There’s a certain stigma around mental illness, one that can, unfortunately, keep people from feeling empowered that they can change their brain health and get the care they truly need.
But think about it—would we ever shame someone with cancer, autoimmunity, or dementia for needing help? Of course not.
Unfortunately, the past methods of treating mental health disorders didn’t actually look at what was happening inside the brain. It was a guessing game based on symptoms without knowing the real cause, location, or severity of the imbalance. The good news is that now, with technology like brain scans, we can get a clear picture of what is happening in the brain to get real solutions.
My guest on this week’s episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, Dr. Daniel Amen, has been paving the way for a new type of psychiatry, looking at the actual brain and using an integrative approach to prevent disease and successfully treat it.
The Washington Post called Dr. Daniel Amen the most popular psychiatrist in America and Discover Magazine listed his brain imaging research as the top neuroscience story for 2015. He is a double board-certified psychiatrist and ten-time New York Times bestselling author, with such blockbuster books as Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, Healing ADD, Memory Rescue, Change Your Brain, Change Your Grades, and The Daniel Plan, co-authored by Pastor Rick Warren and myself. In March 2020, his book The End of Mental Illness will be published (and I highly recommend it).
This episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy is brought to you by ButcherBox. Now, through November 17, 2019, ButcherBox is offering its new customers a free, completely traceable from farm to fork, animal welfare certified turkey plus $20 off your first box. To take advantage of this special offer from ButcherBox just go to ButcherBox.com/farmacy OR enter promo code FARMACY at checkout.
Here are more of the details from this episode (video/audio):
- How Dr. Amen believes psychiatry has diminished itself as a profession (4:57 / 7:01)
- Why Dr. Amen dedicated his upcoming book, The End of Mental Illness, to his nieces (9:21 / 11:26)
- The 4 Circles Approach to looking at key factors that impact your mental and physical health (14:00 / 16:05)
- The prevalence of mental health issues and our diet (18:22 / 20:27)
- Neuroplasticity, the importance of increasing blood flow for brain health, and the type of sports proven to increase lifespan (22:34 / 24:39)
- BRIGHT MINDS: The 11 risk factors that steal your mind and how to avoid them (25:59 / 28:02)
- The couple who failed marital therapy and why brain rehab was the answer (40:42 / 42:47)
- Matching psychiatric medication and supplements to specific issues (46:19 / 48:24)
- How sleep apnea damages the brain (54:25 / 56:30)
- Tiny habits for brain health (56:58 / 59:03)