food waste is such a big problem and how reducing waste makes fresh produce more affordable (19:40)
- Inserting FreshPaper into various stages of the produce supply chain (29:54)
- Protecting the nutritional density and taste of produce (34:57)
- How food waste contributes to climate change and how our individual actions can make an impact (45:35)
- Why Kavita is optimistic about the future of reducing food waste (51:45)
- The importance of highlighting female entrepreneurs and CEOs (57:53)
- Follow FreshGlow on Instagram @freshglowco and on Facebook @freshglowco.
Try Fresh Paper and take 30% off your order by visiting freshglow.co and entering the code FRESHFORALL at checkout.
I know you’ll be as inspired by her story as I am, I hope you’ll tune in.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD