It’s always a good idea to keep healthy options around, so you don’t reach junk food when hunger strikes. These Za’atar Roasted Nuts are quick and easy to make for the perfect savory snack.
Nuts in general are high in fiber, protein, and fat. Cashews are a great source of the relaxing mineral magnesium, copper contributes to healthy skin and hair, and zinc supports a healthy immune system. Almonds are a great source of antioxidants and may help lower cholesterol. They contain biotin (B7), vitamin E, and minerals like copper, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and more.
Za’atar is a zesty Middle Eastern spice mixture that adds a unique flavor to this mix. These are sure to become a new favorite snack.
Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup almonds, raw
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup za’atar spice
- 1 tablespoon sumac (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, divided
- Juice from 1 lime, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients (including half of the maple syrup and half of the lime juice) and stir until combined.
4. Spread the nut mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until nuts appear brown and toasted. Turn the oven off, leaving the oven door slightly open, and let the nuts cool inside the oven. Toss with the remaining maple syrup and lime juice prior to serving and store in an airtight container.
Nutritional analysis per serving (about 1/4 cup): Calories: 206, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 6g, Carbohydrates: 9g, Net Carbs: 7g, Sugar: 3g, Sodium: 156mg